Silver Wings, Santiago Blue

Silver Wings, Santiago Blue

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  220 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Bestselling author Janet Dailey tells the exhilarating story of the first WASPs, the Woman Airforce Service Pilots, who risked their lives, their ambitions and their dreams to help the war effort during World War II.

Determined to win their wings in a man's world, four young women are united by their fearless passion for flying. From the rigors of military flight to their...more
Mass Market Paperback, First Pocket Books Paperback printing, 404 pages
Published July 15th 1985 by Pocket Books (first published 1984)

Tara Chevrestt
I have to read every WASP book I can get my hands on and normally despite the repetition.. (I already know the details of Camp David, the planes they flew, their training..) I love them. This one upon reaching the 100 page mark, however, began to irritate me and I bailed at 200.

Why: When the Houston class joins the Sweetwater class, you got a bunch of GROWN women acting like bratty high school girls.. "This is OUR table." OMG. Grow up. This whole bit of drama was stupid.

The second thing that ca...more
Glenn Call
The many wonderful reviews here reflect the story-telling power this book has.

The only thing I can add is a little background regarding the dedication "To Harriet "Tuffy" Call ..." etc.:

When she set out to write the book, Janet Dailey paid an extended visit to my mother former WASP Hariett "Tuffy" Call. It was late in my mother's colorful life when the book came out and from time to time, I'd ask her which of the characters was actually based on her memoirs.

My mother would smile a wistful smile...more
Jan Mcleod
This epic is a wonderful piece of historical fiction about the WASPs--Women's Army Service Pilots--who ferried planes for the Army, as well as other missons, even ones that other male pilots refused to fly. These women were volunteers but were given officer's status and privileges. Even so, they were not officially Army and were denied the benefits they deserved until 1977--years after they were disbanded due to prejudice (and jealousy).
The story centers around four main women, though there were...more
Linda Katzman
Did you ever dream of flying? For four women, the dream has come true. This fictional account of women in the military during the They are some of the first female pilots in the Women’s Air Command. Their job is to mostly to get planes and other supplies to the men who will fly them in combat missions during World War II. After going through training together, these women share a bond. They share their loves and losses, and the difficulties of living the life they have chosen. Should they quit a...more
Kshydog
Fascinating reading about the efforts it took for women to be recognized by the military as female pilots during WWII. The lives of Cappy, an army child with a military boyfriend; Marty a free-spirit type; and Mary Lynn with a husband in the war all seemed very real. The way the rich girl, Eden, behaved seemed far fetched except when she was with the mechanic.
KOMET
An outstanding, enthralling and engaging historical novel centered around the women who flew as Women Airforce Service Pilots (WASPs) for the U.S. Army Air Force (USAAF) during the Second World War.
Adriana Fogaça
As Moças de Azul.
Janet Dailey.
1987

Este romance com certeza é um dos mais realistas que Janet escreveu. Todas as estórias da autora são intensas, as emoções estão sempre à flor-da-pele, há reviravoltas e momentos de clímax.

Neste livro temos todos os sentimentos que normalmente estão presente, mas, a diferença está no final real. É tão realista que o "romance" fica em segundo plano, para termos uma aula da cultura patriarcal americana e de certa forma mundial.

Porque apesar do mundo ser mais democr...more
Ken Bickley
Janet Dailey was primarily a romance writer, and this book follows that pattern. It also is dotted with gratuitous steamy sex episodes. Nevertheless, the story of the WASP pilots who trained at Avenger Field in Sweetwater, Texas, is compellingly told. Women will find it more appealing than men, but the underlying story is important, and unfortunately largely forgotten today.
Mell
Just realized that I never actually wrote a review for this book.

Dailey's indepth look into the lives of American women serving as military pilots during WWII remains high on my list of historical fiction. SW, SB tells a great story about some the unsung heroes of the war, and details the hostility, danger, and challenges they faced along the way. Almost 20 years after reading, I can still remember devouring this novel and loving the women, many of whom were presented as brave and complex peopl...more
Barbra
Really enjoyed this book. Got right into the military way of life.

Back Cover Blurb:
Novel about the first WASP, the Womens Airforce Service Pilots, and their efforts in WWll. This is women performing men's jobs, in a man's world. In spite of disapproval of family, friends, and lovers, four women arrive in Sweetwater, Texas determined to earn the silver wings of an Airforce Pilot and the Santiago blue uniform of the WASPs.
Chanpreet
This book was something else. I really enjoyed learning about the history of women in aviation, if it was the abridged version. I can recall hearing of WASPs before, but I was truly ignorant of all they did during WWII. I admire how Ms.Dailey has paid tribute to those brave women and kept her story very realistic.
Lynn
One of the best books I've read. Set during WWII and focused on the WASP who were recruited to do domestic flying so our boys could fly missions overseas. I highly recommend this book especially if you find womens history of helping the home front during this war interesting!
Cris
I read this when it first came out because I was a huge fan of Dailey's at the time, and I thought it was the most fantastic book EVER! I haven't re-read it and probably won't, but it was really special to me at the time.
Chris
I read this book many years ago, but it always stayed with me. I found the story of the women pilots during WWII fascinating. I'm currently reading Flygirl, and it brought back memories of this book.
Neha Oberoi
I read this book when I was 15 and its stayed with me since. I loved the strong, fierce characters of the women and the recklessness with they push themselves to the forefront.
Beverly
Good story about the origins of women as professional aviators. Seems to be very well researched - the details check out with the World War II-era aviators I have talked to.
Elizabeth
One of my absolute favorites! This book has stayed with me for a long time, I love the characters and their fighting spirit.
Amanda
women flying in wwII time frame

amazing to me how backwards some of the thinking still was so recently in our history
Linse
The right week to read this book my sister sent. WASPs finally getting some regognition this week
Estelle
I read this book a very long time ago and it has still stuck with me. Loved it
Ksenia
Ksenia marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Jenni
Jenni added it
Jun 20, 2014
Abby
Abby marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • To Find a Mountain
  • The First Christmas of the War
  • Chattanooga
  • The Red Rooster
  • Patton: Ordeal and Triumph
  • The Titanic Disaster Hearings: The Official Transcripts of the 1912 Senate Investigation
  • Sophie and the Rising Sun
  • Camp Nine
  • Shepherd Avenue
  • Lord Of The Dance
  • The Lady of Stonewycke (Stonewycke Trilogy, #3)
  • Autumn Laing
  • The Exiles (The Australians, Vol. 1)
  • The Elevator
  • On Fire
  • Daybreak
  • Rising Tides
  • Wildflowers of Terezin
Janet Anne Haradon Dailey was an American author of numerous romance novels as Janet Dailey (her married name). Her novels have been translated into nineteen languages and have sold over 300 million copies worldwide.

Born in 1944 in Storm Lake, Iowa, she attended secretarial school in Omaha, Nebraska before meeting her husband, Bill. Bill and Janet worked together in construction and land developme...more
More about Janet Dailey...
This Calder Sky (Calder Saga #3) This Calder Range (Calder Saga #1) Calder Pride (Calder Saga #5) Stands A Calder Man (Calder Saga #2) Calder Born, Calder Bred (Calder Saga #4)