Start by marking “House Beautiful Colors for Your Home: 300 Designer Favorites” as Want to Read:
House Beautiful Colors for Your Home: 300 Designer Favorites

House Beautiful Colors for Your Home: 300 Designer Favorites

What transforms a room from monotone to magical? Color! So, if you’re nervous about splashing that white with bright, this conveniently portable primer based on House Beautiful’s most popular column will help. With special insider advice from top designers, plus a directory of actual paint swatches, this book is the most comprehensive and appealing color resource available ...more
Published September 2nd 2008 by Hearst

To ask other readers questions about House Beautiful Colors for Your Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about House Beautiful Colors for Your Home

Amy
Jun 21, 2009 Amy rated it liked it
I was excited about this book. I just bought my first home and it needs a lot of painting; I love color but don't trust my instincts for what will look good on a wall. The concept of the book is great, but I found it a little frustrating. Most of the colors are shown only in small squares, which gives a reader very little sense of what they will look like in rooms (the colors that are shown in rooms tend to look quite different from their chips, which leads me to believe this is an important dis ...more
Lobstergirl
Aug 24, 2009 Lobstergirl rated it liked it
Recommended to Lobstergirl by: Washington Post home section
Shelves: reference
This is a pleasant little book full of 300+ paint swatches. Each swatch is accompanied by a (usually) insipid comment from a designer who has used it. Every other page shows a room decorated in a selected color (which it would be nice to have more of, because it introduces lighting conditions, furniture, trim, etc.). The book finishes with a room-by-room color index and a shade-by-shade index. A caveat is that color reproductions of paint and swatches are notoriously difficult to get right; the ...more
Deodand
Feb 25, 2011 Deodand rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
You may be saying to yourself, Why would I read a book that's just a bunch of swatches? Or at least, that is what I said when I picked it up. But there are some good snippets of advice from designers that go along with the colours.

This is a good book for a couple to sit down with when planning the colour scheme of their house. You can read along, point, argue and agree over the hundreds of choices. It's also a good way to narrow down what you like (or hate).
Julie
Aug 17, 2014 Julie rated it it was ok
This book was equally great as it was a disappointment. The paint swatches were inconsistent -- some looked like the swatches from the paint store, and others were completely off base. My suggestion: write down the colors you think you like, then grab a bunch of the brand's official swatches from the store to assess whether you actually like the color.
Julie
Apr 09, 2009 Julie rated it it was amazing
This is the book I've been waiting for my whole life! It's a compilation of color suggestions from designers about what colors worked for them, with explanations of how they look in a room. If you are looking to paint a room in your house, this will narrow down your choices to some tried and true shades and lessen your chances of making a big mistake. Now I want to repaint every room in my house!
Melanie
Sep 12, 2009 Melanie rated it really liked it
1"x1" tiles of color flood the book to help you get a feel for color and what might work in your own home. Useful color index in the back of the book shows colors by shade. Lovely photos give you an idea of how the color can work in a designscape. Still trying to pick a color for my rooms. Wish there was more help about how to combine colors in rooms too.
Danielle
Apr 30, 2014 Danielle rated it it was amazing
this book is full of photos and hand selected paint/color choices - from designers i respect. full of photographs and the REASONS that the designers paired particular tints, hues together. And in particular i like that it gives their recommendations for rooms: bedrooms, kitchens, living rooms AND there are also their favorite greens, greys, blues, etc. I love that.
josaleeni
Nov 03, 2008 josaleeni added it
Shelves: nonfiction
I love learning about color. Based on a regular column in the magazine, this book pulls together paint color choices from designers, decorators and color experts, and features them with brief explanations of why they love the color and in what rooms and for what moods they think it works. It's helping me to better understand how color works.
Jules
Apr 07, 2011 Jules rated it really liked it
A little book just full of great ideas and insights, lovely unusual ways of using color in ways I wouldn't have thought of for effects that are very satisfying. Plus, the designer quotes about the colors they select is delightful and just a pleasure to read. So much personality and style!
Kristie J.
Oct 16, 2015 Kristie J. rated it liked it
Cute little book with lots of pretty color ideas for painting various rooms in your home. I liked that the colors came from designers who have used them in interior decorating and the book is focused on colors. Got some good ideas.
Mary Lynn
Jan 05, 2009 Mary Lynn rated it really liked it
Shelves: design-decor
Great book for choosing colors by mood as opposed to palates. (Did I spell that right?) Extremely well organized. I liked that it was in a small book format but wish it was just a tad larger to make the photos more helpful.
Elisabeth
Aug 13, 2008 Elisabeth rated it really liked it
the most inexpensive way to uplift/facelift any space. A $30 gallon of paint is your best friend. This books helps you look at what will work for you. Break out of that box and do something inventive.
Kelly Lynn Thomas
Jan 26, 2015 Kelly Lynn Thomas rated it liked it
Shelves: home-and-garden
The colors are great, and I got a few ideas from this book, but I really would have liked to see more photos of them in actual houses.
Denise
Denise rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2015
Josie
Josie rated it really liked it
May 25, 2010
Gideon
Gideon rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2011
Brad Brenner
Brad Brenner rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2013
April
April rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2011
Calliope
Calliope rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2010
Juneko
Juneko rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2012
Allyson
Allyson rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Di Zhang
Di Zhang rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2015
Brittny
Brittny rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2016
Nancy Vaughan
Nancy Vaughan rated it liked it
Sep 29, 2015
Amy Bloedorn
Amy Bloedorn rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2016
Cindy
Cindy rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2014
Lynn Mcclelland
Lynn Mcclelland rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2014
Rebecca Wineland
Rebecca Wineland rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2016
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2011