Start by marking “The Torchwood Archives” as Want to Read:
The Torchwood Archives

The Torchwood Archives

Separate from the Government. Outside the police. Beyond the United Nations. Founded by Queen Victoria in 1879, the Torchwood Institute has long battled against alien threats to the British Empire.

Beautifully designed throughout with full-color photos and original illustrations, his insider's look into the secret world of Torchwood features in-depth background on personnel

Published December 9th 2008 by Random House UK (first published November 20th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Torchwood Archives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Torchwood Archives

Hot Cute Girly Geek
Melinda
Jul 14, 2010 Melinda rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
I read this from cover to cover. I liked the way it was set up with behind the scenes extras and information about each of the characters. I really wanted to buy it because I was nerding hard on the show. I know that it's a bit of an episode guide but I didn't realize it at the time. It didn't read like a episode guide to me but I was familiar enough with the general show to follow along.

I think that the book gives more perspective on the characters and I really love that it's from the perspect
Beth
Oct 14, 2014 Beth rated it really liked it
You'll only need to read this if you're a huge fan of the show. It's written as an outsider's research about Torchwood and the team, having been taken and being placed in the archives. It also provides some background information that isn't available or not as easily recognized within the show itself. If you're a fanfictiom writer that tries to stay close to canon, this can help. It can also help map out timelines, though there has yet to be a finitive timeline set for the series, even after its ...more
Dana
May 31, 2013 Dana rated it really liked it
Of course you're not going to read this unless you are a fan of the show. If you are a fan of the show, you will like this. It's nothing special, I will admit that, but it does add a bit more to the world that we miss so dearly. I like the concept behind this campanion piece much more than other companion books I've read and think that overall, they do a great job. Jack's Captain's log is easily the highlight of the book.

For more on it, visit here http://papertales4u.blogspot.com/2013...
Kristina
Jan 12, 2016 Kristina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: torchwood
This book made me smile a lot. It was fun seeing Captain Jack's notes on the episodes, especially all the little references that brought details back to mind. The notes and reports by the rest of the team also brought their voices to life - Owen's scathing tongue and Ianto's dry humour particularly.
Only one disappointment - the newspaper articles on p95 just contained repeated paragraphs. Why bother putting them in?
Daniel Kukwa
Feb 27, 2011 Daniel Kukwa rated it liked it
Shelves: torchwood
As a connoisseur of behind-the-scenes books and program guides, I find this volume to be a bit less effective than the verisimilitude one finds in books such as the Star Trek "tech" manuals. A little too earnest for my tastes, although younger fans and newcomers will find a great deal to enjoy. It's certainly put together with a great deal of care and attention...and Gary Russell's enthusiasm for the material is contagious.
Travis
Jun 17, 2015 Travis rated it it was ok
Shelves: doctor-who, history
Kind of fun, but basically a glorified episode guide.
As much as it was fun to get some gaps in Torchwood history filled in, it also exposes the huge gaps in TW history/continuity/ any hope of it making sense.

Like the TV show, this book is okay, full of good ideas, that could have been great, but doesn't quite make it.

Plus, reading this reminds you how much the TV show avoided any connection to Doctor Who, so when it references DW, it just raises more questions than it answers.

Lizabeth Tucker
Feb 25, 2013 Lizabeth Tucker rated it really liked it
A great reference book, done like a scrapbook compiled by the investigative author, that covers Series 1 of Torchwood as well as the first book. All the Captain's reports are included, photos, and the various types of reports and clippings that would be natural to gather if you were investigating the mystery that is Torchwood.

If you're a fan of the show, do yourself a favor and get your hardback copy of this book.
Madeleine Kooyman
May 30, 2015 Madeleine Kooyman rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Torchwood Nerds
Shelves: favorites
Beautiful expansion to the series!!!
Rebecca Honeycutt
Yet another multimedia foray into geekdom...read only if you're a hardcore Dr. Who/Torchwood fan.
Carla
Feb 24, 2009 Carla rated it it was ok
This will only appeal to fans of the Torchwood series, and quite honestly it doesn't provide much more than what one gets from watching the show.
Alesia
Apr 08, 2009 Alesia rated it really liked it
A thoroughly enjoyable companion piece to the first 2 series.
Nicole
Aug 13, 2009 Nicole rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book and the background info it provided.
Denna
Denna rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2011
Claire Watson
Claire Watson rated it liked it
Nov 25, 2011
Lewis Schofield
Lewis Schofield rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2012
Megan
Megan rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2012
Emma
Emma rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2012
SheepOh
SheepOh rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2016
Befs
Befs rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2012
Tricia Phoenix
Tricia Phoenix rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2014
Natasha Standley
Natasha Standley rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2011
Siobhan
Siobhan rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2014
Noran Miss Pumkin
Noran Miss Pumkin rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2011
Saskia
Saskia rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2016
shay
shay rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2010
Stacey
Stacey rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2013
Darcy Anderson
Darcy Anderson rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2015
Nanette van der Linde
Nanette van der Linde rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2015
Nic Boenig
Nic Boenig rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2013
  • Pack Animals (Torchwood, #7)
  • Skypoint (Torchwood, #8)
  • Torchwood: The Sin Eaters
  • Something in the Water (Torchwood, #4)
  • Bay of the Dead (Torchwood, #11)
  • The House That Jack Built (Torchwood, #12)
  • Risk Assessment (Torchwood, #13)
  • Trace Memory (Torchwood, #5)
  • Consequences (Torchwood, #15)
  • Into the Silence (Torchwood, #10)
  • Torchwood: In the Shadows
  • Torchwood: Everyone Says Hello
  • Torchwood: Rift War
  • Slow Decay (Torchwood, #3)
  • Torchwood: Hidden
  • Exodus Code (Torchwood, #19)
Gary Russell is one of the script editing team for Doctor Who, Torchwood and The Sarah Jane Adventures, and the author of many novels and reference books in the Doctor Who range. A former editor of Doctor Who Magazine, he also was the producer of Doctor Who audio dramas for Big Finish Productions for eight years. He was also an actor and is best known for his role as Dick in the 1978 television se ...more
More about Gary Russell...