Start by marking “Witness in Death (In Death, #10)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Witness in Death

J.D. Robb

Witness in Death (In Death #10)

4.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  19,695 Ratings  ·  570 Reviews
The year is 2059, and Eve Dallas, a New York City homicide lieutenant, is attending her husband's revival of Agatha Christie's thriller Witness for the Prosecution. Opening night at New York's new Globe Theater turns from stage scene to crime scene when the leading man is stabbed to death center stage. Now Eve Dallas has a high-profile celebrity homicide on her hands. Not ...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 547 pages
Published August 1st 2000 by Thorndike Press (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Witness in Death, please sign up.

Sara ♥ #11 – Judgment in Death.

Here's a link to the series here on goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/series/4102...

Or, you can get to that page from any…more
#11 – Judgment in Death.

Or, you can get to that page from any of the book's pages. Under the book's description, click "More Details..." then next to Series click "In Death #10".(less)

Breann

Eve & Roarke are such a wonderful couple and even though this is their tenth book, their relationship is still growing and changing. Eve really stretched herself in proving her love for Roarke. It was very sweet & endearing. Two words I never thought I'd associate with Eve. I loved it. On the flipside, Roake had an "insert foot in mouth" moment, which made this entire book worth the read.
The man does have faults! Smiley Praise Jesus! Smiley

Oh Peabody. The real star of the show. Smiley
Lisa Kay
The fabulous Marlene Dietrich in Agatha Christie’s wonderful “Witness for the Prosecution,” the play Roarke and Eve go to see.
description

& a Wow! & a Whoa! (This is a review of the audiobook.) Susan Ericksen narrates these characters as if she wrote them instead of J.D. Robb, she knows them that well. Her narration lets us know them better, too!

Loved this one. Adore all of them, actually, but this one was extra-extraordinary. I think it is one of the best in the series. The homage to Agatha Chris
Camila, the opinionated Catruler
Fully reviewing every book in the series makes no sense because the main characters are always on point. Sometimes some more are added to the squad, sometimes old faces become important. But at the end of the day, we'll never stop loving them. Especially McNab. If you don't worship McNab, you don't deserve to have the privilege to read this series.

However, what changes from book to book is the plot. Some are incredibly entertaining, some are creepy as fuck (the best ones always are). Some are ev
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Posted on Under the Covers

A man is murdered right before Lt. Eve Dallas’s eyes.

My favourite cop and her hunky husband Roarke go out to attend a play. Undoubtedly enjoying the fact that Roarke owns the theatre, Eve feels like she can finally relax a bit.

But when someone takes the death of a character into literal means and stabs the superstar of the show, Darco dies with a single stab through the heart.

Eve soon finds out that actors are very good liars because she is thrown this way and that way
Kjen
Feb 14, 2013 Kjen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, re-read
More Roarke and Eve re-read awesomeness! The seduction scene...omg!...no need to say more(; And then the ending: "You can't go back. Can't fix what broke. But you can go forward. And every step matters. Every one makes a difference." She cupped his face in her hands. "From where I'm standing, you're the best step I ever took." Sweeeeet!
Paula
Jun 05, 2015 Paula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great book in this series. As always the narrator makes this series so great.
İlkim
Bu yorumu Kitap Esintisi sayfasında bulabilirsiniz.

Bu kitabı aslında bir süre önce okudum, yalnız etrafımdan gelen baskılara dayanamayıp (!) yorumunu öne çektim. Şimdi kitapta Eve Dallas var, Roarke var, yazarı da Nora… Yani karakterleri övmekle zaman geçiremeyeceğim, çünkü ikisi de özellikle Roarke favorilerimden. Aşkları, aralarındaki ilişki, farklı kişilikleri, ortak geçmişleri sizi hala çekmediyse daha da çekmez zaten.

Bu kitapta Nora’nın zihnine girmeyi başardım nihayet. Öncelikle olaylardan
Tina
Jan 05, 2008 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, mystery
This is the 10th book of the In Death series.

