Cooking with All Things Trader Joe's

Cooking with All Things Trader Joe's

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Love Trader Joe's? This new independent cookbook features recipes that use ingredients all from Trader Joe's. By combining Trader Joe's unique products with fresh ingredients, Deana and Wona create clever shortcuts to quick and easy gourmet meals that are delicious and exciting. The recipes in this book treat Trader Joe's like a "prep kitchen"--using the great selection of...more
Published June 1st 2008 by Brown Bag Publishers (first published December 2007)

Margie
I like the idea more than I like the book itself. Because Trader Joe's is the home of prepackaged, quasi-pre-prepared food, this is not so much a cookbook as a bunch of ideas about how to present the food. There are a few dishes that look really creative (there's a saag lasagna that looks intriguing), but some of them seem like little more than a list of foods that you can serve with whatever it is you bought at TJ's (hummus, for example - serve it with pita crisps! and red pepper strips!).

It's...more
Farnoosh Brock
Deana Gunn is the co-author of two books, Cooking with All Things Trader Joe’s, the main cookbook and The Trader Joe’s Companion – A Portable Cookbook, for carrying with you to the store. She is also my cousin and my friend. Yet it was more than a year after I knew about her books before getting my own copies, and now I wish I had not waited so long. With all the cookbooks we have, I did not think we need yet another one – but there was often the frantic rush to 3 or 4 different stores to pull t...more
Alan Matsumoto
Very easy recipes drawn from ingredients found entirely in Trader Joe's stores. I've made two recipes from the book (pasta alla checca and eggplant parmesan pasta) and they tasted great and were super easy to put together. I also appreciated that they had photos to accompany almost every dish. I like to see what I'm going to cook.
Allison
Feb 11, 2010 Allison marked it as to-read
hoooooly crap! the library has this one, and I am 3rd in the queue! how to make the most of my trader joe's lifestyle, which I thought was already pretty good without the book!
Colleen
I was a bit underwhelmed with this cookbook because I didn't find a lot of items that sounded appetizing. That's probably just my personal dislike of certain foods that permeated a lot of the recipes. Someone less picky would probably find this book a bounty. Especially given that it contains approximate 120 recipes -- so there are plenty of recipes from which to choose. The selection is varied too: soups, salads, appetizers, side dishes, desserts, drinks, light meals, and family meals.

Many of t...more
Caitlin
Jan 06, 2011 Caitlin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Trader Joe's shoppers
Recommended to Caitlin by: Mom
Shelves: food
Okay, I didn't actually READ this cookbook, but I want to recommend it to those who shop regularly at Trader Joe's. It has quick, easy, week-night kind of recipes and some excellent ideas for things to do with TJ's products. I'm a pretty advanced cook, but don't always have the inspiration to pull multiple TJ's semi-prepared products together into something more interesting than the obvious. This will definitely improve the variety of my basic dinner menu rotation. So far the recipes I've tried...more
Linda
Jan 08, 2011 Linda rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Trader Joe's fans
Shelves: cookbooks
I ended up buying this after checking it out from the library. Everything I've tried so far has been delicious: the almond pudding, persian green beans, updated green bean casserole, pesto gazpacho, muffaletta. I've also used it for inspiration, making my own version of italian wedding soup, green garbanzo salad, and pork enchiladas-- which became pork tostadas, really. Note- I'm too lazy to go find the book and get the recipe titles correct.
Katie
I love going to Trader Joe's so when this book came in the new books at the library I immediately checked it out. I made the totasta recipe and they were excellent. I made some others and they were good too.

My only concern is being able to find all the ingredients at my local Trader Joe's

