General A.P. Hill: The Story of a Confederate Warrior

General A.P. Hill: The Story of a Confederate Warrior

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  8 reviews
A Confederate general who ranks with Lee, Jeb Stuart, and Stonewall Jackson but whose achievements have been unfairly neglected until now, finally receives his due in this invaluable biography by a noted historian of the Civil War. Drawing extensively on newly unearthed documents, this work provides a gripping battle-by-battle assessment of Hill's role in Antietam, Frederi...more
Published April 12th 1987 by Random House (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about General A.P. Hill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about General A.P. Hill

Avis Black
Hill is a strangely modern and tragic character. As a lieutenant in the U.S army he was stationed in Florida during various conflicts with the Seminoles, yet in contrast to the usual racism of the time he was sympathetic to the Indians, noting that all they wanted was to be left alone. Possibly as a result of the stress of his duties he took to drink, though he later regained more moderate habits after he was transferred to other theaters. Sent in at the tail end of the Mexican War, he called th...more
Rachel
Initially, I did not think that I would like Ambrose Powell Hill, chiefly because I adore Stonewall Jackson and was not pleased with how Hill had acted toward Jackson. However, after reading this, I really came to know and understand Hill! He was a sensitive man, a loving husband and father, and a great division commander--far better than he was a corps commander. He was just better at leading his men when he could be a part of the action.

My heart goes out to this poor guy. He died an unfortuna...more
Drew
Robertson definitely sells Hill as one of the bravest Confederate commanders in the Civil War, but falls short in attempting to prove Hill as among the most brilliant generals. The author begins describing Hill's impressive early war accomplishments and then shows Hill's very mediocre mid-war performance, particularly after promotion to Corps command, at which he never excelled. I was also struck by Robertson's need to carry on the Confederate tradition of bad-mouthing every other general of sim...more
Monte Lamb
Lots of good information about this very important yet little known general in The Army of Norhtern Virginia. I learned a lot about how many ther officiers in the army had difficulties with Stonewall Jackson including Hill. I don't know if the author made his point that Hill was the best division commander in the army but never reached the same level at corps command. Even with this, it was a really good book and I learned a lot reading it.
Dad
Jun 18, 2007 Dad rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: steve.long@ipaper.com
This was the first book I read that really ignited my interest in the Civil War and the period that made our nation what it is today. I read Catton's series published in the 60's many years ago, but this one pushed me into the reading that I continue with today.
Joseph
Overlooked by many, General A.P. Hill fought in almost every major battle in the east. Great research,never before published letters and memoirs from men who served under him. A.P Hill finally takes his place along side Lee, Jackson and Stuart.
Hartley
Mr. Robertson does a very nice job showing the command under Hill has we follow his career.
Robert
very sad ending to a enigmatic general
Engine
Engine marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
David Duprey
David Duprey marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Josh Bradham
Josh Bradham marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Joe Owen
Joe Owen marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
Kris Delaurier
Kris Delaurier marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Michael Burns
Michael Burns marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2014
Scott Perry
Scott Perry marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
L D
L D added it
Dec 06, 2013
Gmoney.gold
Gmoney.gold marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2013
John
John marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
James I. Robertson Jr. is an Alumni Distinguished Professor of History at Virginia Tech. He published the definitive adult biography of Stonewall Jackson, Stonewall Jackson: The Man, the Soldier, the Legend, and also wrote Standing Like a Stone Wall for young adults. He lives in Blacksburg, Virginia.
More about James I. Robertson Jr....
Stonewall Jackson: The Man, the Soldier, the Legend Stonewall Jackson's Book of Maxims Tenting Tonight The Stonewall Brigade Soldiers Blue and Gray