Start by marking “Portrait in Death (In Death, #16)” as Want to Read:
Portrait in Death (In Death, #16)

Portrait in Death (In Death #16)

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  19,980 ratings  ·  410 reviews
After a tip from a reporter, Eve Dallas finds the body of a young woman in a Delancey Street dumpster. Just hours before, the news station had mysteriously received a portfolio of professional portraits of the woman. The photos seemed to be nothing out of the ordinary for any pretty young woman starting a modeling career. Except that she wasn't a model. And that these phot ...more
Audio CD , Abridged, 0 pages
Published November 28th 2007 by Brilliance Audio (first published January 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Portrait in Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Portrait in Death

Ren
Jun 12, 2012 Ren rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Roarke groupies, Eve's die hard fans
Recommended to Ren by: Why? Its Roarke. I must read this!
Re-read Oct, 21st 2011

Contain spoilers (so, yes people!! Continue read this series!)

Portrait in Death is my favorite book of In Death series. Well, I love all In Death books, but my favorite is just a few. And each of that book always have special moment. My favorites include :
- Naked in Death (Roarke and Eve's first meeting at the curch, any readers will not forget about that moment. Really powerful!)
- Vengeance in Death (Roarke's past and well this one have one of my favorite Eve-Roarke's sex
Tina
This is the 16th book in the In Death series.

It is August 2059 and it is hot in the city. Eve catches a case where a killer kidnaps, kills and then photographs young college students. And while Eve is busily off tracking down a serial killer, Roarke learns a devastating truth about his past.

JD Robb continues to march on with her crazily addicting series featuring the tough as nails bitch cop, Eve Dallas and her seriously delicious billionaire husband Roarke.

The mystery/slash police procedure in
Aly is so frigging bored
I forgot to add one of my favorite quotes from the book:
"What's that? Is that chocolate? Real chocolate?"
"What?" Panicked, Eve shoved the hand behind her back. "I don't know what you're talking about. I'm working here."
"I can smell it." To prove it, Peabody sniffed the air like a wolf. "That's not chocolate substitute, that's not soy. That's real goods."
"Maybe. And it's mine."
"Just let me have a little—" Peabody's gasp was shocked and heartfelt as Eve stuffed the remaining chunk in her mouth. "O
Elvan
There are so many great scenes in this book. Where do I begin? I had forgot that Patrick Roarke shows up in one of Eve's dreams. Major creepy. I love a killer in plain sight. It's one of my favourite scenarios. I may have a wee beef as to why facial recognition was not used when they had the killers name, but I will forgive JD as there is just so much to love in Portrait. Peabody gets some great lines and really comes into her own as her relationship post Purity injuries to McNabb solidifies. Ad ...more
**Manjula**
**mild spoilers (plot summary)**

Portrait in Death started out slow. It starts with Eve jumping up and down with joy because her husband's majordomo is going on a 3 week vacation. Yes, that right! Summerset is going back to Ireland for a vacation. Unfortunately, he gets laid up. The cat of all things causes his fall.
Meanwhile, watching Summerset fall has taken ten years off of Roarke's life. He has his hands full juggling his schedule around and taking care of Summerset.
Eve reluctantly takes pers
Kjen
Possibly my favorite In Death...but it is so hard to choose. I. Love. Them. All! Eve landing in the field of cows (you're telling me) and Roarke's reaction to her (you must really love me) and Roarke's Aunt's reaction to all of it...priceless! Possibly my favorite scene...but it is so hard to choose. There. Are. So. Many! The case really is secondary in Portrait which is not a problem for me. Loved the advice and counsel that Eve got from Feeney, Mavis, and Mira during Roarke's "breaking of the ...more
Kerry
I loved this one. I flew through it when I've been struggling a bit with other books, so that was great too.

Like most of the books in this series, while it has a good solid crime (more of one that some of the last few), it's really about Eve and Roarke's continued learning curve about love and marriage.

This time it's Roarke's past that comes up to bite them, and boy is it a biggie, as pretty much everything he thought he knew about himself gets turned upside down. He doesn't handle it well, shut
Bigd_041555
Portrait in Death is one of my favourites in the ID series. Roarke learns about his family and has a bit of a time with it. The killer is a pathetic individual that is tough to detest - but murder is never an answer.

