Small Business For Dummies

Small Business For Dummies

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Want to start the small business of your dreams? Want to breathe new life into the one you already have? "Small Business For Dummies, 3rd Edition" provides authoritative guidance on every aspect of starting and growing your business, from financing and budgeting to marketing, management and beyond.This completely practical, no-nonsense guide gives you expert advice on ever...more
Published March 1st 2008 by For Dummies (first published 1998)

Chad Warner
Sep 23, 2012 Chad Warner rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: entrepreneurs, business owners
A great starting point for the person thinking about starting a business. It quickly walks you through the pros and cons of being an entrepreneur, then dives into page after page of practical, real-world advice on attaining and maintaining success.

It covers all the bases, including financing, marketing, accounting, sales, management, taxes, and growth. Although it doesn't go into incredible detail about each topic, it definitely points you down the right path, and refers you to more specialized...more
Rebecca Horner
Definitely more for someone who is doing an inventory based business or something that involves renting a space. Not something I would suggest for someone who is just looking to start something out of their homes.
angela
The edition I had was outdated and referred to the internet as the "new kid on the block" and spent some time explaining how computers can help your small business. I can hardly fault the book just because I had an outdated version though. The truth is, many of the principles covered and advice doled out have not changed. It's a dry read, but it is a nice breadth of information for entrepreneurs. On any one topic, you'll need to fibd a more in-depth resource.
Mimi Somsanith
The "for Dummies" collection of books are sincerely helpful to the readers and profitable to the authors despite the occasional spelling errors. To me, it's like an encyclopedia of sorts to have for reference. Each book, however, can be overwhelming to digest and sometimes depth is substituted by a list. This one, though, I liked because there was enough solid material in an adequately organized fashion.
Jennifer Defoy
I've read this book a few times, in parts. Overall I think the information that is provided in this book is very useful. But it is very basic. I am currently pursuing a business degree and I am finding there is so much more to the concepts and ideas that are presented in this book.
Brian
Fun stuff! Running a small business seems fun. I also liked the relationship advice that said don't let your business affect your home life. Consider it done!

Also, I found the suggestion of getting a modem to be pretty sweet too.
Di
This is what you'd expect - an easy to read book with introductory info on how to start a business. I would recommend it.
Risti
Oct 24, 2008 Risti is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
well, i was just started. after finally found my passion on doing my very own small business.
Rebecca
I read through it once a few years ago, and I'm not sure I've opened it since.
Clare Lancaster
Hoping to learn about the book-keeping part :(
Aleksiel
Aleksiel marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Anthony Craig
Anthony Craig marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Shervin
Shervin marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Ahmad Abbas
Ahmad Abbas marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Patty Steuber
Patty Steuber marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Shannah Watson
Shannah Watson marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Annaka A.
Annaka A. marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Bethany
Bethany marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Nikky
Nikky marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Susan Preston
Susan Preston marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Hape
Hape marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Hape
Hape marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Alejandra Monsegue
Alejandra Monsegue marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Personal Finance for Dummies Investing For Dummies Home Buying for Dummies Mutual Funds For Dummies Personal Finance in Your 20s for Dummies