Start by marking “Memory in Death (In Death, #22)” as Want to Read:
Memory in Death (In Death, #22)

Memory in Death (In Death #22)

4.31  ·  Rating Details  ·  19,769 Ratings  ·  480 Reviews
Eve Dallas is one tough cop. She’s got no problem dealing with a holiday reveler in a red suit who plunges thirty-seven stories and gives new meaning to the term “sidewalk Santa.” But when she gets back to the station and Trudy Lombard shows up, it’s all Eve can do to hold it together. Instantly, she’s plunged back into the past, to the days when she was a vulnerable, trau ...more
Audio CD , Abridged, 0 pages
Published June 28th 2006 by Brilliance Audio (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Memory in Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Memory in Death

Jilly
Aug 07, 2016 Jilly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I liked Eve for most of this book. She's sarcastic as always, but has become nicer to Roarke over time and even expresses her love for him more freely now. Of course, she has a cat which is usually a strike against a book character for me. You know I'm a dog person. But, at least she routinely expresses disdain for this cat.

"I've got this fat cat hanging around. I think we should torment him on Christmas, make him wear some of those antler things. You know, like a reindeer."

(Roarke:)"Undermine
Dianna
Apr 23, 2016 Dianna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series-reading
Oh, that Eve Dallas. If you've gotten to this (book 24!) in the Eve Dallas series, you don't need my review. You're reading it anyway. Good luck. It's pretty much the same as the rest. Can I finish this series already so I can get back to reading REAL books?

I know people say I shouldn't be ashamed of what I read. I'm not particularly ashamed of reading this series, but of having been sucked in.

I feel a bit like Guy Montag's wife. Roarke and Mavis and Peabody have all become my family. I've star
Aly is so frigging bored
2nd read 15-22 December 2015

1st Read from August 24 to September 02, 2013
Quotes:
“Personalized game, and what you do is start out at the bottom. Pretty much wits only. Then you can earn money, arms, land. Build stuff, fight wars. You can pull in other people—we're all in there. And take on famous foes and stuff. You can cheat, steal, barter, and bloody. But there are a lot of traps, so you can end up broke, destitute, in a cage or tortured by your enemies. Or you can end up ruling the known unive
Maria
This book has several pluses. Only one dead person and that person deserves it. No blood and gore and random violence. We learn more about Eve's early life, this time about her life in a foster home. It also brings out some of the uglier side of Eve when she and Roarke have a fight. And some of her better side as she really thinks about the people she has come to love and depend on and picks out gifts that they will love. There are many great scenes. Dennis Mira putting his arm around Eve and Ev ...more
Ren
Re-read Oct, 23rd 2011

Well, duh! You can't get wrong with this series! ;P.
Even I know some people said the case and the pattern of the story are recycled over and over, you will find a bits of information here. BTW, Memory in Death is unique. While another books in this series have multiple victims, Memory in Death just have one victim (2 actually, but the other just got hurt not killed). Even I can guess who's the culprit from the beginning, its doesn't make my enjoyable to read less.

Avid reade
Venus Blancia
There are several reasons why this 22nd book in the series is very positively frustrating.
1. Roarke and Eve relationship came very established thus far.
2. Roarke, a bilionaire, enigmatic and handsome is an understatement, is still willingly giving up whatever multi-million dollar business deal just to see and comfort Eve of her nightmares.
3. Friends of the Roarke and Eve enjoy big deal of Christmas gifts.
4. Eve does not care how rich her husband is, does not go shopping, and does not ask spend a
Jenny Delandro
even though there is a formula at work here I still want to read and soak up all the moments one by one

to say that I want my own Roarke is an understatement!
There is just no way that couple can articulate their frustration and anger and resolve everything so neatly... I want that too. Normal people hold on to hurt too long.

Everyone should have their kind of marriage

I love reading about it.... I love that although she does not like shopping, but she will search for the exact present that will be
Lou Douglas
Oct 25, 2014 Lou Douglas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is one of my favorites in the series. There is some back story filled in on Eve's childhood, which is great. Eve is standing for a victim she really hated. I love that it doesn't make her any less determined to find the killer. Of course, in this case, there really weren't a lot of suspects, but figuring out the killer, the plan, the way it all played out was interesting, particularly as Trudy's character (or lack thereof) was revealed in Eve's memories and the experiences of the other ...more
Penni
I enjoyed a lot of aspects of this installment of In Death. Having it hit home so hard for Eve was at first very difficult. But as usual, and with Roarkes' help, she got on top of it. It was good I think overall for her in the end - she had to face and deal with many aspects of her past and of her nature.

Because the murder was not particularly harrying from a time and danger aspect, as the focus was on the emotional aspects, it wasn't as "I can't put this down for a second" as it normally is.

Th
Bigd_041555
Feb 15, 2016 Bigd_041555 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favourite books in the series. We get a very good glimpse of Eve's horrible childhood after she was named and placed with the first of the foster homes - a terrible experience for her. We can't help side with her when she rants at Roarke about everything he touches turns to gold and everything she touches just fails I guess is the best word. But we also side with her when she apologizes profusely to Roarke.

