Start by marking “The Refuge (Maxie and Stretch, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Refuge (Maxie and Stretch, #3)

The Refuge (Maxie and Stretch #3)

After nine months on the road, Maxie McNabb is ready for some R&R, Alaska-style, with her miniature dachshund, Stretch. But no sooner has the sixty-something RVer parked the Mini-Winnie than a pleading phone call sends her flying to Hawaii. Because Karen Bailey, hobbled by an accident, needs Maxie's help packing up her house.

But within hours of Maxie's arrival, a pro
Published April 3rd 2007 by NAL Hardcover (first published March 26th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Refuge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Refuge

Nancy
Dec 27, 2012 Nancy rated it liked it
Somewhere in the middle of this Hawaiian travelogue, it must have dawned on Sue Henry that she was supposed to be writing a mystery. Literally, you are half way through this book before anything that even slightly smacks of a mystery appears. Grated, early on they find a hand towel stuffed into a drainpipe, but really, who can base a mystery on that.

Maxie McNabb has left her beloved pooch Stretch at home in Homer, Alaska while she sets off to help an old friend tie up loose ends in Hawaii. Maxie
Terry Odell
Jun 24, 2013 Terry Odell rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-club
I like mysteries, although cozies aren't my first choice. Apparently this book isn't up to par with the others, but since I haven't read them, I can't base my opinion on what it "might have been."
The book began with the protagonist awakening, disoriented, by noises outside. What does she do? Gets out of bed and goes to check out and/or confront what seems to be someone breaking into the house. In a romance novel, that's a Too Stupid to Live heroine, and grounds for throwing the book across the r
Dyana
Dec 13, 2016 Dyana rated it it was ok
Boo hoo - no Stretch, the Dachshund, this time around. He is left at home while Maxie has her adventure. As in the first two books, this series is more a travelogue with some mystery thrown in - almost as an afterthought. No murder this time around, just mystery. The descriptions of the sights she sees can be interesting, but somewhat boring at the same time if you picked up the book for the mystery aspect.

Maxie has been touring the lower 48 states for 9 months when she begins to yearn for home
Dolly
Feb 22, 2013 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery fans
I brought several books on my latest trip and I did not need to buy anything to read. But since I am in Alaska, and I was watching some sled dog races today, I started thinking of the Sue Henry books I've read...And I got a hankering for another one of her stories. I found this book in a souvenir shop and thought the combination of Alaska and Hawaii would be entertaining.

I love the fact that Jessie Arnold and Alex Jansen are featured at the beginning of the story, so the two series are connecte
Sue Merrell
May 30, 2012 Sue Merrell rated it liked it
I picked an audio version of this book just for something to listen to in the car and probably won't get another by this author. Evidently her schtick is to overlay a little bit of mystery with a lot of sightseeing. This one takes place in Hawaii where I'm sure the sights are spectacular, but I prefer a tighter, more complex mystery. She did manage to surprise me in the end, so that was nice. Maxie, the heroine, has gone to Hawaii to help a friend pack to return to their home in Alaska. But the ...more
Carol
Jul 12, 2012 Carol rated it really liked it
I much prefer this series to the author's jessie Arnold series. Maybe because the character is around the actual age of the author in this series that she comes across better than the previous series's 30 something character.

This book was set in Hawaii and she gives detailed descriptions of the sights she sees, sometimes too detailed, as when she told how to get a Golden Age pass and what it covers. Interesting, but more of a travelogue at times.

The mystery part took a long time to get started
Heather Boers
Aug 22, 2010 Heather Boers rated it did not like it
This book reminded me of having a conversation with someone who just goes on and on about nothing. The descriptions about the beauty of Hawaii are fascinating to some, but not what I like reading about. Not my cup of tea, but I gave it my all til the last page. Didn't care for the main character, but I feel some of the other characters were interesting.
Avary
Hesitated between two and three stars. I liked it, even though it was largely a travelog -- NW US, Alaska Highway, Hawaii. The story was slow.
Maureen
Jun 10, 2017 Maureen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mysteries, sue-henry
Maxie and Stretch...

Complex, interesting

Favorite dimension: descriptions of Hawaii
Mary
Mar 11, 2017 Mary rated it it was amazing
Good mystery and fantastic descriptions of Hawaii
Donna Davis
3.5 stars.

