Start by marking “Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions” as Want to Read:
Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions

4.47  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,458 Ratings  ·  77 Reviews
Originally published in 1952, Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions is the classic book used by AA members and groups around the world. It lays out the principles by which AA members recover and by which the fellowship functions. The basic text clarifies the Steps which constitute the AA way of life and the Traditions, by which AA maintains its unity.
Hardcover, Trade edition, 192 pages
Published February 10th 2002 by Alcoholics Anonymous World Services (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions

A Drunks Tale from a Living Hell to Freedom by Frank K.Alcoholics Anonymous - Big Book by Alcoholics AnonymousTwelve Steps and Twelve Traditions by Alcoholics AnonymousAs Bill Sees It by Alcoholics AnonymousTwenty Four Hours a Day by Anonymous
Best AA & Related Recovery Books
3rd out of 32 books — 36 voters
The Sacred Band by Janet E. MorrisPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenThe Alchemist by Paulo CoelhoThe Giver by Lois LowryThe Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Books that most influenced you
277th out of 407 books — 307 voters

More lists with this book...

Chris Garcia
Aug 08, 2008 Chris Garcia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All of you drunks + everyone else
Beseeched by one of my clients to read it, I've found that this is surely one of the great spiritual texts. I would advise anyone to read it.

It does, however, contain some offensive throwbacks to the mid-twentieth century, when it was written, back when we were all the same, I guess. It's sexist -- all alcoholics are men, it seems, to the dismay of their wives. It's heterosexist (Oh, wait. That's not a throwback.).

Anyway, like the Bible and presumably many sacred texts, you have to ignore the ba
Meen
Jan 23, 2015 Meen rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: People early in recovery (w/caveats!)
I really struggled with how to rate the "12 & 12." I've been sober for over 9 years now, and I stopped being a semi-regular AA probably 5 years ago. (And I was NEVER an "AA Nazi" at all. I never officially did all the Steps, and I'm pretty sure I've never even read the ENTIRE Big Book.) BUT, after I had been sober for 9 months on my own and went to my first meeting out of just a desperation to be around SOMEONE who might understand all the emotions I was going through, it meant so much to be ...more
Cristin
Jul 31, 2007 Cristin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I agree with my wise friend Wendell. This book addresses much more than alcoholism. There is something very simple and clear about the twelve steps and twelve traditions--something that can impart the sort knowledge that is useful to a broad spectrum of folks.

I am fascinated by the way the steps and traditions are arranged. They seem to be constructed in an exceedingly intelligent way-- a way that discourages corruption, greed, gossip...It encourages sensible democracy and economy of thought, f
Sally
Jan 12, 2015 Sally rated it really liked it
This book is well worth keeping in your arsenal along with many other tools to help support your mental and emotional attitude when dealing with addiction or an addict, along with 'The Courage to Change' and the AA's 'Blue Print for Success'.
James
A great and must-read adjunct to the Big Book, Alcoholic Anonymous. Whereas that was written very early in the life of the A.A. movement, when no one had more than a handful of years of experience of sober life, this was written with the benefit of much more insight and spiritual growth. This is a very practical how-to guide to applying the principles of the 12 Steps in one's personal life, and to applying the 12 Traditions to the thinking and decisions of groups. Both have proven themselves as ...more
Holly
Jul 28, 2014 Holly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
foundation of recovery. Love that its on my kindle....
not a huge exciting read, but I certainly have used it recently. It is part of some basic literature that is the foundation for a 12 step recovery program for personal growth, and self accountability. Its primary purpose is to help the person in recovery stay sober, but the 12 steps are so much more than that. They will help you learn about yourself, and grow in ways you would never imagine. The best part is its free!! All that is required is
Steve
Jan 25, 2016 Steve rated it really liked it
Shelves: recovery
I've read this book in meetings and I read it to myself, just to go through it once sequentially in the beginning to help me to understand the recovery program of AA. Only 5-10% of the people who go to meetings end up being sober--which to me is a fantastic success rate, and makes me worry about the problem of addiction. It's not the only group or method of recovery. Each group is an autonomous unit and is self supporting. You can't do studies about it, because it's anonymous, but research has c ...more
Mitch S
Apr 19, 2014 Mitch S rated it really liked it
Helpful to those who have a drinking problem. My biggest issue with this book and the big book (alcoholics anonymous) was the "God Concept". Continually it mentions and thrives on this idea that you are "powerless over alcohol and that your life has become unmanageable." This is the centric theme of the texts but I can not accept it because I take the blame/responsibility of my actions for myself. Step 8 comes back to reality with "make amends with those you have harmed with your addiction" I ca ...more
Tim Franzen
Jan 13, 2008 Tim Franzen rated it it was amazing
These essays where written 15 years after Bill Wilson wrote Alcoholics Anonymous. There's a tremndous amount of insight into human behavior her, truly a treasure trove for anyone interested in the human mind. the essays on the traditions are also an interesting proposal for an anarcistic governing system that actually has proven pretty successful. A system that treasures personal independence, and de-centralized local governing bodies.
Shannon
Jun 12, 2012 Shannon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recovery
Great book. Explains the 12-step process of recovery, step by step. Includes information about the Traditions, or by-laws, of AA, which is how the organization has survived since 1935.
April
Sep 21, 2008 April rated it it was amazing
I live by this book. I use the 11th step prayer every morning to this day. For anyone that has had to walk down the path of Alcohol recovery, this book is a lifesaver!
John Yarbrough
Oct 02, 2012 John Yarbrough rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help, spiritual

