Start by marking “The Diamond Lens” as Want to Read:
The Diamond Lens

Read Book

The Diamond Lens

Fitz-James O'Brien (1828-1862) was an author and is often considered one of the forerunners of today's Science Fiction. While he was in college he had shown an aptitude for writing verse, and two of his poems Loch Ine and Irish Castles were published in The Ballads of Ireland (1856). His earliest writings in the United States were contributed to the Lantern. Subsequently h ...more
Published February 15th 2008 by Dodo Press (first published 1858)

To ask other readers questions about The Diamond Lens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Diamond Lens

Amy Sturgis
Rereading this for my class, I am struck again by the balance of the Gothic and the scientific in O'Brien's story. This is the first known published tale in which another world is perceived through a microscope, and O'Brien does great justice to the sense of wonder and longing this sight evokes. It's a powerfully dark and haunting story despite its brevity.
Júlia
Mar 21, 2017 Júlia rated it did not like it
1 star meaning: it really isn't worth it
That was a pretty random story that constantly got me confused (not because my first language isn't English, but because of the nonsense it mostly was for me) and unintentionelly skipping paragraphes. I wasn't even able to properly finish it;
There is, however, this one quote that I really liked.
it goes:
"Every great genius is mad upon tha subject in wich he is greatest. The unsuccessful madman is disgraced and called lunatic"
Артём Багинский
As far as I can make out this is a story of mankind looking at nature with destructive admiration, with a moral along the lines of The Little Prince - we're responsible for who we discover and observe, due to some quantum mechanical effects, anticipated by O'Brien all the way in 1858. Another trope that seems to be at the basis of the story is the blood and madness trail that is routinely left by especially large jewels.

One bit - and if you're spoiler-averse then close your eyes - reminded me of
Scott Harris
Feb 07, 2013 Scott Harris rated it really liked it
Considering the era in which this short story was written, O'Brien was impressive in his capacity to imagine a world within the world. Even more impressive though was his capacity to demonstrate the humility that was lacking in many other pieces of science fiction, wherein although the human capacity could discover but only to reveal a better reality than the one lived. Some very interesting theological reflections can be borne out reading this piece
Arun
Feb 07, 2012 Arun rated it did not like it
I failed to see any potential output from this story. I don't even understand if it did beheld any symbolism. It's just me.

The language is exquisite and was extremely poetic. Unexpected twist of events. How extreme passion can drive one to do immoral things, if there be, just to satisfy the thirst is very clearly shown.
Katie
Jan 01, 2017 Katie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2016
Short story, and an iconic one. Always fun to read these stories that are the deep roots of science-fiction/fantasy.
Troy
Troy rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2016
Priya Sridhar
Priya Sridhar rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2016
Eric Bryant
Eric Bryant rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2012
Curtis
Curtis rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2012
Martin
Martin rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2013
Danielle
Danielle rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2014
Michella
Michella rated it liked it
Dec 09, 2015
Abhyas
Abhyas rated it did not like it
Aug 13, 2016
Susan Bradley
Susan Bradley rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2013
Aaron Masters
Aaron Masters rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2014
Brett
Brett rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2016
Michael Grogan
Michael Grogan rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2017
Rebecca McCaffrey
Rebecca McCaffrey rated it it was ok
Jun 20, 2016
Teaberry
Teaberry rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2012
Nickfolian Tiapass
I liked this book it was short and easy to get through but that may have been because I simply could not put it down. I highly recommend this book to any that want to read a classic tale of science fiction.

-Nickfolian Tiapass
Annalee
Annalee rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2013
Kairi
Kairi rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2013
Kramer Straube
Kramer Straube rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2017
Shafira Sherin
Shafira Sherin rated it it was ok
Dec 10, 2015
Muhammad Adel
Muhammad Adel rated it it was ok
Dec 17, 2012
Driscooll
Driscooll rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2016
Adila Salma
Adila Salma rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
He was born Michael O'Brien in County Cork, and was very young when the family moved to Limerick, Ireland. He attended the University of Dublin, and is believed to have been at one time a soldier in the British army. On leaving college he went to London, and in the course of four years spent his inheritance of £8,000, meanwhile editing a periodical in aid of the World's Fair of 1851. About 1852 he ...more
More about Fitz-James O'Brien...