It is the last gasp of winter in Early 2059. Eve and her husband, the megalicious billionaire Roarke are at the theatre (Roarke's, natch) on opening night of a performance of Agatha Christie's A Witness for the Prosecution.. In a case of life imitating art, the actor who plays the villainous Vole is murdered, right there on stage in front of the whole crowd. The prop knife replaced by a real one.

Who wanted the handsome lead actor dead? Well as it turn
Minh
Jul 08, 2010 Minh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I love the In Death series. I have read book 27 and am eagerly awaiting book 28. It's the ultimate in not so great chit lit mysteries. Combined with the Nora Roberts factor (don't be fooled by the JD Robb pen name), it will never be called one of the great mystery series, but I love it.

The character development is beyond slow, and probably everything that has happened to these characters (slowly slowly) could be condensed into 2 books at most. The thing I have the most problem with though is pr
Elvan
May 15, 2013 Elvan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read, audiobooks
I used to think this was one of my least favourite InDeaths. I've changed my mind. JD Robb shows us how the old adage of "show don 't tell" should be done. Two scenes are pure examples of this...well maybe three, the scene in the train station when Eve is hunting Kenneth Stiles, the laugh out loud ( and I did) scene where a drunken Peabody and Eve have a conversation during Peabody and McNabb's first date and finally the murderer reveal on stage where the original murder occurred. Masterful. Gre ...more
Susan (susayq ~)
I don't know if it's cause it's been such a long time since I read the last one in this series or what, but I loved this installment of this series! I found myself laughing in several places. I enjoyed the development of Peabody and McNab's relationship and I liked how Eve was more relatable in here. She seemed more vulnerable and she was easier to like :) I know I won't wait another 8 months before reading the next one ;)
Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim)
Still going along with the In-Death series. I keep expecting the characters to lose their appeal but they don't. Eve trying to do something special for Roarke was a good laugh. The mystery part is fairly obvious but the character development continues.

I keep thinking that I like Eve Dallas just as she is. Then she changes and grows and I like her even more.
PepperP0t
A night at the theater leads to Eve and Roarke being eyewitnesses to a shocking murder. The victim, a widely disliked but well respected
star of the stage. With plenty of suspects and motives, a convoluted mystery and other people's romances playing havoc with her sanity, Eve's a bit off-kilter.

This reader thought the mystery was lighter than usual and not quite captivating but it left room in the read for the well developed emotional components which this reader was more invested in. The lieut
Caz Malpas
4.5 Who the hell did it? 's

In the words of my favourite Irishman 'CHRIST, JESUS!!!'
That was a good one!

Roarke is still totally my dream man, with his irish sexiness oozing out of him, I'm so after his lucky charm!

The story as always was compelling, that alongside the secondary characters, whom I love more with each book, makes it an amazing read.

Have to admit I did a very childish snigger at the name of one of the characters......Mr Quim, lol, or at least that's what it sounded like on audio
Aya
Nov 14, 2015 Aya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, mystery
In Death: 10 (Reread)
Set a few weeks after the last book. In and around the main murder-mystery plot, the author manages to move forward on the growing attraction between Peabody and McNab, bring back Officer Truheart, who appeared a couple books ago, as well as retouch upon other recurring characters. It gives a feeling of depth to the series when side characters aren't just tossed aside when no longer necessary for the story. As far as the main mystery, there were too many suspects, and I foun
Shari Kay
Aug 23, 2015 Shari Kay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
3.5

I didn't like this one as much as some others, though I thought the who dun it was great and kept you guessing until the end.

My enjoyment of the In Death series seems to go the way of how much I like Eve in any particular installment. Sorry to say, I wasn't too keen on her this time around.

I find Eve can be a bit... hypocritical at times, and it rubs me the wrong way.

