Start by marking “The Book of Funnels” as Want to Read:
The Book of Funnels

The Book of Funnels

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  86 ratings  ·  7 reviews
John Ashbery writes: “Christian Hawkey’s poetry is landscape poetry in the true sense of landscape—not a segment of the Earth’s surface posing for its picture, but an open, undetermined space in which all kinds of crazy mental and physical things are going about their business simultaneously. What emerges is a portrait of a medium like the one we live in, with all its unex ...more
Published October 1st 2004 by Wave Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Funnels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Funnels

Buzz
Mar 22, 2008 Buzz rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
This man is insane but a genius. He visited my poetry class in 2006 and kind of blew my mind. He told this story about how he leaves a dictionary out on his backyard table in brooklyn and he responds to the way the birds peck at words, and watches the way the weather tears at the pages. He went on about this for like 20 minutes.
Mackenzie
Calling Christian Hawkey’s The Book of Funnels “strange” and “beautiful,” as John Ashbery does on the book jacket, is like calling the Artic “chilly” or the speed of light “quick.” Hawkey’s poems evoke a new order of time, space, and reality, yet they try to convince readers that Hawkey’s world exists concurrently with the real world if only we look a little closer. His poems mesh realities by combining images of everyday with images that are bizarre and impossible. Giving his readers a glimpse ...more
Mattilda
This book makes me so grateful for used bookstores -- Green Apple Books in particular -- because I just picked it up randomly and oh my is it gorgeous with such blow-me-away images -- fairy tales clash of civilizations deep breath the end of breath, time, a flashlight, intimacy forget it the sun and the shadow and the moon all at once a wave, waving, nature poetry without nature and the end of the wind the wind the wind give me more!
Zack
Jan 02, 2012 Zack added it
i loved this book. i loved the images. i loved how the way the stanzas looked on the page often mirrored each other in the same poem. i think it is largely about the experience of striving for individuality in a world of conformity. I don't know, maybe you'll think something different. i think it's a good book to read very quickly, then look back on.
Paul Toth
It's almost impossible to describe these poems, but here's the best I can do: Landscapes bleed into emotional states and vice versa. Don't even bother being influenced by this collection; doing so may induce suicidal ideations.
Dawn
the first part which was so great and soaking and the next part which was probably hard coming out but not quite right.
Dana
quick, while we're gods

he's brilliant
Jerrod
Jerrod marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
J.D. Scott
J.D. Scott marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Oblivius-bicycle
Oblivius-bicycle marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Raphael Schnee
Raphael Schnee marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Shelby
Shelby marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
A
A added it
Jan 08, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
May 03, 2013
Aurelio Giardini
Aurelio Giardini marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2012
Chiara Shea
Chiara Shea marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2012
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2012
Tory Selz
Tory Selz marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Ventrakl Citizen Of Sonne from Ort Indigestion and Ulcers (Understanding) Osip Mandelstam: New Translations (Esatern european Poets Series, #13)