Start by marking “Falling” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Falling

Colin Thubron

Falling

Journalist Mark Swabey is serving a prison sentence in connection with the death of Clara the Swallow, a circus acrobat with whom he fell in love. As the grief-stricken Swabey looks back on their affair, the exact nature of his responsibility for Clara’s death is movingly revealed.

Audio
Published December 1st 1994 by ISIS Audio Books (first published December 31st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Falling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Falling

Joel Cuthbert
Oct 30, 2016 Joel Cuthbert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thurbold is a travel writer, and it is his expertise at description and mood and emotion that excels. From the opening chapter I found myself lost to his use of language. The way in which each word is so carefully chosen and enriches the experience of the story so deeply. Perhaps the narrative itself has some short comings and I for some reason am perfectly at peace with that. It is the journey that I find so richly rewarding in Colin's words and I hunger for more. One of my favourite authors th ...more
Angela Young
Sep 17, 2012 Angela Young rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I suppose a novel called FALLING about a high-wire acrobat / artist is bound to include not only falling in love but falling from a high wire but, ridiculously, I didn't expect it would include the latter or, if it did, at least subliminally, it didn't occur to me that the damage would be permanent. Nor did I expect the story to become what it does become (I wonder if any of the euthanasia societies know about it?). It is told in alternating chapters between Mark's life with Clara - the high-wir ...more
Pearl
Apr 05, 2013 Pearl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: miscellaneous
Although I already knew roughly what this book was about from a friend, I didn't expect the story to be told quite the way it did. The author made sure that you empathised and sympathised with the main characters, so that when you got to the heart-wrenching climax, and the crux of the story, it would hit you with the desired amount of force.

This book was incredibly well written, the description and structure mean that he has created a very believable set of characters and you really do feel ever
Alison Spurrier
Jul 06, 2012 Alison Spurrier rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very easy to read. I wasnt expecting what hapened to happen!! I have worked a lot with people who have sustained spinal injuries and the scenario that came about was of no surprise. Some of the detail was a bit lacking but on the whole a realistic reflection of this dilemma. It was written in 1990 and so things have moved on regarding medical and nursing care. It' still is, and always will be a heartbreaking situation.
Hazel McHaffie
This was recommended by a reviewer who disliked 'The Kindest Thing'. Just goes to show, reading is a subjective business. Although some big names have endorsed Thubron's tale of a journalist who falls in love with a circus girl, I wasn't impressed. It rambles on about prison life and circus acts and seems to give its main action (assisted death) scant attention. There are some beautifully written passages but overall I preferred 'The Kindest Thing'.
Abbie Ennis
Jul 02, 2012 Abbie Ennis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: four-star
the story of a man who is put in a difficult posotion when his love asks for hime to help her die after a accident in her performance. Each chapter is told in a different perspective and the reader is presented different perspectives on the crime and how one moment can change someones life forever and how after that moment nothing is ever the same.

A truly moving novel on a very difficult topic.
Carol
Feb 11, 2013 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This short book surprised me. After the first hundred pages, I thought I didn't care too much for any of the characters, nor did I believe in their relationships. Then suddenly I did. The remaining fifty pages brought it all together. Whether this was intentional or not, it worked for me.
Gena
Feb 01, 2008 Gena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Gena by: Tiffany Evans
About a journalist that falls in love with a tight rope/circus contortionist and kills her. REALLY GOOD.
Mark Houlder
Mark Houlder rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2014
Kristina Koleva
Kristina Koleva rated it liked it
May 03, 2016
Svens
Svens rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2010
Trevor
Trevor rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2007
Anguis
Anguis rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2012
Annetje
Annetje rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2016
Philip Tidman
Philip Tidman rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2014
Simon
Simon rated it it was ok
Feb 13, 2012
Daveb
Daveb rated it liked it
May 15, 2014
Nina Lewis
Nina Lewis rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2013
Scott
Scott rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2015
Ethel
Ethel rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
May 01, 2013
Adam
Adam rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2007
James
James rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2012
Stephen
Stephen rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2010
Bex
Bex rated it liked it
May 18, 2016
Ayman
Ayman rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2015
Keira Brown
Keira Brown rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2011
Steve Thompson
Steve Thompson rated it it was ok
Feb 03, 2016
Min-wei Lee
Min-wei Lee rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2012
Goodreads
Goodreads rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Colin Thubron, CBE FRSL is a Man Booker nominated British travel writer and novelist.

In 2008, The Times ranked him 45th on their list of the 50 greatest postwar British writers. He is a contributor to The New York Review of Books, The Times, The Times Literary Supplement and The New York Times. His books have been translated into more than twenty languages. Thubron was appointed a CBE in the 2007
More about Colin Thubron...