Start by marking “Daisy Dawson Is on Her Way!” as Want to Read:
Daisy Dawson Is on Her Way!

Daisy Dawson Is on Her Way! (Daisy Dawson #1)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  311 ratings  ·  74 reviews
Imagine if you woke up one day and found you could talk to animals! A lighthearted tale with lots of appeal for early chapter-book readers.

Even though Daisy Dawson is late for school — again — she can’t help but stop to free a butterfly trapped in a web. And when she does, something amazing happens! Now Daisy can understand everything animals say, from her favorite farm do
Published March 25th 2008 by Candlewick Press (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Daisy Dawson Is on Her Way!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daisy Dawson Is on Her Way!

Dawn Teresa
I love Daisy! I'm currently reading four other books, and was feeling bogged down. I wanted to read something light and happy, and Daisy Dawson was just the girl to read about!

Daisy is not a bad girl--she's not devilish or snarky or otherwise bad-tempered. She's just a dreamer who gets distracted, loses track of time, and is habitually late for school.

In this first Daisy Dawson tale, we follow Daisy on adventures that come as result of her sudden ability to hear, understand, and interact with
This book is LOVELY :)
I have read this book so many times, and it never fails me.
Thank God we have this book in our school library muahahahahaha..
I love the illustration, and also the story. Every part of it. From the butterfly, to the talking dog and horse, the singing ant and the cat that saved the day!

Siapapun yang membaca buku ini akan tersenyum, menyadari bahwa ada orang-orang di sekitar kita yang mirip dengan tokoh utamanya. Yang memang udah lovely, menawan, polos dan jujur dengan caranya
Roxanne Hsu Feldman
This is a lovely story with charming illustrations. The language is easy but lyrical, the scenario magical and I appreciate how Daisy does not lose her power in the end! But what elevates this title to above just a "good" read to a worthy read is the illustrations by Jessica Meserve and the layout design that integrates the illustrations with the text. It's a whole and complete package with a wonderful little heroine, a host of "talking animals" each with a distinct personality, a magical power ...more
I'd give Daisy 4.5 if I could!

I think the early-reader type book is the most difficult to write. Steve Voake did a wonderful job creating an appealing main character and a story that made me want to read more. I also wanted to immediately share it with my young reader friends!

Cute illustrations and engaging story of talking animals and a kind, brave little girl. I'll definitely look for the sequels and add Daisy to my own library!
Sometimes a character in a book is so much like someone you know that you can't help but love her, and also love her story. Daisy Dawson reminds me of one of my adorable students--she knows who she is.

Alyson Ashby Braun
This is a great children's book. I read it to my 2nd grade class and the vocabulary is delightful, as well as the main character.
After finishing Ivy + Bean, I was at a loss to find something at the same reading level: a long narrative arc in series format, but with pictures on just about every page. Enter Daisy Dawson. The format is a perfect match, and it is an easy read along too. I don't think my little one understood the jokes, but to be fair, they were pretty lame jokes. There's also absolutely no possibility to claim that anyone is too scared by the story to go to bed; it's already more G rated than a Disney movie. ...more
Claire O'very
This is a really good book! The entire book is about communication. daisy can talk to animals.
A charming story for beginning chapter-book readers.
Kristy McRae
Daisy rocks! I read this one with my 8-year-old daughter, and we both loved it! Daisy discovers in this first book that she can talk to (and understand the language of) animals. That in itself won me over from the first page. :) But it's also a story about friendship, and about keeping one's child-like faith in the world--about holding on to dreams and hopes and keeping your heart open to the possibilities in life. A great message for little girls of all ages! (And little boys too, for that matt ...more
Daisy Dawson is a known dawdler; she is always getting distracted - particularly on her way to school and often by animals. One morning Daisy rescues a butterfly on her way to school and in return receives the gift of understanding animal talk. Soon Daisy is chatting happily with the animals around her, but then she notices that Boom, her hound dog friend, has gone missing. With a new dogcatcher in town, Daisy and her friends know that it's up to them to save Boom!

Daisy is an engaging heroine w
I thought this book was kind of boring until the climax. Daisy is a notoriously late little girl who soon learns that she has been gifted with the ability to talk to animals after she saves a butterfly from a spider's web. She learns the names of some of her favorite animals and they band together to save a dog from the evil clutches of the dog catcher. The cat is a typical cat of course. The illustrations are very sweet.
Charming little chapter book about a girl who helps a trapped butterfly and in turn is gifted with the magical ability to talk with animals. Loved the writing style and vocabulary. Not dumbed down, but still a cute story to read with my 2nd grader. The two of us couldn't help but giggle along with sweet Daisy and the spunky animal personalities she encounters.
This is an extremely sweet story about a little girl who is perpetually late to school. Every day she is distracted by the wonders around her. One day Boom, a dog and her new friend, is no where to be found. It takes a team of friends (Daisy and animals) to discover what happened to Boom and to rescue him.
Amy Varchetti
A sweet little story for younger elementary students. Despite the meandering plot that left me wondering about the point of the story, young readers will relate to Daisy's connection with animals and pure-hearted curiosity.
L gives this 5 stars. Her review: the pictures are so pretty.

