Start by marking “The Boy, The Bear, The Baron, The Bard (New York Times Best Illustrated Books)” as Want to Read:
The Boy, The Bear, The Baron, The Bard (New York Times Best Illustrated Books)

The Boy, The Bear, The Baron, The Bard (New York Times Best Illustrated Books)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  129 ratings  ·  41 reviews
A comic romp through Shakespeare's London featuring an intrepid little boy, a friendly bear, and-in the role of dastardly villain-the Bard himself.

What happens when a boy bursts through the curtain of a deserted theatre and onto the world's most famous stage? He lands on the Bard himself and the chase is on-through the streets of Shakespeare's London. This is a rare and in
Published October 1st 2004 by Roaring Brook Press (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Boy, The Bear, The Baron, The Bard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boy, The Bear, The Baron, The Bard

Kathryn
This is a wordless picture book and the "comic" type format will be familiar to those who enjoy graphic novels. This isn't usually my favorite style of picture book so I'm being a bit generous in giving this four stars--I think it's worthy, but my enjoyment was maybe only three stars. That said, it's a fun introduction to the look and feel of Elizabethan London for youngsters. The concept of the boy time-traveling thanks to a theater curtain is quite fun and a lovely nod to the magic of theater. ...more
Marcie
My girls (ages 4 and 1 1/2) love this book. I wasn't sure it was appropriate because the book is pretty scary. The story is about a boy who is transported back to Elizabethan London through an empty theater stage. He is chased by Shakespeare throughout the story. The Bard jumps out of bushes and boats and he catches the cape of the boy in a very exciting climax to the story. Earlier in the story the boy and his bear sidekick save the Baron from being beheaded and there are lots of heads on poles ...more
Claudia
(SPL) A boy playing among the warehouses of London kicks a soccer ball into an abandoned theater. There he finds an enchanted cape that transports him back in time right onto the stage of one of William Shakespeare's plays!

(Claudia) Colorful cartoon-style story panels follow a self-confident little white boy and his anthropomorphic bear buddy through a fast-paced series of escapades in a historically accurate Elizabethan “theatre district” replete with colorfully-costumed nobles, tooth-challenge
Liz
Oct 30, 2009 Liz rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids ages 4-12
Shelves: lis-565
This wordless comic book stye picture books tells the adventures of a boy who kicks his soccer ball through the window of an old theatre. There he is transported through time back to the globe theatre in Elizabethan England. He stumbles on to the stage of none other then the Bard himself, William Shakespeare, who isn't pleased at the interruption. As Shakespeare chases the boy through London the boy meets and frees a bear and a very timid baron. As the posse tries to evade the Bard they meet man ...more
Dolly
Mar 24, 2011 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a terrific wordless graphic novel that is full of excitement, adventure and suspense. The historical aspects of the story are wonderful too, with Shakespearean times depicted and a theatrical theme. It's a fun way to explore old London.

The only thing that I found disturbing was the numerous heads on pikes in the middle of the book. While historically accurate and the illustration itself is not overly gory, that is one grotesque historical detail that could have been left out without aff
Miriam
Cute wordless, comic-strip format picture book about a little boy who is transported back to Shakespearean times while playing soccer in an abandoned theater. I liked how the boy was unfazed by time travel, angry actors, severed heads, and wild animals.
The large number of frames per page may be a bit much for the attention span of smaller children.
Cheryl
A wordless graphic novel? I have no idea how I managed to get through it - Rogers must be amazing simply because he was able to engage me despite the fact that I don't read comics and have trouble with wordless books! I can easily see how some people would rate it higher; it is cute.
Melanie
After kicking his soccer ball into an old, abandoned theater building, a young boy heads in after it. After exploring his surroundings he discovers the costumes and props room. He begins to try on clothes and discovers a cape. With cape on he runs through the theater and through the front curtain...and finds himself transported to Elizabethan England.

Immediately he is pursued by William Shakespeare, the man who's play he interrupted. While hiding the boy discovers a bear locked in a cage, in sha
lucem
May 22, 2008 lucem rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: elementary-college age
Shelves: pb-wordless, award
CIP: A boy finds an enchanted cape in an abandoned theater that transports him back in time onto the stage of one of William Shakespeare’s plays! A comic romp through Shakespeare’s London featuring an intrepid little boy, a friendly bear, and-in the role of dastardly villain-the Bard himself.

There is a lot going on in this wordless picture book!! It is large size (not quite big book) and illustrations are in comic book/graphic novel style squares. The drawings are very detailed and the book is t
In this wordless comic book style story, a young boy is transported back to Shakespearean England. The Bard himself chases him through London. This is where the story becomes really interesting and delightfully confusing. The boy saves a bear, the runs across (I think) London Bridge, rescues a Baron from prison, hangs out with Queen Elizabeth, and manages to get back to his regular time. Whew! That's a lot!

