Start by marking “Food in the United States, 1820s-1890” as Want to Read:
Food in the United States, 1820s-1890

Food in the United States, 1820s-1890

3.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  7 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
The period from the 1820s to 1890 was one of invention, new trends, and growth in the American food culture. Inventions included the potato chip and Coca-Cola. Patents were taken out for the tin can, canning jars, and condensed milk. Vegetarianism was promulgated. Factories and mills such as Pillsbury came into being, as did Quaker Oats and other icons of American food. Th ...more
Published August 1st 2006 by Greenwood Press

To ask other readers questions about Food in the United States, 1820s-1890, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Food in the United States, 1820s-1890

gina
Jul 22, 2011 gina rated it it was ok
This book is really more of a text book, with lengthy end notes and direct quotes from diaries and historical cookbooks from the time period. It was interesting, but a looooong looooong read. I would *not* suggest getting this from your library. You'll owe fees or give up well before it's due. But if you are truly interested in the history of food in this country you will learn something from this book. However, for the less academic reader you might be better suited to reading (or rather listen ...more
Stephanie Carroll
Nov 02, 2014 Stephanie Carroll rated it it was amazing
Was checking this book out to see if it would be good to purchase for reference purposes as I write my historical fiction. It has some really good details not just about recipes but example menus from the time period. It also has information about cutlery and other important things to do with eating in America in the nineteenth century. A really valuable resource in my opinion.
Wm
Interesting from a survey/lists perspective. I would have liked more detail and context in a lot of places -- we get individual recipes here and there and huge long lists, but what about a few pages of reproductions of restaurant menus or stats on sales and production of various products or advertisements? Also: there's no end chapter that summarizes and wraps things up.
Katrina
This is a great history book. I'm enjoying it so far. I learned so much about inventions/food/trends from this book. Very interesting.
Alex Quark
Alex Quark marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016
Theresa Donovan Brown
Theresa Donovan Brown is currently reading it
Jun 05, 2015
Laura Lee
Laura Lee marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Briannon
Briannon rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2015
James
James marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Jill
Jill rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2012
Lindsay O'Neill
Lindsay O'Neill marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2012
Alex Ballew
Alex Ballew marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2012
Jenn Manley Lee
Jenn Manley Lee rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2012
Jamie
Jamie rated it it was ok
Aug 18, 2011
Fred
Fred marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2010
Margaret Puskar-Pasewicz
Margaret Puskar-Pasewicz marked it as to-read
May 20, 2008
Susan Williams writes stories for young readers because "when I was a kid, books meant everything to me." She loves visiting schools and libraries to talk about writing and to run writers' workshops. Susan Williams lives with her husband, two daughters, and many pets in the wilds of western New York.
More about Susan Williams...