Start by marking “Monkey Love” as Want to Read:
Monkey Love

Monkey Love

In this madcap debut, a single New Yorker takes a bite out of the Big Apple—and sets out on a search for the perfect primate…

Holly Heckerling has a great set of power tools, and she knows how to use them. It's a good thing, because her career as a stand-up comic isn't exactly paying the rent… yet. But nothing's going to stop Holly's rise to stardom. Not the pickpocketing m
Published February 7th 2006 by NAL Trade

To ask other readers questions about Monkey Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monkey Love

Jul 25, 2010 Lesley rated it really liked it
a few weeks ago when my head was throbbing from the onset of a new york city heatwave, i suddenly craved something light, fluffy, and a bit girly; the tiramisu just wasn't enough. sure, i've had my fair share of romantic comedies in film (ie currently friday nights after the kid is in bed and hubby still at work), but it's altogether a different thing to read them. it just wasn't my thing. so when i went to my books, i'm not sure why i was surprised and even a tad saddened in realising i didn't ...more
Corinna Bechko
Sep 05, 2011 Corinna Bechko rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Think "laugh out loud funny" is just a phrase? This book will prove you wrong. Everything about Holly and her tribulations rings true, despite the zaniness of the plot. Monkeys, snakes, a chaotic love life, socks, socks, socks! This book has it all, yet it never feels sulky, rushed, or snarky like so many modern romantic comedies. Instead it harkens back to the best of the screwball films, like The Lady Eve and Bringing Up Baby. By the end I was rooting for Holly just as I would for a good frien ...more
Dec 28, 2012 Lin rated it really liked it
Similar in tone to Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series, but without the sex and crime-solving/mystery angle, this book was fun to read. It made me grin, chuckle, and laught out loud at parts. The main character (and narrator), Holly Heckerling, is klutzy, neurotic, a force of nature--and completely likable. The characters that surround her are funny and flesh out the storyline effectively.
Mar 22, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it
Incredibly hilarious! This is a winter vacation sort of book--something you read when you don't have school and it's cold outside and you can spend all day loafing around and laughing.
Jul 16, 2014 Melissa rated it liked it
This was a cute book and a fast read. It didn't make me laugh out loud, but it was amusing. There's not really an exciting or strong plot, but I still found myself not able to put this down! I bought the second one at a used book sale so I am looking forward to reading that. This was a good, quick, light-hearted read.
Jul 20, 2007 Kristan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who wants a good laugh
I have seriously never laughed out loud so much while reading. And then, just when you think it's all silly fun, the emotional impact sends you reeling. There's a twist that really took me by surprise concerning a mysterious writer. Anyone who loves animals, especially monkeys, will enjoy the pet-sitting adventures. Other readers will just enjoy the sweet, screwball romantic comedy.
Dec 19, 2011 Angie rated it really liked it
This book was as light and fluffy to read as cotton candy. I finally get the term chick-lit. The humor was clever and the characters were interesting. The best part of the book was the mysterious Writer and he provided the best ploy twist of the whole book.

