Start by marking “Five Lessons I Didn't Learn From Breast Cancer (And One BigOne I Did)” as Want to Read:
Five Lessons I Didn't Learn From Breast Cancer (And One BigOne I Did)

Five Lessons I Didn't Learn From Breast Cancer (And One BigOne I Did)

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  56 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
An irreverent, funny, compassionate look at what having breast cancer means—and what it doesn’t.

From the pink ribbons to the websites that sell related accessories and stuffed animals, breast cancer has morphed from a disease to an experience. And at every step of the way, society tells women that this experience can teach them profound lessons and maybe even give them a p
Published May 6th 2008 by NAL Trade

To ask other readers questions about Five Lessons I Didn't Learn From Breast Cancer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Five Lessons I Didn't Learn From Breast Cancer

K. Lincoln
Dec 04, 2013 K. Lincoln rated it really liked it
I finished reading this book in the Mayo Clinic Gonda Building awaiting my 3 month-after-chemo check up appointment with my nurse practitioner.

I've read quite a few breast cancer memoirs now. Many of them made me sad, some of them made me glad I hadn't had to endure what the writer did, and so far all but this one have the writer/breast cancer advocate making a large change in their life either materially or spiritually.

Not this one.

This book takes the author's journey through surgery, chemo, a
saferia
Jul 02, 2014 saferia rated it it was ok
It was okay, a bit preachy at times. As a younger woman that went through breast cancer I felt that the audience was for older women. The two chapters that I enjoyed most were 8 and 9, about the lesson she didn't learn from breast cancer and the problem with "pink" marketing.
Toni
Nov 18, 2010 Toni rated it really liked it
Shelly Lewis is one of my new hero's. It seems odd that I would find the first truly humorous book I've read in a long time in the midst of losing a boob and facing chemo. Shelly has me laughing till I have tears and not a moment too soon! While presenting her breast cancer journey with humor come words of wisdom, interesting historical perspective (such as the first chemo being developed from mustard gas), factual info on what you need to know during the breast cancer journey, and the longst li ...more
Sharon
Jan 03, 2010 Sharon rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! If you've been diagnosed with breast cancer, this book will give you information and strength, and crack you up while you read it. Although Ms. Lewis does not share my spirituality, her thoughts and feelings about her cancer are very much like mine. She has a wonderful sense of humor in her outlook, not a doom and gloom approach, yet she is very honest about the reality of breast cancer. She is also very informative and honest about the things you will face in your journey.

I wo
Colleen Doerksen
Jan 20, 2016 Colleen Doerksen rated it it was ok
I would have liked the information less narrative and more succinct and guide like. I was not in agreement with her views on survivorship yet I understand why people can feel that way.
Carol
May 26, 2010 Carol rated it really liked it
Breast cancer from a different point of view. The author takes issue with the idea of beating breast cancer being called a battle or those with the disease as warriors or soldiers. And why are we called survivors from the date of diagnosis onward? A refreshing change of pace from other books on breast cancer.
Carla
Jul 25, 2008 Carla rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. I don't have breast cancer, however, her realistic, true attitude (and somewhat humorous at times) towards this disease and her journey through treatment provided for an overall informative and good read. It educated me and calmed some of my fears due to being mis-informed.
Melissa
Aug 19, 2011 Melissa rated it really liked it
My sister loaned me this book because she really related to it while battling breast cancer herself. It helped me to be able to read about feeling that my sister was unable to express on her own. Would definitely recommend this book to anyone who has a close friend or relative with breast cancer.
Cathy Tarr
This is a very well written book by the TV journalist Shelly Lewis. It is funny and filled with wisdom, advice and accurate observations of life of the breast cancer patient.

AnnaMarie
Mar 30, 2011 AnnaMarie rated it really liked it
Really candid experiences that help open your eyes about what going through cancer stages is like. Great for anyone in health care or who knows someone with cancer..
Lisa Heiberger
Jan 12, 2010 Lisa Heiberger rated it it was amazing
Another great book. I really identified with her outlook and hope that I can keep it my own during my own journey through this disease.
Emma
Feb 06, 2010 Emma rated it liked it
I learned how to keep a sense of humor through all this
Elena
Nov 03, 2010 Elena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good. Taught me a lot. Still is.
Sherrie
Sherrie marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Marjorie Faulstich
Marjorie Faulstich rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2016
Victoria Cammack
Victoria Cammack marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
Kathi
Kathi marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Abra Leonard
Abra Leonard marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Janey Howell
Janey Howell rated it liked it
May 11, 2015
Ann Silberman
Ann Silberman rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2015
TT Murphy
TT Murphy rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2015
Teresa Kander
Teresa Kander rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2016
Lottie
Lottie marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Linda
Linda rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2014
Mrs. Danvers
Mrs. Danvers rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2016
Shelley Mowery
Shelley Mowery rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2014
Melissa Glass
Melissa Glass rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2014