Start by marking “Once and Always” as Want to Read:
Once and Always

Once and Always (Sequels #1)

4.22  ·  Rating Details ·  19,246 Ratings  ·  717 Reviews
Across the vast ocean sailed Victoria Seaton, a free-spirited American beauty left suddenly orphaned and alone. Eager to claim her long-lost heritage, she was amazed at the formal elegance of Wakefield, the sumptuous English estate of her distant cousin...the notorious Lord Jason Fielding. Sought after at plays, operas, and balls by London's most fashionable ladies, Jason ...more
Published January 1st 1987 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about Once and Always, please sign up.

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE)

TRIGGER WARNING : RAPE, swearing & violence in general

► One thing I'm certain of is that this book isn't a romance. No. It's a sickening portray of a relationship where abuse in all its forms is romanticized, including rape.

What kind of abuse? Please chose! Be my guest! Rape? Physical violence? Psychological harassment? Just fucking chose because it contains all those and more.

➸ As I write, Once and Always has an average rating of 4.22 here on GR, with 7,149 people who think that it's a roma
Mo
Dec 01, 2012 Mo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

LOVED IT AGAIN, THE SECOND TIME AROUND

*********************

ORIGINAL REVIEW, on first reading ...

"Loving someone who doesn’t love you is hell! Don’t ever let anyone convince you that you can be happy with someone who doesn’t love you"

Words of wisdom from Papa!

Quick question before I do my review - Why, oh, why do a lot of you NOT read Historical Romance? You are missing out on such a great genre. I know some of you like your dark, gritty reads but you can do both. I like, SUSPENSE, M/M, ROMANTI
Keertana
Jan 30, 2013 Keertana rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Keertana by: Anna
Shelves: why-the-hype
You might as well get out your popcorn, because this promises to be entertaining. Over the past few days I have been stressed - incredibly stressed, and rightly so. As such, I didn't want to pick up any novels that required too much though, just mere enjoyment, and as I had enjoyed historical romance so much just a few months back when I binged on Lisa Kleypas's Hathaways Series, I decided to give some more titles a try this week. Needless to say, this has not been a particularly successful ende ...more
Chantal ❤️
5 ALWAYS STARS

This is one book that I really don't care what others say, IT ROCKED FOR ME!

This was the amazing love story of Victoria and Jason. Two very different individuals who find themselves together because of their shared "Uncle."
Victoria is a sweet stunningly beautiful innocent red head who has to move from America to England following the death of her loving parents.

In those days, a young unmarried lady was not allowed to be responsible for herself. She needed an elderly aunt or male f
Mishelle LaBrash
Dec 28, 2009 Mishelle LaBrash rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is the one.. The one that started my chemical embalance towards everything historical romance...

I was an avid reader, in elementary school. (Anyone out there remember Fear Street? lol) Mostly horror, mystery and suspense. Anne Rice and Stephen King ranking among my top authors.

Then life happened, and I stopped picking up books for well over a decade.

2 1/2 years ago, I started a new job, and met many new people, making friends among my co-workers. One, of course being Rhonda Krieger, a fe
Karen
Jan 08, 2014 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
5 STARS ❤❤❤❤❤
OH... HOW I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!

[image error]  photo 2523d7e5574c68b90902ce8b5d7f2acb.jpg

And yet another masterpiece of historical romance. And what an emotional roller coaster ride it was. The passion and the angst are just dripping from every page. I was completely sucked into the story from beginning to end. These books… words cannot express my love for them.

“Don’t ever let anyone convince you that you can be happy with someone who doesn’t love you.

[image error]  photo 0f8ae679-4f82-49c2-9559-fc9d8371ef54.jpg

Victoria Seaton was born and raised in Portage, New York in
♥~♥Geri Reads ♥~♥
I loved this one when I first read it, oh, about 18 years ago...give or take. Unfortunately, I'm not too crazy about it now. I still liked it but the constant misunderstanding, Victoria's wishy-washiness, Jason's cruelty grated on me. For example, Victoria's penchant for putting herself in danger would have been fine with me years ago, but now, oh my gawd! I can't even. And Jason Fielding felt unnecessarily cruel to me.

Still, I enjoyed this one. The writing did feel dated but it's Judith McNaugh
Susanne
Jun 09, 2012 Susanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Susanne by: ❤Summer
Shelves: genre-historical

I've found a potentially new favorite author, but unfortunately not a new favorite book. There was so much going for this book, but in the end I am still battling over how many stars it deserves.

I really don't know how to explain any of this without spoiling the book. So beware, there might be mild spoilers below. It was a high-quality, well-written regency romance. There were parts that truly sparkled and at one point I was sure it was going to make it to the top.

