Start by marking “Have You No Shame?: And Other Regrettable Stories” as Want to Read:
Have You No Shame?: And Other Regrettable Stories

Have You No Shame?: And Other Regrettable Stories

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  180 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Growing up in white-bread Omaha, Nebraska, Rachel Shukert was one of thirty-seven students (circa 1990) in Nebraska’s only Jewish elementary school. She spent her days dreaming of a fantasy Aryan boyfriend named Chris McPresbyterian, a tall blond god whose family spoke softly in public and did not inquire after his bowel movements. She spent her nights frantically plasteri...more
Published April 29th 2008 by Villard (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Have You No Shame?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Have You No Shame?

Erica
this book was everything i wanted i was told there would be cake to be. funnier and jewier and just better. where sloane crosley is a normal person pretending to be interesting enough to write a book, rachel shukert is neurotic and crazy and awesome.
Sue
The first couple of chapters of this book were hysterically funny, but then I got bogged down in the rest of the book.
Susie
I'm hereby swearing off autobiographies written by anyone under the age of 30.
Karen
I really wish I could give this book 3 1/2 stars. It had a lot of good qualities: humor, sincerity, interesting insight into a different life-style. On the other hand, I found some of it difficult to relate to and the author was only marginally sympathetic. If I could have liked the author a bit more this would definitely get 4 stars.
Rachael
Far too scattered. Some parts were occasionally funny, but the rest of it didn't seem to follow much of a storyline.
G
Rachel Shukert is a writer who I greatly admire. This book is so funny, I could literally not stop laughing while reading it. Rachel comes across as if she isn't even trying hard to make the reader laugh--she's just telling a story. However, that's the brilliance behind her writing, because not everyone who is funny in real life can also write funny. Rachel is thankfully both.

I've had the pleasure of sitting next to her and hearing her stories in person (while not knowing she was a writer for 15...more
Shannon
This book was pretty much written for me. It's a hilarious collection of short stories about a Jewish girl who grew up in Omaha, NE. There's a hilarious list in one of the stories called "People Who Would Hide Us From Nazis," which Shukert wrote as a young girl and included "nice" neighbors and teachers. She was a child with a grim sense of humor not far from my own--she played Oregon trail to drown people she didn't like. This certainly is written from a dark, wry Jewish sense of humor, but it...more
Unwisely
This book started up well - as a midwestern girl myself, I can only imagine how it must've been to be Jewish. This starts off fairly engrossing, with the sort of vignettes I've come to expect from this genre. It starts getting a little weird with a digressive-yet-fascinating letter to Newt Gingrich, and then goes sort of off the rails into elliptical weirdness. The end chapter brings it back to the memoir style, but you've missed so much it's sort of jarring, like trying to figure out what happe...more
April Stevens
Witty, sarcastic, and very funny account of the author's life thus far. She was one of the only Jewish girls in her school in Omaha, Nebraska, and her adventures trying to make it in New York City are so well-written you feel like you're right beside her, trying desperately not to laugh at her amusing adventures. The book also has its moving moments, and I was so wrapped up in it I read the whole thing in one sitting. I had the priviledge of attending Frequency North, where she read an excerpt o...more
Michelle
I'm a big fan of memoirs and have taken quite an interest in book from a Jewish perspective since my conversion. They seem to help fill in gaps in my Jewish experience. I have to say that even if I grew up Jewish, I probably wouldn't have had the same experiences at BBYO or the same fascination with gas chambers, but this memoir was still telling nonetheless. It's incredibly brutal and honest and definitely provided a hilarious escape for a few hours.
Daisy
I really enjoyed this book. I read her books out of order, and I think her second book was better and funnier than this one. I'm sure that's something that comes with writing your first book though. I cried in parts and still laughed out loud. I honestly feel like I know a lot about Rachel and that we're friends. The way she writes makes you want to know more about her life. If she writes more, I'll definitely read it.
Shoshana

Clever and funny short stories - especially for Jews, but even for Goys! Rachel's notes to non-Jews help illuminate some of her finer tales and witticisms and she skillfully makes light of some intense and sad situations without feeling sorry for herself. I found this to be a really powerful read - by someone my own age no less!

Sunni
Thank you for liberating me Janelle. I read a few of these short stories then abandoned the book. There is not doubt it is funny, but the humor was a bit acerbic for me...kind of like David Sedaris. I can only take this type of humor in small doses. But I'm sure others will LOVE it.
Lindsay
These stories are smart and funny, just like Rachel Shukert. Not surprising at all, since the stories are as true as the lawyers would let them be. I laughed, I cringed, I learned. Go Rachel!
Martha
Probably the best book about growing up Jewish in Omaha that I've read. The only one, anyway... Some parts more crude than comic, but on the whole a funny book.
Liza Nikitas
my friend's sister wrote this book so i of course had to read it. rachel's voice is really genuine and hysterical, and the book is super relatable. loved it!
Josh
I grew up her life, same place, same schools, same people, just a few years before her.
But beyond that, she's a real entertaining writer, talented too.
Sara Barron
Shukert is the shiz-nit. She writes so well it makes you hate her. Except then you decide to love her instead. In a jealous way, but still.
Emily
Spot-on and hilarious. Thinking of annotating this and passing it to the girls I grew up with. Yashar koach, Ms. Shukert.
Juliana
If you are in the mood for a sarcastically funny, footnote heavy memoir, then definitely pick this up.
Madhura
Madhura is currently reading it
Sep 28, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Martijn Heemskerk
Martijn Heemskerk marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Shelley Dockery
Shelley Dockery marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Elaine
Elaine marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Trisha Tostanoski
Trisha Tostanoski marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Bambi
Bambi marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
  • I'm Kind of a Big Deal: And Other Delusions of Adequacy
  • Please Excuse My Daughter: A Memoir
  • The Day I Wore My Panties Inside Out
  • It's Not That I'm Bitter . . .: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying About Visible Panty Lines and Conquered the World
  • People Are Unappealing: Even Me
  • No More Nice Girls: Countercultural Essays
  • The Customer Is Always Wrong: The Retail Chronicles
  • Burning the Days: Recollection
  • Girl in Need of a Tourniquet: Memoir of a Borderline Personality
  • Where's My Wand?: One Boy's Magical Triumph over Alienation and Shag Carpeting
  • The World According to Mimi Smartypants
  • It's a Wonderful Lie: 26 Truths About Life in Your Twenties
  • Knocked Up: Confessions of a Hip Mother-to-be
  • What's Not to Love?: The Adventures of a Mildly Perverted Young Writer
1312067
Rachel Shukert is the author the the critically acclaimed memoirs Everything Is Going To Be Great and Have You No Shame? Her writing has appeared in numerous publications including Salon, McSweeney's, Slate, Gawker, the Daily Beast, Heeb, and Nerve, and been featured on National Public RAdio. She has also contributed to a variety of anthologies, including Click: When We Knew We Were Feminists and...more
More about Rachel Shukert...
Everything Is Going to Be Great: An Underfunded and Overexposed European Grand Tour Starstruck (Starstruck, #1) Love Me (Starstruck, #2) Let Me Be Your Star (Kindle Single)