Start by marking “Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)” as Want to Read:
Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)

Ceremony in Death (In Death #5)

4.26  ·  Rating Details  ·  26,708 Ratings  ·  856 Reviews
Conducting a top secret investigation into the death of a fellow police officer has Lieutenant Eve Dallas treading on dangerous ground. She must put professional ethics before personal loyalties. But when a dead body is placed outside her home, Eve takes the warning personally. With her husband, Roarke, watching her every move, Eve is drawn into the most dangerous case of ...more
Audiobook, Abridged, 6 pages
Published January 28th 2002 by Brilliance Audio (first published May 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Ceremony in Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ceremony in Death

Jilly
Jul 08, 2016 Jilly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This one was fun, but I think I might have done a little bit of laughing for the wrong reasons. You see, Eve is supposed to be the very best cop in homicide and yet she ALWAYS - in every book - arrests or detains the wrong person at some point. And, she OFTEN gets rescued by her billionaire husband, Roarke-not-a-cop. But, I love the series anyway. Usually because of Roarke. He is the Irish Cream in my coffee.

maybeeeee....

(okay, if my husband sees this, I am denying everything. I will say I wrote
Duchess Nicole
I think that this is my favorite of the series so far. I mean, there wasn't anything wholly new other than the fact that Roarke played more than a token lover/husband role in this one....the man gets to show his protective side in a major way. You know how he's always toning Eve down, bringing her back down to earth with his sexy little Irish yumminess? Welp, he loses control here. There's NOTHING hotter than when Mr. Control loses said control in the bedroom. Nothing.

And after giving Eve someth
Phrynne
May 06, 2016 Phrynne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As far as I am concerned J.D. Robb can do no wrong and this particular book is one of my special favourites. Peabody and Eve are developing their beautiful relationship and their dialogue is brilliant. Roarke and Eve continue to be very much in love and also have some delightful interchanges. The police work is good, the element of mystery is always present and the ending is exciting and a bit scary. Oh and of course the author makes us reach for the tissue box with some tear jerking moments. Di ...more
Mo
Dec 09, 2015 Mo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another solid read. I love these two, Roarke and Eve - although maybe their "together" time is few and far between. Would like some more sexy times for the two of them

I dip in every so often. I reckon if I read one a year I might be finished the series by the time I am 95!!

The abused child from the mean streets of Dublin had done what he'd needed to do to survive.

Felicia
Jan 10, 2009 Felicia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I love this series so much. Sometimes the plots get so ridiculous that I laugh out loud, and yet the characters are so great, the rapport so wonderful, I can't help but want to take the ride with them, wherever it goes.
Lauren
Ceremony in Death
4 Stars

Homicide Lieutenant Eve Dallas is forced to put aside her personal loyalties when she investigates the suspicious death of a fellow officer. When several other victims die in horrific circumstances, Eve finds herself embroiled in a conflict between opposing forces of good and evil that eventually leads her to a confrontation that may force her to play the ultimate price…

The best installment so far both in terms of the investigation and the character development.

The dichot
Carolyn
Aug 28, 2015 Carolyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, mystery

I'm really enjoying this series now and getting to know the main characters - Eve, Peabody, Roarke, Mavis and Feeney and how they will behave and react. This might sound as if the books could become a bit predictable but they're not at all. Robb manages to keep the stories fresh and introduces enough new elements to keep us interested and wanting to keep dipping into Eve's life.

In this episode Eve is investigating what looks like the natural death of a fellow police colleague when his granddaug
Catherine
I've jumped back into this series after taking a little break. I didn't want to accidentally exhaust the series for myself. It was great getting back into Eve's world! I'm listening to this series in audiobook, because I've found that this narrator makes this world come alive for me. If you are interested in giving audiobooks a try or you're looking for a new audiobook, I recommend this series. The narrator rocks! Especially when she does Roarke's voice. Am I supposed to find a female imitating ...more
Lisa Kay
This series just keeps getting better. Susan Ericksen is an excellent narrator and has developed the tone in the characters voices to perfection. She is so talented she can do Officer (Delia) Peabody with a cold, LOL! This one is about witches – both good and evil. And Captain (Ryan) Feeney and Homicide Detective Eve Dallas get into a doozey of a falling out. Can the relationship be mended? By the way, this one is Halloween Perfect, as they attend a Halloween Party in costume. ...more
Tilly Slaton
As much as I appreciate a good paranormal book, this book left me suffering.

Surrounded by witches, good and evil, Eve betrays a dear friend and puts the job first.

This book really hits home with Eve. A suspect is the son of a serious psycho serial killer and rapist who worshipped satan. The father raped and beat his own son. Blinded by her emotions, Eve wishes and hopes that the man is innocent, even if all of the evidence points his way.

