Southern Comforts

Southern Comforts

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  122 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Welcome to Raintree, Georgia. To her fans, Roxanne Scarbrough is the Genteel Southern Queen of good taste--she's built an empire around the how-to's of gracious living. To her critics--and there are many--Roxanne is Queen Bitch. And now somebody wants her dead. Enjoy some southern comforts--if you can take the heat! From the author of Confessions.
Published September 1st 1996 by Mira Books (first published 1996)

Kristi
Celebrity journalist Chelsea Cassidy is hand picked by Roxanne Scarbrough to write her biography. This takes Chelsea to Raintree, GA where she is reunited with her college lover Cash Beaudine. Roxanne has several skeletons in her well-organized closet and as the skeletons come out lives are at risk.

I had such high expectations for this book. From the description I read on Amazon it sounded like a juicy read. A Martha Stewart-like Diva of Domesticity, a journalist hand picked to write the biograp...more
Wendy
I enjoyed this book from start to finish. Joann Ross is a real magician with words.

Chelsea Cassidy grew up in a privileged world in New York city. Now she is all grown up and writing celebrity stories for a magazine. She is offered a job writing an autobiography about a domestic diva with a temper. But when visiting the diva's home in Georgia, she runs into someone she didn't ever plan to see again, but couldn't really get out of her mind.

Cash Baulaine is a man come home after years away makin...more
Trudy Miner
Chelsa Cassidy, freelance writer, has landed the assignment of a lifetime, writing the biography of Roxanne Scarbrough, a Southern answer to good taste and an empire built on it. Only Chelsea knows what Roxanne is like when the cameras aren't rolling and doesn't want to do it until, she's reunited with her college love Cash Beaudine, the architect on the project to restore Belle Terre to its former glory. Unfortunately, as the sparks fly between Chelsea and Cash, she discovers that someone wants...more
Willow Brook
I tried to give this two stars but I just can't. I almost always enjoy JoAnn Ross, including some of her earlier books, but this 1996 clunker was a big disappointment. The writing is so much poorer than I expect from this author, perhaps because it was an early work. The whole book felt "old school" and out of date. It didn't help that the h was a celebrity journalist so there were distracting references to Princess Di and JFK Jr.'s current adventures, not to mention couples like Bruce Willis an...more
Annette Mardis
JoAnn Ross' novel, first published in 1996, introduces readers to a Southern Martha Stewart-esque character named Roxanne Scarborough, whose diva disposition is only eclipsed by her desire to hide her real identify from her legions of fans.
Her obsession to restore and renovate an aging Tara-like mansion brings together old flames Cash Beaudine, a sharecropper's son who has climbed the ladder from rebel to respectability as an architect to the monied set, and celebrity interviewer Chelsea Cassidy...more
Michele
Sin, scandal and murder; perfect poolside reading.
Tammy Pickens
Pretty good book. I like Joann Ross.
Dianna
The more I read of this author, even going back and reading her older stuff like this one, I like. This one was really hard to put down. Though at times I felt I may have read it before years ago I don't really think so. There just may have been some similar elements to other books I have read. I find this happening every now and then the more books I read.
Lisa
Book was pretty good but was not satisfied at all with the way the author ended it. When everything was revealed at the end (which was good) the story ended without tying up any of it. Felt like I was left hanging out in left field.
Jagati Bagchi
The book has all the ingredients of a good read. A thrilling romance, if one can call it. The romance of Cash and Chelsea is delightful but the book is more about success and failure of relationships.
B.T. Hoskins
Pretty good read. I'm not really a romance fan, so it says a lot that I could read the whole book. Nice book to sit back and relax the weekend away with.
Jackie
Though I am still reading and will finish this book (I think) it is really mental popcorn. Characters aren't very believable, except for the mean ones.
Sheila
I just don't care for a book where the man states, "We're going to be lovers" and the woman simply falls in line with that thinking. Where is her gumption?
Jann Briesacher
The ending took me totally by surprise! Really enjoyed Chelsea and Cash... would have enjoyed more "details" of their romance.
Lori Baldi
This book had likeable characters but I wasn't crazy about the plot or the setting. Not for me.
Olivia Gould
easy to read, and nice story.
Harlequin Books
Category: Suspense
Ann
Ann added it
Jul 21, 2014
Dina
Dina marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Karen
Karen is currently reading it
Jun 28, 2014
Karolina
Karolina marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Desi Alonso
Desi Alonso marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Merete Aasen
Merete Aasen marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
New York Times bestselling author JoAnn Ross has written around a hundred novels for a bunch of publishers. Two of her titles have been excerpted in Cosmopolitan magazine and her books have also been published by the Doubleday, Rhapsody, Literary Guild, and Mystery Guild book clubs.

A member of the Romance Writers of America's Honor Roll of best-selling authors, she's won several awards, including...more
More about JoAnn Ross...
Freefall (High Risk #1) The Homecoming (Shelter Bay, #1) One Summer (Shelter Bay, #2) On Lavender Lane (Shelter Bay, #3) Shattered (High Risk, #3)