Start by marking “Small Business For Dummies ” as Want to Read:
Small Business For Dummies

Small Business For Dummies

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  129 ratings  ·  12 reviews
A quick and easy guide to starting and running a small business. Small Business For Dummies, Third Edition provides new small business owners with the tools they need to succeed, whether they're starting from scratch or acquiring an already established business. From drafting a business plan and keeping the books to hiring the right employees and providing benefits, this n ...more
Published March 1st 2008 by For Dummies (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Small Business For Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Small Business For Dummies

Chad Warner
Sep 23, 2012 Chad Warner rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: entrepreneurs, business owners
A great starting point for the person thinking about starting a business. It quickly walks you through the pros and cons of being an entrepreneur, then dives into page after page of practical, real-world advice on attaining and maintaining success.

It covers all the bases, including financing, marketing, accounting, sales, management, taxes, and growth. Although it doesn't go into incredible detail about each topic, it definitely points you down the right path, and refers you to more specialized
Kitten Kisser
That I found this book overwhelming & confusing. Okay fine. Roll your eyes & laugh all you want. I guess I'm dummer than a dummy. This year I took the leap into the small business world. I run an Organic farm with my husband. We don't have employees, we have livestock & crops. We are a general farm.

My problem with the book is that even though it is for small business, it was too big business for me. So many situations didn't apply & had me sweating bullets. I started to over thin
David Delaney
Nice quick guide and definitely recommended as an introduction.
Rebecca Horner
Definitely more for someone who is doing an inventory based business or something that involves renting a space. Not something I would suggest for someone who is just looking to start something out of their homes.
The edition I had was outdated and referred to the internet as the "new kid on the block" and spent some time explaining how computers can help your small business. I can hardly fault the book just because I had an outdated version though. The truth is, many of the principles covered and advice doled out have not changed. It's a dry read, but it is a nice breadth of information for entrepreneurs. On any one topic, you'll need to fibd a more in-depth resource.
Mimi Somsanith
The "for Dummies" collection of books are sincerely helpful to the readers and profitable to the authors despite the occasional spelling errors. To me, it's like an encyclopedia of sorts to have for reference. Each book, however, can be overwhelming to digest and sometimes depth is substituted by a list. This one, though, I liked because there was enough solid material in an adequately organized fashion.
Jennifer Defoy
I've read this book a few times, in parts. Overall I think the information that is provided in this book is very useful. But it is very basic. I am currently pursuing a business degree and I am finding there is so much more to the concepts and ideas that are presented in this book.
Fun stuff! Running a small business seems fun. I also liked the relationship advice that said don't let your business affect your home life. Consider it done!

Also, I found the suggestion of getting a modem to be pretty sweet too.
This is what you'd expect - an easy to read book with introductory info on how to start a business. I would recommend it.
well, i was just started. after finally found my passion on doing my very own small business.
I read through it once a few years ago, and I'm not sure I've opened it since.
Clare Lancaster
Hoping to learn about the book-keeping part :(
Loubna marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Gautham Raja
Gautham Raja marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2015
Roderick Nicolas
Roderick Nicolas marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2015
Leo Lirato
Leo Lirato marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
Kashif marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
Catherine marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2015
Axèl Ré
Axèl Ré marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2015
Simeon Jack
Simeon Jack marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2015
Mel marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2015
Emily marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2015
Shantika marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
Joe Sacramone
Joe Sacramone marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
SHAMAR DURHAM marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
Mehmet Kara
Mehmet Kara marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
Trevor Fenner
Trevor Fenner is currently reading it
Sep 17, 2015
  • Job Interviews For Dummies
  • Starting an Online Business for Dummies
  • Small Time Operator: How to Start Your Own Business, Keep Your Books, Pay Your Taxes & Stay Out of Trouble (Small Time Operator: How to Start Your Own ... Keep Yourbooks, Pay Your Taxes, & Stay Ou)
  • The Consulting Bible: Everything You Need to Know to Create and Expand a Seven-Figure Consulting Practice
  • Blogging for Dummies
  • Borderline Personality Disorder for Dummies
  • Economics For Dummies
  • Start Your Own Business: The Only Book You'll Ever Need
  • Spanish for Dummies
  • One Simple Idea: Turn Your Dreams Into a Licensing Goldmine While Letting Others Do the Work
  • Photography For Dummies
  • Success For Dummies
  • The Entrepreneur Equation: Evaluating the Realities, Risks, and Rewards of Having Your Own Business
  • Live It, Love It, Earn It: A Woman's Guide to Financial Freedom
  • Organizing for Dummies
  • Accounting for Dummies
  • Warren Buffett Invests Like a Girl: And Why You Should, Too
  • Free Marketing: 101 Low and No-Cost Ways to Grow Your Business, Online and Off