Ritual killings, orgies and the mysterious unknown witchcr
Kati
Apr 10, 2015 Kati rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, mystery, in-czech, 2015
rameau
Earlier I remarked that in the previous book—Kuoleman hurmio or Rapture in Death—Doctor Mira seemed out of character. Well, in this one, it’s Eve Dallas herself that steps out of character. Or that’s how I felt.

From the start of the In Death series Eve has always trusted her instincts and her dark, painful past has been a source of compassion that’s allowed her to do her job more effectively than others. Not here. Here, she utterly wrecks a suspect in the interrogation room and others complimen
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

Robb can weave such great stories and CEREMONY IN DEATH is another great installment to this series. It seems that anything she writes is gold. What’s great about this series is that she is able to keep things fresh but still familiar.

Lieutenant Dallas has a case involving the death of a fellow police officer. More and more clues point the finger at Selina Cross, a crazy Satanic worshiper who participates in dark rituals. While the whole Wicca and Satanic
Susan (susayq ~)
Hmmm. I'm just not sure what to say about this one. I was equal parts disturbed and delighted while reading this. There seemed to be whole lot of blood and gore in this. Of course it did involve Satanic rituals and murder. Eve disappointed me. Greatly. She knew who the murderer was, yet mid-investigation she changed focus and started hounding someone else. Her reasoning for believing he was capable was that his father was a killer. Really, Eve? Does that mean Eve is capable of what her father di ...more
Anastasia
Aug 28, 2015 Anastasia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ceremony In Death by J.D. Robb is the 5th book in the In Death series. The death of a long serving police officer and then of his granddaughter sees Eve investigating several witch cults both of the dark and white variety. Another terrific read in this highly addictive series. I love the characters and their interactions as well as the futuristic setting. Eves and Rourkes relationship and romance just keeps getting better and better.
Aya
Oct 07, 2015 Aya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, mystery
In Death: 5 (reread)
Set less than a month after the previous book. This one is not so much a mystery story, as Eve has a good idea of which of the possible suspects is the most guilty. She just has to prove it while navigating the line between duty and loyalty. The relationship between Eve and Roarke continues to grow and strengthen. I'm glad the author didn't take the cheat of throwing trumped up romantic woes for unnecessary drama. I also like how the author manages to develop Eve's various re
Zoey
Another great installment in the series. This time with Eve investigating the supernatural world of Wiccans & Devil worshipers
Feb 10, 2013 Sarah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
When I read the first In Death book, I was optimistic, and thought that Nora Roberts could potentially turn it into a pretty good series. After five books I realize that I was wrong. Eve Dallas, Roarke, Summerset, Mavis and literally every other character in this series is a straight up cliché, with Eve and Roarke's dark and tormented pasts being so overdone in fiction that it almost makes my teeth hurt. As do the numerous stereotypes pertaining to Roarke's Irish background. As somebody who was ...more
Sara ♥
March 31-April 1, 2016

3.5 stars, but I kinda have to disagree with myself on this one. It was clear who ONE of the bad guys was, but this one was tricky! It sorta seemed like there were bad guys everywhere you looked! I think my favorite part is the Eve/Feeney stuff. EMOTIONAL!!! I cried, not gonna lie. And on my 5th+ time reading it!!! I thought I remembered the ending being ... I dunno... LONGER. But it wraps up a bit too quickly, I thought.

September 29-October 1, 2014

February 1-2, 2012

Februar
Aug 02, 2016 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid installment to the series, with an interesting mystery. Witchcraft, and satanic themes usually creep me out but this was pretty tame. The relationship between Eve and Roarke is what keeps me coming back to this series, and it was my favorite part of this book. I'm giving this 3 1/2 stars, would have preferred more intensity.
Martina Nix Govoni
La quinta stella è dovuta soprattutto alla continua happydance che ho fatto da giovedì a questa parte, nell'avere tra le mani un nuovo volume della serie In Death, dopo così tanto tempo di stop.
Riavere Roarke, uno degli uomini da libro più fantastici mai trovati, è stata un'emozione non da poco. E pure riavere Eve, una delle mie protagoniste femminili preferiti, tostissima quasi fino a diventare fastidiosa, ma anche per questo molto amata.
Si aggiunge una versione sempre più accattivante e divert
Ariana Fae
May 16, 2016 Ariana Fae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don’t know how J.D Robb keeps her In Death series and characters so fresh and entertaining. The more I read about Eve, Rourke, Peabody and the rest of the cast, the more I feel bonded with them, that’s if you can bond with fictional characters. I enjoy how Robb masterfully mixes action, suspense, romance and sci-fi into a story that draws me in. I also love how the characters evolve and how their relationships with one another deepen with each book.

