Start by marking “Fall of Cthulhu, Vol. 2: The Gathering” as Want to Read:
Fall of Cthulhu, Vol. 2: The Gathering

Fall of Cthulhu, Vol. 2: The Gathering (Fall of Cthulhu #2)

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  186 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
A war is brewing as the Dreamlands is in upheaval and Mister Arkham plots his strategy on Earth. With only mankind standing in the way of a godwar, players and pawns move into place, choose new allegiances, and struggle with their role in Mister Arkham's plans for universal domination. Who will survive? Secrets are revealed as the next chapter in the war of Lovecraftian go ...more
Published October 1st 2008 by BOOM! Studios

To ask other readers questions about Fall of Cthulhu, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fall of Cthulhu, Vol. 2

At the Mountains of Madness by I.N.J. CulbardLovecraft by Hans RodionoffThe Lovecraft Anthology, Volume 1 by H.P. LovecraftThe Shadow Out of Time by I.N.J. CulbardThe Case of Charles Dexter Ward by I.N.J. Culbard
Lovecraft Graphic Novels
19th out of 47 books — 27 voters
Locke & Key, Vol. 1 by Joe HillThe Walking Dead, Vol. 01 by Robert KirkmanThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanUzumaki, Vol. 1 by Junji ItoHellboy, Vol. 1 by Mike Mignola
Best Horror Comics/Graphic Novels!
146th out of 260 books — 200 voters

More lists with this book...

Mike
Feb 10, 2011 Mike rated it really liked it
I kept wishing we'd see our protagonist Cy from the first book - the only handle of relatable sanity I could find there, and which made the story digestible for me.

This time around we have only the dark forces, slowly amassing their powers and friends to tip the balance in favour of their success.

As with the last book, I was frustrated with the story going in a direction that I didn't want it to go - but hungry fir more once I got to the end.

I'm a huge fan of horror movies so gore and evil don't
Guillermo
Mar 18, 2010 Guillermo rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novel
I had my doubts when I picked up Fall of Cthulhu: The Gathering at the public library. Maybe there was something I missed, another volume that I could've read before picking up The Gathering. Truth is, I only picked up the trade because of name recognition. I'm a fan of Lovecraft's work, and this graphic novel was obviously inspired by the mythos, extending from the Cthulhu mythos and touching down upon the Dreamlands.

However, Michael Alan Nelson's story left me wondering if he really was inspir
Dru
Sep 25, 2013 Dru rated it really liked it
A good follow-up to the first issues (0-5, "the fugue") of Fall of Cthulhu. There were a few things I didn't like. First, they changed the artists around and so things like The Harlot look worse than they did in the first few issues. Also, I've read and re-read the whole "Vessel of Gith" section and I still can NOT figure out what the hell happened between Connor, the Gith and the jackyl-headed thing in the Dreamlands. A comic by its nature must tell the story with minimal words and maximum pict ...more
Jonathon Jones
Jan 25, 2016 Jonathon Jones rated it really liked it
A lot of the fun here is the minimal plot that allows wandering around to the various evils and seeing what they are like in this version of Cthulhu mythology. That's also a liability, in that I don't think things really make that much sense, but it is darkly entertaining nonetheless. Connor's fate is particularly interesting, but I wish I understood what in the world he was supposed to be doing through this book.

It could also use someone for us to care about. Right now, even if Cthulhu came and
Sylvester
Aug 03, 2015 Sylvester rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, fantasy, horror
Aramis
Nov 23, 2009 Aramis rated it liked it
A decent but much less cohesive story than the first volume is made up for to some extent with a better average level of artwork, though nothing approaching the highest highs of the first books (and nothing near the lowest lows, either).