There was an unmistakable aura
TJ
Aug 16, 2010 TJ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In terms of writing ability and talent, Judith McNaught will always be a 5 star for me. Her gift for drawing the reader into the very emotions of the characters is amazing! As is her ability to reveal all the layers of the soul, bit by bit until discovery and redemption are not only found but felt.

As with all things, with great gifts come great responsibilities, however. If we, the readers, are drawn into the heart of a tortured soul, we need also be allowed to experience the process of redempti
Shawna
Jul 09, 2010 Shawna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of angsty historical/regency romance & tortured, cold heroes
3 stars – Historical/Regency Romance

This is my first McNaught read and it certainly twisted my emotions. I admired the heroine’s kindness, strength, and fortitude, but the hero was an utter, unforgivable ass. Yes, he suffered a horribly abusive childhood, a manipulative first wife, and agonizing grief, and for that I understood his cynical, detached coldness. But Jason’s continual abominable treatment of Victoria and the repeated misunderstandings were exasperating and exhausting, and he just n
Daniella
Jan 20, 2016 Daniella rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
*breathes in*
*breathes out*
Oh, boy. Hate me all you want, but this story was utter bullshit to me.

(Note: Emphasis on the "me" part, people. Before you slit my wrists and burn me at the stake, I want to make it clear that this is based on how I feel about the story. My opinions do not invalidate yours, so if you can't tolerate negative comments about this book, by all means don't read this review.)

Manipulation. RAPE. Cheating. Verbal abuse. Violence. These are definitely elements of a great ro
Sophie ♥
Feb 25, 2013 Sophie ♥ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical romance readers, JM fans
***Revised Version of Earlier Review***

Rate: 5+ stars

This is my second Judith McNaught book and I loved it just as much as I loved the first. After reading one of her contemporary romantic suspense novels and now one of her historicals, I have to say I'm blown away by the talent she has for switching between genres so beautifully. Usually an author's style of writing limits them to a certain genre and when they try to change genres it usually isn't that effortless... but wow. Judith McNaught i
Océano de libros
1815. Nueva York. Victoria Seaton queda huérfana y es enviada a vivir a Inglaterra con uno de sus parientes, allí conocerá lo distinta que es la sociedad de lo que ella estaba acostumbrada en América. Una joven inocente y poco versada que se las tendrá que ver con Jason Fielding, un hombre frío e impasible, entre ellos surgirá una relación muy especial.
Este libro lo vi en una recomendación en el facebook del blog “A la cama con… un libro” y me llamó la atención y cierto es que me ha encantado.
Duchess Nicole
No one is more surprised than I that I didn't LOVE this book like the other McNaught books I've read. The relationship between Jason and Victoria just rubbed me wrong. I didn't like Jason as a "hero". His past was alluded to for a large part of the story, but not spelled out until the end. By that time, I was convinced that he was such an ass that nothing about the events leading up to his relationship with Victoria were going to change my mind. Just because you had a rough childhood doesn't giv ...more
Shari Kay
3.75 ✭

I have so many feelings about this book: nostalgia...anger...disappointment...heartache...happiness...longing.

First let me say this is a reread for me. I have super fond memories of this book, as I do about all McNaught's HR's, but was afraid to reread it. Afraid I wouldn't feel the same about a book I haven't read in over a decade. I knew it was one of the books she wrote that my now older self may have major problems with. So I went into this read with a lot of trepidation. I wanted to l
Floripiquita
May 22, 2017 Floripiquita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Después de varios libros de contemporánea tocaba volver al romance histórico y no puedo haber acertado más con la elección, gracias a "A la cama con un libro".

Mi primer libro de esta autora me ha encantado y dejado con ganas de más. Entonces, ¿por qué no darle las 5 estrellas? Por algunas acciones de Jason, que aunque entiendo que eran algo considerado como normal en la época en que transcurre la acción para mí son imperdonables, y el poco juego que saca la autora al prometido americano de la p
Zeek
Once and Always is an earlier release for Judith McNaught and though I know I've read it before it's been so long, I had forgotten all about it. Because of this, it felt brand new again. Re-reading Once and Always was such a pleasure, because it still holds up- after all these years- and it packs a powerful emotional punch. (Although, I must admit, probably not so much now as compared to back in the day, because so many authors have copied her style.)

