Start by marking “Going to the Movies: A Personal Journey Through Four Decades of Modern Film” as Want to Read:
Going to the Movies: A Personal Journey Through Four Decades of Modern Film

Going to the Movies: A Personal Journey Through Four Decades of Modern Film

3.11 of 5 stars 3.11  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Featuring insights ... analysis ... great films and filmmakers from “the most-sought-after screenwriting teacher in the world” (The Hollywood Reporter).

A life in film. An extraordinary career. An unforgettable story — from noted lecturer, teacher, and bestselling author Syd Field.

What makes a great movie great?...An actor legendary?...A screenplay extraordinary or just or...more
Published October 9th 2001 by Delta (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Going to the Movies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Going to the Movies

Hosam Diab
لطيف كرفقة ممتعة في رحلة صيفية مملة. ربما كان مكمّلاً لكتاب السيناريو الشهير، لكن التعامل معه بنيّة التعلم سيفقدك الكثير من هدفه، فهو في النهاية تجربة صانع سينما عن عشقه للسينما: مذكرات لزمن فات، كما أن تقييماته للأفلام التثويرية الجديدة في عالم السينما مثل "بلب فيكشن" لن يضيف إليك ما تعلمه عنها. نصيحة أن تحتفظ بورقة وتدون عليها الأفلام التي تمركزت عليها الفصول بحيث يتسنى لك مشاهدتها فيما بعد، لأن أفلام عظيمة بالفعل
Deanna Knippling
I should have started with one of his other books, I thought. The first chapter, on La Grande Illusion, was just lovely, but the book devolved from a personal experience of specific films and how he saw them into a biography, which was not what I expected. Okay, it was a decent biography, but when you're looking for a book on how a screenwriter views movies, and get a subtitle like this, it seemed misleading.
Isobel
I didn't get very far in this book. The author is so obsessed with proving his own popularity and importance that I was rolling my eyes at every page turn. There is probably a lot of very interesting information somewhere in this book, but it would take a lot of wading through self-indulgent crap to get to it, so I'm not going to bother.
Angie
Feb 05, 2014 Angie added it
Great reading for any movie fan. I wish Syd Field wrote this book when I was in film school. We have watched several of the movies he writes about.
sallie
after having benefitted much from syd field's screenwriting book, i was happy to read a more personal account of his love for film and his own journey as a screenwriter.

one of his mentors was the great renoir, son of impressionist painter renoir, a theatre professor at ucla. lovely.
Lauren
This book was great if you're interested in how to tear apart a film script. It was interesting however, it did make me tear apart scripts from the time I read the book on.
Vyom
illustrates what you intuitively know and uses good examples from great films.
Sharon Drapeau
Sharon Drapeau marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Lois
Lois marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Shefali
Shefali marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Azzie Razzie
Azzie Razzie marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Ahmed Salem
Ahmed Salem marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Oleg Shevelyov
Oleg Shevelyov marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
Rachel
Rachel is currently reading it
Mar 29, 2014
Terrin James
Terrin James marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
أحمد مجدي رجب
أحمد مجدي رجب marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2014
Dylan
Dylan marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2014
Ozancan
Ozancan marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2013
Ankisandeep
Ankisandeep is currently reading it
Nov 03, 2013
Emilia Robinson
Emilia Robinson marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Screenplay: The Foundations of Screenwriting The Screenwriter's Workbook The Screenwriter's Problem Solver: How to Recognize, Identify, and Define Screenwriting Problems Four Screenplays: Studies in the American Screenplay The Definitive Guide To Screenwriting