Good for a laugh and great for a rainy weekend, this lighthearted book is sure to please!
Londonmabel Mabel
Aug 06, 2010 Londonmabel Mabel rated it liked it
Recommends it for: light read, women's fic
Recommended to Londonmabel by: found in Bargain section
When I was about 1/4 into this book, I almost decided to speed read it (and I did skip a whole chapter) because I just didn't feel engaged with the heroine's life. But then the monkey arrived, and that drew me back in. Then the rest of the book was great! I really enjoyed it, and might track down the 2nd one. (I think both are out of print.)
Chrissy Wissler
Mar 06, 2009 Chrissy Wissler rated it liked it
Not as funny as the second book, this one was still extremely enjoyable. Holly gets into so many embarrassing situations, so out of control and unreal, the entire cast of characters simply adds to the craziness. If you want a good laugh with a slight mixture of romance, I suggest tracking this one down. For even more laughs though, pick up Royce's "Monkey Star."
Blair Conrad
Jun 03, 2011 Blair Conrad rated it it was ok
Shelves: bought, new, fiction
A few chuckles, but ultimately disappointing. The characters were all caricatures - usually there's at least one normal person in these kinds of books. And there was no flow - the whole thing seemed to be just a succession of unrelated skits, barely tied together by the fact that they happened to the same person.
It was a quick read, though.
Oct 14, 2010 Kourtney rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. As much of the book strongly advised against owning a monkey for a pet, I have to say I really really want a monkey! My dog won't allow it but I can dream. I can't wait to read the second book!
Starla B
Dec 28, 2011 Starla B rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. The main character annoyed me at times by really letting everyone walk all over her, but she eventually won me over. I loved all of the animals, and the wacky situations that seemed to occur every five minutes. I am excited to see what will happen in the next book.
Nov 24, 2014 Rebekkila rated it really liked it
I have not read a silly chick lit book in a long time. Maybe it is a 3 star book, but I haven't read something like this in months. I wish there was a spin-off with some of the characters in this book. It was a nice light read.
Dmcolligan Colligan
Aug 11, 2010 Dmcolligan Colligan rated it really liked it
This book was a surprise hit for me, laugh out loud funny and a story so wacky you really have to keep reading!
May 01, 2008 Joe rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Joe by: My wife
Very funny book about a pet sitter, hairdresser, carpenter nd transcriptionist that cannot stay out of trouble.
Apr 16, 2009 Ruth rated it really liked it
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! [breath:] ha ha ha ha ha ha hee heeeee heee ha ha {inhale} {gasp} hahahahahaha...

Nothing 'learned' but a great guffaw body cleanse...... I'm still smiling........
Jul 12, 2008 Tara rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: women
Recommended to Tara by: Sara
Shelves: chick-lit, fiction
This was a fun book to read. It took me some time to get to know the characters, but once I did I really enjoyed the book.
Dec 23, 2011 Jackie rated it liked it
Shelves: free-books
3.5 stars. I would have liked more character development with Holly. Her supporting cast and love interest are very colorful and fresh but lack dimension.
Jun 26, 2007 Jane rated it it was ok
obviously I bought this book for its cover. it was entertaining and a fast read but a bit shallow and predictable.
Jun 21, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Laugh out loud funny! There were so many crazy scenarios that kept popping up - I couldn't help but chuckle. Quick and easy read, especially good for a vacation book.
Chipmonkey79 Shampton
I didn't get very far into this book. It felt like I was reading a sub-par Tina Fey movie, and there is just too much really good stuff out there I would rather read.
Aug 04, 2008 Carey rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It was really easy to read and a fun book. I liked the main characters crazy life and the twists in the plot.
Dec 19, 2015 Melody rated it it was amazing
This book was so much fun. Quirky characters who seem totally real and are very engaging. It your looking for a lighthearted read that will make you laugh, this is it.
Nov 16, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Excellent light hearted book. I read this shortly after I broke my back. It pulled me out of my depression. I recommend checking it out!
Sep 12, 2014 Melissa rated it liked it
Chick lit about a woman who does odd jobs and ends up taking care of a monkey.
Lew rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2016
Mar 31, 2016 Shagundala rated it did not like it
Tedious and contrived
Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2013
Keith Thomas
Keith Thomas rated it did not like it
Sep 12, 2014
  • Miss Bubbles Steals the Show
  • Fat Chance
  • Sleeping Over
  • Cyber Cinderella
  • Do They Wear High Heels in Heaven?
  • Tallulahland
  • Hating Valentine's Day
  • Time Off for Good Behavior
  • Solo
  • Crossing the Line (Jane Taylor, #2)
  • Dining With The Doctor: The Unauthorized Whovian Cookbook
  • Namedropper
  • Bombshell
  • Northanger Abbey and Angels and Dragons
  • The Jinx (Rachel Benjamin, #2)
  • The Cinderella Rules (Glass Slipper, Inc., #1)
  • Coffee, Tea or Me?
Brenda Scott Royce’s books, like her life, mix monkeys and mayhem. Her
novels MONKEY LOVE(2006) and MONKEY STAR (2007) chronicle the misadventures of Holly Heckerling, a stand-up comedienne who befriends a monkey while juggling career and romantic entanglements. A former book editor and chimpanzee caregiver, Brenda is editor of the Los Angeles Zoo's award-winning magazine, ZOO VIEW. She is a contri
More about Brenda Scott Royce...