Start by marking “Wolf's Coming! (Carolrhoda Picture Books)” as Want to Read:
Wolf's Coming! (Carolrhoda Picture Books)

Wolf's Coming! (Carolrhoda Picture Books)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  242 ratings  ·  71 reviews

Wolf's Coming

All of the animals in the forest go into hiding because the wolf is coming, but why they are hiding is the big surprise. Author: Joe Kulka Reading Level: Ages 4-8 Format: 32 pages, Hardcover Publisher: Carolrhoda Books (January 10, 2007)

Library, 32 pages
Published January 10th 2007 by Carolrhoda Books (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Wolf's Coming!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wolf's Coming!

Fishing Into Potato Salad by Othen Donald Dale CummingsTurtle Wish by Murielle CyrFetch by Adam Glendon SidwellWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakHow I Became a Pirate by Melinda Long
Boy Friendly Picture Books
90th out of 105 books — 63 voters
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Best Picture Books
444th out of 1,187 books — 934 voters

More lists with this book...

Alice
4.75 stars I was a little worried about this book. ON the front page you see all these animals with really worried looks on their face, and a sinister looking wolf lurking behind the curtain. I was thinking this was a bullying book or how to deal with a bully or making a bully your friend.

This books is a very worn library book...in fact this book has a quarter of one page missing..so in my world... that is a GOOD sign that this is a well loved book!!

At the second to last page it gave me a HU...more
Rebecca
The story builds mounds of suspense while everyone is running to hide from the wolf. You gotta read this story with expression. I recommend this book for 1st-4th grades.
Rheta Thola
This book seems scary until you read the ending. Good illustrations. Great ending for kids(especially after having a series of birthdays).
Nancy O'Toole
Rosita
This is not a red riding hood story. The wolf had roar and the forest animals were running to hide inside a tree. The wolf was looking for them. The rabbit pull-dowm the shade and the pig turn off the lamp, so the wolf can't see us at all. All the forest animals need to hush, hush now. Because the wolf is here. the wolf enter the tree house with his worry eyes so he peaked inside. Everyone shouted "SURPRISE" to the wolf. It was the wolf's surprise birthday party. Everyone was laughing have so mu...more
Holly Crepps
"Wolf's Coming" is a suspensful story about a wolf who is making his way through the woods. All of the other animals start hiding so that wolf won't see them. All of the time, the audience thinks that the wolf is out to get everyone, but the surprise ending makes the story exciting to read. I enjoy reading this book aloud because it gives the reader a chance to change their voice according to the tone of the book. The illustrations in the book follow this same pattern. When the story is suspensf...more
Allison Page
This is a story about the animals in the forest running home because Wolf is coming! We see the animals run home and hid while the wolf follows them with hunger in his eyes. This story has a shocking ending that all readers will enjoy!

