Start by marking “The Good, the Bad, and the Furry” as Want to Read:
The Good, the Bad, and the Furry

The Good, the Bad, and the Furry

4.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  36 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
With The Good, the Bad, and the Furry, author Sam Stall has consulted with dozens of breed rescue groups to learn the best—and worst—traits of more than 100 different dogs, from Affenpinschers and Afghans to Whippets and Yorkshire Terriers. These illustrated profiles offer honest, warts-and-all assessments of the world’s most popular breeds—and show which ones are right fo ...more
Published April 1st 2005 by Quirk Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Good, the Bad, and the Furry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Good, the Bad, and the Furry

Jake
Jul 11, 2008 Jake rated it liked it
Shelves: dogs, reference
Long story short. I grew up with dogs, and have suffered the last 10 years since leaving for college without one, for a variety of reasons, mostly having to do with finances and living conditions. However, I hope for both of those things to change within the year, and am determined to get some kind of canine sooner, rather than later. I miss having them.

While I grew up with hounds a-plenty (well, mostly retrievers and labs a-plenty), Starla didn’t. She’s a cat girl, and so while she’s learned to
Lauri
Oct 03, 2007 Lauri rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People interested in dog breeds and/or looking to adopt a dog
Shelves: animals, own_it
Adopting a dog is a serious proposition. It's important to find the right breed for you and your lifestyle. This book is AWESOME at breaking down the basics of all of the main dog breeds (100 in all). It's also pretty hilarious at times, excerpt regarding a Sharpei: "If someone broke into my house, this dog would: Serve up a steaming plate of stir-fried whoopass with noodles on the side." This book is a treat and a valuable asset for someone looking to adopt a dog.
else fine
Jan 12, 2008 else fine rated it it was ok
Shelves: read2008
It's wise to have a book on hand at all times. Otherwise, you may find yourself reading a whole book about dog breeds out of sheer desperation.

Lorna Payne
Dec 24, 2015 Lorna Payne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: all-time-faves
This has to be the best-written, most honest, and most *fun* dog book out there! I don't have dogs, and I keep bringing this home from the library just to read bits like:

"American Staffordshire Terrier: If someone broke into my house, this dog would: You know those companies the police use to clean up blood and body parts at particularly heinous crime scenes? You'll need one of those."

"Greyhound: If someone ... (each breed has these succinct and fun summaries) this dog would: Do nothing--unless
QNPoohBear
May 30, 2014 QNPoohBear rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, pets
This book takes a slightly humorous tongue in cheek tone to choosing the right breed of dog. I looked for the description of my breed, the Cairn terrier, and found the description to be dead on accurate. I also flipped through other breeds I am familiar with and didn't find any faults there either. I liked how this book stresses the importance of choosing a dog from a reputable breeder or shelter and not a pet store. I would definitely recommend this book to someone who needs help choosing the b ...more
Talia
Aug 25, 2011 Talia rated it it was amazing
The best book on dog choice that I've read so far! Other books will tell you about some bits of temperament or history and then spend the rest of the book giving training advice. This book tells you both The positive and negatives of a lot of breeds. No other book has mentioned which dogs are a nightmare to groom, difficult to potty train, or warn about slobber. Each breed also has a 'who should own this dog' section that is very informative.
Annie
Nov 22, 2013 Annie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animal-books
The best book on dogs out there! ASPCA highly recommends mutts above all other breeds but if you insist on getting a purebred, take a look at the pros and cons of each specific breed. Choose a dog that's good for your lifestyle, not a dog that's good for your personal image.
I loved how funny this book was and the illustrations were great.
Jo
Nov 11, 2009 Jo rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Above all, some really funny descriptions of breeds. I really love his "what this breed would do if..." scenarios! For the dog lover, especially anyone who knows about the various breed differences, or who wants to know more. Sad to see he omits some breeds because it is all so entertaining.
Joan Colby
Dec 07, 2010 Joan Colby rated it really liked it
A warts and all observation of various dog breeds, written in a scintillating and often funny manner. Anyone seeking a pedigreed pooch could profit from reading this guide.
Kristy
Mar 24, 2008 Kristy rated it really liked it
This book is a very funny introductory guide. I definitely recommend it to anyone wishing to learn more about different breeds.

Rachel
Dec 27, 2011 Rachel rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: dog-lovers
Incredibly funny, but probably a good resources for dog-people, too. The format is very helpful.
Dave
Dave added it
Jan 27, 2016
Stefanie
Stefanie marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Andrea
Andrea rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2015
Sonja
Sonja rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2015
Timera Cyr
Timera Cyr marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2014
Ashraqat
Ashraqat marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Samantha Sly
Samantha Sly rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2015
Meredith Mattingly
Meredith Mattingly rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2014
Debi
Debi rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2014
Mady
Mady rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2014
Sharon
Sharon rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2014
Savanna
Savanna rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Bristan
Bristan rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2013
Alicia
Alicia rated it really liked it
May 14, 2013