Start by marking “Fall of Cthulhu, Vol. 2: The Gathering” as Want to Read:
Fall of Cthulhu, Vol. 2: The Gathering

Fall of Cthulhu, Vol. 2: The Gathering (Fall of Cthulhu #2)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  144 ratings  ·  16 reviews
A war is brewing as the Dreamlands is in upheaval and Mister Arkham plots his strategy on Earth. With only mankind standing in the way of a godwar, players and pawns move into place, choose new allegiances, and struggle with their role in Mister Arkham's plans for universal domination. Who will survive? Secrets are revealed as the next chapter in the war of Lovecraftian go...more
Published October 1st 2008 by BOOM! Studios (first published September 23rd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Fall of Cthulhu, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fall of Cthulhu, Vol. 2

At the Mountains of Madness by I.N.J. CulbardLovecraft by Hans RodionoffHaunt of Horror by Richard CorbenThe Case of Charles Dexter Ward by I.N.J. CulbardThe Shadow Out of Time by H.P. Lovecraft
Lovecraft Graphic Novels
18th out of 45 books — 20 voters
The Walking Dead, Vol. 01 by Robert KirkmanLocke & Key, Vol. 1 by Joe HillHellboy, Vol. 1 by Mike MignolaFrom Hell by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil Gaiman
Best Horror Comics/Graphic Novels!
108th out of 191 books — 118 voters

More lists with this book...

Mike
I kept wishing we'd see our protagonist Cy from the first book - the only handle of relatable sanity I could find there, and which made the story digestible for me.

This time around we have only the dark forces, slowly amassing their powers and friends to tip the balance in favour of their success.

As with the last book, I was frustrated with the story going in a direction that I didn't want it to go - but hungry fir more once I got to the end.

I'm a huge fan of horror movies so gore and evil don't...more
Guillermo
I had my doubts when I picked up Fall of Cthulhu: The Gathering at the public library. Maybe there was something I missed, another volume that I could've read before picking up The Gathering. Truth is, I only picked up the trade because of name recognition. I'm a fan of Lovecraft's work, and this graphic novel was obviously inspired by the mythos, extending from the Cthulhu mythos and touching down upon the Dreamlands.

However, Michael Alan Nelson's story left me wondering if he really was inspir...more
Dru
A good follow-up to the first issues (0-5, "the fugue") of Fall of Cthulhu. There were a few things I didn't like. First, they changed the artists around and so things like The Harlot look worse than they did in the first few issues. Also, I've read and re-read the whole "Vessel of Gith" section and I still can NOT figure out what the hell happened between Connor, the Gith and the jackyl-headed thing in the Dreamlands. A comic by its nature must tell the story with minimal words and maximum pict...more
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
Some very good art, some so-so. The sequence about the boy who is subverted/transformed is good, if unoriginal. Some of the visuals in the dreamlands are great. the narrative is not always very coherent or clear. The lack of interesting characters is a major dealbreaker.
Aramis
A decent but much less cohesive story than the first volume is made up for to some extent with a better average level of artwork, though nothing approaching the highest highs of the first books (and nothing near the lowest lows, either).

The middle section with the masked mute had appropriately pretty and therefore disturbing art. It was like Neil Gaiman's Blueberry Girl, except completely messed up. That said the writing in that middle section was as bland as the art was inspired.
David
I didn't enjoy this installment - which is four storylines concerning the calling forth of four ancient evils to prepare for the coming dark struggle - quite as much as the first installment, mainly because I did not enjoy equally all of the artists involved. Still, it is a great Lovecraft tribute, and I look forward to seeing where it all goes next.
Rajiv
The new creations fit right into Lovecraft's universe. Brilliant stuff.
Mouldy Squid
A continuation of the story started in volume one. The plot broadens, the protagonists shift between individual chapters (which is nice), and the art becomes more experimental in places (also nice). Still excellent work. Recommended reading for Lovecraft fans.
Elizabeth
The end of this book reminded me of parts of the Sandman series (which is why it gets 4 stars rather than 3). Nyarlothep continues to try and awaken the Ancient Ones to end the world, and he's bringing in friends to help.

I <3 face stealing monsters!
Bandit
Very entertaining and horrific. Constant changing of the artists. While it is interesting to see different characters interpretations, it can also be quite disorienting at times. Recommended for Lovecraft and/or horror fans.
Matt
Didn't enjoy this one nearly as much as the first. I liked all of the art except for the Pablo E. Quiligotti art in the last two parts. It was so cartoony and crude it made those pages a complete slog for me.
Ryan Mishap
Good art, fine pacing, and nice and creepy. I wasn't expecting much from this series, but I like it. Too bad the library doesn't have any more. Frown.
[Name Redacted]
A huge improvement over the previous volume! Fun, bloody, bleak pulp. As the Crawling Chaos commands...
Kate
This was gruesome and creepy. I'm not sure I'll read any more of these.
Paula
Not as good as the first one but I'm still looking forward to volume three.
Sam McCanna
comics,horror
Fredrik
Fredrik marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Μιχάλης
Μιχάλης marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Voland
Voland added it
Aug 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Michael Alan Nelson grew up in a small Indiana farming community before moving to Los Angeles in 2002. He is the winner of the 2004 New Times 55 Fiction contest for his short-short "The Conspirators" and was awarded the 2011 Glyph Comics Award for Best Female Character for the character Selena from his series "28 Days Later." Michael is the author of the critically acclaimed comic series "Hexed,"...more
More about Michael Alan Nelson...
28 Days Later, Vol. 1: London Calling The Fugue (Fall of Cthulhu, #1) Hexed 28 Days Later, Vol. 2: Bend in the Road 28 Days Later, Vol. 4: Gangwar