Start by marking “The Good, the Bad, and the Furry: Choosing the Dog That's Right for You” as Want to Read:
The Good, the Bad, and the Furry: Choosing the Dog That's Right for You

The Good, the Bad, and the Furry: Choosing the Dog That's Right for You

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  10 reviews
With The Good, the Bad, and the Furry, author Sam Stall has consulted with dozens of breed rescue groups to learn the bestâ��and worstâ��traits of more than 100 different dogs, from Affenpinschers and Afghans to Whippets and Yorkshire Terriers. These illustrated profiles offer honest, warts-and-all assessments of the world’s most popular breedsâ��and show which ones are ri ...more
Published April 25th 2005 by Quirk Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Good, the Bad, and the Furry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Good, the Bad, and the Furry

Jake
Long story short. I grew up with dogs, and have suffered the last 10 years since leaving for college without one, for a variety of reasons, mostly having to do with finances and living conditions. However, I hope for both of those things to change within the year, and am determined to get some kind of canine sooner, rather than later. I miss having them.

While I grew up with hounds a-plenty (well, mostly retrievers and labs a-plenty), Starla didn’t. She’s a cat girl, and so while she’s learned to
Lauri
Oct 03, 2007 Lauri rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People interested in dog breeds and/or looking to adopt a dog
Shelves: animals, own_it
Adopting a dog is a serious proposition. It's important to find the right breed for you and your lifestyle. This book is AWESOME at breaking down the basics of all of the main dog breeds (100 in all). It's also pretty hilarious at times, excerpt regarding a Sharpei: "If someone broke into my house, this dog would: Serve up a steaming plate of stir-fried whoopass with noodles on the side." This book is a treat and a valuable asset for someone looking to adopt a dog.
Qnpoohbear
This book takes a slightly humorous tongue in cheek tone to choosing the right breed of dog. I looked for the description of my breed, the Cairn terrier, and found the description to be dead on accurate. I also flipped through other breeds I am familiar with and didn't find any faults there either. I liked how this book stresses the importance of choosing a dog from a reputable breeder or shelter and not a pet store. I would definitely recommend this book to someone who needs help choosing the b ...more
Talia
The best book on dog choice that I've read so far! Other books will tell you about some bits of temperament or history and then spend the rest of the book giving training advice. This book tells you both The positive and negatives of a lot of breeds. No other book has mentioned which dogs are a nightmare to groom, difficult to potty train, or warn about slobber. Each breed also has a 'who should own this dog' section that is very informative.
Annie
The best book on dogs out there! ASPCA highly recommends mutts above all other breeds but if you insist on getting a purebred, take a look at the pros and cons of each specific breed. Choose a dog that's good for your lifestyle, not a dog that's good for your personal image.
I loved how funny this book was and the illustrations were great.
Jo
Above all, some really funny descriptions of breeds. I really love his "what this breed would do if..." scenarios! For the dog lover, especially anyone who knows about the various breed differences, or who wants to know more. Sad to see he omits some breeds because it is all so entertaining.
Joan Colby
A warts and all observation of various dog breeds, written in a scintillating and often funny manner. Anyone seeking a pedigreed pooch could profit from reading this guide.
Sarah Keliher
It's wise to have a book on hand at all times. Otherwise, you may find yourself reading a whole book about dog breeds out of sheer desperation.

Kristy
This book is a very funny introductory guide. I definitely recommend it to anyone wishing to learn more about different breeds.

Rachel
Dec 27, 2011 Rachel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: dog-lovers
Incredibly funny, but probably a good resources for dog-people, too. The format is very helpful.
Timera Cyr
Timera Cyr marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Ashraqat
Ashraqat marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
100 Cats Who Changed Civilization Dracula's Heir (Interactive Mysteries) Suburban Legends: True Tales of Murder, Mayhem, and Minivans The Encyclopedia of Guilty Pleasures: 1,001 Things You Hate To Love 100 Dogs Who Changed Civilization