Two Little Boys

Two Little Boys

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  97 ratings  ·  20 reviews
This book has got a lot of good bits.It's got penguins and toasted sandwiches and spotting knives.It's got a dead cat and anincredibleclimax.It's got a really little dolphin.It's got sea lions.It's got God.It's got a really cool lighthouse.When Nige runs over a Norwegian backpacker while attempting to save petrol, his life really turns to shit. Hethrowsthe body in a nearby...more
Paperback
Published 2008 by Penguin

Tanya
There was a blurb on the inside of the jacket of this book that sounded funny so i thought i would give it a read. That was the ONLY amusing thing about this book. I disliked the dimwitted characters and felt that i was reading something written by a 15 year old pot head with no education.

I expected this book to be funny and was very disappointed. I am sure that there are characters in the real world that are very similar to those depicted in this story but they would be as uninteresting as this...more
Kerry
Duncan Sarkies - Two Little Boys, published by Penguin, 2008.

I began reading this novel last year, and stalled some way in, as I have known guys just like Deano and Nige in my years growing up in the provinces (co-incidentally, the book is set in the ‘80’s of provincial Otago). Despite my love of Sarkies’ plays, and the movie Scarfies, I put the book down, thinking “I’ll get back to that”.

Roll around to the ‘Summer Books Alive’ Writers and Readers’ event at the Jimmy Bar, and there Duncan Sarkie...more
scarlettraces
full marks for screamingly good use of the vernacular, and i will admit to wanting to make the big words siren noise on occasion (i have refrained for fear of being thought mad). made me proud to be a kiwi, in a weird sort of way.
Chris
Don't. Just don't.
Ben
It was hard to read this with out hearing Germain and Bret's voices from, flight of the concords. Or perhaps I'm just being a Kiwi racist a Kiwist.

"It's real funny though, like when you're at school, in assembly doing a silent minute an all and you're mate like does a fart, and you know, you're not supposed to laugh but ya just have to cause it's so incongerus or whatever".
It's a lot like that. Which some people will find funny and some will just be annoyed. So if you've got a lot of books on...more
David Kenny
Utterly insane but pretty funny. Probably not recommended by the New Zealand tourist board.
Martina
i think that the author may be a sociopath. everything that is supposed to be funny in this book is a pre-curser for sociopathology ... from torturing/killing animals (what a joke!) to ultimately killing a human (the biggest & best jest of the entire novel!). i couldn't put the book down because i was waiting for the 'just kidding' moment to arrive. i assumed that the story line must be part of the joke, but finished the novel realizing that the author actually thinks he's written a funny &...more
Ian
Looking for an extra book to make up a 3-for-2 offer, this attracted me by its back cover blurb. I normally read a book in under a week. This one took me three. It's written in a staccato style with short chapters that makes it easy to read a bit and then put it down. The trouble is I seldom wanted to pick it up again.

This was not helped by the fact that I didn't identify with or care about the characters. Nor did I find the antics of this self-obsessed duo particularly funny.
Lisa
Dec 10, 2012 Lisa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
New Zealand author alert

Set in the depth of Otago, Deano and Nige have been friends for a long time. Things have been a bit rocky lately and Nige moved out last month. Nige gets into trouble and turns to Deano for help. What does Deano want from Nige in return?

The dark comedy that ensues keeps the reader guessing, laughing, crying, and cringing to the very end. It is somewhat farcical and a bit absurd but I give it 4 stars.

Recommend to 16+
Ian
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It's a very easy, almost simplistic, read and tells of Nige and Deano and the mess they get themselves when Nige runs over a Norwegian tourist.

The events and happenings are told in turn from each of our protagonists' viewpoints and it relishes in the mundane and its significance in Nige and Deanos' lives.

It's funny, chilling, at times cringeworthy and very touching.
Linley
Sep 19, 2013 Linley added it
A book to recommend to others when you want an examples of manipulation, drug use, foul language, deliberate cruelty that gives the person delivering it a kick, laziness, frequent sexual references. There will be people like this living in the society around me - why would we send in a helicopter to rescue them?

A well-deserved no stars from me.
This book is a good read but it irritated me!!! I hated the characters but I could not put this one down. It is dark and funny in places but I think you need to have a twisted sense of humour to appreciate it. Written by a kiwi for other kiwis, I reckon!
Dion
I found this book hilarious in a kind of dark way. I also found it very easy to relate to being from coastal NZ. The story line is quite twisted and it's hard to know when to laugh or cry. A real love it or hate it book.
Andrea
May 16, 2012 Andrea marked it as to-read
Looking forward to reading this,Sarkies has also been a scriptwriter for Flight of the Conchords and wrote Scarfies.The book is being made into a film starring Brett McKenzie and comes out later this year.
Jeff
By the guy who wrote the screenplay for the movie Scarfies, this is a blokey NZ novel about how badly wrong almost everything can go.
Nadine Wriesnik
Hilarious and would probably be half as long if you took out the f-word. True kiwi but not for those sensitive ones.
Richard
Brilliantly written, scarily addictive, beautifully bogan characters. Plot simple but entertaining.
Amanda Wood
excellent and well worth the read. a very nz boys getting up to mischief well written novel.
Byron Carr
Although this book was quite humorous throughout, I ultimately found it quite sad.
Liv
Okay, not the type of book I would normally go for, for reasons. Really weird.
Mimi
Mimi added it
Jul 17, 2014
rory
rory marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The demolition of the century Stray Thoughts And Nose Bleeds Demolition of the Century