Start by marking “The Oxford Companion to English Literature” as Want to Read:
The Oxford Companion to English Literature

The Oxford Companion to English Literature

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  249 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
The first edition of The Oxford Companion to English Literature, edited by Sir Paul Harvey, was published in 1932, and quickly established itself as the standard source of reference for scholars, students, and general readers alike. In 1985, under the editorship of Margaret Drabble, the text was thoroughly and sensitively revised to bring it up to date.
The sixth edition,
Published September 7th 2006 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Oxford Companion to English Literature, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Oxford Companion to English Literature

Stephen
Sep 21, 2010 Stephen rated it really liked it
4.0 stars. This is arguably the best reference book ever compiled for English Literature. It is not accurate to say that I have "read" this entire book but I have been using it fairly extensively since I acquired it in 1991 as part of an 8 volume leather bound set from Easton Press called the "Complete Oxford Reference Set." I have found it to be an excellent reference tool that is both easy to use and comprehensive.
Allan
Dec 12, 2012 Allan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
This is the definitive single volume reference on English (and that mostly means British) literature. The bias towards British authors is pronounced and obvious and gives a short shrift to the colonials, so deal. Mine has a slight fault to the binding, but I paid $4 at Half Price Books, so I can cope. In depth of coverage it exceeds the Webster's Encyclopedia of Literature; however, Webster's got more coverage of the Americans and world lit in general. If you;re a serious student of the written ...more
Shayan
Mar 23, 2013 Shayan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's not fair to say I've read all the entries, but I read most of the related ones to English (I mean ENGLISH!) Literature. And of course I still use it as a perfect reference book.

Chris
If you like to read literature or if you are majoring in English Lit, this book in is worth the investment.
Scott Golden
Feb 04, 2015 Scott Golden rated it really liked it
It's somewhat dated, Anglo-centric, Euro-centric, and -- as might be expected -- largely disregards 'genre fiction'; but, I'm still a sucker for these type of encyclopedias. A great big summary of literature that was either written in, or translated into the English language.
John E. Branch Jr.
I've neither read this nor not read it. Since Goodreads recommended it to me, I figured I might as well claim it. It's on my reference shelf, I last referred to it only a week or so ago, and I've been using it and its forebears for decades.
Everyman
Nov 06, 2009 Everyman rated it really liked it
Recommended to Everyman by: chodgkin@yahoo.com
A very useful resource to have at hand while reading English literature, particularly for a quick look-up of an author (dates, other works than the one you're currently reading, key biographical facts), book, or sometimes other relevant topics such as literary terms or key social movements. Is fun to browse in when one has a spare half-hour.
Christin
Feb 08, 2012 Christin rated it it was amazing
You haven't really lived until you've met the lady herself in a small seminar at EH and asked her to sign your copy and if it was the coolest and most ambitious project she ever undertook? Answer: of course!
Rob
Apr 16, 2009 Rob rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
Even in the day of the Net, this is still a handy book to have if you want to go beyond your reading, or find a reference you don't understand.
Nikki
Oct 19, 2008 Nikki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't see the point in actually reading this from front to back or any such thing. I think it's going to be a handy friend at times, though.
Phildobbin
Mar 24, 2012 Phildobbin rated it it was amazing
essential companion to anybody who cares about books & their authors...
Anna
Aug 09, 2014 Anna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, ref-english
Have the 1985 edition.
Patricia
May 07, 2009 Patricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Indispensable!
Liam
Liam marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Pat Tunstall
Pat Tunstall rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2016
Bruce
Bruce rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2016
Millicent
Millicent rated it really liked it
May 12, 2016
Queeya Jalique
Queeya Jalique marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
nobody inoz
nobody inoz marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Laylah
Laylah rated it really liked it
May 09, 2016
Sandy D'Alene
Sandy D'Alene marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
Kanwal Boparai
Kanwal Boparai marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Cuong
Cuong rated it liked it
May 05, 2016
Nazire
Nazire marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Dan Holloway
Dan Holloway rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2016
reinsplash
reinsplash marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Hoyadaisy
Hoyadaisy marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Zabihullah
Zabihullah marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
  • The Encyclopedia of Fantasy
  • The New Princeton Encyclopedia of Poetry and Poetics
  • The Rough Guide to Cult Fiction
  • The Oxford Dictionary of Quotations
  • The Great Tradition: George Eliot, Henry James, Joseph Conrad (Pelican)
MARGARET DRABBLE is the author of The Sea Lady, The Seven Sisters, The Peppered Moth, and The Needle's Eye, among other novels. For her contributions to contemporary English literature, she was made a Dame of the British Empire in 2008.

Drabble has famously been engaged in a long-running feud with her novelist sister, A.S. Byatt, over the alleged appropriation of a family tea-set in one of her nove
More about Margaret Drabble...