great book and good reminders of the purpose of each step and tradition. I know that i'll use this as a reference for the future.
Ann
Jul 03, 2011 Ann rated it it was amazing
Shelves: educational
This book changed my life. I have been sober since 8-12-1985!
I think working the 12 steps are essential to staying sober and living a great life.
Weradi
Feb 24, 2016 Weradi rated it it was amazing
I find this book even more helpful than the Big Book in that it thoroughly, yet simply, explains both the 12 steps and the 12 traditions. We are told that the steps help us get sober and the traditions, if understood and practiced, are what keep us sober and enable us to get along in society and in our interpersonal relationships. Outstanding. One benefits from this book whether alcoholic or merely suffering from the human conditions of life. Better yet, this book does not preach, moralize or ju ...more
Alison
Oct 12, 2015 Alison rated it really liked it
I originally read this book unsure of what it would amount to. It was definitely a difficult read especially compared to the usual books I read. The premise of this book was exactly what the title outlined it wen't into detail about the twelve steps and twelve traditions of Alcoholics Anonymous.To me this book was quite repetitive with in each step and tradition. It also wasn't extremely relatable. Like this excerpt,"How he does cherish the thought that man, risen so majestically from a single c ...more
Patricia Atkinson
Sep 01, 2014 Patricia Atkinson rated it it was amazing
this book goes throught the 12 steps and traditions of a a it also has storys that you can read some groups in a a read this book and asks qestions after as part of the meeting,this book is a must read it helps you understand and lets you know others have been there too.
Heather Key
Aug 02, 2014 Heather Key rated it it was ok
This is just a a book the more clearly explains each step and tradition of the AA 12 steps and traditions. I would say if you are in AA this book would help you better understand why they were created.
David Budlong
A necessity in sobriety

This book saved my life. Putting recovery in a way that is palatable. A must have for anyone in recovery with the 12 steps.
Sheryl
Aug 26, 2014 Sheryl rated it it was amazing
A book to definately read with someone else. Reading this book allowed allows you to see things much clearer. Be ready, be willing and be open once you begin this book.
Michele
Jan 10, 2016 Michele rated it it was ok
I had to read this for class and evaluate whether it was Christian or non-denominational.
Jenny
Jan 22, 2015 Jenny rated it really liked it
If you are living sober and doing it with AA this is the way to do it.
Gary
Jan 18, 2016 Gary rated it it was amazing
Wonderful practical book of spiritual disciplines and recovery.
Heather Hicken
May 09, 2016 Heather Hicken rated it it was amazing
One of my tools in living the good life!
Paula
Oct 26, 2011 Paula is currently reading it
Great read for any alcoholic or anyone working a 12-step program! If you find out you're an alcoholic, you're picked-up for something alcohol related, court-ordered to go to AA-or someone's worried about your drinking-get one! It will explain the 12 suggested steps of the program to you.

