Blank-133x176
Chasses sur la Lune Ro...

Marion Zimmer Bradley

Chasses sur la Lune Rouge: unité t1 (Hunters #1)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  572 ratings  ·  27 reviews
This long unavailable novel by Bradley, the bestselling author of The Mists of Avalon, and her brother, a well-known science fiction author in his own right, tells the story of the Hunters--fierce killers and shapechangers who promise fabulous wealth to any opponents who can survive being hunted by them for the time between two eclipses of the Red Moon. Reissue.
222 pages
Published (first published September 1st 1973)

Whispers from the Pirate's Ghost ("As the Pirate Aarhgs")
I was voting on a list of Sci-fi books and I realized that this book hasn't had a lot of attention. I read this in High School and it's affected everything sci-fi wise from what I read to those things I tried to write and even Television Shows.

This is an adventure story into the vast unknown void of space. It's full of rich and interesting characters from a huge 9 foot tall Protosaur (lizardman) with a wonderful sense of humor to a beautiful empath and a sexy lady warrior. The Protagonist is in...more
Glen Stripling
I read the 1973 edition, (George Barr cover). Until I found this book I have never heard of Marion Zimmer Bradley but I am pleased she is in my idea of sci-fi. Her take on alien worlds and unique beings is imaginative and her command of theme and philosophy is great.

Hunters is the story of Dane Marsh, who is abducted from Earth to an alien slave ship. He befriends a group of fellow captives who join together for an attempted escape. And one sees his new friends as a whole spectrum of unique char...more
Mike (the Paladin)
At first glance four stars might seem high for this book, but i give the high marks for pure enjoyment value. I read this long ago and it was just the thing for an adrenalin charged hormone engorged young man who got into action packed thrill rides.

Kidnapped, carried away from earth...the hero gets involved in an attempted takeover of the slaver's ship. This shows a certain amount of...appitude for what is needed by the Hunters. Once delivered there, all he has to do is survive till the Red Moon...more
Miriam
I suspect that if I reread this as an adult I'd find it dated and extremely cheesy. As I kid I just thought it was bad.
David Cowan
I remembered reading this pulpy sci-fi novel out of the 70s when I was a kid, where some guy was abducted out in the middle of the ocean and put in some sort of intergalactic jail. One of his fellow inmates was this ten-foot-tall philosopher lizard, and it was this big, imprinting experience to meet this character. I've had this great love of philosopher-giants ever since, from the Ogier in the Wheel of Time novels to the Gurahl in White Wolf's Werewolf: the Apocalypse game. I wanted to double b...more
Matt
Luckily, with Science fiction, you can judge a book by its cover and this one is no exception. An early pot-boiler by Bradley, this one clocks in at just over 200 pages. A pretty quick read. The characters are rather engaging and Bradley does a fairly decent job of tying in what would be a macho fighting yarn into a question of ethics and the classification treatment of sentient life.
Bradley does good fight scenes. She knows ancient weaponry and nothing seems to overly dramatic.
The novel is set...more
Valerie
This is the first book by Bradley I ever read. She wrote it with her brother, and I remember doubting whether her work would be as good when writing alone.

Though the story is presented as a simple story from the perspective of the prey in a hunt of sapient beings, I was most impressed by the discussions of extraterrestrial sapientology and variances. I did later realize that Bradley tended to regard the way Earth zoology worked out as universal (Stephen Hay Gould's point that even vertebrates di...more
Maddalena
Un pianeta con un'immensa luna di sangue, un gioco all'ultimo sangue tra prede e cacciatori, un incontro tra esseri di pianeti diversi.
Interessante, molto interessante.
Elisabeth Waters
This is a straight-forward science-fiction adventure book. I read it years ago, and I'm glad to have it available on Kindle, so I can appreciate it again.

