Start by marking “The Professional Chef” as Want to Read:
The Professional Chef

The Professional Chef

4.3  ·  Rating Details ·  4,305 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
The Professional Chef, the official text of The Culinary Institute of America's culinary degree program, has taught tens of thousands of chefs the techniques and fundamentals that have launched their careers. Now in a revolutionary revision, The Professional Chef, Seventh Edition not only teaches the reader how, but is designed to reflect why the CIA methods are the gold s ...more
Hardcover, Seventh Edition, 1036 pages
Published September 20th 2001 by John Wiley & Sons (first published January 1st 1974)

To ask other readers questions about The Professional Chef, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Professional Chef

John
Aug 18, 2007 John rated it it was amazing
This thing is massive. I've been trying to read all the way through it for over a year and I haven't gotten there yet. They've already got another edition out, which looks like it's even better. The Professional Chef is the Culinary Institute of America's textbook and, as such, is an excellent basic instructional cookbook/reference book on many "standard" recipes and basic cooking techniques. It is aimed at a professional pracitioner, though, so all the recipes are for ten portions. You will hav ...more
Heretic
Mar 05, 2014 Heretic rated it liked it
The thing about this book is it is an excellent source for factual and scientific information about the business of cooking, the chemistry of cooking, and the business of keeping a kitchen running in a sanitary way. The problem is that its not a cookbook for amateurs. Everything is in metric, most of it in grams. Without a proper kitchen scale or an aggressive interest in converting it, you're going to find this a confusing or discouraging source.
Chad
If you were truly serious about becoming a great cook and could only have one book in your kitchen, this would be it. It really is geared toward professional chefs, however, so many of its recipes call for impractical ingredients like demi-glace. In a home kitchen this can be a real ball-ache.
Schwa51
Apr 11, 2014 Schwa51 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-read
One of my favorite library books since I can't justify buying this book yet. An essential resource and so informative. I learned so much just flipping through this book and picking random sections to read. My pan sauces have certainly improved since I first checked this out!
Jens
Oct 01, 2008 Jens rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is basically the Textbook used by the CIA. It is oriented toward the professional and the recipes reflect this.
Waleed.M
Oct 05, 2012 Waleed.M rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good book every chef should have one.
Carolina Rivera
Jan 08, 2016 Carolina Rivera marked it as to-read
I WANT TO KNOW LITTLE MORE ABOUT COOK.
Ademog
Sep 29, 2013 Ademog rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cook-book
Basic book for culinary student
Corey
Mar 22, 2010 Corey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking
This is the official textbook of the Culinary Institute of America. It overviews the basic techniques used by professional chefs, as well as common equipment and ingredients. The coverage is adequate, but not as good as I expected. Much of the material is superficial, and there are large white spaces on most pages where additional pictures or information could have been presented. The pictures themselves are mostly good, with the exception of the photos of diced vegetables, which are useless bec ...more
Kristen
Oct 09, 2010 Kristen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking, food
This book has an ultimate recipe for potato soufflé that has yet to be found on the internet nor google books. I actually improvised from said recipe and made a totally original piece. The recipe supplied major components that can be instilled to the cooking technique dictionary (contained in thy memory) which can be implemented into original dishes. Thus, a professional chef without the degree. :)

This book presents some interesting tools that enable new methods and 'up' presentation points.

Tech
Diana A.
Aug 05, 2008 Diana A. rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: aspiring chefs and anyone with inflated domestic tendencies & some talent
Recommended to Diana A. by: i researched before buying
I purchased this book for my ex-boyfriend and spent some time thumbing through it before I gave it to him. I was amazed. He loved it. But he has aspirations towards becoming a professional chef. For me, a decent cook with a tiny home kitchen, he recommended The Joy of Cooking instead. And he's probably right. But with my own grand aspirations toward becoming a professional domestic goddess, I can't help loving this book.
Steve
Aug 03, 2012 Steve rated it really liked it
All the basics are in here whether you're an aspiring home cook or professional chef, with step by step instruction, visual aides, and definitions. Concepts from food cost to forcemeats are treated with language that progressively starts with basic terminology to more "chef" lingo as the topics increase in precision and difficulty.

