The Great Enigma: New Collected Poems
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating

The Great Enigma: New Collected Poems

by
4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  424 ratings  ·  46 reviews
The Collected Poems of one of the world's greatest living writers, Tomas Tranströmer, now available in this comprehensive edition.

In day's first hours consciousness can grasp the world
as the hand grips a sun-warmed stone.


Translated into fifty languages, the poetry of Tomas Tranströmer has had a profound influence around the world, an influence that has steadily grown and h...more
Paperback, 288 pages
Published October 17th 2006 by New Directions
more details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.
The Complete Poems by Emily DickinsonLeaves of Grass by Walt WhitmanThe Waste Land and Other Poems by T.S. EliotShakespeare's Sonnets by William ShakespeareAriel by Sylvia Plath
Best Poetry Books
370th out of 1,273 books — 1,370 voters
Doctor Zhivago by Boris PasternakLord of the Flies by William GoldingThe Old Man and the Sea by Ernest HemingwayOne Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcí­a MárquezThe Stranger by Albert Camus
The Nobel Prize in Literature Goodreads Group Shelf
195th out of 243 books — 38 voters


More lists with this book...

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30 of 1,179)
filter  |  sort: default (?)  |  rating details
s.penkevich
This collection of poetry, from the whole of Transtromer's career, more than justifies the stamp of "Nobel Prize Winner" that is printed on the cover. Shamefully, I had never heard of this Swedish born poet until the week before he won the prize. I had read an article that highlighted him as a frontrunner for the prize this year and I began to seek out his poetry. It took a bit of patience, and I urge anyone to first flip around in the book for awhile until they find the right poem that speaks t...more
Petya Kokudeva
Чела съм части от тази книга на английски, сега, за радост, поживях в нея и на български. По какво долових, че ме е доближила съвсем и съм я заобичала дори повече, отколкото предполагам.

Първо. Не мога да чета, без да подчертавам. Не знам защо, все едно не чета органично и нямам контакт, ако не пиша, подчертавам и рисувам на места. НО ТАЗИ КНИГА аз направо я илюстрирах - сега гледам, какво ли няма - човечета с щръкнали коси (тях ги ползвам като NB), детелини, вълни, пр. Явно толкова ме е придърп...more
PGR Nair
TOMAS TRANSTROMER TASTES TRIUMPH WITH NOBEL PRIZE

PGR Nair

The poet Tomas Transtromer has finally tasted triumph by winning the Nobel Prize for literature for 2011. The Swedish Academy praised Mr. Tranströmer, saying that “through his condensed, translucent images, he gives us fresh access to reality.” This is absolutely true of his serene poetry.

The 80-year-old Tomas Transtromer is one of the greatest Scandinavian poets and has had a profound influence in the literary world as Sweden’s most imp...more
Peycho Kanev
Голямата загадка Тумас Транстрьомер

Още в началото на XX век големият норвежки писател Кнут Хамсун възкликва: „Научих толкова много от шведската поезия и най-вече от поетите й от новото поколение.” Тук е мястото да призная, че не съм задълбочен изследовател и познавач на шведската поезия, но мога да твърдя, че също съм научил много от поетите на тази държава, които съм чел в превод на английски. Такива като Хари Едмунд Мартинсон, Гунар Екельоф, Дан Андершон и Ялмар Гулберг.
Но има един шведски пое...more
Dessislava
''Внезапен повей и пердето се развява.
Мълчанието сепва със звън като будилник.
Внезапен повей и пердето се развява,
догдето някъде една врата се тръшва силно

далеч оттук, в година друга.''


