Start by marking “What's Heaven” as Want to Read:
What's Heaven

What's Heaven

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  115 ratings  ·  21 reviews
This treasure of a book, for people of all faiths, is a starting point for parents who must talk about the difficult topic of death with their children.

What should parents say when a loved one dies? Heaven is a difficult subject that always comes up at tough times, and Maria Shriver has written a very special book precisely for these stressful moments. What's Heaven? is th...more
Published October 30th 2007 by Golden Books Adult Publishing (first published February 15th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about What's Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What's Heaven

Jenna Dillon
Brief Summary: This book is about a little girl who learns of her great-grandmother's death and proceeds to ask her mother many questions about death, heaven, afterlife, and grief. She learns how to accept death in the end of the book and embrace the spirit of the one lost.
Genre: realistic fiction
Reading Level: This book is for transitional readers because it has whole pages of text, complex sentences and a variety of words such as: cousins, funeral, and differently.
Topic: death, grief, afterl...more
Roshini R.
Kate is a young girl whose great-grandmother has died. Her mother states that she’s gone to Heaven. Kate inquires, “What’s Heaven?” Her inquisitive nature leads to further discussion. She asks more questions in response to her mom’s answers. She learns more about Heaven and related concepts, expresses some thought provoking questions and responses, and draws a few conclusions for herself. This is a good book to have on hand for parents, children, and anyone looking for answers after the death of...more
Heather
I just dropped off some books at a used book store and started browsing. Saw this sitting on the children's shelf, so I read it. It was pretty cute, nice illustrations, but I had a major theological problem with it, so I think if I had kids, I probably wouldn't pick this one to read to them.

The mother tells the little girl that she believes something like "if you're good for most of your life, you'll go to Heaven."

It's not really about "being good," for most of your life, though, imo... it's ab...more
Laina
I found this book at the library today when looking for a way to explain my grandfather's death to my 5 and 3 year-old kids. It was perfect... well, maybe except for the part where there's a pet heaven and a people heaven... but they're too young to understand that difference anyway. The only real problem was that I couldn't make it through the book without having to stop and compose myself. The story beautifully explains the concept of a soul and how our bodies remain after death but our souls...more
Oblongata
Awww >.<
I love this so so much. Truly a great book.
When it comes to talking about losing our loved ones,a better understanding comes from reading this.
Hadley
This was written for a child but it can by read by anybody. The first time I read it I absolutely adored it. It's really amazing and a wonderful story about a mom explaining to her daughter about the definition of heaven...
Jmhadzima
With a great-grandmother's death recently in our own family this book was recommended to me. It very gently and honestly answers the questions a child has about the death of her great-grandmother.
Angela
Maria Shriver makes a valiant and caring stab at a difficult subject matter.Even though she tries to encompass all faiths in her text, it is worth a read. Picture book for adults.
Denise
Jul 06, 2008 Denise rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anybody that just lost a loved one
Recommended to Denise by: Gail
This book was given to my girls when my mom - their grandma - died. They were not interested in it, but it was a nice explanation of the life after death.
Tracy Connolly
Maria Shriver wrote this heartfelt book based on the explainations of questions from the death of her grandmother by her childen,nieces and nephews.
Theresa
a story of heaven told to a child after the death of a beloved family member a good book to have when facing a funeral
Kim
Simple explanation for a death and funeral and the idea of Heaven. Easily understood by young children. Read to my boys tonight.
Theresa
FraNKi
Oct 17, 2008 FraNKi rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young Children & Adults
Recommended to FraNKi by: Found on the internet
Excellent story for young children who have lost a grandparent. Also, very touching for the adult too.
Delia Huitema
Loved it and lent it to friends going through the loss of a loved one. Terrific for kids.
Denise
Nice pictures and story line is very sweet and nicely done.
Casey Lynn
This book really helped me get over my cousins death
Crystal
Let's children know they are not alone.
Sami
A good quick short story.
Cathy
A sweet little book.
Cws
Jul 06, 2009 Cws added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jenf
JENF-Shr
Michele Muska
Michele Muska marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Juan N
Juan N marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Maria Owings Shriver is an award-winning American journalist from the Kennedy Family and is First Lady of California. Her husband is Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger.
-Wikipedia

More about Maria Shriver...
Just Who Will You Be? Ten Things I Wish I'd Known Before I Went Out Into the Real World And One More Thing Before You Go... The Shriver Report: A Woman's Nation Pushes Back from the Brink What's Wrong With Timmy?