Start by marking “Squids Will be Squids: Fresh Morals, Beastly Fables (Picture Puffin)” as Want to Read:
Squids Will be Squids: Fresh Morals, Beastly Fables (Picture Puffin)

Squids Will be Squids: Fresh Morals, Beastly Fables (Picture Puffin)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  1,575 ratings  ·  187 reviews
A collection of new and wacky fables with fresh morals, which are about all kinds of bossy, sneaky, funny and annoying people. A general moral offered by the book is, "If you are planning to write fables, don't forget to change people's names and avoid places with high cliffs".
Published August 23rd 1999 by Puffin Books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Squids Will be Squids, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Squids Will be Squids

Melissa Long
The book is set up in a vertical, or portrait, format, with one page consisting of the text and the other consisting of illustrations. However, every once in a while the images and text will be together in a double page spread. Neither the text nor the illustrations are restricted by boarders but have a full bleed on each page. A unique thing about the text in particular; however, is that at the end of each "mini story" on each page is a little enclosed text box that says "Moral" and then gives ...more
Oliver Danni
This book was a lot of fun, though I am not sure I would have liked it as much when I was in the target age group. Readers who are disturbed by morbid humor might find some of the stories in this book distressing (I know I would have it I'd read it as a chld) I would definitely recommend reading Aesop's Fables and other similar classics like the Just-So Stories by Rudyard Kipling, before reading this book, in order to fully appreciate the context of the parodic humor.
Punk
Picture Book. Fun illustrations with sly humor and somewhat punny morals, modeled on Aesop's fables, where if you can't say something nice about someone, go ahead and say something mean but change their name to "mouse" or "horseshoe crab." My favorites were "Squids will be Squids," "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day," and "There are some things we don't talk about at the dinner table." Also the image of a shark eating a tuna fish sandwich.

Colorful full-page art and text featuring u
Abby Spiel
Every page has a moral or lesson to be learned. There isn't necessarily a plot, but a story on each page that basically teaches the "moral of the story." The characters in the book vary. There are some animals such as deer, squid, a mouse and a rabbit, and then there is a page that has types of breakfast foods as the main characters. That page gives a story about toast and eggs at a breakfast table discussing the positives and negatives of each food, then the moral of the story was, "Breakfast i ...more
Sashel Palacios
Jon Scieszka writes another great children’s book called Squids Will Be Squids: Fresh Morals and Beastly Fables, which has a lot of similar features like his other books. Throughout the book, each page is a different “story” that successfully, explains a moral while keeping it child friendly. For example, the first “story” tells an experience of a young Grasshopper who tells his “Mom Grasshopper” that he has no homework and he has time to go on a play date with a close friend. When the Grasshopp ...more
Ashley R.
Squids Will Be Squids is a very busy book! There is so much to look at and it is all divided up into specific sections. It is a children's book, but it is split up into moral lessons, kind of like chapters. This book has several stories in it that have the purpose of teaching common moral lessons and some not so common ones. At the end of each story, the targeted moral lesson is explained very clearly. The illustrations in this book are extremely bold. The color scheme in Squids Will Be Squids i ...more
Katie Adee
Hilarious. Great art. Had me grinning the whole way through. The silliness is a perfect appeal to kids and the morals (Aesop fable stuff) are applicable to every day life.
Alison Durbin
This book is interesting to say the least. I liked how they included new (and unique) fables I had never heard of before. Many of them were funny, but some still leave me puzzled. I loved the idea of having the morals given at the end of each fable; honestly, I don't think I would have understood/known the moral had it not been given to me. This book could be used to discuss morals in stories, since one of the standards has to do with identifying morals in fables/folk tales. I think the kids wou ...more
Andrea Wilkinson
This is really funny--classic Jon Scieszka!
Bernadette
Apparently, to write fables, all you have to do is think of someone you don’t like, change them into an animal and add a moral. That’s exactly what happens in this book as the readers are taken through several animal tales including ‘Grasshopper Logic’, about a grasshopper who procrastinates on his homework, ‘Elephant and Mouse’, about an elephant who forgets to call home, ‘Straw and Matches’, about straw who decides not to play with matches, ‘Little Walrus’ who tells the truth about his mother ...more
Valeta
Summary
This book consists of several short and hilarious stories that lead to a moral. My favorite is Straw & Matches. It’s about Straw suggesting a fun activity and Matches making unfair rules. The moral of the story is don’t play with matches.

