Wonderful Alexander and the Catwings (Catwings, #3)

Wonderful Alexander and the Catwings (Catwings #3)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  755 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Now available individually in new digest sized paperback editions, the first four books in Le Guin's magical series chronicle four young cats with wings who leave the city slums in search of a safe place to live.
Published May 1st 2003 by Scholastic (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Wonderful Alexander and the Catwings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wonderful Alexander and the Catwings

Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteMy First Travel Angelic Airline Adventures by Anna OthitisLittle House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls WilderLittle House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderAmelia Bedelia by Peggy Parish
Books for seven-year-olds
115th out of 307 books — 142 voters
The Case of Jack the Nipper by H.L.  StephensThe Case of Jack the Nipper by H.L.  StephensThe Cat Who Came for Christmas by Cleveland AmoryHappy Birthday, Bad Kitty by Nick BruelThe Case of the Wayward Fae by H.L.  Stephens
Best Cat Books for Young Readers
6th out of 57 books — 17 voters

More lists with this book...

Sydney
Jun 11, 2014 Sydney rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Little animal lovers
I read this series when I was really little. But I absolutely loved cats back then (well, I still do!) and for me this was just about the best series ever. If I looked back and read it now, I'd probably finish it in 20 minutes and think it was pretty boring. But if you know someone who is just beginning to read short chapter books and they love animals, give them a book from this series and they will just eat it up! ;)
Logan
We read this when Logan was 4 and we'd read a couple of the other Catwings books, but this one taught me that I need to pre-read books even if I think I know the author and her style. The young cat Jane has had a trauma so terrifying that it causes her to become mute except to say "me," and when she's scared, "hate!" My son was (and still is) very tenderhearted and easily worried. I tried to edit as I read, but it was rather difficult. In the end, we had a long talk about what hate is, why rats...more
Yumi Learner
I finished reading "Catwings collection" yesterday. They are my second to fifth books to read in English in this year. The books have four volumes. Each title is " Catwings", " Catwings Return", " Wonderful Alexander And The Catwings" and " Jane On Her Own". I figured out " Catwings" first at a book store. I turned some pages, and I loved the illustration at first sight. Those were awesome! I bought first book and read it. Since the book was written for kids, it was easy to understand. In additi...more
Austen to Zafón
I was reading this series to my 4-year-old son and he really enjoyed the first couple, but this one taught me that I need to pre-read books even if I think I know the author and her style. The young cat Jane has had a trauma so terrifying that it causes her to become mute except to say "me," and when she's scared, "hate!" My son was (and still is) very tenderhearted and easily worried. I tried to edit as I read, but it was rather difficult. In the end, we had a long talk about what hate is, why...more
Tatiana
The thing I love most about Alexander is his confidence. He reminds me of Brando. When Brando was about 4 weeks old, I sat and petted him and told him several episodes from the long saga of Wonderful Brando the most excellent heroic kitten. He listened intently and I believe he understood and believed me. Certainly he was always brave and confident, as Alexander was (even though some pretty scary things happened to him). (It's of course quite brave to be flinching a bit on the inside as you conf...more
Sarah Sammis
Alexander of Wonderful Alexander and the Catwings by Ursula K. Le Guin, is a young tom, a completely ordinary cat with a wanderlust. He grows up believing that the world ends at the gate as it's the farthest he can see from the window.

As so many young cats do, Alexander finds his way outside and begins to explore. Along the way he's nearly run over by a truck and is scared up a tree. It is while he's up the tree that he's befriended by the Catwings.

Alexander poses an interesting problem for the...more
Shawna
Dec 03, 2007 Shawna rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 3rd-4th
I really don't understand this book. I am the type of person that reads to get something out of the book. When I was done reading this I was left with the question "yeah...and?" i probably wouldn't use this in my classroom but if I had to I would use it when learning the difference between realistic fiction and fantasy.

After more thought I have decided that I still didn't like the book but I find that a story where a cat who gets lost and saved by a cat with wings can instill creativity in my st...more
Audrey H
Alexander (who wasn't scared of anything) is a young kitten that wants to explore the world and see what he could find. So he set off early one morning and he always thought that the fence was the end of the world. So he slipped through the fence and went to go see what was on the other side of the fence and he slipped through another fence that led to the street and he got past the street (nearly getting run over by 2 trucks) and 2 hounds were trying to trap him but he climbed up the tallest tr...more
Donna Wilson
This is a great little book for kids. I thought the illustrations were beautiful.
Bee
In the immortal words of my 7 year old: "It was AMAZNG!"
Roberta
This third book in Le Guin's Catwings series features "Wonderful Alexander," a sensitive male cat who leaves the farm on which all the catwings are now living to explore the world beyond. He gets stuck in a tree and plagued by an owl who is curious what kind of bird he is, and he helps Jane, his baby sister, regain her ability to talk. The drawing of him comforting her as she eventually relates what she has been afraid of is my favorite in the book. Reading level--gr. 2-4--enjoyment by cat-lover...more
Skylar Burris
My daughter likes this series. She was displeased with the ending of this one, and insisted that I had not read the entire book to her and that surely there must be something more. It did seem to just end as though it were not even the end of a chapter but the end of a sentence somewhere in the middle of a chapter. I'm not in love with this series, but it's better written than many my daughter has wanted me to read, and it does clearly appeal to young ones (4-8).
Wendy ~M/M Junkie~
Alexander Furby is a brave kitten and one day he wanders out on his own. He gets stuck in a tree and is too afraid to climb down. Jane, one of the Catwings, finds him and helps him down. She has him follow her to her home.
This was a very cute story with loveable characters. My son and I read it together and we both enjoyed it. I am looking forward to reading book four as well. I would recomend this title and the ones before it in the series.
Amy
3rd in a series. Bea says she liked it pretty good but the fact that Alexander decided to run away was stressful because she doesn't like it when cats get lost. She also feels that the story would have been better if the author would have taken the time to write more about it instead of making the book be so short.