And take it with you to the step-meetings. They often read the chapter corresponding to the step discussed from the book. And if you think you might have a problem w/alcohol-but totally not sure-read Step One!
Momowithamic
Jul 12, 2013 Momowithamic rated it it was amazing
I read this to better understand friends and family who struggle with alcholism and addictions. What I found was a very straightforward way of living that is useful for me and I imagine for many others. It is a dated read with sexism and the like, however, given the intent of the message and the times in which it was written not to mention most studies show there are more male than female alcoholics, I did not find it offensive.

I recommend this title.
Kirk
Jan 01, 2011 Kirk rated it it was amazing
What can be said about a book that literally saved my life? Really helps in the understanding of the cornerstones of the recovery process, the steps and traditions. Although there are those that minimize the importance of this particular book in the recovery process, I found it to be very helpful and used it extensively early in my sobriety.
Jim
Jan 03, 2008 Jim rated it it was amazing
This discusses, in detail & order, the 12 steps that a recovering alcoholic/addict must take in order to get their act together. The reasoning behind the steps & traditions are explained. Well worth reading if you are part of any 12 step program. Anyone who isn't would probably be better off devoting their time to the Big Book.
Carla
Sep 27, 2012 Carla rated it liked it
Not the Big Book. Some good & useful stuff, but creates confusion regarding the program of recovery. Dr. Bob urged Bill NOT to publish this. Bill did after Dr Bob's death.
This book was never intended to be a guide to the program of recovery and/or steps. It is a collections of articles, letters and personal opinions.
Jane
Mar 08, 2010 Jane rated it it was amazing
I loved reading this book and understanding the workings behind AA. It teaches about the traditions or guidelines of the organization. I can see the blessings of keeping these traditions in place and it has blessed the organization to thrive over the years to bless so many lives, including my own.
Wendell
Jul 02, 2007 Wendell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
While this has been--and I'm sure will continue to be--a priceless book for recovery, anyone going through rough times can benefit from the wisdom contained herein. My take is that you don't necessarily need to be religious for the "higher power" step(s), but at least *some* form of humility is recommended.
  • One Day at a Time in Al-Anon
  • Codependents' Guide to the Twelve Steps: New Stories
  • Twenty Four Hours a Day
  • Narcotics Anonymous
  • Adult Children of Alcoholics
  • My Name Is Bill: Bill Wilson--His Life and the Creation of Alcoholics Anonymous
  • The Sermon on the Mount: The Key to Success in Life
  • Not God: A History of Alcoholics Anonymous
  • It Will Never Happen to Me!
  • A Gentle Path Through the Twelve Steps: The Classic Guide for All People in the Process of Recovery
  • A Woman's Way through the Twelve Steps
  • The Little Red Book (AA)
  • Waiting: A Nonbeliever's Higher Power
  • A New Pair of Glasses
  • Drop The Rock: Removing Character Defects - Steps Six and Seven

“We have learned that the satisfaction of instincts cannot be the sole aim of our lives.” 33 likes
“We sometimes hurt those we love because they need to be “taught a lesson,” when we really want to punish. We were depressed and complained we felt bad, when in fact we were mainly asking for sympathy and attention. This odd trait of mind and emotion, this perverse wish to hide a bad motive underneath a good one, permeates human affairs from top to bottom. This subtle and elusive kind of self-righteousness can underlie the smallest act or thought. Learning daily to spot, admit, and correct these flaws is the essence of character-building and good living. An honest regret for harms done, a genuine gratitude for blessings received, and a willingness to try for better things tomorrow will be the permanent assets we shall seek.” 19 likes