Response
I give this book a four star rating. It is an enjoyable reading and has great illustrations to go with each of the stories.

Classroom Connection
Conduct a classroom discussion about fables. If necessary, define fables (a short narrative stor
Cindi
The writing and illustration team that created "The Stinky Cheeseman and Other Fairly Stupid Tales" has teamed up several times in the past. Another of Jon Scieszka's and Lane Smith's amazing books for kids that adults are sure to enjoy is "Squids Will Be Squids: Fresh Morals, Beastly Fables." Full of animals and inanimate objects that are the subject of moral tales in the spirit of a twisted and skewed Aesop, everyone who reads this book will be laughing out loud.

Each fable is one or two pages
Shel
Jul 24, 2009 Shel added it
Shelves: picturebooks
Scieszka, J., & Smith, L. (1998). Squids Will Be Squids: Fresh morals, beastly tales. New York: Puffin Books.

A good break from or companion to Aesop's Fables. Squids Will Be Squids shares 18 silly fables that manage to be both relatable to kids and incorporate far-fetched ideas to amuse. The moral accompanying each story manages to be just the right amount of ridiculous to get kids laughing out loud. Issues explored including saving a huge history project to the last minutes, deali
Jessica
This is one of my favorite books to read for a class visit to the library. Jon Scieszka is a fantastic children's book author with lots of kid and adult appeal (The True Story of the Three Little Pigs, The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales), as is Lane Smith (John, Paul, George & Ben, It's a Book), so this collection of "fables" is truly a snarky delight. According to Scieszka, "If you can't say something nice about someone, change the guy's name to Donkey or Squid." Basically, ...more
Brenna
To tell a story about a known associate, but to substitute an animalistic series of characters for the role of the tale's human counterparts, is what author Jon Scieszka associates with the recounting of a “fable.” Henceforth, one is to assume that the eighteen fables presented herein are based on actual events. This basic assumption leads to the greater enjoyment of each.

Take, for instance, the “beastly fable” regarding “Grasshopper Logic.” The moppet grasshopper, as is his wont, procrastinates
Kayla Bennett
This is a book that I really want to buy. It was fables but in a humorous way. I really love the morals. They may not apply directly to life but they bring a fun spirit to the stories. I really liked that the author tells us at the beginning that they are writing this as if Aesop was sitting here with nothing to do in a classroom and how they are going to portray the stories as he would. I feel like the humor of the story was the best part of it all. It brought a smile to my face.
G (galen)
fun illustrations. and weird funny little fables with off the wall morals. I just got finished reading this one to my son for bed time. I thought it would be over his head but he got a kick out of it. especially the one about horseshoe crab and blowfish.

A Sample:

Deer, Mouse, Rabbit and Squid sat on the steps trying to decide what to do.
"Let's go see a movie" said Deer. "Great" said Mouse. "Great" said Rabbit. "There's nothing good on," said Squid.

"Let's play frisbee in the park," said Mouse.
Bethany Bennett
Squids Will Be Squids was HIGHlarious. Literally I felt like I was high reading it. It pretty much tells you at the beginning of the book that its making fun of real people. I think that's awesome. Part of me thinks that this book wouldn't be good to read with kids because it is so off the walls bizarre. But then the other part of me is thinking you know what with the right person reading I think kids would get a kick out of this. I mean it's teaching life lessons that everyone should know but i ...more
Maria
Scieszka points out that fables are ways to gossip about people without getting in trouble because you change their names. This book is filled with clever new fables about beasts with important morals like, "There are plenty of things to say to calm a hopping mad Grasshopper mom. 'I don't know' is not one of them." and "If you are an ant and are going to dump your best friend for a new one, you should know that Echidna is another name for Spiny Anteater."

