Start by marking “Southern Comforts” as Want to Read:
Southern Comforts

Southern Comforts

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  183 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Chelsea, the official biographer of a fashion and etiquette expert, digs into her subject's past to find out who may be trying to kill her and finds herself in the middle of a potentially romantic and dangerous investigation. Original.
Published September 1st 1996 by Mira Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Southern Comforts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Southern Comforts

Willow Brook
Feb 22, 2013 Willow Brook rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
I tried to give this two stars but I just can't. I almost always enjoy JoAnn Ross, including some of her earlier books, but this 1996 clunker was a big disappointment. The writing is so much poorer than I expect from this author, perhaps because it was an early work. The whole book felt "old school" and out of date. It didn't help that the h was a celebrity journalist so there were distracting references to Princess Di and JFK Jr.'s current adventures, not to mention couples like Bruce Willis an ...more
Kristi
Jan 06, 2014 Kristi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-kindle-books
Celebrity journalist Chelsea Cassidy is hand picked by Roxanne Scarbrough to write her biography. This takes Chelsea to Raintree, GA where she is reunited with her college lover Cash Beaudine. Roxanne has several skeletons in her well-organized closet and as the skeletons come out lives are at risk.

I had such high expectations for this book. From the description I read on Amazon it sounded like a juicy read. A Martha Stewart-like Diva of Domesticity, a journalist hand picked to write the biograp
Nicole
I was attracted to this novel because of the setting. The south, small town country life. The murder mystery aspect also intrigued me.

This reads like a harlequin intrigue novel but the summary is deceiving. I thought that there would be more focus on the murder mystery and Roxanne's past. But the entire book is centered on Chelsea and her love life. The different persepectives was great and it leaned towards the "who done it" feel. Normally, I have an issue when there are many perspectives invol
Wendy
I enjoyed this book from start to finish. Joann Ross is a real magician with words.

Chelsea Cassidy grew up in a privileged world in New York city. Now she is all grown up and writing celebrity stories for a magazine. She is offered a job writing an autobiography about a domestic diva with a temper. But when visiting the diva's home in Georgia, she runs into someone she didn't ever plan to see again, but couldn't really get out of her mind.

Cash Baulaine is a man come home after years away makin
Trudy Miner
Chelsa Cassidy, freelance writer, has landed the assignment of a lifetime, writing the biography of Roxanne Scarbrough, a Southern answer to good taste and an empire built on it. Only Chelsea knows what Roxanne is like when the cameras aren't rolling and doesn't want to do it until, she's reunited with her college love Cash Beaudine, the architect on the project to restore Belle Terre to its former glory. Unfortunately, as the sparks fly between Chelsea and Cash, she discovers that someone wants ...more
Annette Mardis
JoAnn Ross' novel, first published in 1996, introduces readers to a Southern Martha Stewart-esque character named Roxanne Scarborough, whose diva disposition is only eclipsed by her desire to hide her real identify from her legions of fans.
Her obsession to restore and renovate an aging Tara-like mansion brings together old flames Cash Beaudine, a sharecropper's son who has climbed the ladder from rebel to respectability as an architect to the monied set, and celebrity interviewer Chelsea Cassidy
Carol Stanley-Snow
Such a good read!! Romance, mystery, intrigue and a crazy secret!! Enjoyed this one...
Michele
Jun 26, 2014 Michele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sin, scandal and murder; perfect poolside reading.
Tammy Pickens
Apr 08, 2014 Tammy Pickens rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good book. I like Joann Ross.
Dianna
Jan 24, 2013 Dianna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The more I read of this author, even going back and reading her older stuff like this one, I like. This one was really hard to put down. Though at times I felt I may have read it before years ago I don't really think so. There just may have been some similar elements to other books I have read. I find this happening every now and then the more books I read.
Lisa
Jan 16, 2013 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book was pretty good but was not satisfied at all with the way the author ended it. When everything was revealed at the end (which was good) the story ended without tying up any of it. Felt like I was left hanging out in left field.
Jagati Bagchi
Mar 03, 2010 Jagati Bagchi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
The book has all the ingredients of a good read. A thrilling romance, if one can call it. The romance of Cash and Chelsea is delightful but the book is more about success and failure of relationships.
B.T. Hoskins
Pretty good read. I'm not really a romance fan, so it says a lot that I could read the whole book. Nice book to sit back and relax the weekend away with.
Jackie
Jun 11, 2013 Jackie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Though I am still reading and will finish this book (I think) it is really mental popcorn. Characters aren't very believable, except for the mean ones.
Sheila
Jul 21, 2012 Sheila rated it it was ok
I just don't care for a book where the man states, "We're going to be lovers" and the woman simply falls in line with that thinking. Where is her gumption?
Jann Briesacher
Jan 30, 2009 Jann Briesacher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The ending took me totally by surprise! Really enjoyed Chelsea and Cash... would have enjoyed more "details" of their romance.
Lori Baldi
Aug 17, 2011 Lori Baldi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This book had likeable characters but I wasn't crazy about the plot or the setting. Not for me.
Olivia Gould
Jan 29, 2013 Olivia Gould rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
easy to read, and nice story.
Marcia Antol
Marcia Antol marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Jennifer Blackburn
Jennifer Blackburn marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Ida Silva
Ida Silva rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2016
Charles A. Post
Charles A. Post rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2016
Patricia
Patricia marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
brandy baldwin
brandy baldwin rated it it was ok
Jun 17, 2016
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Nickleb
Nickleb rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
  • A Dance with Danger (Lovers and Rebels, #2; Tang Dynasty, #5)
  • Sins of the Mother
  • Web of Darkness
  • To Tempt a Viking (Forbidden Vikings, #2)
  • Siren's Treasure
  • 150 Pounds: A Novel of Waists and Measures
  • The V-Word: True Stories About First-Time Sex
  • Unforgiven (Beartooth, Montana, #1)
  • Truly, Madly, Deeply (Trueblood Texas)
  • Night Scents
  • When I'm with You
  • Eternally (Guardians #1)
  • Violets in the Snow (Dukes Trilogy, #1)
  • The Burning Point
  • The Duke's Indiscretion (Duke Trilogy, #3)
  • Nightrose (Wyoming Frontier, #2)
  • A Christmas Scandal (Christmas, #2)
  • The Surgeon (Canadian Mounties, #2)
New York Times bestselling author JoAnn Ross has written over a hundred novels for a bunch of publishers. Two of her titles have been excerpted in Cosmo and her books have also been published by the Doubleday, Rhapsody, Literary Guild, and Mystery Guild book clubs.

A member of the Romance Writers of America's Honor Roll of best-selling authors, she's won several awards, including Romantic Times's
More about JoAnn Ross...