Two thumbs up and 5 stars - on to Born in Death - I've decided not to re-read th
Kara-karina
Jun 15, 2016 Kara-karina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love how protective Eve and Roarke are about each other, and this book is a perfect example of that trait. This is more of a clash of characters without a ton of action, a case of blackmail, awakened inner demons and straight out, classic who'd-done-it investigation. Recommended.

* * *

Я люблю как Ив и Роарк сражаются друг за друга и всегда готовы подставить друг другу плечо. Эта книга медленная, с минимальным экшном и с большим классическим у-кого-мотив? расследованием, шантажом и борьбой с вну
Reen
This was not one of my favourites mostly due to the fact that I hated both Zana and Trudy. Trudy was one of Eve's foster mothers and a true "wicked step mother" and you get a glimpse of what Eve went through in those early years. Zana is one of those TSTL characters and I knew early on who the killer would be. Bobby is just a hapless dupe who allowed his mother to run his life but you still feel sorry for him and all he went through at the end. I guess it a sign of a great writer that you can di ...more
Yuli Pritania
Jadi saya mulai histeris sejak membaca adegan Roarke mengancam Trudy. Seksi abis, bikin gerah, aww... ini bakal jadi cinta sejati saya seumur hidup. Mr. Roarke. Karakter fiktif pria paling sempurna dan paling susah bikin move on buat saya.

Novel ini lebih kental unsur psikologinya, baik dari Eve, korban, maupun penjahatnya. Lebih banyak adegan ringan yang super manis. Saya terutama paling suka adegan Eve nangis di pundak Mr. Mira. Hubungannya ama Roarke juga makin mendalam, terutama karena mereka
Aya
May 14, 2016 Aya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, mystery
In Death: 22 (reread)
It is coming up on Christmas, Eve's least favorite holiday. The author does a good job with maintaining continuity. Eve keeps mentoring Peabody, giving her more responsibilities on cases. Celina Sanchez from book 19 is now in court, and Peabody gets to testify. There's also a reference to Big Jack (book 17.5). Mavis's pregnancy continues to progress without problems. This is a more leisurely plot than normal. It takes about a third of the way through the book for the main my
Kathy Davie
First read July 5, 2010, March 26, 2011, August 18, 2014, and September 1, 2015.

Oh yes!! Eve confronts another piece of her past and Roarke incurs her wrath when he comes to the rescue.
Michelle(Chelle) aka Nightshade - Cake Whisperer
My favorite part about this book was when Roarke & Eve spent Christmas Eve and Day together. I was so pleased they got to finally take a little time for themselves.

The crime for me in this one honestly wasn't that interesting except for how it brought more of the picture of Eve's past into focus. I figured out who did it and pretty much the connection by around chapter 10, so the rest of the story-line was pretty much filler. But what I really enjoyed yet again was Eve's interactions with th
Thenia
Aug 26, 2014 Thenia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An unwelcome surprise arrival of somebody from Eve's past forces her to take a trip down memory lane and remember things she'd rather not.

Thankfully, Eve has a more or less perfect husband in Roarke, who offsets the ugliness her past has brought back into her life. It's the second Christmas the two spend together and they have become closer than ever.

I'm really enjoying Eve's adventures, her world and the people surrounding her.

Next in the series comes Haunted in Death, a short story where Eve's
Gisele
Dec 26, 2014 Gisele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Friends give you a cushion for the fall, even when you think you don’t need or want one.”

Con Memoria ante la muerte regresamos al pasado de Eve, ahora siendo victima de chantaje por parte de Trudy Lombard, la antigua encargada de su hogar de acogida tras el incidente en Dallas cuando era pequeña. El libro nos brinda la misma esencia de los anteriores pero tiene una falta de dinamica entre asesinato-asesino que te hace arrancarte de los pelos pero te compensa la lectura con muchos vistazos a la
Angie ~aka Reading Machine~
Lieutenant Eve Dallas of NYPSD is thrown back into the past by a visit from her foster mother Trudy Lombard. Eve is thrown down memory lane that leads to nightmares and memories best forgotten. Roarke discovers Eve in the shower trying to get warm with little success. He hates how the power of the past takes hold of Eve. When Trudy Lombard is found dead in her hotel room, it's up to Eve to discover the killer by diving into the past. Meanwhile it's the Christmas season which means that Eve must ...more
Jennifer (FFT Reviews)
Warning! This review contains minor spoilers for earlier books in the In Death series.

Fans of the In Death series are already aware that Lieutenant Eve Dallas dealt with some tough stuff in her childhood. Memory in Death deals with Eve's past, but takes a different approach by focusing on what happened to her after being discovered in a hotel room at eight years old. While it was not my favorite of the series by far, I found this one to be enjoyable and a great example of how good JD Robb is at
Discoverylover
Wow...another superb one from Robb, and I think I'm gonna add the rest of the series to my wishlist! A really good crime novel...still love the characters and the writing style!

I recently read 'Survivor in Death' and loved it, so when this surfaced at our monthly meetup I grabbed it, despite the fact that I'm not supposed to be taking books....

