Start by marking “The River That Flows Uphill: A Journey from the Big Bang to the Big Brain” as Want to Read:
The River That Flows Uphill: A Journey from the Big Bang to the Big Brain

The River That Flows Uphill: A Journey from the Big Bang to the Big Brain

4.43 of 5 stars 4.43  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Written in the form of a scientists diary of a two-week float trip down the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon. There we find rocks of great age, fossils, dwellings of Stone Age peoples, and experience the land much as our ancestors did during all those untold generations in the dimly remembered world from which we somehow took flight.
Published December 1st 2000 by Backinprint.com (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The River That Flows Uphill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The River That Flows Uphill

Reinhold
William H. Calvin macht mit Freunden eine Rafting-Tour auf dem Colorado durch den Grand Canyon. Die grandiosen Naturschauspiele, besonders die farbigen Bänder der unterschiedlichen Erdschichten im Canyon regen die Reisenden immer wieder zu Gesprächen über den Ursprung des Lebens auf diesem Planeten, ja über die gesamte Evolutionsgeschichte überhaupt an. Ein grandioses Sachbuch das uns ein wenig die Ehrfurcht vor der Schöpfung wieder erweckt und gleichzeitig ein anschauliger und spannender Reiseb ...more
Art King
Great science writing with a dose of ideology thrown in.

This review is from: The River that Flows Uphill: A Journey From the Big Bang to the Big Brain (Paperback)
Calvin does science writing that is a pleasure to read. This account of floating the Grand Canyon on rubber rafts is all wrapped up in a wide sweep of natural history. My only criticism is his constant diversions to his own personal views on population control and environmentalism. He brings up these topics with all the fervor of a true
Richard
Calvin uses a 2 week raft journey down the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon as a caltalyst for wide ranging discussions with companions from different scientific disciplines about the history of the earth and evolution. it is a fascinating way to provide a thorough interweaving of geology, human evolution, anthropology, and ecology in a way that is accessible and educational. And you learn a lot about the Grand Canyon too.
David Sam
This is a wonderful, challenging book --- even nearly 25 years after it was written, it still speaks to us. The science is still mostly accurate, even though there have been some huge developments as, for instance, the discovery of Ardi.

One part science, one part adventure, one part natural history, one part human story, one part ecological polemic, and one part philsophy --- it is well worth reading.
BoekenTrol
This book travelled with me to Georgia (Sakhartvelo) and back again. I read it with great interest, although it was not an easy read.
Still, I would like to re-read it, because I liked it so much.
John Williams
I read this book while rafting down the river. Parts are very interesting and parts are slow reading. I also knew the author when we were both graduate students at UW.
Charles
Simply a wonderful book. A combination of science and philosophy. Played a big role in directing my interests toward the subject of evolution.
Vanessa
A good book, but too many side steps in the authors telling of the story. I got a bit bored with the personal accounts.
Vera VB
This book has geography, history, philosephy, adventure and a lot more.
Henk
Jun 13, 2012 Henk added it
Nice, easy to read, learned a lot about geology.
Georg
Nov 28, 2007 Georg rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: non-fiction
my favorite book
New Atlantis
New Atlantis marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Kali
Kali marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Shalini
Shalini marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Marc Gobes
Marc Gobes marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Danielle Jaworowski
Danielle Jaworowski marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Chris Van der Heijden
Chris Van der Heijden marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Jan Vesely
Jan Vesely marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Hamed
Hamed marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
William H. Calvin, Ph.D., is a theoretical neurobiologist, Affiliate Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at the University of Washington in Seattle. He is the author of a dozen books, mostly for general readers, about brains and evolution.

(source)
More about William H. Calvin...
Conversations With Neil's Brain: The Neural Nature Of Thought And Language How Brains Think: Evolving Intelligence, Then And Now A Brief History of the Mind: From Apes to Intellect and Beyond A Brain for All Seasons: Human Evolution and Abrupt Climate Change The Cerebral Symphony: Seashore Reflections on the Structure of Consciousness