Start by marking “The Eco Chick Guide to Life: How to Be Fabulously Green” as Want to Read:
The Eco Chick Guide to Life: How to Be Fabulously Green

The Eco Chick Guide to Life: How to Be Fabulously Green

3.46  ·  Rating Details  ·  110 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
SAVE THE WORLD IN STYLE!

Lower your carbon footprint—in your favorite pair of stilettos—with THE ECO CHICK GUIDE TO LIFE. Here you'll find hundreds of ideas on how to be ecologically smart and still be stylish and trend-setting. You don't have to sacrifice to go green—you can eat well, dress well, and live well once you learn how to:

Learn where to shop for vintage and recyc
Published August 19th 2008 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published August 18th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Eco Chick Guide to Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Eco Chick Guide to Life

Ellen
Sep 11, 2008 Ellen rated it it was ok
Shelves: pop-culture, eco
Okay, I'm pretty cranky today...but this book really pisses me off. Why do publishers feel the need to make anything directed at women pink and cheesy?

This is a book of smart advice and reasons for going green that makes itself unique by targeting women. Okay, fine, I guess I can see how women would need their own book. I'm all for the divine feminine. But no, this isn't feminine in that menstrual sponge kind of way, its feminine in that "Shop-ping," "CUTE," and "Chick" way. And the worst part
Kate
Feb 08, 2015 Kate rated it it was amazing
I need to turn off my electronics more!! And not buy a blood diamond. Has never been a problem for me thus far in my life tho.....I don't wear real diamonds that much. And maybe consider some cool vegan shoes. Buy more organic (if everyone did that the prices would come down), buy better fish, and invest in glass containers for food (not plastic).

Famous vegetarians: Albert Einstein, Leo Tolstoy, Alice Walker, Jaques Costeau, Rachel Carson, Vincent Van Gogh, Doris Day, Jane Goodall, Martina Narat
Hepburn
Jul 05, 2014 Hepburn rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014_books
I have taken particular care to eat organic food for a couple of years, while I have been unconcerned by living an organic life. Recently I have started all-natural makeup.

This book introduces tons of ways to be eco-friendly regarding our lifestyles such as natural makeup, eco-friendly home, and eco-travel.

One of the suggestions which resonated with me is buying clothes without "dry clean only." Dry cleaning is quite bad for our health, because toxic chemicals are used in dry cleaning.

From now o
Marcie Lovett
Apr 12, 2012 Marcie Lovett rated it it was ok
I guess I'm not the demographic for this book, because I thought it was written in a dopey, hipper-than-thou style. I skipped a lot of text while reading because I thought the content was nonsensical. There is some useful information, but you have to wade through the useless bits to get to it.
Tamara
Gave this one a second try, and the first two chapters do cover topics that most other books avoid, such as whether or not to flush a condom, and green alternatives when Aunt Flo comes to town.

Otherwise, the rest of the chapters are the same old, same old, and don't seem too girl-specific.
Kate
Nov 18, 2008 Kate rated it it was amazing
I love this book. The reason being that there are so many references to websites and places to buy specific green products. It might be a good one to own!

Some of what is in the book is common knowledge, but I did learn some things. Like never buy nonorganic peaches! They are the most tainted of any fruit or veggie. She has lists of the most tainted produce.

Due to the "gross factor" there are some things in the book not worth doing!!! If you read it, you will understand. But I like how the auth
Sherry
May 02, 2009 Sherry rated it did not like it
Shelves: how-to
I skimmed this book more than truly reading and wasn't very impressed. I guess it provides useful suggestions for anyone who has been living under a rock for the past several years, but generally gave info that is common knowledge about lifestyle and environmental impact. Heck, some of the suggestions were plain ridiculous or probably not realistic--e.g., never buying any new clothes and fixing what you have--there is a middle of the road that some of the suggestions miss. Title also ticked me o ...more
Ellis
Nov 05, 2010 Ellis rated it really liked it
I picked this up at a cool used book store in Des Moines a few weeks ago. This is a great handbook that gives tips on how to green everything (from clothes to condoms). Seriously, very thorough. I wish she spent more time on food, but that could add another volume, so that's fine. The best part of this book is that at the end of each chapter is a list of brands that she has tested and researched that she knows are eco friendly. The end of the book has a resource section with brands, websites, an ...more
Chrissy
Apr 06, 2016 Chrissy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Loved it. The book is short and sweet with great points for going green while not going overboard.
Danielle Faucett
Apr 15, 2014 Danielle Faucett rated it really liked it
It was informative as I'm just learning to be more ecological
Krista Bolan
Many of the links are already out of date, which is too bad. Not all of the advice do I agree with, which is frequently the case when you read a lot of these types of books. You find a lot of conflicting info and can quickly learn to sort out exactly how much someone knows about a topic. I felt this author had satisfactory knowledge and she did point me to many new resources for shopping.
Morgan
Jun 03, 2010 Morgan rated it it was amazing
I REALLY REALLY like this book. I am going to buy it. It's not too preachy, she uses evidence in her arguments and you can either skim through it or read it intently. The author provides resources and great how to directions for making things. Lots of easy things you can do to be more eco friendly. the only downfall is that it is American and some of the suggestions aren't available in Canada.
Lindsay
Oct 01, 2013 Lindsay rated it it was amazing
This is a book about ways to be healthier for yourself and the earth while saving money too. It has links for places you can go to to be eco-friendly, and it is giving you simple solutions to annoying problems. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to save the earth or is just looking for a simple solution or cheaper ways to solve problems.
Jillian
Not as good as Gorgeously Green by Uliano, but I found a few helpful hints I hadn't heard before. I would have liked for Vartan to talk about indoor composting more, and I noticed that some of the things were more for women in the suburbs than the city--but overall, pretty easy to use.