She sneers a lot, and can be very rude. Especially to people who are not looking down on her, but are only trying to do th
Catherine
I really liked the way this book started out, with Eve and Roarke out for a normal night out. As the series progresses we are seeing more and more of them in a normal couple environment, and I love it. It can’t always be about work. ;) Of course, they have the bad luck to witness a murder in the middle of their date, but the intent was still there. Eve is slowly becoming more than just the job.

Once again Robb keeps things fresh and offers up a completely different murder case for Eve. This time
Sassafrass
This series is just so fantastic.

I love how Eve is fighting hard with all she's got not become more human, but she just can't do it. Roarke is right there to help her along, but she's just so funny when she realizes how many friend she has.

This mystery was interesting. I couldn't really put it together or figure out how it was done this time. I had bits and pieces but the final reveal was a bit of a surprise to me. The theater, life imitating art and all that was very interesting. And of course,
Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave
These are just OK for me. They're entertaining but I would never pay money for them. Good to get on audio from the library once in a while. I just feel like each book is a little too much like the others. Eve has traumatic flashbacks and nightmares about her childhood. She has trouble relating to other people. Roark owns everything. Roark interferes with her case. She gets mad at him and they have sex.

Mildly entertaining but nothing I'd pay money to read.
Bigd_041555
Jan 04, 2016 Bigd_041555 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-reading
Every time I read this book, I like it more if that's possible. The whole world is a stage - basically sums up this book. Lies, deceit, and more lies - gotta love thespians!

Love the scene with Eve preparing for a seductive evening with Roarke - too funny, poor girl!

Still wondering about that cone-shaped thing that tinkles - I have no idea how that works ;)

5 stars and 2 thumbs up for Witness in Death - on to Justice in Death!

Teri-k
Two of the things that makes this series so readable are the facts that the characters are consistent yet gradually grow and change, and every book isn't exactly like all the others. Some of them are creepy, some very puzzling, in others you know who did it but not how Eve will catch them... In my favorites there plenty of humor. And this is one of my favorites. Eve tries to plan a romantic dinner for Raorke, McNabb asks Roarke for relationship advice, and Peabody gets sarcastic more than once. ...more
Büşra
Aug 04, 2011 Büşra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
kitap harikaydı :D eve summest dialoglarına hala gülüyorum.. Eve in sonunda hurda bilgisayarında kurtulması ve onu eve getirip benzetme planları yapması ama Roarke nin bu planlara limon sıkmasına çok güldüm :D haada gülüyorum aklıma geldikçe.. :p (roarke bilgisayarı almaya çalışınca,Eve in 'olamaz ya ürerse' demesi'falan mühişti.. hele bilgisayara teknoloji dünyasının deccali! dediği yerde koptum :D)
Glamdring
Aug 25, 2014 Glamdring rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*3,5 stars*
Trea
This story was very slow to get through! Normally, I can whip through an Eve Dallas story in a few hours, but this one just didn't hold my interest. It was too dramatic at times, and the story convoluted because of it. There were some definite surprising twists, which is why it earned more than a one star rating. While the development in the McNab/Peabody relationship was interesting, it was the only character development worth reading about in this story. I just felt like the author wasn't inve ...more
Heather
Oct 30, 2015 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, series, mystery
Futuristic Crime drama featuring Lieutenant Eve Dallas along with her ever expanding crew; husband Roarke, aide Peabody, E-detectives Feeney and McNab as well as some others that pop up.

In this novel the 'crime' happened right in front of Eve as well as all the other theater. Should be easy right? Wrong. Eve soon finds out everyone hated the victim, so many motives, so little clues and a whole lot of digging for Dallas.

I have to admit I didn't fully figure it all out before Eve Dallas. I had a h
ஐ Canan ஐ `·.¸¸.·´´¯`··._
baya ara vermiştim özlemişim resmen...
farkettim ki akıp giden sevdiğim kitaplara pek yorum yazamıyorum.
nedenine dair bir fikrim de yok..
seriye ayılıp bayılıyorum.Roarke'a aşık olma ihtimalim çok yüksek..
işte öyle birşey..
ilk satırlardan kendine çekiyor insanı..ben eğlenerek ve severek okudum..önerilir..