Sue Henry has two series. One is about Iditarod participant Jessie Arnold. The other is about Maxie McNabb, a widow who travels during Alaska’s coldest season and sometimes at other times also, usually in her Winnebago, and usually in the company of her miniature dachshund, Stretch. As she makes her way around the USA, the reader picks up all sorts of minutiae about the culture, history, flora and fauna of various places in the United States. For those of us who are curious yet sedenta
Lindsay Boitnott
Feb 27, 2014 Lindsay Boitnott rated it liked it
I initially discovered Sue Henry during the winter of 2011 when I picked up one of her Jessie Arnold mysteries. Jessie Arnold is a dog sled musher who lives in Alaska; plan to hear more about this series in December when I am on an Alaska kick! The Refuge is an adventure involving Henry's other heroine, Maxie, whom I first met while reading the Jessie Arnold mystery, Dead North. I was initially hesitant to jump into a Maxie and Stretch adventure because Maxie, a woman in her sixties who travels ...more
Ellen
Jan 14, 2015 Ellen rated it really liked it
Soon after returning to her home in Homer, Alaska, Maxie McNabb recieves a phone call from a casual friend, Karen, who had recently moved to Hawaii. Karen's husband had recently died but Karen wanted to fulfill his lifelong dream to build a house in Hawaii. Moving everything she owned from Alaska to Hawaii, Karen soon realized that she didn't want to relocate after all and makes plans to return to the North. After she suffers a fall, breaking an ankle and an arm, she calls Maxie begging her to c ...more
Kimberly
Jan 06, 2015 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
This is 3rd in the series. We visit Hawaii in this one, then towards the end, she takes us home to Alaska. What a ride! The author is from Alaska, so she knows how to weave the descriptions around into a beautiful picture, when you get back to the Alaskan home. These are some of my fav books. The whole series was great. There are 4 books in the series, and I wish Sue Henry (one of my fav authors) had kept the story going on into more books. This is a cozy with a bit of thrill. I loved that you h ...more
Tess Mertens-Johnson
Maxie McNabb has buried two husbands. She has a miniature dachshund names Stretch.
She has been on the road with her RV and finally gets home to Alaska. She is barely in the door when she gets a distress call from her friend (?) Karen. Karen is the kind of friend you need to do 75% of the work. Karen has had an accident and is living in Hawaii. She needs help packing up her belongings after her husband’s death and to move back to Homer, Alaska.
Maxie, being a good friend, drops everything and goes
Carole
May 29, 2016 Carole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-books-read
Maxie McNabb has just returned from her visit to the lower 48 and is looking forward to spending the summer in her home in Homer, Alaska, when she gets a call from a former resident of Homer asking her to come to the big island of Hawaii to help her pack up her belongings to move back to Homer. She needs help because she broke her ankle and wrist while trying to pack up her possessions. She is not really a friend, actually a self - centered helpless woman who cannot make decisions on her own and ...more
Kathy
May 11, 2012 Kathy rated it it was amazing
Maxie, without Stretch this time, finds herself in Hawaii helping a friend move back to Alaska. Things do not go smoothly. The friend is more hinderance than help. Strange things are happening (whispered phone calls, aborted break-ins) while they pack things up. Maxie finds an older teen to help with the moving (he also wants to relocate back to Alaska) to help with the heavy moving. The friend returns to Alaska, which Maxie encourages (she is of no help in the move). Maxie and this young man co ...more
Homewood Public Library
Mar 30, 2012 Homewood Public Library rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
Maxie arrived at her home in Homer, Alaska after a prolonged trip to the lower 48. She was looking forward to a relaxing summer with friends, especially Jessie Arnold and Alex Jensen. But she received an urgent request for help from an acquaintance living in Hawaii. Not only was somewhat scatter-brained Karen of little use packing and making decisions, someone was watching the house and even broke in. Fortunately, Maxie met a teen who was a good worker and he agreed to hire on for the duration o ...more
Lucy
Jul 22, 2014 Lucy rated it liked it
I thought it was just me, but after reading other comments, it seems this is a watered-down version of Ms. Henry's previous masterful mysteries. Wasn't there a cliff scene in Serpent's Trail? I did like the twist on Jerry's character revealed at the end of the book, but who in their right mind would travel on her own dime to help someone she doesn't particularly like pack up to move? I thought it was far-fetched from the beginning, and after reading several spectacular Maxi & Stretch and Jes ...more
Patsy
Oct 11, 2015 Patsy rated it liked it

But within hours of Maxie's arrival, a prowler tries to break in and someone sabotages the plumbing. And when she hears Karen whispering into the phone-don't call here..
Gerry
May 09, 2011 Gerry rated it it was amazing
Good twists and turns to this one.
I especially liked how the folks in the last of her books, which was a different series, appeared in this one. I need to read more of both.
In this one, Maxie returns to Alaska only to be called away to Hawaii where she runs into more mystery and adventure.
There's a surprise (or two) to the ending that at first was a bit unbelievable but then it did make sense.
I'm enjoying Sue Henry's books.
Erica
Jan 17, 2008 Erica rated it liked it
This one was all right, though a bit misleading in the title. Stretch is not a main charactor this time around. My main problem with this book was that it needed more editting. There are several passages where she describes things that are repeated throughout the book. Yes, we KNOW about the secret compartment in her motor home for her shotgun all ready! Please don't tell me about it 5 times in the same book!
Ellen
Aug 08, 2014 Ellen rated it it was ok
"The Refuge" by Sue Henry.

