Start by marking “Old MacDonald Had a Farm” as Want to Read:
Old MacDonald Had a Farm

Old MacDonald Had a Farm

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  104 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Old MacDonald had a farm, and on that farm he had a whole barnyard of irresistibly cute and uproariously funny animals. With an oink-oink here, and a moo-moo there, the song ends showing the most precious resident of all, a very young MacDonald!
Published March 1st 2008 by Holiday House

To ask other readers questions about Old MacDonald Had a Farm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Old MacDonald Had a Farm

Fishing Into Potato Salad by Othen Donald Dale CummingsFetch by Adam Glendon SidwellChicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr.Turtle Wish by Murielle CyrBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.
Toddlers Ages 1-3
114th out of 144 books — 61 voters
Click, Clack, Moo by Doreen CroninFooling Ewe by Mike DemersBig Red Barn by Margaret Wise BrownBarnyard Dance by Sandra BoyntonStar of Wonder by Paige W. Pendleton
Farmyard Fun
96th out of 101 books — 57 voters

More lists with this book...

midnightfaerie
A great educational book for your younger ones. My twin 3 yr old's loved it. Colorful fun pictures that helps get the child engaged and keeps them engaged. Loved the paintings especially! A great addition to any children's library.
Kelly
If you're expecting to read a picture book of the song exactly as it's sung, you won't be disappointed in this book. I was expecting something a little different, I guess, so I didn't think this book was anything special. The art's nice though.[return][return]But the last spread showing Old MacDonald, his wife, and their baby gave me the heebie jeebies. I think because his hair is very gray and his wife's is very blonde. It made me think of Hugh Hefner. I know, I know, it's "Old MacDonald." But...more
Jeff
The illustrations in this take on the familiar children's song are warm and cartoonish. But it is also a little weird about the old farmer and his very young looking wife. Not to mention the overly long version of the song, where they have inserted at least twenty more E-I-E-I-O's into the singing of the song.
Shelley
I just love Cabrera's art in all of her books and the kids liked twist at the end. I cut down on parts of the story, which added extra phrase/eieos to the end of each verse.
Story Break 6/17/2014
jacky
I keep coming across Jane Cabrera and have decided I like her. She appears to have a lot of well illustrated books based on popular kids songs. It was an easy choice to take this out when I saw it at the library. I read it to Natalie while we were waiting for our food at Wendy's. I had her attention for about half of the book, and even after I stopped reading it, she was still interested in a few more pictures. The animal selection is what you would expect, but there is the unique inclusion of t...more
Tricia
As a librarian who often sings books during music-focused storytime, this book by Cabrera offers just enough similar/different from the classic song coupled with bold illustrations to work well as a singaloud. Starting with Old MacDonald "had a wife" with a "kiss kiss here"---expect groans and giggles from the preschool audience absorbing this twist in the song. May be a bit long, but in my experience all titles of this particular song tend to be lengthy due to the extent of the animals living o...more
Julie
It's like a love story for Old MacDonald... He starts with his wife, shows his animals, and ends with a baby! (waa, waa)

It just so happens that Old MacDonald looks like Kevin Cronin from REO Speedwagon (now, not in the 1980s). I found myself singing "Don't Let Him Go, e-i-e-i-o!" :)

On a more practical note... I read this with 3 groups of childen, and none were bothered by the kiss and loved the surprise of the baby at the end. We all agreed that we liked seeing Old MacDonald's family along with...more
Samantha
Not my favorite picture book version of this nursery rhyme classic. In this version readers also meet Old MacDonald's wife and baby? I was a little weirded out by the inclusion of the baby, maybe it's a grandchild?

My biggest problem with the painted illustrations was the fact that Old MacDonald didn't look very old. He had some crows feet about his eyes, but that's about it. Picky stuff on mjy part, but it's still a recommendable version, great for preschoolers.
Meg McGregor
Jane Cabrera's bouncy, eye-catching version of this classic nursery rhyme is a sure preschool crowd pleaser.

Old MacDonald had a farm with an adorable cow, some precious pigs, cute little lambs and a whole barnyard of irresistibly cute animals. By the end of the story he has the most precious animal of all, a very tiny and very young MacDonald

I love love this version of the nursery rhyme. Very good read!
Vivian
If you're doing story times for pre-school age children, you're sure to love all of Cabrera's picture book renditions of familiar songs. "Singing" a book rather than "reading" a book breaks up the program nicely. This version of the song begins with a wife (kiss, kiss) and ends with a baby (waa, waa). We concluded the story by shushing with our finger to our lips to quiet the group for the next story.
Barbara
This is a cute rendition of the old favorite, fun ending too. Lots of bright illustrations to keep the attention of the little munchkins you are reading to. Also lots of different things to talk about in each 2 page spread. I think it could be well used for the singing practice in ECRR.
Amy Brown
I love Cabrera's books because they are great for baby and toddler storytimes. This one is no different. It's another version of Old MacDonald with lots of animals for kids to make the animal sounds for, nice vibrant illustrations, and a surprise edition to the farming family at the end!
The Library Lady
There are surprisingly few versions of this classic barnyard song, and this one should prove to be a favorite. All the animals are here, the pictures have plenty of child appeal and there's a nice little twist to the song at the end--who on earth on the farm could say :Waa! Waa!"?
Heather
24 months - I guess I've just sung this song in the car to O a few too many times. The illustrations are just average and doesn't help to ease the pain of the repetitive nature of the song. I'm not going to touch on the 20+years age difference between he and his wife!
Erin
A fun storytime book with great illustrations and a nice twist on the classic song at the end. However, all the verses went on a little too long for the group of 1-year-olds I work with. Their attention was definitely starting to flag by the end.
Dolly
Mar 07, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents reading with them
This is a simple rendition of the classic children's song, accompanied by adorable illustrations. Our youngest brought this home from her elementary school library. It's a fun book, especially for beginning readers.
Suzanne
This will definitely be included in my next storytime! Not only does it cover the farm animals but also Old Man MacDonald's family as well. Probably the best book-version of the song I've ever read!
Denise
This is a very cute version of a classic. Old MacDonald has more than animals on his farm, he has a wife...and a baby too! Adorable illustrations, what you expect from Cabrera. Great for storytime.
Lisa
I like the older version by Glen Rounds better than this one. This one has a wife and baby in it.
Glen Rounds has all animals in his version and better illustrations in my opinion.
Anaeka
Leah
I love Cabrera's illustrations! This book tells the classic children's song with a couple little extras. Good to read along with parents in babytime.
Carissa
Great illustrations with a fun surprise at the end. The goat munching requires a bit of explanation.
Mary
This is a cute version. Old MacDonald's facial expressions don't change much, but there is a twist ending!
CFAITC
Sep 27, 2013 CFAITC added it
Shelves: primary
Old MacDonald has a farm, a horse, some sheep, and a big surprise in this sing-a-long picture book.
Deb
Just used parts of for bright colored animals to look at while singing.
Lucy
Toddlers, Pre-K, narrative skills, sing and read book, print motivation.
Kati
Cute ... my kids "sang" the book. It has a surprise ending :-)
Susan Erhardt
My five-year-old and I LOVED this book!
Kathy Fredrickson
Also using for baby time :)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
If You're Happy and You Know It! Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star Cat's Colors Ten in the Bed The Wheels on the Bus