Critical Theory Since Plato

Critical Theory Since Plato

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  96 ratings  ·  10 reviews
CRITICAL THEORY SINCE PLATO is a chronologically-arranged anthology that presents a broad survey of the history and development of literary criticism and theory in Western culture. Written by two well-known scholars in the field of literary study, this well-respected text puts an emphasis on the individual contributors to the development of literary criticism, from Plato a...more
Published August 9th 2004 by Cengage Learning (first published January 2nd 1992)

Atra Bou
This book contains essays of great value for those who want to find writers who advocates the same opinions of a certain subject. I enjoyed reading Pope essay and discovering it. Also Oscar Wild's and Blake's
It is a must have for scholars, it serves as a dictionary for me whenever I want to find a writer who shares the same opinion as mine to backup my arguments.
Scott
A fine primer on the ways in which we think critically about literature, starting with Plato's Republic and stopping on the cusp of the contemporary theoretical quagmire. The prose is keen yet dense, and I can't believe I read quite as much of this book as I did.
sologdin
Indispensible for students of literature & literary theory. Designed principally for undergraduates, and providing a broad selection of western literary theory.

Not a substitute for actually reading all of the seminal texts, this volume will certainly fill the need for knowledge of the history of theory.

One of the best individual selections is Mazzoni's reading of Plato, in discussing Dante, regarding the functions of the fantastic and the icastic. The latter concerns the representation of t...more
Joecolelife
Jul 10, 2011 Joecolelife rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Joecolelife by: www.CocoMartini.com
This was a frightening book when I had to read it in my LitTheory class. Now I'm so glad I held on to it. It's in my "desert island books " collection along with the Bible, complete works of Shakespeare and a dictionary. It's the volume Harold Bloom probably wishes he'd put together.

Don't let the vast panorama of ideas intimidate you. This tome is meant to be read a little bit at a time. It's a very "back to basics" experience. These ideas comprise the alchemical components of literary thought....more
Jerrid Wolflick
I am not a great keeper of college textbooks, but this one was different. I was enamored in the first twenty pages and read the entire book even though only parts of it were assigned. It is one of the finest overviews of how critical theory came into being and evolved from the Classical Greeks through Spivak and LaClau. It presents opposing ideas in the field as well as allowing a reader to compare these differing ideas in close proximity.
Stephen
Aug 15, 2008 Stephen marked it as books-interrupted  ·  review of another edition
Obviously, this isn't the kind of book that most people read from cover to cover, and neither did I, but it's a great volume to have around. I have especially appreciated discovering, or just having available, all the stuff in the big middle--between Plato and say, Barthes--which doesn't get taught in many critical theory surveys.
Dusty
Haven't formed much of an opinion about this book except: (1) it's freaking heavy; (2) its introductions to theorists and texts are well-written and informative; and (3) despite its heft and "well-writtenness" it seems to leave out quite a bit. In other words: It's an anthology.
Adam
A great anthology that suggests a plausible trace of thought from Plato through Derrida.
Nate
Interesting, useful... heavy, dense...
Acksar Czarina
Acksar Czarina is currently reading it
Jul 25, 2014
Meagre  Pasado
Meagre Pasado marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Josue Flores
Josue Flores marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Leann
Leann added it
May 20, 2014
Rashida Rose
Rashida Rose marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Damber Kumar
Damber Kumar marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Lily
Lily marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Mónica
Mónica is currently reading it
Apr 25, 2014
Ivan
Ivan marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Lale Faghihi
Lale Faghihi marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Nickwalt-
Nickwalt- marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Jasmin
Jasmin added it
Apr 01, 2014
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Critical Theory Since 1965 The Day the Dogs Talked Truth About Dragons Philosophy of the Literary Symbolic William Blake A Reading Of Shorter Poems