Start by marking “Critical Theory Since Plato” as Want to Read:
Critical Theory Since Plato

Critical Theory Since Plato

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  117 ratings  ·  11 reviews
To serve the growing number of college courses, often required now, on criticism and theory, and to incorporate recent writings, the reader has been expanded and updated from the 1971 and 1992 editions. The selections, many of them excerpts from longer works, are presented chronologically by author.
Published August 1st 2004 by Cengage Learning (first published January 2nd 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Critical Theory Since Plato, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Critical Theory Since Plato

Atra Bou
This book contains essays of great value for those who want to find writers who advocates the same opinions of a certain subject. I enjoyed reading Pope essay and discovering it. Also Oscar Wild's and Blake's
It is a must have for scholars, it serves as a dictionary for me whenever I want to find a writer who shares the same opinion as mine to backup my arguments.
Scott
A fine primer on the ways in which we think critically about literature, starting with Plato's Republic and stopping on the cusp of the contemporary theoretical quagmire. The prose is keen yet dense, and I can't believe I read quite as much of this book as I did.
sologdin
Indispensible for students of literature & literary theory. Designed principally for undergraduates, and providing a broad selection of western literary theory.

Not a substitute for actually reading all of the seminal texts, this volume will certainly fill the need for knowledge of the history of theory.

One of the best individual selections is Mazzoni's reading of Plato, in discussing Dante, regarding the functions of the fantastic and the icastic. The latter concerns the representation of t
Utami Karismansyah
Buku yang keren, referensi paling lengkap yang berisi essay dari era Plato hingga kritikus post-modernisme. Ditunjang dengan jumlah halaman yang nyaris mencapai 1600 halaman, siap-siap berpetualang di dunia sastra dan filsafat :D

Joecolelife
Jul 10, 2011 Joecolelife rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Joecolelife by: www.CocoMartini.com
This was a frightening book when I had to read it in my LitTheory class. Now I'm so glad I held on to it. It's in my "desert island books " collection along with the Bible, complete works of Shakespeare and a dictionary. It's the volume Harold Bloom probably wishes he'd put together.

Don't let the vast panorama of ideas intimidate you. This tome is meant to be read a little bit at a time. It's a very "back to basics" experience. These ideas comprise the alchemical components of literary thought.
Jerrid Wolflick
I am not a great keeper of college textbooks, but this one was different. I was enamored in the first twenty pages and read the entire book even though only parts of it were assigned. It is one of the finest overviews of how critical theory came into being and evolved from the Classical Greeks through Spivak and LaClau. It presents opposing ideas in the field as well as allowing a reader to compare these differing ideas in close proximity.
Stephen
Aug 15, 2008 Stephen marked it as books-interrupted  ·  review of another edition
Obviously, this isn't the kind of book that most people read from cover to cover, and neither did I, but it's a great volume to have around. I have especially appreciated discovering, or just having available, all the stuff in the big middle--between Plato and say, Barthes--which doesn't get taught in many critical theory surveys.
Dusty
Haven't formed much of an opinion about this book except: (1) it's freaking heavy; (2) its introductions to theorists and texts are well-written and informative; and (3) despite its heft and "well-writtenness" it seems to leave out quite a bit. In other words: It's an anthology.
Adam
A great anthology that suggests a plausible trace of thought from Plato through Derrida.
Nate
Interesting, useful... heavy, dense...
Matt Muskovin
Matt Muskovin marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Nuhvee
Nuhvee added it
Aug 13, 2015
Demmy
Demmy marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Pedrø Almeida
Pedrø Almeida marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Mårten Hemström
Mårten Hemström marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Cameron
Cameron marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Ginnie Grant
Ginnie Grant marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Jack DM
Jack DM marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Naazanin
Naazanin marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Age of Reform, 1250-1550: An Intellectual and Religious History of Late Medieval and Reformation Europe
  • The Complete Poems and Major Prose
  • The Enlightenment: The Science of Freedom
  • The Norton Shakespeare, Based on the Oxford Edition: Comedies
  • On Great Writing (On the Sublime)
  • Fish on Friday: Feasting, Fasting, and the Discovery of the New World
  • Key to Yourself: Opening the Door to a Joyful Life from Within
  • The Consumer Society: Myths and Structures
  • Classical Rhetoric for the Modern Student
  • Thinking in Jazz: The Infinite Art of Improvisation
Critical Theory Since 1965 The Day the Dogs Talked Truth About Dragons Philosophy of the Literary Symbolic William Blake A Reading Of Shorter Poems