Start by marking “Five Lessons I Didn't Learn From Breast Cancer (And One BigOne I Did)” as Want to Read:
Five Lessons I Didn't Learn From Breast Cancer (And One BigOne I Did)

Five Lessons I Didn't Learn From Breast Cancer (And One BigOne I Did)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  12 reviews
An irreverent, funny, compassionate look at what having breast cancer means—and what it doesn’t.

From the pink ribbons to the websites that sell related accessories and stuffed animals, breast cancer has morphed from a disease to an experience. And at every step of the way, society tells women that this experience can teach them profound lessons and maybe even give them a p
Published May 6th 2008 by NAL Trade

To ask other readers questions about Five Lessons I Didn't Learn From Breast Cancer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Five Lessons I Didn't Learn From Breast Cancer

K. Bird
I finished reading this book in the Mayo Clinic Gonda Building awaiting my 3 month-after-chemo check up appointment with my nurse practitioner.

I've read quite a few breast cancer memoirs now. Many of them made me sad, some of them made me glad I hadn't had to endure what the writer did, and so far all but this one have the writer/breast cancer advocate making a large change in their life either materially or spiritually.

Not this one.

This book takes the author's journey through surgery, chemo, a
saferia
It was okay, a bit preachy at times. As a younger woman that went through breast cancer I felt that the audience was for older women. The two chapters that I enjoyed most were 8 and 9, about the lesson she didn't learn from breast cancer and the problem with "pink" marketing.
Toni
Shelly Lewis is one of my new hero's. It seems odd that I would find the first truly humorous book I've read in a long time in the midst of losing a boob and facing chemo. Shelly has me laughing till I have tears and not a moment too soon! While presenting her breast cancer journey with humor come words of wisdom, interesting historical perspective (such as the first chemo being developed from mustard gas), factual info on what you need to know during the breast cancer journey, and the longst li ...more
Sharon
Loved this book! If you've been diagnosed with breast cancer, this book will give you information and strength, and crack you up while you read it. Although Ms. Lewis does not share my spirituality, her thoughts and feelings about her cancer are very much like mine. She has a wonderful sense of humor in her outlook, not a doom and gloom approach, yet she is very honest about the reality of breast cancer. She is also very informative and honest about the things you will face in your journey.

I wo
Carol
Breast cancer from a different point of view. The author takes issue with the idea of beating breast cancer being called a battle or those with the disease as warriors or soldiers. And why are we called survivors from the date of diagnosis onward? A refreshing change of pace from other books on breast cancer.
Carla
I really liked this book. I don't have breast cancer, however, her realistic, true attitude (and somewhat humorous at times) towards this disease and her journey through treatment provided for an overall informative and good read. It educated me and calmed some of my fears due to being mis-informed.
Melissa
My sister loaned me this book because she really related to it while battling breast cancer herself. It helped me to be able to read about feeling that my sister was unable to express on her own. Would definitely recommend this book to anyone who has a close friend or relative with breast cancer.
Cathy Tarr
This is a very well written book by the TV journalist Shelly Lewis. It is funny and filled with wisdom, advice and accurate observations of life of the breast cancer patient.

AnnaMarie
Really candid experiences that help open your eyes about what going through cancer stages is like. Great for anyone in health care or who knows someone with cancer..
Lisa Johnson
Another great book. I really identified with her outlook and hope that I can keep it my own during my own journey through this disease.
Emma
I learned how to keep a sense of humor through all this
Elena
Really good. Taught me a lot. Still is.
Abra Leonard
Abra Leonard marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Lottie
Lottie marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Lana
Lana marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
carol williams
carol williams marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Naked Republicans: A Full-frontal Exposure of Right-wing Hypocrisy and Greed Parenting Tips for Teenagers - Must Have Pointers ADHD and Autism: What Every Parent Should Know about This: A Parent's Aid in Raising Their Children with ADHD and Autism Five Lessons I Didn't Learn from Breast Cancer (and One Big Naked Republicans