Start by marking “Lost Tribe: Jewish Fiction from the Edge” as Want to Read:
Lost Tribe: Jewish Fiction from the Edge

Lost Tribe: Jewish Fiction from the Edge

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Funny, raw, dark, sometimes outrageous, the twenty-five contributors to Lost Tribe explore themes such as conflicted identities, sexual fetishes, religious intolerance, and even the troubled legacy of the Holocaust to create a stirring picture of contemporary Jewish life. Lost Tribe features stories and commentary from a brilliant mixture of critically acclaimed and emergi ...more
Published August 5th 2003 by Harper Perennial (first published August 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Lost Tribe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lost Tribe

Isaac

Alarmingly samey stuff, differentiated mostly by level of craft rather than subject matter. There are a few gems, but what is missing for the most part is genuine humanity in characterization, empathy for characters, understanding that goes deeper than reacting to personal and historical trauma. This is to be expected from younger writers, I guess, but, it makes for an unpleasant build of grime on your insides as you read. Not a pleasant experience.
Meri
My ex got this for me and I loved it! Used to teach 2 of the stories in it. I'm jealous I didn't think to anthologize contemporary Jewish writers first. Then again, I thought of Netflix first but didn't move on it! You snooze, you lose! I often go back to this book, and I always know exactly where it is in my stacks.
alex
3 stars for the lack of consistency in quality. some of the stories, like Michael Lowenthal's "Ordinary Pain" deserve 5 stars, while others like Dara Horn's "Barbarians at the Gates" deserves negative stars. Other worthwhile contributors include Tova Mirvis, Myla Goldberg, Ellen Miller, Susan Sherman, and Jonathon Safran Foer.
Allison
Sep 04, 2008 Allison rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
I've been trying to find this book on here! Great short stories by Allegra Goodman, Jonathan Safron Foer, and many other Jewish lit writers. Read it in a Jewish Literature class in college and didn't sell it back at the end of the semester. This is a good book to keep and go back to every once in a while!
Lisa Gould
These are excerpts from novels or else short stories published on their own. I found some of them really well written, entertaining, thought provoking, others not very compelling, skipped a few, but overall would recommend.
Keith Brooks
Some good stories but it was a gift not something I would go out and buy.
Maryam
Jan 09, 2008 Maryam marked it as to-read
I wonder if I could get more information about this book.
Can anybody help me find out more?
Jess
Nov 24, 2009 Jess rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009
A great collection of stories by Jewish authors; I especially liked Tova Mirvis' contribution.
Melissa
I read this so long ago that I can't even remember which stories I liked the best :/
Q
Q is currently reading it
Jul 04, 2015
Peggy
Peggy marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Xene
Xene is currently reading it
Jun 12, 2015
Sarah added it
Jun 12, 2015
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Nina Haller
Nina Haller marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Noog
Noog marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Nikalette Acevedo
Nikalette Acevedo marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Tzipora
Tzipora marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Heath
Heath marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Gina
Gina added it
Sep 09, 2014
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Paul Zakrzewski is the editor of Lost Tribe: Jewish Fiction from the Edge (Harper Perennial 2003), inspired by a popular reading series at the KGB Bar in New York’s East Village. His essays, reviews, and features have appeared in The New York Times, Washington Post, Boston Globe, and most recently, A Living Lens: Photographs of Jewish Life from the Pages of the Forward, just published by W.W. Nort ...more
More about Paul Zakrzewski...