We think Alexander seems very similar to our cat Otto and so we love him more for that :-)
Elizabeth Periale

In Alexander the Wonderful and the Catwings a ginger kitten named Alexander gets lost in the woods on a winter's day — a terrifying situation for a little cat. Luckily he also meets one of the Catwings, and his feline life will never be the same.
Christopher
Alexander is a self-centered, privileged, egotistical, overconfident little schmuck. In other words, a cat.

He sees himself as wonderful and takes praise as his simple due.

The amazing thing is that this is just the confidence that someone needs to help scarred, traumatized Jane to recover her voice.
Dolly
Feb 11, 2011 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We've really enjoyed all the stories in the Catwings series. This was an interesting tale that introduces a new character, named Alexander. The stories are sweet and are a great way to introduce children to the fantasy genre. And the illustrations are so expressive - very enchanting!
Kristy Powers
These books are written at an appropriate level for my four-year-old, but with a story a little more complex than many children's books. My son understood the story and we had a good talk about it when we finished. It's four chapters long, a good quick length for his age.
Vicky
I literally loved the Catwings books to death when I was growing up, out of the three books I had only one is still alive. They're fun, whimsical adventures for young kids just learning to read.

My future children will definitely have a set of these books on their shelves!
Jm Teeri
My 9-year old loved the story. She has dyslexia and enjoys short books with straight-forward language. Imaginative, heart-warming book. I wouldn't recommend this for kids younger than 2nd or 3rd graders, but it's great reading for the kids who are ready for the content.
Nikki
Wonderful Alexander and the Catwings adds another cat (without wings) to the gang. He also teaches Jane, the youngest Catwing, to talk. He's a fun character -- overconfident, gets a bit of a comedown (literally, actually -- Jane has to help him climb down a tree).
jacky
One of the first chapter books I read to Natalie at the suggestion of our story time librarian. We both enjoyed the series, even though we read it backwards by accident by starting with this one. Cats with wings is a fun idea.
Laura5
Jul 08, 2011 Laura5 rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young cat lovers
This series is perfect to read aloud with my 5 yr old - who loves cats. Each book in the series is only 4-5 chapters, they have interesting vocabulary, and a more complex writing style than many early chapter books written today.
Ruth
Another cute tale following on from Catwings. The only problem I have is with the non-matching versions of how Jane was found, in an attic? before or after the building was demolished? A little annoying, but otherwise lovely!
Patricia
Nov 21, 2008 Patricia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Cat lovers of all ages!
Shelves: kids
Found this one first and now I'm reading the series. The little orange "normal" kitten in this one reminds me, in color, attitude and name, of my roommate's cat when I lived in Cambridge many years ago.
Julie
Apr 11, 2008 Julie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: cat lovers, kids in general
Marvelous early-level chapter book about cats with wings! These Catwings books are simply wonderful, with great stories that flow smoothly, and very detailed illustrations.
Catherine Woodman
Alexander is an ordinary cat who gets stuck up in a tree. One of the catwings helps him find his way down, and he helps her to start getting over her Rat PTSD.
Kimberly
Once again, #2 loved this book. He enjoyed the introduction of a new cat without wings and how the catwings found him. What a great series for young children!
  • Elmer and the Dragon (My Father's Dragon, #2)
  • Oscar, Cat-About-Town
  • Koko's Kitten
  • The Golden Wasp (The Secrets of Droon, #8)
  • Return to Howliday Inn (Bunnicula, #5)
  • Cookie's Week
  • Sir Lancelot, Where Are You? (Dragon Slayers' Academy, #6)
  • The Battle for the Castle (The Castle in the Attic, #2)
  • The Pizza Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #33)
  • Masquerade
  • The Cats of Roxville Station
  • Stanley and the Magic Lamp (Flat Stanley, #2)
  • Urchin and the Heartstone (The Mistmantle Chronicles, #2)
  • Martin's Mice
  • Queen Clarion's Secret (Tales of Pixie Hollow, #16)
  • Anno's Counting Book
  • Toy Dance Party (Toys #2)
  • If Not for the Cat
As of 2013, Ursula K. Le Guin has published twenty-two novels, eleven volumes of short stories, four collections of essays, twelve books for children, six volumes of poetry and four of translation, and has received many awards: Hugo, Nebula, National Book Award, PEN-Malamud, etc. Her recent publications include the novel Lavinia, an essay collection, Cheek by Jowl, and The Wild Girls. Forthcoming...more
More about Ursula K. Le Guin...
A Wizard of Earthsea (Earthsea Cycle, #1) The Tombs of Atuan (Earthsea Cycle, #2) The Farthest Shore (Earthsea Cycle, #3) The Left Hand of Darkness (Hainish Cycle, #4) The Dispossessed (Hainish Cycle, #5)