Eve, kadehini eline aldı, kocasının yüzünü seyretmeye koyuldu.
Ne yüz ama. diye geçirdi içinden. İnsanı afallatan bir
erkek güzeli olsun ve kadınların hormonları bayram etsin
diye, sanki sihirle biçi
Andree
Jun 09, 2013 Andree rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Well, this was a not very productive use of a Sunday afternoon.

Still, I liked this one. I liked the setting. Setting it in the theatre was a nice touch.

Peabody continues to be awesome. I adore her relationship with Eve. Best part of the book is when they were arging over Charles Munroe (and Eve trying to shield Peabody from his extraordinarily tangential involvement in the case) and Munro walks into the room. They both yell "Get out!" and he takes one look at them and essentially runs. They figh
Charlotte (Buried in Books)
Books-treasureortrash
Book Review: 2 Treasure Boxes

The Banter between Eve and Roake is fun to read. I also like Eve's self-talk. Eve is tough, smart and focused yet she also is tender-hearted, especially in how she deals with women who have been abused. Her past affects her and is brought into the front of her mind whenever her current case triggers it. In this book, the discovered incest between the victim and his daughter is a sure trigger and Eve's reaction is heart-wrenching. It is really sweet when she turns to
J.D. Robb : Buddy Read - Witness In Death (Feb. 2014) SPOILER ZONE 80 49 Nov 27, 2014 03:01PM
J.D. Robb : Witness In Death (Spoiler Zone) 14 68 Oct 01, 2014 11:10PM
Readers of Kindle...: Witness in Death #10 2 9 Feb 16, 2012 08:24AM
  • Remember When (In Death, #17.5)
  • Hades
  • Orchid (St. Helen's, #3)
  • Kiss Me While I Sleep (CIA Spies, #3)
  • Over the Edge (Troubleshooters, #3)
J.D. Robb writes police procedurals set in the near future.

Naked in Death is the first book in what was initially meant to be trilogy about Eve Dallas, a NY police lieutenant with a dark past. In that first book she meets the mysterious Roarke, who is a suspect in the case. By the time the third book in that initial trilogy was in stores readers clamored for more.

Twenty years later, Devoted in Dea
More about J.D. Robb...

In Death (1 - 10 of 43 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death, #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Judgment in Death (In Death, #11)

“I hate patience. Slows everything down.” 99 likes
“Today," she told it, "death comes to all your circuits. Will it be slow and systematic or fast and brutal?" Considering, she circled it, "Tough decision. I've waited so long for this moment. Dreamed of it."

Showing her teeth, she began to roll up her sleeves.

"What," Roarke asked from the doorway that connected their work areas, "is that?"

"The former bane of my existence. The Antichrist of technology. Do we have a hammer?"

Studying the pile on the floor, he walked in. "Several, I imagine, of various types."

"I want all of them. Tiny little hammers, big, wallbangers, and everything in between."

"Might one ask why?"

"I'm going to beat this thing apart, byte by byte, until there's nothing left but dust from the last trembling chip."

"Hmmm." Roarke crouched down, examined the pitifully out-of-date system. "When did you haul this mess in here?"

"Just now. I had it in the car. Maybe I should use acid, just stand here and watch it hiss and dissolve. That could be good."

Saying nothing, Roarke took a small case out of his pocket, opened it, and chose a slim tool. With a few deft moves, he had the housing open.

"Hey! Hey! What're you doing?"

"I haven't seen anything like this in a decade. Fascinating. Look at this corrosion. Christ, this is a SOC chip system. And it's cross-wired."

When he began to fiddle, she rushed over and slapped at his hands. "Mine. I get to kill it."

"Get a grip on yourself," he said absently and delved deeper into the guts. "I'll take this into research."

"No. Uh-uh. I have to bust it apart. What if it breeds?”
76 likes