I like some of the side characters, in particular Dirk Hastings, the photographer or is that portographer :) No nonsense with him.

Sadly we learn about Crack's sister and his real name - very emotional part of the book - one of many in this one.

5 stars and 2 thumbs up - great read. On
Andree
I enjoyed this one. The balance between Eve and Roarke is getting better. And the Eve/Somerset dynamic continues to be amazing. Particularly as Somerset gets hurt (broken leg) and requires care. That was the best part of the book for me, the Eve/Sommerset dynaimc. It's really charming. Then Roarke has a family crisis. And Eve takes care of him (complete wtih drugging his drink), AND Sommerset and Eve ally themselves together and it is great. Not sure how I feel about Roarke (view spoiler) ...more
Merredith
This was the 16th book in the In Death Eve Dallas series. This is a long series! I read it over a vacation weekend – great reading for a long trip cross country in the plane. The mystery in this one was good, but what was even better was the human interactions between the core characters. Gruff Summerset falls down the stairs and is laid up for a bit, and it was endearing to see how much everyone cared for him. Even better were the interactions between Eve and him as they tried to help the man t ...more
Reeva Cloete
In my opinion the best book in the whole series. Roarke learns about his mother, does not know how to deal with his emotions and takes it out on both Eve and Summerset. He meets his family in Ireland for the first time - powerfully emotional stuff. I had to reach for the tissues!

Eve's conversation with Feeney where he tells her that Raorke is bleeding from the heart and needs her - awesome!

The "scene" where Eve had to tell Crack about his sister and where she comforted him later on - again power
Sam
This one wasn't as good as the others. Mainly because half the book was about the murder/mystery and the other half was about Roarke's back story. Don't get me wrong, I love a bit of Roarke but this story wasn't doing it for me. It made him seem real instead of this ultimate perfect man (that's just my opinion :-P) Eve & Roarke have a huge fight in this too, it made me a little upset (not crying upset but weird feeling upset, if you get me). Also, the basis behind the killers motive sounds a ...more
mlady_rebecca
Beyond Eve's murder case - a photographer who liked to capture pictures of his victims at the point of death, Roarke also has a meaty storyline all his own. A passel of relatives he never knew about comes out of the woodwork. Will they blame him for who he used to be, who his father used to be, or will his welcome be unexpectedly ... normal?

Engaging story, especially Roarke's family matter. It was also sweet to see how tightly intertwined Roarke and Eve are, and how much they need each other.

Oh,
Betty
Robb hasn't run out of steam yet. I'd have to check, but if think this is the first book in the series that I've given five stars to. It was probably really only four and a half, but the backstory for Roarke was so perfect that I rounded up.
This was possibly my favorite In Death book yet. The murder mystery seemed secondary to the advancement of Eve and Roarke's relationship, which is pretty exceptional considering the pair has been together since book one. We got a big surprise about Roarke's past, and we got to see him fall apart a little. This was a relief, since it's usually Eve doing the falling apart. His more paternalistic traits can be irritating, so it was nice to see Eve dose his soup with a tranq instead of the other way ...more
Alana ~ The Book Pimp
Really good one in the series, and finally, it's Rourke that makes an ass out of himself and acts like the younger one, emotionally, in the marriage. But nobody is perfect, not even Rourke. It's a good mix of everyone I love in the series (Peabody and Sumerset - sorry about any misspellings but I listen to the audio and the names are not exactly spelled out.) And how freaky was that dream Dallas had? *Shiver*

Overall, a great addition to the series and reinforces my love and urge to continue.
Katy M
Light and shadows...

I never put spoilers in my reviews.
J D Robb (Nora Roberts) is one of the few authors I reread. Everything about the "in death" novels is quality writing and defies genre labeling.
From the relationship between Dallas and Rourke, the mystery/thriller storyline, an extremely strong female role model, the secondary characters, the setting, well, everything you just can't wait for the next one. Robb shows that a woman can be strong and capable despite soul crippling events in her
Kris
4.5 STARS

"After a tip from a reporter, Eve Dallas finds the body of a young woman in a Delancey Street dumpster. Just hours before, the news station had mysteriously received a portfolio of professional portraits of the woman. The photos seemed to be nothing out of the ordinary for any pretty young woman starting a modeling career. Except that she wasn't a model. And that these photos were taken after she had been murdered. Now Dallas is on the trail of a killer who's a perfectionist and an art
Nicole
I didn't think the murder portion of this book was at the same level as previous In Death installments but I love that we are getting more and more personal story of Eve and Roarke.