Jason Fielding, embittered by a marriage gone
Carissa
Nov 22, 2015 Carissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fav-books
I simply loved it!!!
MBR
Judith McNaught is one of the most revered authors in the romance genre, and with good reason. Her books have turned many a romantic soul into romance readers, giving them all something to dream, sigh and moon over. I have read all the published works by Judith McNaught to-date and loved almost each and every single one of them. I have revisited the books that I consider my favorites many a time. Most of those re-reads took place before I established my blog in 2009. So here goes, a review for O ...more
Esther
Last JM read for a while, my binge is over. :)))

And as always she delivered a beautiful love story.
KC
Dramatic, passionate and romantic!

Richard

I first read this Regency historical romance when I discovered it in my early twenties, and am finally writing a review. It's one of my favorite romances ever which is a big deal for me 'cause I don't have too many 5-star books on my bookshelf. It contains everything I enjoy: sympathetic, vibrantly-realized characters (all of them, even the secondary ones); evocative writing that contains loads of humor, passion, and angst; and, of course, a memorable, swoon-wo
Ivana Azap Feješ
Second reading on 2016/03/21

Read it again, cried again, laughed again, fell in love again.. How is she doing that?!!! :D

First reading on 2015/12/16
I've found a potentially new favorite author, and fortunately a new good book - this book of Mrs. McNaught made me want to read rest of her books (but I will have to be satisfied with the one that I have ;)).

Update: having had a day to think about it, the book is definitely growing on me, so I gave it a 5 star; still wished there had been more closure
Piper
Feb 11, 2017 Piper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
LOVED, LOVED, LOVED it!!!!!!
Rachel
Oct 20, 2010 Rachel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Carolina
May 26, 2015 Carolina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una historia muy bonita con unos protagonistas que se merecían un final más decente, con un epílogo apropiado, y no ese final tan escueto.
Amber
Sep 15, 2015 Amber rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So I've been finished with this book for a few days now. I just wanted to give myself time to mull it over before deciding on my rating. The truth of the matter is, I didn't like this book...not until about 85%...and for a book to be just NOT GOOD for 85%, that's just too much.

I will warn you that this review will contain some mild spoilers...or just spoilers that I'm not going to mark, but if you want to read why I would stay away from this story, read on. You've been warned.

So first, I will sa
Katharina
Jul 04, 2015 Katharina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, regency, love
Reread. Weirdly a total five star read for me this time
around. Will rewrite my original review.

Update: having had a week to think about it, the book is definitely growing on me, so I added a star to my rating; still wished there had been more closure.

I am not sure with this one- I liked it, no surprises there, it's a McNaught after all and I adore her books, but something didn't feel quite right for me.

I finished the book feeling that something was amiss.
That feeling started to really surface
Célia Loureiro
Voltei a lê-lo, em Inglês, há duas noites no computador.
Já não me recordava da personagem do Jason, tão atormentado devido à odiosa primeira mulher e à tragédia que levou ao fim desse casamento.
Também não me lembrava da genuína pureza da Victoria, do seu carácter meigo, romântico, e do seu orgulho que a leva a querer trabalhar pelo seu posto na casa dos Fielding.

Estou feliz de saber que vai ser em Português, estou louca por lê-lo na minha língua.

14/09/2014

Ao final de se ler centenas de livros, a
  • Lions and Lace (Van Alen Sisters #1)
  • The Duke (Knight Miscellany, #1)
  • Texas Glory (Leigh Brothers Texas Trilogy, #2)
  • The Lion's Lady (Crown's Spies, #1)
  • Lord of Scoundrels (Scoundrels, #3)
  • A Rose at Midnight
  • Flowers from the Storm
  • The Devil's Love
  • Because You're Mine (Capital Theatre, #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
  • Once in a Blue Moon
  • Night in Eden
  • Private Arrangements
You can find Judith McNaught in facebook: https://www.facebook.com/authorjudith...

Judith McNaught is a #1 New York Times Best-Selling Author, with more than forty million copies of her novels in print, in over eighty countries and more than thirty languages. She was also the first female executive producer at a CBS radio station. McNaught is credited with inventing the modern Regency Historical ro
More about Judith McNaught...

Sequels (3 books)
  • Something Wonderful (Sequels, #2)
  • Almost Heaven (Sequels, #3)

“(...)Did she really tell Roddy Carstairs she could outshoot him with his own pistol?"
"No," Jason said dryly. "She told him that if he made one more improper advance to her, she would shoot him- and if she missed, she would turn Wolf loose on him. And if Wolf didn't finish the job, she had every faith I would." Jason chuckled and shook his head. "It's the first time I've been nominated for the role of hero. I was a little crushed, however, to be second choice after the dog.”
49 likes
“I do not believe that grief is ever so great that it can not be contained within.” 48 likes