Marion wrote this book with her brother Paul; he didn't get cover credit on this one, but he did on its sequel, The Survivors. They used to joke that he provided the violence and she provided the sex--and certainly the detailed description of the Samurai sword didn't come from her. But even if there are places where I can tell which one of them...more
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Aliens kidnap individuals from various sentient species of different worlds to serve as challenging prey for their hunt--including in this book Dane of Earth. Think of a cross between an abducted by aliens fic and "The Most Dangerous Game." Or a pulp fiction Survivors including a bipedal saurian and feline. Only 176 pages, this is a fast-paced, adventure filled story, which no one will mistake for great literature. I don't think it's as good as the better of Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover book...more
Dale Bazan
I read this twice at different times during my adolescence, and I recall it being one of the "best books" at the time. I'm not sure how much I recall, or how it would stand up when read now, I just recall it turning me onto reading and opening up a door the first time I read it. I wasn't really a reader (beyond TinTin and Asterix & Obilisk!) at the time. This, then the Hobbit, then Lion Witch Wardrobe were some of my first books (probably sixth grade??) and launched a great enthusiasm for re...more
Kirsten
Though I am a big fan of MZB, I like her fantasy better than the scifi. This is a very slender, stand-alone book - and it takes half the book to get to the main action. That section (the second half) is somewhat reminiscent of the Hunger Games (though not as good). There are also some hints of old-school misogyny (ah, the 70s!). But overall, it's a pretty good romp.
Surreysmum
[These notes were made in 1984:]. Not a Darkover novel. Dane Marsh (lone wolf Earthman), Dallith (spirituality) and Rianna (sensuality) form a love triangle. The story is about the hunt - pleasantly mythopoeic. Some loony feminist nonsense, but not obtrusive. The 'moral' is the need of mankind for social union - superiority of group action over individual.
Caroline
Fantastic story full of suspense and danger this story tells of an Terran abducted as prey for a hunt with big prizes if he can survive. I must have read this book at least a dozen times and now I am re reading it yet again as I have found a sequel and like to refresh before starting part 2
Chris
I found the idea of this book to be interesting even thought the central character makes you want to kill him. He isn’t quite as annoying as Anita Blake, but then again who is? In some ways, it reminds of me of Spell for Chameleon, at least in terms of the love interests.
Robert
This book was my first salvo into Sci-Fi (or at least the first that I remember choosing for myself), and I have often gone back to it fondly and always enjoyed it. I wish I had a copy. I guess it is time to go and see if I can track one down.
Bryan457
Dane Marsh, adventurer, martial artist, swordsman, is abducted by some alien slavers who sell Marsh to a race who live to hunt intelligent prey. If they survive, they will be set free and rewarded with great riches.
Lindsay
A fun, action-packed, diverting adventure.
Mark
The date I read this book is an estimate. It was one of the first adult novels I read and stands up nicely over time. As swashbuckling sci-fi it's tremendously entertaining and imaginative.
John Barnard
I admit there is an element of nostalgia in my high review here. I read this book when I was a kid and have always loved it. I retread it once every year or two.
Jenna
Great sci-fi read! This was a fun book to enjoy in a day or two that had great characters and a good plot line. If you like far out adventure pick it up!
It was a little thin on plot. Also, the main character's "Woe is me. I've got too many women" melodrama was tiring.
Jerry
Jul 29, 2010 Jerry rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone looking for a light entertaining read..
Shelves: sci-fi
This book stands out as a favorite of mine back in the late 70's.. worth reading if you can find a copy!
Paula
The first marion zimmer bradley I have read. I enjoyed it and will be back for more
Ero
Sort of entertaining. A space-opera version of Battle Royale/the Hunger Games.
Kalyn
Some of her sci-fi which is always fun, very pulp.
Don Simpson
Fun read, but kind of stilted dialogue.
Cherrod
One of my all time favorites.
  • Wolfling
  • Requiem for a Ruler of Worlds (Alacrity FitzHugh & Hobart Floyt, #1)
  • Hestia
  • Diamond Star (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #13)
  • The Last Legends of Earth (Radix, #4)
  • Spinward Fringe Broadcast 7: Framework (Spinward Fringe, #7, Rogue Element, #3)
  • The Albino Knife (Matador, #6)
  • Merlin's Mirror
  • Reunion (Pip & Flinx #8)
  • The Storm Lord (Novels of Vis, #1)
  • Iron Gray Sea (Destroyermen, #7)
  • In Legend Born (Chronicles of Sirkara, #1)
  • Earthman Jack vs. the Ghost Planet
  • The Immortals
  • Medusa: A Tiger by the Tail (The Four Lords of the Diamond, #4)
Marion Eleanor Zimmer Bradley was an American author of fantasy novels such as The Mists of Avalon and the Darkover series, often with a feminist outlook.

Bradley's first published novel-length work was Falcons of Narabedla, first published in the May 1957 issue of Other Worlds. When she was a child, Bradley stated that she enjoyed reading adventure fantasy authors such as Henry Kuttner, Edmond Ham...more
More about Marion Zimmer Bradley...
The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1) The Forest House (Avalon, #2) Lady of Avalon (Avalon, #3) Priestess of Avalon (Avalon, #4) The Firebrand