Start by marking “Going to the Movies: A Personal Journey Through Four Decades of Modern Film” as Want to Read:
Going to the Movies: A Personal Journey Through Four Decades of Modern Film

Going to the Movies: A Personal Journey Through Four Decades of Modern Film

Featuring insights ... analysis ... great films and filmmakers from “the most-sought-after screenwriting teacher in the world” (The Hollywood Reporter).

A life in film. An extraordinary career. An unforgettable story — from noted lecturer, teacher, and bestselling author Syd Field.

What makes a great movie great? ... An actor legendary? ... A screenplay extraordinary or jus
Published October 9th 2001 by Delta (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Going to the Movies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Going to the Movies

Hosam Diab
Mar 10, 2014 Hosam Diab rated it liked it
لطيف كرفقة ممتعة في رحلة صيفية مملة. ربما كان مكمّلاً لكتاب السيناريو الشهير، لكن التعامل معه بنيّة التعلم سيفقدك الكثير من هدفه، فهو في النهاية تجربة صانع سينما عن عشقه للسينما: مذكرات لزمن فات، كما أن تقييماته للأفلام التثويرية الجديدة في عالم السينما مثل "بلب فيكشن" لن يضيف إليك ما تعلمه عنها. نصيحة أن تحتفظ بورقة وتدون عليها الأفلام التي تمركزت عليها الفصول بحيث يتسنى لك مشاهدتها فيما بعد، لأن أفلام عظيمة بالفعل
DeAnna Knippling
Nov 19, 2012 DeAnna Knippling rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I should have started with one of his other books, I thought. The first chapter, on La Grande Illusion, was just lovely, but the book devolved from a personal experience of specific films and how he saw them into a biography, which was not what I expected. Okay, it was a decent biography, but when you're looking for a book on how a screenwriter views movies, and get a subtitle like this, it seemed misleading.
Isobel
Jul 25, 2008 Isobel rated it it was ok
I didn't get very far in this book. The author is so obsessed with proving his own popularity and importance that I was rolling my eyes at every page turn. There is probably a lot of very interesting information somewhere in this book, but it would take a lot of wading through self-indulgent crap to get to it, so I'm not going to bother.
sallie
Mar 12, 2007 sallie rated it liked it
after having benefitted much from syd field's screenwriting book, i was happy to read a more personal account of his love for film and his own journey as a screenwriter.

one of his mentors was the great renoir, son of impressionist painter renoir, a theatre professor at ucla. lovely.
Lauren
Jul 31, 2007 Lauren rated it really liked it
This book was great if you're interested in how to tear apart a film script. It was interesting however, it did make me tear apart scripts from the time I read the book on.
Angie
Jan 03, 2014 Angie added it
Great reading for any movie fan. I wish Syd Field wrote this book when I was in film school. We have watched several of the movies he writes about.
Carlos Boscio
Carlos Boscio rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2014
Beshoy Youssef
Beshoy Youssef rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2016
John  Sullivan
John Sullivan rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2011
Suzie Quint
Suzie Quint rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2011
Clayton Chase
Clayton Chase rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2008
ياسر ثابت
ياسر ثابت rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2013
Iftekhar Kabir
Iftekhar Kabir rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2016
Boris
Boris rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2010
Gayle
Gayle rated it it was ok
Feb 10, 2014
Ryan Rabe
Ryan Rabe rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2016
Herwin Cabasal
Herwin Cabasal rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2016
Lulu
Lulu rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2013
Tanya
Tanya rated it really liked it
May 29, 2012
Pawan
Pawan rated it really liked it
May 05, 2016
Higuffinition
Higuffinition rated it it was ok
Jan 24, 2012
Marc Mulligan
Marc Mulligan rated it it was ok
Aug 28, 2011
Sômolo Silvestre Salvador
Sômolo Silvestre Salvador rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2015
Meryem
Meryem rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2016
Lily
Lily rated it it was ok
May 14, 2010
Ömer Saroğlu
Ömer Saroğlu rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2016
Patrick Olsen
Patrick Olsen rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2017
Chironjib Bordoloi
Chironjib Bordoloi rated it liked it
Nov 17, 2015
Heath
Heath rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2012
Anthony Chambers
Anthony Chambers rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2013
Sydney Alvin Field was an American screenwriting guru who wrote several books on the subject of screenwriting. He also conducted workshops and seminars on the subject of producing salable screenplays. Hollywood film producers have increasingly used his ideas on structure as a guideline to a proposed screenplay's potential.
More about Syd Field...