Start by marking “Harvey's Hideout” as Want to Read:

Harvey's Hideout

4.45 of 5 stars 4.45  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Lillian Hoban (Illustrator)
School & Library Binding
Published 2008 (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Harvey's Hideout, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harvey's Hideout

Josie Lynn
Harvey's Hideout is the first book I remember holding in my hand a a very small, pre-preschool aged child.

It is the charming story of two muskrat siblings, Harvey and Mildred who are having some "issues" getting along. Harvey is the "stupid, no-good" little brother who annoys his older sister Mildred, who in turn is "mean and rotten." In truth (and as their muskrat father wisely points out) neither is really stupid, no-good, mean or rotten. They just seem that way to each other. Ah...memories o
Jill Gard
This was my favorite book when I was little. I was so upset when I left it in my desk the last day of first grade and it was thrown away, but I never forgot it. It is the best book for a little girl or boy who has an annoying older sister.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Two bickering siblings learn that it's better to play together than to play alone. Lillian Hoban's drawings really make this story.
Kelley Bennett
Harvey's hideout is another book I order from scholastic books while in second grade. It's a very good illustration of how brothers and sisters are different and alike. The book is about sibling rivalry between big sisters and little brothers which happens in a lot of families. The illustration is not in color.
Cyndi
This was one of my favorite books as a child. I still have the original that my parents got me.
Kelly
Oh my, did I love this picture book as a preschooler! Harvey and his sister are muskrats, and the sqaubble like siblings do. Harvey swims away from home everyday to dig himself a clubhouse. He digs a great one, moves in his comic books and is all alone. One days while he's digging a bit he breaks through the wall and sees his sister in a little clubhouse of her own! She's having a tea party with her dolls. The two of them squabble a bit more, then admit they are lonely and want to play together ...more
Bryon
One of my absolute favorites when I was a kid.
This is a book that I grew up with and I love sharing the book with my daughter. The first time I read if to her I was surprised by the blatant name calling. I totally don't remember that from when I read it growing up. I've discussed the name calling with my daughter and I'm hope she will remember that part about how name calling isn't nice rather than calling people 'stupid and loudmouthed.' ;)
Amy Lou
My sister and I loved this book...probably because it normalized our "sibling discussions"! We only had one copy and since she had gotten it for a birthday gift I had to relinquish its custody to her. It became one of my first purchases on eBay in the mid 90s. I have a first edition published in 1969 but without the dust jack. I think my sister's edition still has the dust jack. Hmphhh.
Rachel Kishbaugh
I could easily relate to this book b/c my brother and I were always arguing a lot. My parents would read this book to us and I can remember making forts and bundles afterwards. We each had our hideouts. I loved that the muskrats could cook in their hideouts. This book was captivating and fun.
Jen
OK- It was amazing to me as a kid, and there was no limit to the number of times that I wanted my mother to read it to me. Mom: "Groan, sigh, again?"
Miriam
Harvey and his sister have no one to play with over summer vacation, but instead of playing together, they quarrel.
Loved this book when I was a kid.
Lyndsey
Aaah, happy memories!
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Shannon Clary
Shannon Clary marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Erica
Erica added it
Dec 03, 2014
Steph Crivello
Steph Crivello marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Joanne G.
Joanne G. marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Bread and Jam for Frances Bedtime for Frances A Bargain for Frances Riddley Walker A Baby Sister for Frances