Start by marking “Harvey's Hideout” as Want to Read:
Harvey's Hideout

Harvey's Hideout

Lillian Hoban (Illustrator)
School & Library Binding
Published 2008 (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Harvey's Hideout, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harvey's Hideout

Jill Gard
Feb 19, 2009 Jill Gard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my favorite book when I was little. I was so upset when I left it in my desk the last day of first grade and it was thrown away, but I never forgot it. It is the best book for a little girl or boy who has an annoying older sister.
Kelly
Dec 29, 2007 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my, did I love this picture book as a preschooler! Harvey and his sister are muskrats, and the sqaubble like siblings do. Harvey swims away from home everyday to dig himself a clubhouse. He digs a great one, moves in his comic books and is all alone. One days while he's digging a bit he breaks through the wall and sees his sister in a little clubhouse of her own! She's having a tea party with her dolls. The two of them squabble a bit more, then admit they are lonely and want to play together ...more
Josie Lynn
May 07, 2014 Josie Lynn rated it it was amazing
Harvey's Hideout is the first book I remember holding in my hand as a very small, pre-preschool aged child.

It is the charming story of two muskrat siblings, Harvey and Mildred, who are having some "issues" getting along. Harvey is the "stupid, no-good" little brother who annoys his older sister Mildred, who in turn is "mean and rotten." In truth (and as their muskrat father wisely points out) neither is really stupid, no-good, mean or rotten. They just seem that way to each other. Ah...memories
Amy Lou
Mar 18, 2010 Amy Lou rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-lit
My sister and I loved this book...probably because it normalized our "sibling discussions"! We only had one copy and since she had gotten it for a birthday gift I had to relinquish its custody to her. It became one of my first purchases on eBay in the mid 90s. I have a first edition published in 1969 but without the dust jack. I think my sister's edition still has the dust jack. Hmphhh.
Kelley Bennett
Harvey's hideout is another book I order from scholastic books while in second grade. It's a very good illustration of how brothers and sisters are different and alike. The book is about sibling rivalry between big sisters and little brothers which happens in a lot of families. The illustration is not in color.
Jul 14, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that I grew up with and I love sharing the book with my daughter. The first time I read if to her I was surprised by the blatant name calling. I totally don't remember that from when I read it growing up. I've discussed the name calling with my daughter and I'm hope she will remember that part about how name calling isn't nice rather than calling people 'stupid and loudmouthed.' ;)
Rachel Kishbaugh
I could easily relate to this book b/c my brother and I were always arguing a lot. My parents would read this book to us and I can remember making forts and bundles afterwards. We each had our hideouts. I loved that the muskrats could cook in their hideouts. This book was captivating and fun.
Karen Parker
Sep 03, 2016 Karen Parker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Found a copy of this book a few years back and had to hold onto it; such fond childhood memories of having it read to me and getting engrossed in the illustrations and wishing I, too, had a secret hideout. Great children's book.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Two bickering siblings learn that it's better to play together than to play alone. Lillian Hoban's drawings really make this story.
Miriam
May 11, 2010 Miriam rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
Harvey and his sister have no one to play with over summer vacation, but instead of playing together, they quarrel.
Jen
Jan 20, 2010 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OK- It was amazing to me as a kid, and there was no limit to the number of times that I wanted my mother to read it to me. Mom: "Groan, sigh, again?"
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2014
Katie
Katie rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2009
Amy Loomis
Amy Loomis rated it it was amazing
Oct 02, 2014
Dianne
Dianne rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2008
Morgan Steinmetz
Morgan Steinmetz rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2016
Phil Chibas
Phil Chibas rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2016
Judith Johnson
Judith Johnson rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2014
Leslie Cyr
Leslie Cyr rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2013
Nov 06, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-kids
Loved this book when I was a kid.
m
m rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2009
Kim
Kim rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2011
Leigh Anne
Leigh Anne rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2012
Krista
Krista rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2012
Elisabeth
Elisabeth rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2010
Bryon
Feb 27, 2014 Bryon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my absolute favorites when I was a kid.
A
A rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2014
Madeline Silvas
Madeline Silvas rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2014
Katy
Katy rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2013
Lorrie
Lorrie rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2012