The middle section with the masked mute had appropriately pretty and therefore disturbing art. It was like Neil Gaiman's Blueberry Girl, except completely messed up. That said the writing in that middle section was as bland as the art was inspired.
David
Oct 12, 2008 David rated it really liked it
I didn't enjoy this installment - which is four storylines concerning the calling forth of four ancient evils to prepare for the coming dark struggle - quite as much as the first installment, mainly because I did not enjoy equally all of the artists involved. Still, it is a great Lovecraft tribute, and I look forward to seeing where it all goes next.
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
Some very good art, some so-so. The sequence about the boy who is subverted/transformed is good, if unoriginal. Some of the visuals in the dreamlands are great. the narrative is not always very coherent or clear. The lack of interesting characters is a major dealbreaker.
Mouldy Squid
May 03, 2012 Mouldy Squid rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
A continuation of the story started in volume one. The plot broadens, the protagonists shift between individual chapters (which is nice), and the art becomes more experimental in places (also nice). Still excellent work. Recommended reading for Lovecraft fans.
Elizabeth
Aug 12, 2009 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
The end of this book reminded me of parts of the Sandman series (which is why it gets 4 stars rather than 3). Nyarlothep continues to try and awaken the Ancient Ones to end the world, and he's bringing in friends to help.

I <3 face stealing monsters!
Bandit
Feb 29, 2012 Bandit rated it liked it
Very entertaining and horrific. Constant changing of the artists. While it is interesting to see different characters interpretations, it can also be quite disorienting at times. Recommended for Lovecraft and/or horror fans.
Matt
Sep 24, 2012 Matt rated it liked it
Didn't enjoy this one nearly as much as the first. I liked all of the art except for the Pablo E. Quiligotti art in the last two parts. It was so cartoony and crude it made those pages a complete slog for me.
Ryan Mishap
Jan 25, 2011 Ryan Mishap rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Good art, fine pacing, and nice and creepy. I wasn't expecting much from this series, but I like it. Too bad the library doesn't have any more. Frown.
[Name Redacted]
Jul 03, 2013 [Name Redacted] rated it it was amazing
A huge improvement over the previous volume! Fun, bloody, bleak pulp. As the Crawling Chaos commands...
Rajiv
Jan 28, 2014 Rajiv rated it really liked it
The new creations fit right into Lovecraft's universe. Brilliant stuff.
Kate
Oct 29, 2010 Kate rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novel
This was gruesome and creepy. I'm not sure I'll read any more of these.
Paula
May 15, 2009 Paula rated it liked it
Not as good as the first one but I'm still looking forward to volume three.
Sam McCanna
May 26, 2010 Sam McCanna rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
comics,horror
Niki Willems
Niki Willems marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Sam
Sam rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2016
Tyson
Tyson rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Shane Drury
Shane Drury marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Tyson Asdel
Tyson Asdel marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Tomasz
Tomasz marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Renato Dantas
Renato Dantas marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Aaron
Aaron marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Aaron Golden
Aaron Golden rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2016
Robert
Robert rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Andrew Parrish
Andrew Parrish marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Kieran
Kieran marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
  • Jenny Finn
  • Lovecraft
  • Yuggoth Cultures and Other Growths
  • The Next Wave (Clickers #2)
  • Haunt of Horror: Lovecraft
  • At the Mountains of Madness: A Graphic Novel
  • Marvel Zombies: Dead Days
  • World War Cthulhu: A Collection of Lovecraftian War Stories
  • The Innswich Horror
  • The Last Zombie: Dead New World (The Last Zombie, #1)
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 2: Dark Days
  • The Yellow Sign & Other Stories
  • Thor: Ages of Thunder
  • Crossed, Vol. 1
Michael Alan Nelson grew up in a small Indiana farming community before moving to Los Angeles in 2002. He is the winner of the 2004 New Times 55 Fiction contest for his short-short "The Conspirators" and was awarded the 2011 Glyph Comics Award for Best Female Character for the character Selena from his series "28 Days Later." Michael is the author of the critically acclaimed comic series "Hexed," ...more
More about Michael Alan Nelson...

Fall of Cthulhu (6 books)
  • The Fugue (Fall of Cthulhu, #1)
  • Fall of Cthulhu, Vol. 3: The Gray Man