Ceremony in Death’s mystery revolved on a sub
Willow
Here again was a murder mystery that wasn't my favorite. There was no mystery. The murderer is clearly defined, and we even get glimpses into their head without Eve standing between us. The rituals and heebie jeebies was...okay. It was different and sort of throwing the brakes in this world of the future. I loved the glimpses it gave us of Peabody. I absolutely adore Officer Peabody and am so grateful that she's taken the place of Mavis. But I found myself getting pretty frustrated with Eve for ...more
Natalie
Dec 12, 2013 Natalie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am love, love, loving reading this series! There are also about a million of them (give or take a few) so I've got lots of fun in store.

These are one of those guilty pleasure types of books. Eve Dallas is cop in the Big Apple, far ahead in the future when cars can fly and holograms are common. She is married to the illustrious Roarke - a somewhat mysterious man who also happens to be billionaire. (That's handy.)

Eve loves her job as a homicide detective and she is always called in to help on t
Pamela(AllHoney)
The fifth addition in the J.D. Robb series In Death. The book opens when Eve Dallas is at the funeral of a fellow police officer, Frank Wojinski. She receives a note from the granddaughter of the officer and it raises questions regarding his death. Information comes in that makes it appear that the officer was into some less than legal activities and it's up to Eve and Peabody to find the truth. The story takes us into the world of witches and the occult.

It's been a little while since I read thi
Bigd_041555
Dec 22, 2015 Bigd_041555 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-reading
Although I'm not usually interested in the paranormal, I did/do enjoy Ceremony in Death. We meet Jamie Lingstrom and Isis (I actually like her).

Love the unexpected tattoo on Eve - I always find that just hilarious.

So here's a question, when J.D. Robb/Nora was writing this series did she always have a plan about the ring? We learn that Eve and Roarke have wedding rings in Rapture and that Eve's has a design on hers, then we learn in Ceremony that it's a protection design - so was this planned?

Any
BJ Rose
Nov 29, 2009 BJ Rose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story is deep into the occult: we have white witches - Wiccans - and black witches - Satanists - and more sex and human blood in the rituals than I really wanted to read about. You know who the bad gal is almost from the beginning, but don't get too complacent - there's more here than meets the eye, and there are enough surprises to keep you on your toes. It's almost Halloween; in fact, there's a Halloween costume party in the works, and Peabody really gets into the spirit of it. I love Pea ...more
LookPla
ทีจะตองทำคดีทีเกียวพันกับตำรวจเอง แตตองปิดเปนความลับ
ยิงมันเกียวของและเกียวพันกับตำรวจเพือนสนิทตัวเองแลวเนีย
เปนภาระกิจทีเห
Ying Yuvejwattana
Feb 15, 2016 Ying Yuvejwattana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 Naked Stars

It may take me almost a year to finish this book but it doesn't mean it's bad. I am a mercurial book worm that loose interest easily. So i tend to jump from book to book all the time. But I always come back to finish the book I like and this series are among those I know I can always come back to finish it at the right timing.
The story is scary. And I love Roake!
J.D. Robb : Ceremony In Death Buddy Read - May 2016 125 50 Jun 11, 2016 06:17PM
J.D. Robb : Ceremony In Death (Spoiler Zone) 42 103 Apr 09, 2015 06:00AM
J.D. Robb : Buddy Read - Ceremony In Death (Oct. 2013) SPOILER ZONE 194 66 Nov 07, 2014 03:14PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #31 - Ceremony in Death 1 2 Apr 23, 2014 08:10AM
Readers of Kindle...: Ceremony In Death #5 5 22 Feb 22, 2012 09:59AM
  • Remember When (In Death, #17.5)
  • A Touch of Minx (Samantha Jellicoe, #5)
  • Orchid (St. Helen's, #3)
  • Gone Too Far (Troubleshooters, #6)
  • Hard Evidence (I-Team, #2)
  • Fire And Ice (Ice, #5)
  • Heart of Fire
J.D. Robb writes police procedurals set in the near future.

Naked in Death is the first book in what was initially meant to be trilogy about Eve Dallas, a NY police lieutenant with a dark past. In that first book she meets the mysterious Roarke, who is a suspect in the case. By the time the third book in that initial trilogy was in stores readers clamored for more.

Twenty years later, Devoted in Dea
More about J.D. Robb...

In Death (1 - 10 of 44 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death, #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)
  • Judgment in Death (In Death, #11)

“For once, he slept first. She lay in the dark, listening to him breathe, stealing a little of his warmth as her own body cooled. Since he was asleep, she stroked his hair.

"I love you," she murmured. "I love you so much, I'm stupid about it."

With a sigh, she settled down, closed her eyes, and willed her mind to empty.
Beside her, Roarke smiled into the dark.

He never slept first.”
532 likes
“Eve: "Was that like a cookie?"

Roarke: "Hmmm?"

Eve: "You know, have a cookie. You'll feel better. Were you making me feel better?"

Roarke: "I certainly hope so, it worked for me. I wanted you. I always do."

Eve: "It's funny how men can wake up with their brains in their cocks."

Roarke: "It makes us what we are. Let's take a shower. I'll give you another cookie.”
111 likes