Start by marking “The Hamster Revolution: How to manage your email before it manages you” as Want to Read:
The Hamster Revolution: How to manage your email before it manages you

The Hamster Revolution: How to manage your email before it manages you

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Written in parable form, The Hamster Revolutiontells the story of Harold, an HR Director who has fallen victim to the dreaded clutches of info-glut. Paralyzed by a deluge of electronic data and e-mail, his days fill with repetitive and fruitless action. In a Kafkaesque twist, he actually turns into a hamster running on a wheel, though he's too busy to even notice. Happily, ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published January 23rd 2007 by Macmillan Audio (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Hamster Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hamster Revolution

K.D. Absolutely
A practical book that can make you save time to focus on more important things in the office. I am talking of the time that you normally spend on work emails. When I started reading this book last week, I immediately implemented some of the major ideas in this book and in one of my emails my boss wrote back: "Great work here." Not sure it was because of sending him only one email instead of 8 or the way I crafted those emails making them more actionable, concise, direct-to-the-point and with onl ...more
Stuart
This was a pretty good book, a quick read at least. It had some good tips for dealing with work email (not really practical for personal email). The strangest thing was the book was partially about how to make email direct and to the point. But, the book took winding roads to make it longer. You probably could have got the message across in 4 chapters.

Still, worth reading if you feel overwhelmed by work email.
Artful Existence
This book has great tips on decreasing email overload and better managing your information, whether at work or at home. I am excited to start implementing some of the ideas. However, I felt the book was corny with the hamster. The hamster wasn't an analogy, it was literal where one of the main characters was a hamster and didn't even know it. I just thought that that whole idea was lame. I understand why the authors thought it would be witty and fun to do this, since people with email overload a ...more
Lisa
I liked this book! The hamster thing is just kitschy but the comparison to spinning your wheels all day in email is real... I took away a number of ideas for myself personally to use though some will not work exactly...it was worth it to me, I have stopped to think about why I am sending an email, if it is necessary (can i thank them in person next time i see them or in a different message that has a purpose besides saying thank you, etc), how to present the content to make it most effective, et ...more
Leah
There were alot of great tips in this book for controlling email and filing items. One of the better books I have read in this regard.
Linda
I can't believe that this book has been out for 5 years and I haven't read it before. I discovered it as a by-product of a training I wanted to take at UNC Greeley. I was unable to attend but my boss was present and shared that this was the primary basis for the presentation. The suggestions in the book seem very practical and I will be working to implement them. I'd recommend this book to anyone who feels their inbox is out of control. In the words of Harold the hamster, "one small step for the ...more
Kevin
Super simple, nothing really revolutionary, but did highlight the fact that no one really know how to 'speak' email.

This is what you need to think about when writing one:

Brief, Warm Greeting

* clear ,bold paragraph titles

Close:
*Next step and niceties
* sig

done! I've used the template quite a bit and it does really seem to help.
Erin
This could have been a lot shorter without the cutesy stuff, and the book wasn't long to begin with! But Harold the hamster makes it feel a lot longer.

I really liked the email template system provided, and have found it to be easy to translate to what I do. I found the first half of the book to be quite useful to me and it has made me more conscious about what I send.

The folder system described just does not work for me, but that's a personal preference.
Tama
After finishing the book, I must say that even though I thought the hamster analogy was good, I could have done without the hamster/client being threaded through the entire book. Not sure there was really any new info here. Has made me more confident in picking up the phone instead of sending multiple emails back and forth. Also liked the concept of writing efficient emails. Not sure how to get others to send me efficient emails. I will have to work on that.
David
Takes the fable approach to introducing concepts related to more efficient email practices through the story of coaching sessions with a person who has turned into a real life hamster.

Because, you know, someone moved his cheese. And he can't find it in his email inbox.

The concepts are solid, but nothing in here will (for me) displace the topics taught in Take Back Your Life, by Sally McGhee.

Jen
I actualy listened to the audio book for this one. I learned a little but it wasn't mind-blowing. I think if you've read Getting Things Done, this won't come as much of surprise. The big take away is to be more critical of the e-mails you send out.
Sheri Radford
Although I enjoyed the content of this book and found it extremely helpful, I found it difficult to get past the central conceit of a man having lengthy conversations with a businessman who has turned into a hamster. It was too cutesy for the useful, informative content.
Matthew Melville
It was AMAZINGLY helpful at tackling the challenge of "email overload"...which I have been living in for awhile now!
In a few weeks, I've totally changed my outlook on e-mail and for the first time feel I can manage it on a daily basis.
A must read for e-mail users!
Mark Peterson
Not bad -- some good ideas on how to get a handle on E-mail. Need to tailor to your own work environment, especially those who work in Dept of Defense or a non-profit. Didn't like the "hamster" analogy/picture -- seemed kind of trite and sophmoric at times.
Karen Serquinia
Super quick read - less than a couple of hours. Good info about managing your email and good advice for getting others in your work life to adopt at least some of the principles. Looking forward to our team defining and using these strategies!
Mary-Jo
Some parts of this book should be required reading for everyone in our lives. The book demonstrates how to be courteous in drafting the subject line and the actual body of the e-mail to spare your reader wasted time and frustration.
Heather
Good techniques for managing email and pare overflow both professionally and personally. I will be setting up my Evernotes Notebooks via the COTA-PAO categories. The Harold Hamster stuff got tedious, but overall a good book.
Karen
Short read and a little on the slow side. I will do anything to get email under control so it is definitely worth a try! Not sure about COTA but I will give it a go because I have somewhere around 75 folders!
Fran Lapham
It's a quick, easy read. A little cheesy (no pun intended), but has GREAT concepts. All associates at my company are required to read it and it really streamlines the e-mail communication.
Carla
Super easy read. I was assigned this book to read for work. While it didn't provide me with new information, I like the suggestion of having an template.
Jessica
Had to read this book for work. There is some good information, but it could have been summarized in an article, rather than drawn out into a 100+ page book.
Reneeo83
Good book. Helped me manage and organize my email so that I am always in control of it and not the other way around.
Not that helpful, the gimmick gets in the way.
Leslee Green
Great book on how to save time at work.
G.hoogendoorn
Je e-mail de baas, nederlandse versie
Jill Vogel Kinison
Jill Vogel Kinison marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Lead with Luv: A Different Way to Create Real Success
  • Five Minutes on Mondays: Finding Unexpected Purpose, Peace, and Fulfillment at Work
  • Facts are Sacred: The power of data
  • 1001 Ways to Reward Employees
  • Get-It-Done Guy's 9 Steps to Work Less and Do More
  • Three Great Novels (Inspector Rebus, #7-9)
  • Introduction to Real Analysis
  • Pieternella van die Kaap
  • What Great Brands Do: The Seven Brand-Building Principles That Separate the Best from the Rest
  • Collective Genius: The Art and Practice of Leading Innovation
  • Information: The New Language of Science
  • The Apple Way
  • Wie Met Vuur Speel
  • Your Best Just Got Better: Work Smarter, Think Bigger, Make More
The Hamster Revolution for Meetings: How to Meet Less and Get More Done ZIP! Tips: The Fastest Way to Get More Done A revolução do Hamster The Hamster Revolution for Meetings: How to Meet Less and Get More Done (Bk Business)