A fun read-aloud with a very kid-pleasing premise. The pictures are pretty, too, and there are enough of them to keep little listeners interested.
Apr 01, 2008 Terry rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: familes, early grade readers
Daisy Dawson is a sweet young girl with the best of intentions who is happy in her own little world. She may be oblivious to the things the adults think are important, but she doesn't miss a thing when it comes to the truly important stuff.

On the way to school she spots a butterfly trapped in a spider's web. A simple "thank you" kiss opens up a whole new world for Daisy, as she discovers she can talk with animals.

This is an enjoyable adventure that is perfect for bedtime or sitting together hudd
Really great characters and I love the illustrations, too. Sweet but not saccharine, great 2nd gradish type chapter book. Ordered the whole series after reading this first one.
I'm completely perplexed as to how something like this gets through the editing process, and even more confused by the mostly glowing reviews. This book was awkwardly written and did not work well for a read-aloud. The language was totally wrong for the intended age-group of readers. I found myself editing it as I was reading it to my kids so it would read more smoothly. The next night, I was hoping they wouldn't ask to continue the story and we could move on to a better book. They didn't ask, a ...more
Ava C
I really like this book. It is very funny and cute. Daisy is very brave and kind to animals. She reminds me of my little cousin.
I found this cutie on Pinterest. It is a easy read for someone just starting on chapter book. Daisy is a little ray of sunshine.
On her way to school Daisy Dawson rescues a butterfly, who thanks her by giving her the gift of communicating with animals--a gift that allows her to retrieve the class gerbils and save a tiny ant. When she learns that Boom the hound dog has been taken to the pound, Daisy teams up with a horse and a squirrel to rescue him. The story is solid and moves at a brisk pace. Newly-independent readers will be drawn in by the book's slim size and cheery black-and-white drawings. This would make an excell ...more
Victoria Welter
This was the first chapter book I had ever read and I remember loving every minute.
Dannuel Saùl Delizo
Daisy, so cute. Kids have the most creative imaginations. talking animals, oy vey!

A fun new series for ages 6-9.
Such a cute book! The girls loved it.
Young children will delight in this story of a young girl who can understand what animals are saying. Because of this remarkable ability, Daisy goes on a rescue mission, but also gets in trouble at school. I marked this a good for advanced readers because the content of the book really feels like it is meant for someone younger than 3rd grade, which is the approximate reading level for this book. Daisy herself seems younger than that, although she does get to walk to school by herself. It was a ...more
Rene Spector
My 7 year old daughter LOVES this series!
Jul 08, 2011 Molly rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Molly by: Steve Voake, Mimi Thebo, Janine Amos
Steve Voake is a fantastic writer, so it's no surprise that Daisy Dawson is so good. My only slight issue? Since a child I've always loved animals and disliked them doing things un-animal, such as the squirrel posing like a ninja, but it's the sort of thing I know kids love and find very funny.

Daisy Dawson is one of those books that I wished I could have read as a child, so I will read them now as a 'grown up' and pass them on to all the children I do know.
Update: finished it - what a great little book. I'd give it 4.5 stars if I could.

Grabbed a paperback edition of this off the shelf at the library the other day on a whim, having never heard of the book or the author. I'm SO glad I did! The story is great and the wonderful illustrations really capture the essence of Daisy and the animals she encounters. The book has been a really nice read-aloud text and I'm looking forward to finishing it tomorrow.
  • Amy and the Missing Puppy (Critter Club, #1)
  • Lulu and the Duck in the Park
  • Chicken Feathers
  • Anna Hibiscus (Anna Hibiscus, #1)
  • Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa
  • Mercy Watson Fights Crime (Mercy Watson #3)
  • Houndsley and Catina (Houndsley and Catina, #1)
  • The Legend of Diamond Lil (J.J. Tully Mystery #2)
  • Fancy Nancy: Nancy Clancy Sees the Future
  • Clementine's Letter (Clementine, #3)
  • Like Pickle Juice on a Cookie (Eleanor, #1)
  • Ruby Lu, Brave and True
  • Sylva and the Fairy Ball (The Fairy Bell Sister #1)
  • The Night Fairy
  • Princess Posey and the Next-Door Dog (Princess Posey, #3)
  • Soupy Saturdays with the Pain and the Great One
  • Claude In The City
  • Violet Mackerel's Brilliant Plot (Violet Mackerel, #1)
Steve Voake is the author of all the Daisy Dawson books, as well as two novels for older readers. He lives in Somerset, England.
More about Steve Voake...

Daisy Dawson (5 books)
  • Daisy Dawson and the Secret Pond
  • Daisy Dawson And The Big Freeze (Racing Reads)
  • Daisy Dawson at the Beach