Поезията на Транстрьомер е изненадващо искрена. В същото време обаче тя не изглежда като от този свят, а е по-скоро негово ехо, негова сянка. Представете си как покрай вас минава красива жена, но нямате време да видите нейното лице, защото е отминала бързо. Успявате обаче да вдишате аромата й, който остава да...more
A.M.
Dec 27, 2011 A.M. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
My only regret after finishing this fascinating book of poetry is that I would have read the very last chapter, a prose memoir piece called "Memories of Me," prior to reading any of the poetry. I encourage new readers of this book to read the last chapter first. Transtromer's poetry is beautiful but abstruse, his images powerful but multi-layered. At times, I felt as if I were reading a poetic form of stream-of-consciousness, or a transcription from a hypnotic state of mind. In his memoir, Trans...more
Harman
Seeing as this is poetry, I don't read straight through it as I would prose, so to be honest I haven't completely finished this book, but I've read enough of it in my opinion to have "read" it.
Tomas Transtroemer is phenomenal. Rarely have I found language so powerful and intimate that resonates as deeply within me as Transtroemer's work does. The Blue House on page 169 is probably my favorite poem, at least currently. I'm crazy about the line "I am grateful for this life! But still I miss the al...more
Nick
Poems should be experienced, not talked about. But I will say that these austere, quiet poems from the Nobel Prize winner bring a vision of a lonely soul communing with nature and trying to understand the vagaries of his fellow human beings. A haiku from the "Sad Gondola" series seems to sum up his world view:

Oak trees and the moon.
Light. Silent constellations.
And the cold ocean.
Carrie
Tranströmer has managed to capture all of my most private, profound thoughts, wrap them up in loving words, and send them back to me. The Blue House in particular has great significance for me: "It’s always so early in here, before the crossroads, before the irrevocable choices. Thank you for this life! Still I miss the alternatives. The sketches, all of them, want to become real."
Pete Mackey
A great collection through which to see Transtromer's mastery evolve while core humane interests remain, expanding outward as they do to greater issues of ethics and responsibility, of what separates or stands in the way. Always present is the question of one person's place in the whole, whether the scene, the surroundings or the society, which becomes, in subject at least, more personal as his output grows and years pass. A few are quite oblique and perhaps lost in translation, but many of thes...more
Angel
I picked this up mostly because it was convenient (my local public library had it) and because it is the 2011 Nobel Prize in Literature. So, given I had not really heard of this author before, I was curious. I gave it a low rating because, for me, the book was just ok. I think other people may have a higher opinion, and that is ok. This book has some positives and some negatives. On the positive, when the author is good, he is good. There are some very rich images, very evocative of dreams and i...more
Patti K
This collection features poems from his earliest work in 1954 to work in 2004. It also
includes a brief prose memoir written in 1993. There are many good and great poems
to be read here. Transtromer looks at the void and the shifting sense of self trying
to understand its place in the world. Some of them are deep image poems. Some are
dreamlike, others simple and forthright. Always there is a certain solemn tone that
surrounds his words. I very much enjoyed this work. There are quite a few haiku in...more
David Murphy
I'm not much of a poetry buff (and the poetry I do like emphasizes meter and rhyme), but a Swedish friend gave this slim volume to me as a Christmas present and so I dutifully plowed through it. I suppose I'm glad I did. I read it back to front (in reverse chronological order), as the foreword recommended, and I'm glad I did since his later work appealed to me more.

I think Transtromer's strength is in creating these vivid images that reach up and grab you, even through translation. I would be r...more
Alexis
Jun 08, 2012 Alexis rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Really loved Transtromer's work. He's a Swedish poet whose work has been translated into over 50 languages. He's won the Nobel prize. His work is amazing- he's a plain language poet, who writes both about nature and the urban cityscape. His images were dark and haunting, but easy to understand.

Really loved this. I'm glad that I decided to explore Swedish writers as part of my research for my upcoming trip.
Mia Tryst
Sigh. I am having major difficulties liking this book. Maybe the translations are bad. The writing did not engage me. Maybe after a pot of coffee, some donuts (for their sugar content) and a few more years, I'll be wedded to Tranströmer's poetry. It's not happening now. It's like waiting for the light to come on and I'm just really stumbling around in the dark trying to get my bearings.
Kecia
How do you translate poetry? Poetry relies so heavily on the sounds of words and subtle meanings.

It's hard to get a sense of Transtromer. I think it's only because he gets lost in translation. Everyone once in awhile I would read a line and think...ah! there it is!...only to be let down two lines on. But those few glimmers of Transtromer, they were brilliant!
Pierre
4.5/5


Memories Look at Me

"A June morning, too soon to wake,
too late to fall asleep again.

I must go out—the greenery is dense
with memories, they follow me with their gaze.

They can’t be seen, they merge completely into
the background, true chameleons.