Highly recommend. It will become your go-to tome for all things culinary.
Page
Nov 16, 2014 Page is currently reading it
Shelves: own
I've always wanted to know the proper techniques, how I'm supposed to do things. A quick glance, a quick one, it seems I may have found my answer. Today I used it to make a vegetable stock and simple miropoix, done and done. Better still, very few vegetables left in fridge to go bad. My point, most books give you an exact recipe-though this one has though too, it also provides guidelines so you can go at will; with what you have. Helpful
Terri
Mar 28, 2012 Terri rated it really liked it
A good resource for classic, mostly scaleable recipies for the home cook or use to improve upon your understanding of technique before attempting other recipies. One of my favorite go-to books (particularly for pastry cream). See also the CIA chocolate book for blow your mind accessibility to world class confectionary.
Sandyl
Jun 06, 2011 Sandyl rated it it was amazing
A must have in your kitchen, even if you just fiddle around from time to time. After I read here and there (its a huge book) I finally found out how to make really great scrambled eggs...how to make a base beschamel sauce for anything! I learned how to cut up a fryer and now I keep my knives sharpened.
Yaaresse
Apr 02, 2016 Yaaresse rated it really liked it
This is basically the cookbook for the Culinary Institute of America. If you have the fortitude to wade through it, you will learn a huge amount about cooking, chemistry, presentation, technique. You will also probably develop very strong arm and back muscles lifting it. I kid you not, the thing is massive. Unless you're a serious culinary student, it's probably overkill.
Takhta Pandu
Jul 01, 2008 Takhta Pandu rated it it was amazing
this book I really recommended to all people that want to be a professional chef. The basic foundation is very strong.

most of dishes that i made from this book could make people to say "very delicious, more and more! superb"

must have!!
Adam Vigh
Aug 20, 2012 Adam Vigh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't recommend this book highly enough. Don't let the thickness intimidate you, you'll you have such a good time reading it you hardly notice. Wether you an apprentice chef, seasoned vet or just someone who love to cook you'll get something out of the professional chef.
Carolyn Fuentes
Apr 03, 2013 Carolyn Fuentes rated it it was amazing
The book contained exclusive food history and general information regarding measurements for inventory and set-ups, business, food storage safety, recipes, food preparation, kitchen tools, etc. I loved it!
Afiq Asyran
Nov 30, 2011 Afiq Asyran rated it it was amazing
Fundamental knowledge to cook like a chef, this book I used from time to time for my kitchen's check and balance. From pastry, bread baking, sauteing chicken, vegetables, making a salad, preparing chicken stock and many more.
Ginny
Feb 27, 2008 Ginny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is what it says it is - it is for the "professional" chef. Being a home cook myself I find some of the techniques and recipes useless. But, I keep it handy as a supplemental source when I'm looking up different recipes for one dish just to check how they are all doing them.
Lisa
Mar 23, 2014 Lisa rated it it was amazing
An excellent kitchen bible for anyone serious about cooking. I got this from the library to see if it was worthwhile- it is on the pricey side- but I am quite sure I want my own copy now. (I may see about getting a used copy or an older edition.)
CD
Dec 04, 2011 CD rated it really liked it
So you think you can cook? If you can't with this guides help, you may not be able to read either. This newest version of the classic 'how-to-cook-everything' is one of the first must have books for chef, cook, or food lover of any and all skills.

Ken Hines
Jul 11, 2016 Ken Hines rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was used in a cooking class that I took and it will always be used for the rest of my life. It has everything a person will need and the only cookbook and recipe book a person should ever need. This book is the only book in the kitchen.
Jeanne
Nov 28, 2012 Jeanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolutely wonderful textbook all about food and its preparation. It has basic recipes for the foundation of just about every dish. No chance I'll read it all any time soon, but as a cook's reference and training manual it can't be beat.
Tina
Aug 18, 2009 Tina rated it it was amazing
Once again, I am never "done" reading a cookbook. This is one is constantly being referred to for technique, to find a basic recipe, to sharpen a skill in the kitchen...
Allison
Aug 08, 2007 Allison rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Serious Cooks
Shelves: cookbooks
A monstrous tome of technique; I use this at least once a month to check up on something I am doing. A must for every serious cook especially for those who tend to view recipes as suggestions.
Sara
Apr 10, 2016 Sara rated it it was amazing
This book has it all and explains it all. This is a great book. I have a hundred cookbooks and I love this one the most.
Becky
Mar 16, 2012 Becky marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Learning lots just from paging randomly through this so far. Jayme failed to mention exactly how heavy it was, though! Must work on strength training.
Shavonya
Apr 11, 2010 Shavonya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking
I have had to use this book for Culinary School, I love I think it is a must have in a cookbook collection.
Cooking 1 3 Oct 01, 2015 09:19AM
  • Culinary Artistry
  • Sauces: Classical and Contemporary Sauce Making
  • Jacques Pépin's Complete Techniques: Featuring More Than 1,000 Cooking Methods and Recipes,  in Thousands of  Step-by-Step Photographs
  • The Escoffier Cookbook: and Guide to the Fine Art of Cookery for Connoisseurs, Chefs, Epicures
  • Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing
  • The Food Lover's Companion (Barron's Cooking Guide)
  • The French Laundry Cookbook