I think I will ask one of my sisters to give it to me for Christmas.
Margee
These recipes are handy if you routinely buy from Trader Joe's, though much of what the stores offer is gourmet-style convenience food for those times when you'd rather *not* cook, so the value of the recipes seems marginal. The book's true worth probably lies in menu-planning--a good 'idea' book.
Don
Two friends share their recipes for quick gourmet meals using ingredients found at Trader Joe’s. Included are some appetizers and other dishes that would be great for holiday entertaining. Keep up with new recipes and ideas at the book’s website, blog, and Facebook page.
Katie
LOVE LOVE LOVE this cook book! I am just starting to cook more and this has been really helpful with guiding me since everything is simple and everything I make is delicious! Checked it out from my local library, and loved it sooo much that I just bought a copy for myself.
Juliet
Seemed like a good idea...but it feels like the ideas are a little TOO simple to have warranted a cookbook. There are a few more complex recipes (with ingredient lists to match), but most are just variations of things you could probably figure out on your own.
Janet
My eyes perked up when I saw this in the library, but honestly, there's nothing perky in here. If I'm going to purchase TJs products, I'm either going to use them as is, or use them creatively myself, and not turn to a recipe to figure out what to do with them.
Jane Smith
Great cookbook. This one doesn't leave our kitchen counter. The ingredients are easy to find and the recipes are formatted very clearly. Black Bean Soup and Stuffed Peppers and the chocolate mousse are my favorites.
Jane Smith
Courtney
This book is interesting and gave me a few new ideas on how to cook with Trader Joe's foods. Nothing too earth-shattering but I did appreciate that EVERY recipe had a picture! Wish every cook book was that way.
Stephanie
This is a brilliant idea, and even though I sometimes feel like I cook with all things Trader Joe’s, I think I could expand my repertoire with this book. They don’t sell the book at Trader Joe’s – too bad!
Diane
Made the Chipolte Chili last night and it was Very Good! Definitely will become one of our preferred cookbooks, especially since we shop Trader Joe's every week!
Maggie
Unfortunately, I have heard that the inventory turns over so much at TJ that a lot of the recipes in this book are now obsolete. Boo!
Hank
The TJ's fanatic in me totally approves, especially given that the authors are also TJ's fanatics. And no, they're not getting paid by TJ.
Shazia
Jan 17, 2010 Shazia rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Jane Gov
The recipes are so easy. I will be trying some of them and will also try to buy my own copy of this book.
Lori
Mar 09, 2010 Lori marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Trader Joe's ROCKS so this looks like a book I have to read. And I love to cook too!
Maryanne
Quick, easy, yummy recipes using ingredients from T.J.'s
Nothing new here . . . just a lot of cardboard packaging.
Miss Mouse
Some neat ideas.
Nicole
It looks good but their rescipes are not to my liking but other people would like it.
Took with me to Tday dinner so the relatives who cook could look at it, we all agreed the photos make the receipes look good. Can't wait for TJs to open here. I might copy a few pages to see if I can make the dishes. Not finished wishing with it, kind of like the sears catalog when I was a kid. Today, 24 Nov 12, I marked the pages I will copy, to see if I can make a receipe come out like the photo. I'm turning the book in tomorrow, if the few cooking attempts turn out successful I may have to le...more
Sharon
This is great easy cookbook. The recipes all include ingredients from Trader Joe products. Many of them are already prepackaged items that are combined or have additional ingredients added. The pictures of the recipes are very good too.
Michelle
Easy to follow and delicious ways to prepare all sorts of snacks, meals, and treats, I use it all the time!
Celeste Nicole
Great quick ideas! I tend to over complicate meals while my quest just want simple. So this book is perfect.
  • Pack a Lunch! Cooking with Trader Joe's Cookbook
  • Cooking with Trader Joe's Cookbook Easy Lunch Boxes
  • The Whole Foods Market Cookbook: A Guide to Natural Foods with 350 Recipes
  • The Lemonade Cookbook: Southern California Comfort Food from L.A.'s Favorite Modern Cafeteria
  • The Breakfast Book
  • How to Cook Without a Book: Recipes and Techniques Every Cook Should Know by Heart
  • The Best Cookbook Ever
  • Once-A-Month Cooking: A Proven System for Spending Less Time in the Kitchen and Enjoying Delicious, Homemade Meals Every Day
  • Fix-It and Forget-It Recipes for Entertaining: Slow Cooker Favorites for All the Year Round
  • A Sweet Taste of History: More than 100 Elegant Dessert Recipes from America's Earliest Days
  • Best Recipes from the Backs of Boxes, Bottles, Cans, and Jars
  • The Best of Cooking Light: Over 500 of Our All-Time Greatest Recipes
  • Even More Top Secret Recipes: More Amazing Kitchen Clones of America's Favorite Brand-Name Foods
  • The Best 30-minute Recipe: A Best Recipe Classic (Best Recipe Series)
  • Yellow Rose Recipes
  • Gourmet Today: More than 1000 All-New Recipes for the Contemporary Kitchen
  • The Classic Italian Cook Book: The Art of Italian Cooking and the Italian Art of Eating
  • The Craft of Baking: Cakes, Cookies, and Other Sweets with Ideas for Inventing Your Own
Deana Gunn holds a BS from MIT and a PhD from Northwestern University, both degrees in electrical engineering. She later gave herself an honorary degree in foodie-ism. Deana discovered Trader Joe's when she moved to California in 1997 and shopped at the very first Trader Joe's during her years living in Pasadena.

Through necessity, as her life became more hectic juggling kids and full-time jobs, s

More about Deana Gunn...
Cooking With Trader Joe's Cookbook: Dinner's Done! The Trader Joe's Companion: A Portable Cookbook Cooking with Trader Joe's Cookbook Vegetarian Cooking with Trader Joe's Cookbook Gluten Free Lunchbox Jokes: 100 Fun Tear-Out Notes for Kids