Start by marking “If Animals Kissed Good Night” as Want to Read:
If Animals Kissed Good Night

If Animals Kissed Good Night

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  195 ratings  ·  43 reviews
If animals kissed
like we kiss good night,
Giraffe and his calf
would stretch their necks high
and kiss just beneath
the top of the sky.

In a cozy bedtime chat with her mom, a young girl wonders how animal families might say good night. Would Wolf and his pup “kiss and then HOWL”? Would Bear and her cub “kiss and then GROWL”? But what about Sloth and her baby? They move soooo sl
Published April 1st 2008 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about If Animals Kissed Good Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If Animals Kissed Good Night

Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Pat the Bunny by Dorothy KunhardtWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
Best Books for a Baby Shower!
103rd out of 345 books — 309 voters
Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownGood Night, Gorilla by Peggy RathmannThe House in the Night by Susan Marie SwansonBlackout by John RoccoIn the Night Kitchen by Maurice Sendak
Picture Books About the Night
102nd out of 121 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Read for CBR 6

Today you lovely people get to benefit from my

1) need to provide the newest arrivals in my family with quality children’s literature,
2) hatred for gift registries, and
3) understanding of the panic that occurs when tiny babies do not want to go to sleep.

My go-to gift for any occasion is a book. Or many books. I figure you, my fellow Cannonballers, have a similar notion that there is, somewhere in the universe, a perfect book to give as a gift for almost every reason. Good days, bad
Very cute illustrations, fun rhymes, and a variety of animals make this a winning bedtime read, one especially suited for Valentine's Day. I like the imagination behind the different settings, sounds, etc. the parent/baby animals would make with their goodnight kisses, and the ending illustration is especially adorable and ties in adorably with the author's note where she mentions she was inspired to write the book based on a little bedtime game she used to play with her own child.
This is an adorable book, with wonderfully simple drawings, vivid colors, fun rhyming, and a great bedtime theme. The fact that they mixed up all the genders - mommies, daddies, daughters, sons - perfected the experience for me. There is an hilarious recurring theme with the sloths because they take so long for their kiss. My kids and I love to say "sooooo slooooow" as low and as long as we can while describing how the sloths kiss good night. Fun and sleep-inducing!!
One of my daughter's favorites!! It's so cute.
Jul 24, 2009 Shel added it
Paul, A.W. (2008). If Animals Kissed Goodnight. New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux.

If Animals Kissed Goodnight shares the way a number of animals kiss goodnight. While some strict adults may frown upon all the anthropomorphized animals, there is still a lot of fun vocabulary words that toddlers and other youngins can learn from this text. Most of the text is structured into rhyming couplets, which works well.

As the story progresses, the sun sets, brining nighttime to the animals in the illustra
Traci Bold
In Ann Whitford Paul's sweet, bedtime book, 'If Animals Kissed Goodnight', children discover how much animal mothers and their babies are alike.

This book makes for sweet dreams for young ones and opens up talk and discussion about much alike animals and people are in other ways too.

A definite 4 star book with lovable illustrations by David Walker.

Published by Melanie Kroupa Books, Farrar, Straus and Giroux.
Maddie Daetwyler
I obviously can't add every children's book that I have read or regularly read to my Goodreads, but this one is going on the list because of how much I enjoy reading this to my son every night. It makes me feel like parents are all bonded to each other and God wants us all to feel that. This is a big world filled with way more common ground than we give it credit for.
Different animals kissing good night.

This one didn't go over as well as I might of thought. There is a bit more of a narrative but it didn't engage the kids much. I liked this one better than they seemed to.
Adorable! This is going to be my new go-to baby shower gift book. The illustrations are darling and the prose are beautiful, flowing, and poetic. I don't have kids and I kind of want a copy anyway :)
A sweet goodnight story about how animals might kiss their children before bedtime. We especially like the sloths.
This book was amazing. I think that the story is so sweet. I love this book.
Absolutely delightful from beginning to end. This book could easily become part of a good night ritual with my son---the mother softly describes different ways in which animals would kiss (sloth and her cub: sooooo slooowwwww...) as she tucks her small daughter into bed with an assortment of the very same animals. The illustrations are sweet lovely watercolors, the verse always rhymes without poetic license, the meter scans exactly as it should. Could not be better!
Smith Family
Wonderful bedtime story!
I was afraid this might be a lame, sappy goodnight book, but this was actually very CUTE! The pictures are lovely, and sloths...well the sloths are everywhere!! The rhythms and rhymes and onomatopoeia are excellent This is a very nice bed time story. I would rate it more a 3 1/2 but I am comfortable with a 4 stars as I did really like it and I don't hand out 5 very often.
Is it possible for a book to be too cute? This was so adorably sweet. A little girl and her mom wonder how animals would kiss good night if they kissed like us. The sloth and her cub, since they kiss so slow, end up kissing good night for the entire length of the book. Too funny. The illustrations are soft and bright and so cute.
I love the illustrations, as I love David Walker from Bears on Chairs, but I'm not crazy about the words within. Not awful, but not fabulous either, just ok.
A bedtime story for young readers that describes how animals would kiss their children good night. There are all sorts of animals in soft pastels. The cartoon depictions make the animals extra cute which young readers will love. A good way to teach animals too.
Read this to study the poetry and the style of her text. Short text and lots of pictures. Lots of verbs to use and the pictures were big and round and childlike. Liked the story, too. Study her style as you read her Write Picture Books book.
This is one of those sappy books that people love to buy for other people. It is all about animals kissing and I wish I did not enjoy it but count me among the sappy. Animals should do this.... I now believe animals do do this. Ages Birth+
May 20, 2009 Jessie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: baby, own
This book has a pretty good rhyme to it. It shows lots of different animals and tells how they would kiss good night. It is a little long for my allmost 2 year old, but he does enjoy seeing the different animals.
Katie Casey
The funniest part about this book is that every time we got to a page with the sloths Micah wanted me to turn the book upside down because he thought they were not supposed to be upside down! ;-)
This could be used for family, bedtime and really anytime, themes are unneccesary for this one. I would use this for storytime and I think it's a great book to use one-on-one too.
What if animals said goodnight -- would momma and baby sloth kiss soooo slooooow? Would giraffes stretch up high?
Super cute illustrations with lots of movement.
A cute addition to a zoo animals storytime for 2-year-olds--not about a zoo, but definitely these are mostly animals we only see in the zoo in North America.
It is a cut book. The vocabulary is a little dense for a toddler, but I think they would understand the context of love and the different ways of kissing.
This is a cute book to read a child before bed. It shows how different animals might kiss one another.
Sarah Anderson
Great book! A very sweet bedtime book or anytime for that matter. Great rhymes throughout the book.
Super cute book to read before bed. My daughter loves reading this one every night!
Another cute book about kissing, but it features sloths with slow kisses!
  • Kitty Cat, Kitty Cat, Are You Waking Up?
  • Harris Finds His Feet
  • Sylvie
  • Knitty Kitty
  • Mother, Mother, I Want Another
  • Hush, Little Baby: A Folk Song with Pictures
ANN WHITFORD PAUL, author of 'TWAS THE LATE NIGHT OF CHRISTMAS has always been crazy for Christmas, but overwhelmed by it, too. Afterwards she is worn-out and dreams that someone like Mrs. Saint Nick could help her out with the resulting chaos and mess.

Ann graduated from the University of Wisconsin and Columbia University School of Social Work. She became inspired to write picture books after yea
More about Ann Whitford Paul...
Writing Picture Books: A Hands-On Guide from Story Creation to Publication Manana, Iguana Tortuga in Trouble Fiesta Fiasco Word Builder