This story is a fun read aloud that children will enjoy. This story is fun for children to predict.
Lauren Burrell
This book is about a wolf that is coming into a town. Through out the story everyone is running and hiding from the wolf making the reader think that they are scared of the wolf. in the end however we realize that this is a friendly wolf and the only reason the people were hiding is because it is the wolf's birthday and they are trying to surprise him. This is a fun book that i would recommend for young children probably preschool to 1st grade. I picked this book as my read aloud because its a f...more
Magpie67
A funny look at the big bad wolf as his friends plan a surprise party for him. Cute illustrations with all the furry friends of the forest looking scared like the big bad wolf might eat them. Just not super funny...
Christopher Skelskey
This book does a great job of connecting to the Three Little Pigs right from the cover. The kids start out to believe that he wants to eat the animals. The suspense builds up as you read on and then there is a great surprise at the end. Such a fun read for a read aloud.
Jill
So creative! At first, this book seems like a traditional big, bad wolf tale, but in the end, the animals throw a surprise party for the wolf! Great story, interesting illustrations. This would make a great read-aloud.
Marcie
Apr 28, 2014 Marcie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Marcie by: christopher skelskey
Cute version of 3 little pigs with a clever surprise ending.
Avigail
Scary looking but definitely a very nice story...
Heather
A fun surprise at the end!
Val
Feb 09, 2014 Val marked it as buy-for-maggie
Wanda Gag Read-aloud
Brandi
A fun rhyming picture book with good illustrations that has a playful twist.
Liz
A really fun, thoroughly unconventional children's book! Cute animals run around, caught up in a frenzy of hiding because "Wolf's coming!" Dark colors with excellent lighting enhances the mood here...at the end we find out that they're hiding in order to surprise Wolf for his birthday. There is something very satisfying about that page turn where all the critters are at the party, brightly lit, and Wolf is surprised. Kids will love it!
Jody
Good story time book. I read the beginning really slow and spooky to give the kids a sense of dreariness and doom, but it doesn't end up that way at all. Be sure to ask the kids at the end if they knew what was going to happen at the end. I got a lot of "Yeah! Uh-huhs!" The illustrations are good-they reminded me of Looney Tunes, but I have to question why the wolf is wearing a business suit.
Kim Norman
An absolutely brilliant premise for a book: a bit of shivery suspense, (just right for younger children) but a happy ending that makes the reader laugh with surprise. With the author's permission, I use this book as a reader's theater piece during school visits. Students always ask to perform it more than once.
Claire Freeman
This book is a great story for prediction in the classroom. There are subtle hints throughout the book that can lead the reader in the right direction, but the ending will most likely surprise everyone. With the detailed pictures and great story line, this book is bound to keep any child's attention.
Kelly
What a charming story! I loved the feeling of suspense throughout the book, and I enjoyed looking for the blue balloon in each illustration. That one little clue provided foreshadowing for what was to come. It is easy to see why this book won the 2009-10 South Carolina Picture Book Award.
Anna
I read this book to some preschool children for story time and they loved it! It starts off with the wolf and it's a little dark and scary until the surprise at the end. It's such a fun book I got nervous with the children and I loved seeing their surprised faces when we got to the last page.
Andrea
I loved this book. I chose it for my library activity to illustrate the idea that you can't judge a book by its cover. I am impressed with the Author/Illustrator who not only did a fantastic job on the illustrations and poetry in the book, but also COMMENTED ON MY library blog! Cool.
Michelle Miller
This book had an element of surprise to it, which I really enjoyed. By looking at the cover, I was sure the wolf was going to eat the pigs, but then a surprise ending happened. This book would be great to use to show students the many different versions of The Three Pigs.
Angie
I love the pictures in this book. First off the wolf in this book is wearing a suit. 2nd it seems like a version of the 3 little pigs but it isn't and there is a suprise at the end of the book. The cover may give you that impression that its about the 2 little pigs but its not.
Roy
Cute twist at the end, and I'll say no more so not to spoil it for you. Wolf's Coming is like Hitchcock for toddlers who come in with expectations created by The Three Little Pigs, Little Red Riding Hood, and other wolf as villain tales.
Mandy
(3.5 stars)

Everyone hurry! It's time to hide because Wolf is coming closer and closer.

Young readers who want to be both spooked and scared may enjoy this book that accomplishes both with rhyming text and illustrations.
Susan
Love this one - I always use it for my birthday storytime and have read it with a variety of ages. You can really adjust the level of scariness depending on how you read it. Carrot pizza! Look for the blue balloon and pet spider!
Alia
Kids will like the twist at the end. However, the wolf is really scary looking in some of the illustrations. So while the twist really might appeal more to the preschool crowd, it's not really for the faint hearted young-uns.
Roben
Another story hour favorite! The kids in the group were two - five years old. I did hear one "I don't like that wolf!" but we kept the story going and they all liked the way the story ended. Highly recommended!
  • The Terrible Plop
  • The Foggy, Foggy Forest
  • Rubia and the Three Osos
  • Let's Play In The Forest While The Wolf Is Not Around
  • One-Dog Canoe
  • Ready for Anything!
  • Sleep, Big Bear, Sleep!
  • The Easter Bunny's Assistant
  • The Super Hungry Dinosaur
  • Too Tall Houses
  • Happy Birthday Hamster
  • Hungry Hen
My Crocodile Does Not Bite Vacation's Over!: Return of the Dinosaurs The Rope Wolf's Coming Christmas Coal Man