The River That Flows Uphill: A Journey from the Big Bang to the Big Brain

The River That Flows Uphill: A Journey from the Big Bang to the Big Brain

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Written in the form of a scientists diary of a two-week float trip down the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon. There we find rocks of great age, fossils, dwellings of Stone Age peoples, and experience the land much as our ancestors did during all those untold generations in the dimly remembered world from which we somehow took flight.
Published January 17th 2001 by iUniverse (first published 1986)

Art King
Great science writing with a dose of ideology thrown in.

This review is from: The River that Flows Uphill: A Journey From the Big Bang to the Big Brain (Paperback)
Calvin does science writing that is a pleasure to read. This account of floating the Grand Canyon on rubber rafts is all wrapped up in a wide sweep of natural history. My only criticism is his constant diversions to his own personal views on population control and environmentalism. He brings up these topics with all the fervor of a true...more
Richard
Calvin uses a 2 week raft journey down the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon as a caltalyst for wide ranging discussions with companions from different scientific disciplines about the history of the earth and evolution. it is a fascinating way to provide a thorough interweaving of geology, human evolution, anthropology, and ecology in a way that is accessible and educational. And you learn a lot about the Grand Canyon too.
BoekenTrol
This book travelled with me to Georgia (Sakhartvelo) and back again. I read it with great interest, although it was not an easy read.
Still, I would like to re-read it, because I liked it so much.
John Williams
I read this book while rafting down the river. Parts are very interesting and parts are slow reading. I also knew the author when we were both graduate students at UW.
Charles
Simply a wonderful book. A combination of science and philosophy. Played a big role in directing my interests toward the subject of evolution.
Vanessa
A good book, but too many side steps in the authors telling of the story. I got a bit bored with the personal accounts.
Vera VB
This book has geography, history, philosephy, adventure and a lot more.
Henk
Jun 13, 2012 Henk added it
Nice, easy to read, learned a lot about geology.
Georg
Nov 28, 2007 Georg rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: non-fiction
my favorite book
Alister Thomas
Alister Thomas marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Steven Merino
Steven Merino marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Jolanda
Jolanda marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Sami Sayed
Sami Sayed marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Be
Be added it
Mar 16, 2014
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2014
Kuno
Kuno marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2014
Lauren Goldfish
Lauren Goldfish marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2013
Will Dorton
Will Dorton marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2013
Joshua
Joshua marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
William H. Calvin, Ph.D., is a theoretical neurobiologist, Affiliate Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at the University of Washington in Seattle. He is the author of a dozen books, mostly for general readers, about brains and evolution.

(source)
More about William H. Calvin...
Conversations With Neil's Brain: The Neural Nature Of Thought And Language How Brains Think: Evolving Intelligence, Then And Now A Brief History of the Mind: From Apes to Intellect and Beyond A Brain for All Seasons: Human Evolution and Abrupt Climate Change The Cerebral Symphony: Seashore Reflections on the Structure of Consciousness