They are so close that I can hear them breathe
though the birdsong is deafening."
Tyler Malone
The shorter poems are much more engaging than the longer poems. Mr. Tranströmer does well with sparse lines, but the longer they are, I can see than a few more edits would have unpacked what he wanted to say, or make the reader feel, in the longer poems. But this is the collection for fans of contemporary poetry to begin with, in my opinion.
Virginia Durksen
Long, wandering, often missing a point, much like middle age!? Could have been a third as long and still made the same points. I'm glad there's some research being done on what the middle of life looks like, but by the time we get here, we don't want to waste our time. Or, we want to waste our time in ways that are more interesting.
Cooper Renner
Better than most contemporary poetry books, hence four stars, but I agree with Jarrell--a great lyric poet only gets struck by lightning (inspiration) maybe a dozen times in life, and Transtromer is probably a near great and not a great. When he is "on", however, it is quite good. The closing prose memoir is also very interesting.
Sarah
I remember loving Transtromer a few years back, but this book wasn't as riveting as I remembered. Still good, though. I love his images. I am more a fan of his shorter poems than his longer poems. The memoir in the back was kind of dry and unnecessary. I can't wait to go through all the poems again!
Dennis
I just did not find this collection (which was a retrospective of Transtromer's work) worthy of the accolades it has received. There were a few powerful poems, but most we're self-indulgent and simply filled with unintelligible references. I much prefer Bukowski or Simic.
Bart Mallio
Transtromer is unique and mysterious, translucent, bright, and dense. It took me months to finish this slim volume, as his work demands (and justifies) reflection. Its been a real joy discovering his work and his voice-- the Nobel committee was spot-on with this choice.
Patrick Mcgee
There is only word that I can think of that adequately describes the awesomeness that is Transtromer. WHOA!! Highly recommended. Note that this is the best translation of his work that I have read. Robin Fulton does an excellent job with these translations.
Colin
I love Transtromer but I find myself disappointed with the translation of this volume. I got hooked on the Bly translations and was very excited when this one came out. Unfortunately, the language in this translation just isn't as exact as Bly's.
Ajai   Mangattu


One of the wonderful books of poems I have read recently.

Not for speed reading. Wait for lonely nights. Patience will be answered.

It s complicated, dense with unmeasured depths. It s for wandering souls

S.
Oct 17, 2008 S. rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to S. by: Michi G.
Shelves: poetry, read-in-2008
I haven't actually "read" the whole book, but finished most of it and found it rather slow going. Although I appreciate Tranströmer, I find it often hard to connect. I'm sure the failure is all mine...
Liz
Transtromer MIGHT be a robot in disguise, his poems are so incredible. They grabbed me and throttled me and burrowed into my skin and broke out all over me and I think Transtromer will be a chronic affliction.
Megan Rich
Tranströmer is one of my favorite poets to teach, especially when I was living in Sweden. His poems are truly dazzling, though they are somehow minimalistic. Highly recommended!
Andrea Cleary
I was super intimidated by this book at first, but I am absolutely obsessed with it now... Transtromer is now one of my favorite poets and is deeply affecting me and my work at the moment.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 39 40 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • Without End: New and Selected Poems
  • Miracle Fair: Selected Poems
  • Selected Poems and Prose of Paul Celan
  • New and Collected Poems: 1931-2001
  • The Collected Poems, 1956-1998
  • The Selected Poems
  • Facts About the Moon
  • One Hundred Poems from the Chinese
  • The Selected Poems
  • The Tunnel: Selected Poems
  • The Great Fires
  • Winter Stars
  • Collected Poems in English
  • The Complete Poetry
  • The Selected Poetry
  • Dancing in Odessa
  • The Collected Poems, 1957-1987
  • The Shadow of Sirius
446692
His poetry, building on Modernism, Expressionism, and Surrealism, contains powerful imagery concerned with issues of fragmentation and isolation. “He has perfected a particular kind of epiphanic lyric, often in quatrains, in which nature is the active, energizing subject, and the self (if the self is present at all) is the object,” notes critic Katie Peterson in the Boston Review.

Critic and poet...more
More about Tomas Tranströmer...
The Half-Finished Heaven Selected Poems, 1954-1986 The Deleted World The Sorrow Gondola Memories Look at Me: A Memoir

Share This Book

“Every abstract picture of the world is as impossible as a blueprint of a storm,” 1 likes
“I wrote so meagerly to you. But what I couldn't write
swelled and swelled like an old-fashioned airship
and drifted away at last through the night sky.”
1 likes
More quotes…