Sorry that I had no choice but to give a poor review for this otherwise enjoyable series.

Stretch has barely been in the story at all. Missed his little doxie ways.
The story itself in my opinion was extremely boring and very slow paced. There was too much repetition of Maxie tripping on something or other and giving her whereabouts away.

I listened to this on CD and would not recommend this particular book in this series.
Grillables
Jan 04, 2008 Grillables rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Another cozy mystery from the author of the Jessie Arnold series. Plenty of guest appearances from that series in this one. A few quirks, such as gratingly repetitive descriptions of certain actions/things, popped me out of my standard suspension of disbelief and made it a less enjoyable read than it could have been.
Denise Lampton
May 14, 2012 Denise Lampton rated it it was ok
Maxie McNabb goes to Hawaii to help a friend ? move back to Alaska. Didn't sounded like she really even knew Karen and much less go to help her move back. That Karen was a pistol. The book reminds me of Murder she wrote. It was a quick and easy read. For some reason, with me getting older, I seem to enjoy these type of books with older women and mysteries.
LInda L
May 15, 2008 LInda L rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maxie McNabb travels from her home in Alaska to Hawaii to help an acquaintance pack up her house. The friend is a pain, there's a hostile landlord, Maxie makes friends with a plumber's assistant who turns out to be on the police force -- well, it just goes on and on. A bit too far, in my opinion, but it was still pretty good.
Deborah Bobo
Henry is a very descriptive writer. The mystery is almost secondary to her wonderful descriptions of wherever Maxie is visiting. In this case, it is Hawaii! The book makes me want to visit and see all of the fauna, birds, and volcanoes for myself. The ending does take an interesting turn. Slow read, but good.
Anne
Sep 12, 2010 Anne rated it liked it
Maxie and Stretch are very enjoyable characters. Maxie is a 60 something retiree who travels around the states during the winters in a motor home with Stretch, her mini dachshund and spends her summers in Alaska, her home base. This time she ends up helping a friend who has gone to Hawaii and finds mystery there as well.
Sandy Clark
This was on CD and I listened to it while driving to and from Fort Wayne and trips into work and back. The author gives way too much information about the places she visits and their history. It is a mystery, but most of it you figure out before she actually tells you. No huge surprises, unfortunately.
Mascanlon
Apr 18, 2008 Mascanlon rated it it was ok
A nice quiet read. I enjoy the trip with the characters but the plotting leaves something to be desired. And the tie up in the final chapter is simply a straight forward accounting of what the plot was....very little in the text, action or dialog to get you there.
  • Bird Brained (Rachel Porter, #3)
  • Apparition Alley (Kate Delafield, #6)
  • Scratch the Surface (A Cat Lover's Mystery #1)
  • So Sure Of Death (Liam Campbell, #2)
  • Howl Deadly (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery, #8)
  • Putting On The Dog (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #2)
  • The Moche Warrior (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #3)
  • Doggie Day Care Murder (Melanie Travis, #15)
  • Yip/Tuck (Pampered Pets Mystery #4)
  • Murder in the Red Room (Eleanor Roosevelt, #10)
  • Thief of Souls
  • Design For Murder (Death On Demand, #2)
  • Trap Door (Home Repair is Homicide, #10)
  • Canapés for the Kitties
  • Getting Old Can Kill You (Gladdy Gold, #7)
Sue Henry is the author of six novels in her award-winning Alaska mystery series: Murder on the Iditarod Trail, Termination Dust, Sleeping Lady, Death Takes Passage, Deadfall, and Murder on the Yukon Quest. She has lived in Alaska for almost aquarter of a century, and brings history, Alaskan lore, and the majestic beauty of the vast landscape to her mysteries. Based in Anchorage, where she teaches ...more
More about Sue Henry...

Maxie and Stretch (4 books)
  • The Serpents Trail (Maxie and Stretch, #1)
  • The Tooth of Time (Maxie and Stretch, #2)
  •  The End of The Road (Maxie and Stretch, #4)