(From Amazon) "Eve Dallas is one tough cop. She can take on purse snatchers, drug dealers, and worse. But when Trudy Lombard - a seemingly ordinary middle
Filipa
Memory in Death is the 22nd book in In Death series by J.D.Robb.
After all those books it was natural to see a slight change of rhythm. This book is a great example of that.
This is been a great series so far but it is normal to start to loose the excitement. I have to say, in defence of the author of which I'm a great fan, until this book I've never felt any change in my enthusiasm for the books in this series.
But this Memory in Death was different in every aspect.
It started out okay, with cert
Tina
Feb 21, 2008 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, mystery
This is the 22nd book in the In Death series.

Christmas is just around the corner and soon Eve and her friends will be saying goodbye to the year 2059. Walking into her office after closing a case of "death by stupidity" Eve spies a woman sitting at her desk. Asking the woman her name, she gives Eve a bewildered look and says "Why honey, don't you know me, I'm your mama."

The woman is Trudy Lombard one of Eve's foster parents a vicious woman then and a vicious blackmailer now. Kicking her out of t
Jonetta
Jul 04, 2011 Jonetta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eve Dallas walks into her office and immediately is confronted with her past. There sits Trudy Lombard, one of her foster parents during her time in Dallas, a woman who'd best be described as "Mommie Dearest." Unprepared, Eve handles the situation poorly and has a physical reaction that levels her. When Roarke discovers what has happened, he smartly realizes it won't be long before Trudy will visit him for a shakedown. This book is worth the read if solely to read that scene!

That's all I'll shar
mlady_rebecca
One of Eve's former foster mothers comes to New York to try to blackmail money out of Roarke. Her appearance initially shakes Eve so much that she leaves work in the middle of a case, dumping everything on Peabody. (Granted, it's a straightforward case and Peabody was already taking the lead.)

Having no luck with Eve, Trudy confronts Roarke directly. Roarke scares the shit out of her with the threat of what he'll do if she doesn't walk away. A few days later, after a pause for a fancy Christmas p
Alana ~ The Book Pimp
OK... well, I admit, I heard the first chapter or two as a free preview at the end of Origin in Death... and fuck me gently with a chainsaw if that wasn't a hook of a first few chapters that made me full stop and go spend yet another of my precious audible credits to keep the story going...

It was nice to see Dallas loose it a bit. I know that's a little mean, she has mini-meltdowns often in the form of nightmares anyway... but this was a surprise attack and it was interesting to see how it all w
Vicki
Couldn't find the library book I was reading for two days, so I'm glad I buy these books in five-packs. Very handy thing to have on the Nook. This one was pretty interesting, although I'm always a bit disappointed when I can spot the killer right off the bat.
Magpie67
Funny, awesome, and very witty at times. Another look into Eve's world as she grew up and not so wonderful. Eve's past has made the woman she is and when a bit of the past comes looking for her, she needs to re-evalute her soul. Before she can do her own kicking, the past (her foster mother) is murdered. Checking into this mess leads to multiple other suspects, woman that were torture during their stay with Trudy. Eve seeks justice for the dead woman because its her job. Another title that lead ...more
Sue
Sep 27, 2014 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-suspense
Sorry J.D., this book had some great moments and I always love it when Eve is forced to do normal i.e. Xmas Holidays. But I spotted the killer about a third of the way through and that was disappointing. Not one of the best, but Susan Ericksen again delivered on the voicing. I'm so spoiled by her, I won't even READ the books.
Sam
Dec 07, 2013 Sam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this series SO much! I always know I'm going to enjoy them. This one wasn't any different. The only small complaint I have is that the murder case wasn't all that difficult to figure out and I felt like there was a lot of 'filler' to make up the story.

I find myself wanting to continue straight onto the next one once I've finished but I don't want to go through them too quickly, I like having them as a treat book.

It was the perfect one to read because this one was set during Christmas tim
J.D. Robb : Buddy Read - Memory In Death (Nov. 2014) Spoiler Zone 56 20 Dec 09, 2014 05:47AM
J.D. Robb : Memory In Death (Spoiler Zone) 27 77 Apr 27, 2014 04:36AM
  • Remember When (In Death, #17.5)
  • Twice the Temptation (Samantha Jellicoe, #4)
  • Touching Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #4)
  • Orchid (St. Helen's, #3)
  • Hades
J.D. Robb writes police procedurals set in the near future.

Naked in Death is the first book in what was initially meant to be trilogy about Eve Dallas, a NY police lieutenant with a dark past. In that first book she meets the mysterious Roarke, who is a suspect in the case. By the time the third book in that initial trilogy was in stores readers clamored for more.

Twenty years later, Devoted in Dea
More about J.D. Robb...

In Death (1 - 10 of 44 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death, #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)

“You have heard the expression 'love is blind'"

"I think it's bullshit. Lust dazzles, sure, at least for the short term. But love clears the vision. You see better, sharper, because you feel more that you did before”
57 likes
“Far be in from me to dictate how you should assuage your guilt. Do you have a lot of it?"

She bit his good shoulder. "You're about to find out."

She toppled them both off the bench and onto the mat. "Well, ouch. I take it guilt doesn't bring out your gentler side.”
14 likes