A twisted photographer is posing, killing, and photographing exemplary examples of 20-ish year olds - capturing their light and incorporating it into his own body before they fully die. He tips off Nadine Furst who, of course, gives Eve the advanced warning, and sets the NY Police on the trail of a killer with few lea
Robin
When Reporter Nadine Furst receives photographs of a dead girl along with a message telling where to find her body, she immediately calls Lt. Eve Dallas. Eve investigates and soon finds herself on the trail of a serial killer who takes photos of his victims before disposing of them. Meanwhile, Roarke's world is shaken when he discovers the woman he thought was his mother really wasn't his mother at all.

This is another good mystery which, as usual, I didn't figure out whodunit. But what makes thi
Anette
It seems that after each new In Death book, I say this was the best one yet.... But this one has to take that title! The first time in the series the murder takes a back seat to a very dramatic personal storyline involving Roarke. I don't want to reveal anything, except to say that Ireland is involved. We learn more about his human side, and that he can make really bad decisions when it comes to emotional things. But in the end the love between them is so much stronger than anything else.
The mur
Cherry Mischievous
This is the book where we see more of Roarke's past and gives more diverse angle to the character. This is also the In Death book where the villain is not always the villain as opposed to the previous books where the villains are easy to hate and we cheer Eve on for winning on the side of good again. For those two salient points alone, this book rates high for me.
Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim)
What can I say? Every one of my reviews of the 'In Death' books sounds the same. Eve is the best. Roarke is great. The characters are what keep me coming back for more. And Peabody still has the best lines. This one had a bit more emotion than usual and it had to deal with photography. It's a wonder I didn't bump it up to five stars.
Jaci
I have shelved J.D. Robb [and Nora Roberts] for decades. I thought it was time to read one and see what keeps these circulating. Took me three weeks to finish Portrait in Death and I probably won't read any more. Swimming in shallow water comes to mind.
Karen
I love the JD Robb series. I love they way Nora Roberts writes. Her dialogs are amazingly written. If you have never picked up one of the books in this series... all I can say is.. What ARE you waiting for? An engraved invitation?
Sherry
Although the mystery plot is quite good, this installment didn’t hold my
attention, although I still consider it a must read for the “In Death” series,
this title has important background on Rourke and his beginnings in Ireland.
Magpie67
Mad pyscho on the loose.... Lost his marbles after the death of his momma and is trying to live forever. J.D. Robb packs a punch in every book in this series. I'm soooooo addicted.
Michelle(Chelle) aka Nightshade - Cake Whisperer
I loved this book and one of the main reasons....I had absolutely no idea who the murderer was. love when that happens.

This book had a lot of really funny back & forths between all the characters. It also had some very poignant moments and I cried. Some of the emotional stuff that Roarke was going through hurt my heart. Of course there were also a few times when I wanted to smack Roarke right upside the head during this book. But I have to give Eve credit, I think she did everything right in
  • Sacred Sins (SS/BV, #1)
  • Don't Look Down (Samantha Jellicoe, #2)
  • Zinnia (St. Helen's, #2)
  • Over the Edge (Troubleshooters, #3)
aka:
Sarah Hardesty
Jill March
Nora Roberts

Eleanor Marie Robertson was born on October 10, 1950 in Silver Spring, Maryland, U.S.A. She was the youngest of the five children, also the only girl, of a marriage with Irish ancestors. Her family were avid readers, so books were always important in her life. She attended a Catholic school and credits the nuns with instilling in her a sense of discipline.
More about J.D. Robb...
Naked in Death (In Death, #1) Glory in Death (In Death, #2) Immortal in Death (In Death, #3) Rapture in Death (In Death, #4) Promises in Death (In Death, #28)

“I couldn't fall out of love with you if I fell all the way to hell.” 20 likes
“Marriage isn't for the weak or lazy. It's work, and it should be. What would be the point otherwise?” 10 likes