Maude March on the Run!

Maude March on the Run!

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  229 ratings  ·  40 reviews
The papers call Maude notorious. But 12-year-old Sallie knows her big sister didn't do the things the stories say . . . not on purpose anyway. In fact, she and Maude have made a fresh start and are trying to live on the up-and-up. But just when the girls are settling into their new life, Maude is arrested—and before you can say "jailbreak," the orphaned sisters are back on...more
Published May 13th 2008 by Yearling (first published January 23rd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Maude March on the Run!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maude March on the Run!

Smaileh
Sallie and Maude's safe haven with their Uncle Arlen is not as permanent as they hoped. He receives a telegram from in the Colorado Territory and feels honor bound to help an old friend in trouble. Maude is still working as a waitress and baker at the saloon, Marion is in charge of the livery stable, and Sallie, still dressed as a boy, helps out in the smithy. Things should be all right, but Sallie is uneasy without Uncle Arlen. Turns out she's right--Maude is recognized and arrested, Sallie and...more
Samma
Susan
The second book in the Maude March series steps up the action with the two sisters now living in Independence with their uncle. Maude working at a restuarantr, Sallie at her Uncle's stable, and Marion selling horses. Then Maude is recognized and the trio decides to head west after the Uncle who has gone to the Colorado Territory to help a friend. Once again the girls find them selves in situations where their undeserved reputation proceeds them and gets them into more trouble. And now there are...more
Sharon
Not quite as entertaining as the first in the series, mostly because I really enjoyed the audio narrator on that one and read the actual book in this case. There was certainly a lot of rollicking adventure though, and I do highly recommend it for younger female readers who really don't care about princesses and fairies.
Christina
Recommended for Grades 4 to 8
Sequel to The Misadventures of Maude March

Think you don’t like cowboy stories, that Westerns are only for your grandfather? Think again. This Wild West adventure stars a female teenage outlaw, Maude March, on the run from the Law (accused of a bank robbery and murder), traveling West from Independence, Missouri to Liberty, Kansas, with her younger sister, Sallie, and their friend Marion (who has some secrets of his own). There is hardly a dull moment out on the range...more
Bridget R. Wilson
Maude's re-entrance into regular life is short lived when she's recognized as a wanted criminal and arrested. Sallie couldn't be more thrilled to be back on the trail with her sister and their friend Marion Hardley. Their journey isn't easy. It's all filled with adventure. Will Maude ever be just Maude or will the infamy of "Mad Maude" follow her forever?

What I thought: Another great installment in Maude and Sallie's adventures. Trouble seems to follow them. I continue to enjoy Sallie's frank na...more
Didotwite
Very much like Cushman's historicals there's enough grit and grime to feel real, but aware enough of modern sensibility to make this suitable as a read-aloud even for quite young children.

I felt the multiple Maude's was a missed opportunity; though the point seems clear to me I doubt it would to a child and it seems more like a dropped thread than an subtle treatment of a theme.

Sally's narration is brisk and endearing as always, I liked Maude even better this time around, and I can't wait for a...more
Kathleen
Loved it, just as much as the first one. Maude is a great character, and she really kicks butt. I'd have loved to have been her . . . well, except for the part where she's accidentally branded as a cold-blooded killer and horse thief. A fast-paced, well-written Wild West feminist romp. Kids (especially city kids) may need a lot of help with the background information and some vocabulary.
Lisa
This sequel picks up where the first one leaves off and the plot meanders in much the same way, with the sisters finding themselves in a series of misadventures until they are finally able to reach their destination. The misadeventures though weren't as fun or fresh for me as in the first novel, but it was good to see how the story ends for Sallie and Maude (happy).
Red
Sep 08, 2007 Red rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: girls of any age
Shelves: ya, fun
I love these books! They take place in the pioneer days (mid-1800's) and follow the (mis)adventures of two young sisters (11 & 15) as life happens to them. The books are narrated by the younger sister, who is hooked on dime novels (cowboy adventure stories), and we see how they become wanted by the law and end up on the run. Very family oriented, very, very fun.
Patricia
This was a cute sequel to The Misadventures of Maude March. This was still a good book although it did not have quite the zip of book 1. This still earned four stars to the first book's five stars. I wish there were a book three, but I think this is it.
Johnny Bennett
This adventure has some fun points but has some plodding too. I suppose the desperation of the characters just wasn't as real in this one compared to the first. Maybe like others, a third book will be the best.
Marina
i dont know why but i think i liked this book beter then the first one. it seemed more thought out and well i just thought it was better. all in all i believe this was a pretty ok series that wuldn't hurt to read.
Kelsey Evelyn
Maude is still on the run in this book. It so good it almost makes its way to being almost as good as the first book! I love this story and I'm sure who ever read this book would have to also!
Angelica
This was a very exciting book. It is the second book to the Misadventure of Maude March. it was about maude getting arrested many times and getting out. she ends up living a good life.
Yara
Sallie and Maude are great characters in this western romp sequel, but I would recommend listening to it on CD because the narrator added a lot. (I rarely feel that way, too.)
Paloma
this is the second book in the maude march books. this one is really good also, and the two girls are still on the run but there is a lot more things and excitement.
Sue
This sequel was as delightful as the original. Sallie is a wise narrator with more lessons to learn as she falls into more misadventures with these fun characters.
Tuieone
Linda
I loved this book. Such great characters and wonderful storytelling. I can't wait for my girls to read these books. I hope there is going to be another Maude book !
Beth
We started our evening reading time with this book and then went on to read other boks for the competition. This was just as good as the first one.
Editor
What a splendid romp. A wild west story with a delightful feminist twist. Finally wild west female characters who are not fainters or floosies.
Sally
I actually couldn't get passed the first couple of chapters with this book. It was captivating or very well written in my opinion.
Theresa
One of my kids enjoyed it, but I was really bored by it. Not sure why, the plot was good, the writing was good, just didn't capture me.
Ann
Nearly as good as the first and the ending makes it seems there will be a third book. If there is, I'll happily read it.
Karie
This was a decent sequel, though it kind of makes me wish this was a trilogy, just so the main characters can settle down some.
Alyssa
Another great book in this Maude March series- lots of western fun from gunfights to jailbreaks!
Ina
Sep 03, 2008 Ina rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
This was such fun! I thoroughly enjoyed both of these books. I hope she writes another.
Suzanne
Great romp through the wildwest with girls as the protagonists. Lots of fun to read!
  • The Claim (Boston Jane, #3)
  • Safe in His Arms (Under Texas Stars, #2)
  • Riese: Kingdom Falling
  • The Devil's Paintbox
  • The Legend of Bass Reeves
  • Firehorse
  • The Nazi Invasion, 1944 (I Survived, #9)
  • Strawberry Hill
  • Surrender the Dawn (Surrender to Destiny, #3)
  • Thunder from the Sea
  • Exile (Lady Grace Mysteries, #5)
  • Forged in the Fire (No Shame, No Fear #2)
  • Riding the Flume
  • Prairie River: A Journey of Faith (Prairie River, #1)
  • Standard Hero Behavior
  • Chu Ju's House
  • Hitler's Canary
  • The Trouble with Tuck
Getting Near to Baby The Misadventures of Maude March Not Exactly a Love Story Jake Say Yes

“But past events had impressed uponme how fast things could go wrong, and how different life might be after they did.” 5 likes