Why I started this book: I was checking b
Janette
This book was very funny but also very random, kind of like fables. I really enjoyed the way Jon Scieszka seemed to play around and have fun with the fables. I'm a huge fan of his fairy tale book The Stinky Cheese Man, and the only reason I liked that one more was because I'm more familiar with fairy tales. But I thoroughly enjoyed Squids will be Squids and I'm very much a fan of Scieszka's style.
Michael
Another fine read by Jon Scieszka (author of "The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales", "The True Story of the Three Little Pigs" and "Math Curse") that will surly get the attention of any reader with a sharp (read weird) mind. A take off from the fables of Aesop (who was thrown to his death off a cliff), you meet Elephant, Squid, Ant, Echidna, Walrus, Slug, Straw, Matches, Rock, Paper & Scissors, even BeefSnakStik, among many others. Their stories/fables are told, and each has a ...more
Michelle Heegaard
I was a little dissapointed because I thought the stories in this book would be longer. But they were sweet little stories that I would like to read for my children one day.
What I really liked was the fact that it was a little different. On story per age and there were little 'moral'-explanations in the end at each page. That was different and therefor pretty interesting.
CB
After giving the Big Bad Wolf his say and covering the Gingerbread man in stinky cheese, Scieszka and Smith have now flipped Aesop on his head. Similar to The Stinky Cheese Man, this book presents a series of brief stories which only loosely resemble Aesop's original fables. Each piece contains a clearly identified moral (it labels it "moral" with brackets and a different font). In "Frog's New Shoes", for instance, Frog watches a TV commercial for new skateboard shoes, runs out to buy them, and ...more
Douglas Jankowski
I think this was one of the funniest and wittiest books I have read. It's a good take on Aesop's Fables and takes common sayings and phrases and turns them into a satirical pun. I enjoyed every page of this and couldn't help from laughing. I also enjoyed the art and would recommend this to anyone in search of a good laugh. Overall, two thumbs up, and very enjoyable.
Isabel
Jon Scieszka teaches some hilarious morals in Squids Will Be Squids. This is a great humorous book that you can read to your classroom but not all at once. It can be split up fable by fable. Once again Lane Smith offers up his beautiful and unique paintings for one of Scieszka quirky and strange stories. I am quite a fan of their work when they team up together!
Elly White
This book has a strange name, funny tales, vibrant illustrations that cover and use the whole page. I wasn't sure what to expect when I picked it up. Scieszka and Smith did not disappoint. It is a book that adults will enjoy reading to kids, also the kids will like it as well. Definitely for someone with a bit of an odd sense of humor, most kids do.
Katie Hibbard
This book was hilarious! The fables in this book were very fun, and the wacky illustrations were a perfect match for the mood! I especially loved the fable "Hand, Foot, and Tongue"; it made me laugh out loud, and it definitely gave me more reason to be grateful for my body (even though it was a little gross!) This is a great book for both kids and adults.
Whitney Summers
I thought this collection of folklore tales were very comical. I loved how at the end of each ridiculous and very literal interpretation of the fables it told you the actual moral of the story they were trying to get across. This book was just a fun take on old stories or tales we have all heard.
Ronyell
"Squids Will Be Squids" is a follow up to Jon Scieszka's and Lane Smith's most popular books "The Stinky Cheese Man" and "The True Story of the Three Little Pigs." In this book, there are many fables talking about morals in the modern world such as a fable about how a young grasshopper makes his mother angry by waiting until the last minute to complete a huge assignment and a fable about a young walrus who tells her friend Whale a bit too much about what her mother is doing out of town.

"Squids W
Edward Creter
This book has fables almost like Aesop--without the charm and plus more heavyhandedness than a kid would want OR need. The tales are funny but preachy in a way, so giving this one a 3 star review seems fair, but too kind. Try the original Aesop instead--it should still be in libraries.
  • John, Paul, George & Ben
  • Dinorella: A Prehistoric Fairytale
  • Edward and the Pirates
  • Madlenka
  • Bear Despair
Jon Scieszka is a writer and teacher. He lives in Brooklyn, New York, with his wife and two children. Occasionally he has been known to howl at the full moon. --from the dust jacket of "The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs"

Jon Scieszka is also the author of the best-selling ALA Notable Book, The True Story of the Three Little Pigs, as well as Knights of the Kitchen Table, and The Not-So-Jolly Roger
More about Jon Scieszka...
The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs The Stinky Cheese Man: And Other Fairly Stupid Tales Math Curse The Frog Prince, Continued Knucklehead: Tall Tales and Almost True Stories of Growing up Scieszka