This book was worth the effort it took for me to get into it. I enjoyed the illustrations
E
Potential Problems: There’s a picture of the place to chop off heads.
Personal Response: I loved this! The pictures and themed events are all research backed and true. I went to London this summer and loved being able to see the globe and the river again.
Lindsey
In this comic-style, wordless book, a small boy wanders into an abandoned theatre and is time warped onto a stage in which a Shakespeare play is being performed. This upsets Shakespeare and he decides to chase after the boy. The boy runs from him and ends up running into a bear that is in a cage. He helps the bear escape and brings him along on the run from Shakespeare. They then meet a Baron, jester, and set him free as well. The three run from Shakespeare until one by one they begin to leave t ...more
Becca
My 4 year old daughter loves this book. Loves it. I picked it up at the library along with a bunch of other books, and this is the one she latched on to and reads a million times a day. There is no text to go with the pictures, so she will tell herself the story or have me tell it to her. I think she loves that it's different every time. A little boy who time travels back to Elizabethan England and is being chased around by an angry Bard while he rescues a bear and a baron? Who'd have thought. O ...more
Avalon
This is the sort of book where the pictures tell the story better then any words could
Marsha
Told entirely without words, this story of accidental time travel introduces the reader to a curious playful boy and the characters he meets. The pictures capture perfectly the era of Elizabethan splendor and squalor through which he travels and makes poignant his friendships as well as the ire of the Bard whose play he has interrupted. One image, e.g., perfectly and hilariously captures the moment of time travel itself, far better than most cinematic visual effects.

This is an amusing little rom
Destinee Sutton
I'm really into wordless picture books lately. At first I didn't like them, but I think that was because they require a different kind of reading that I'm only just getting the hang of.

This one is about a boy who wanders into a theater and is magically transported back to Elizabethan London where he pisses off Shakespeare and spends the rest of the book on the run from him. It's got a comic book look to it and because there are no words parts of the story are sort of open to interpretation, whi
Chenoa Brown
This book is good for students in the grade levels 2-5 because of the Elizabethan theater. I would also recommend it for all grade levels because pictures and the students can depict their own version of the story by just pulling their thoughts from the pictures. Wordless books give students the freedom to bring to life what they see in the pictures without being told it is wrong or right.
Louise (A Strong Belief in Wicker)
A modern boy steps through the curtain at Shakespeare's Globe theatre and is transported back to the 17th century for an encounter with the great man himself. A wordless cartoon, shows us his adventures- he comes across a bear and a baron, as well as the bard. I must admit to preferring a story with words, this format still works well here- with lots of comic detail in the drawings.
A book without words, this picture book could be for children through out grade school. It tells the story of a small boy's travel through time to the time of Shakespeare's time, where he frees a bear, who shows him around 17th cen London. Told reminicant of a graphic novel, it is a good transition between picture book and other graphic mediums.
Acton
This book is about a boy who kicks a ball into a theater. After that, I don't really know what happened. He gets chased by a bard, he meets a bear and they rescue a baron. The reason I am not exactly sure what happens is because there are no words. The story is told through pictures. I prefer words.
Melanie
This book is another book that allows a young reader to tell the story in their own words. It is a fun book of friendship and many of the items in the book are best understood by someone who has a fair amount of reading under their belt. The Bard in the title is indeed "The Bard."
Christina Lewis
Not so thrilled about this one. I guess it would be fun for a middle schooler to read that is studying about shakespeare and that era, but the heads on top of the tower assured me that this was not a book I was interested in sharing with a child.
Christine Turner
Rebecca
This a good book for 1st-5th grades. I would use this book as an example of how to explore wordless books. Children can compare their interpretations from the picture and analyzed the differences.
Emkoshka
I didn't enjoy this as much as The Hero of Little Street (Elizabethan England isn't my thing), but it was still a fun romp through an abandoned theatre into ye olde London.
Mike Jensen
I write about this in my chapter for a book on Shakespeare and the arts to be published next year in Scotland. It is not fair to the editors or publisher to comment here.
Ashley Wagner
Although the book is more of a picture book/comic it has multiple uses. Would be great for beginning reader in upper elementary because it is a more in-depth storyline.
Cya
Story show in pictures about a boy going though Shakespeare's theater. Good for showing how to tell a story in a different way also, making predictions.
Betsy
This is lumped in with children's books because it's a wordless picture book, but it's a very fun introduction to the world of Shakespeare for any age!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Here I Am
  • Quest
  • Whatever
  • The Flower Man
The Hero of Little Street Midsummer Knight Omar the Strongman Apostolic Succession Fountain Square and the Genius of Water: The Heart of Cincinnati