P.S. Don't flush your condoms. Thanks Vartan!
Nancy
Sep 19, 2008 Nancy rated it liked it
This book is a good overview of how to live a more green lifestyle. It is a nice reference book including lots of websites that will give you more detail on what she mentions in the book. Now I just have to make a note of all the ones I was interested in so I can get more information.
Jamie
May 21, 2009 Jamie rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2009
Eh. The suggestions tend to be either blatantly obvious or off-the-charts crazy, with not much in between. Just not very interesting. Definitely not worth the $.50 in fines I collected by forgetting to return it on time.
Lolli
Aug 18, 2009 Lolli rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction-read
This is a good book & has a lot of suggestions for being eco-friendly. Some parts of the book are a smooth read, and other parts are a little tedious to read. Overall a good book with great ideas & a lot of information.
Caitlin
Apr 02, 2012 Caitlin rated it it was amazing
The book was a very quick read, but it gave me lots of practical tips on how to live green day-to-day.
I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who is interested in leading a greener lifestyle!
Nicole
Aug 20, 2009 Nicole rated it really liked it
This seems like an excellent book. It would be something I'd like to sit-down and go through at a later time. But even just flipping through will garner some fascinating and useful information.
Amy Chan
Jul 20, 2013 Amy Chan rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. Love the variety of information and the recommendation of products and company. I am inspired to follow her blog and twitter to keep updated on eco lifestyle.
McKenna
Jun 24, 2015 McKenna rated it liked it
A good intro. to eco-friendly living. Doesn't have many sources; some endnotes would have been nice. It works well as a jumping off point, though.
Kerry
Jan 06, 2012 Kerry rated it liked it
Shelves: lifestyle
I found some good information in here about homemade cleaners and avoiding toxins. I didn't think the cosmetics section was very current though.
Amanda
Mar 27, 2009 Amanda rated it really liked it
This book is great! Recipes for making your own cleaning products, and great, useful ideas of how to live more green in your day to day life.
Ursula
Oct 30, 2008 Ursula rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
cute little book with some good ideas. if you aren't looking for something terribly in depth about living green, this is a good choice.
Laurie
Dec 19, 2008 Laurie rated it it was amazing
I liked all of the practical, healthy and world changing advice in this book!
Tracy
Dec 05, 2008 Tracy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Excellent resource for environmentally minded gals.
Jen McConnell
Dec 06, 2008 Jen McConnell rated it liked it
Good tips for living green easily and cheaply.
Marek Gniwecki
Marek Gniwecki marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Catherine Q
Catherine Q is currently reading it
Apr 13, 2016
jeannie geiger
jeannie geiger marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
  • GREEN CLEAN: The Environmentally Sound Guide to Cleaning Your Home
  • Don't Throw It, Grow It!: 68 Windowsill Plants From Kitchen Scraps
  • Be CentsAble: How to Cut Your Household Budget in Half
  • Green This!: Greening Your Cleaning (Green This, #1)
  • Mrs. Wheelbarrow's Practical Pantry: Recipes and Techniques for Year-Round Preserving
  • How Your House Works: A Visual Guide to Understanding & Maintaining Your Home
  • EcoThrifty: Cheaper, Greener Choices for a Happier, Healthier Life
  • The Small House Book
  • From Seed to Skillet: A Guide to Growing, Tending, Harvesting, and Cooking Up Fresh, Healthy Food to Share with People You Love
  • Compost: The natural way to make food for your garden
  • Garden Anywhere: How to grow gorgeous container gardens, herb gardens, kitchen gardens, and more, without spending a fortune
  • Car Country: An Environmental History
  • Wake Up and Smell the Planet: The Non-Pompous, Non-Preachy Grist Guide to Greening Your Day
  • Shift Your Habit: Easy Ways to Save Money, Simplify Your Life, and Save the Planet
  • A Little Piece of Earth: How to Grow Your Own Food in Small Spaces