Start by marking “The Book of Names (Legends of Karac Tor, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Book of Names (Legends of Karac Tor, #1)

The Book of Names (Legends of Karac Tor #1)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  189 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Teen brothers Hadyn and Ewan Barlow are forced to adjust to a depressing new life when tragedy strikes their home. Then a secret Viking runestone opens the door to a world in peril, and they discover a crisis larger than their own pain.
Published June 20th 2008 by NavPress

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Names, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Names

J.L. Mbewe
Normally, I wouldn't have picked this book up because I don't like to read a fantasy that starts in our modern day world where you are then whisked away to another, fantastical world. But I did and I am glad I did. The characters felt real, the story is tight, the prose is well-written. I couldn't help but feel a little too much like Narnia in the beginning, but once the story is in motion it flows well and takes on a life of its own. I will be reading the rest in the series.
Jill Williamson
Review by Jill Williamson

Hayden and Ewan recently moved to rural Missouri. Their mother recently passed away, and they are grieving her loss and the loss of their old home. Hayden has been assigned the job of clearing the briar patch, and Hayden, for fun, has been clearing it by cutting tunnels into it. His brother Ewan offers to help one day. As they are working, four ravens approach carrying something. The birds drop their cargo in the briar patch and vanish. Hayden and Ewan discover four tube
T.C.
Review for The Bookshelf Reviews (bookshelfreviews.blogspot.com)

An excellent young-adult tale of mystery and fantasy, Briggs writes of brothers Haydn and Ewan Barlow, whose strange discovery of a rune-carved archway on their father's land leads to the entrance into a world of magic and wonder. Once found in the land, Karac Tor, the two are said to be destined for greatness, but only if they can survive the tragedies and battles that befall them while seeking their route back home. If they do liv
Dyllon
This is one of the best books I have read in quite a while. I suppose partly because I love a good fantasy, and this is most definitely a good one. There are some stock fantasy beings, like fairies, gnomes, monks with supernatural 'powers,' and very evil supernatural forces that must be stopped before they destroy everything. It doesn't matter if you are familiar with the tales or not: it's a great story. High adventure, drama, but some deeper meanings behind it all. It's one of those tales that ...more
Mandi Hall
Annie
First Look: This looked pretty interesting. Mainly because I like fantasy and am rather partial to brother-brother stories. Perhaps because I wrote one myself.

Setting: First off, why does every book character hate moving to the country? I live in a rural area, and I love it. I rather like not being hedged in by people on all sides. But it seems that book characters are only capable of liking to live in the city. Why does this happen?

Anyway, Karac Tor. It actually confused me a little. I could ne
Jim
It's always such a pleasure to find a new (to me) author who is able to craft compelling stories with rich backgrounds, real characters, and original settings. There is a depth to Mr. Briggs' writing that reminds me a bit of the usual suspects in this genre - Tolkien and Lewis - in that one senses there's much more to the history of Karac Tor than we're getting spelled out on the page. I haven't read the second book yet, so I can't speak for the continuation of the series, but at least in this f ...more
Fred Warren
In The Book of Names, by D. Barkley Briggs, two brothers, Hadyn and Ewan Barlow, stumble upon a portal to another world. The land of Karac Tor is in grave danger, and they are destined to play a role in its saving. Identity is everything in Karac Tor. The Book of Names contains the names and deeds of everyone born there. Evil forces want to erase those identities and plunge the land into a nightmare of despair and meaninglessness.

Hadyn and Ewan are reluctant to accept the task thrust upon them,
Anna Dye
Just as you think that our society is too futuristic, author D. Barkley Briggs spins a great tale of today’s life intermingled with fantasy. If you don’t believe that a regular young man like you could end up in a fantastic adventure and transported to another dimension it is because you have not read this book…
It involves two brothers that moved to a country setting after the death of their mother. The young men are the oldest of four boys with a younger set of twins. The oldest of them is Had
Rae
Mar 25, 2013 Rae rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2008
Reactions:
This book is an awesome beginner for a sure to be awesome series! While reading it, I kinda felt like it was a cross between The Door Within and then Beyond the Reflection's Edge. It's not that they have similar plot twists and stuff, it's just that the style of writing is similar and both have a lot of suspence!

In this story, there are technically four brothers but only two join the adventure this time round (Which means there will be more!!). The two borthers get sucked into another
mari
Nov 09, 2008 mari rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to mari by: Bostick Communications
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Ewan and Hadyn Barlow have just moved to a farm in Missouri with their twin brothers and father after the death of their mother. While clearing away a briar patch they find a stone arch carved with ancient runes. They discover that the arch is a magical portal to another world, the world of Karak Tor. Here they learn that they have been called to be Champions and save the world from evil and darkness brought by The Devourer and the witch, Nemesia. The boys, on their journey to find a way home, m ...more
Lori Twichell
I heard fabulous things about these books before I picked them up. Several highly respected readers/reviewers told me that I would very much enjoy these books. I went into this book with high expectations. Briggs’ story captured my imagination from page one. My sympathy with the boys and their father as they deal with their grief was instant and immediate. Being a lover of fantasy masters like Stephen Lawhead and Piers Anthony I was ready for adventure and I was not disappointed on that score. W ...more
Meg
While the author appears to have based the characters on himself and his sons and while his love and devotion to those characters is evident from page-one he said forgets the joy of his characters in the desire to culminate the new setting and the grander plot scheme, at which he barely succeeds. His strong characters carry the story forward but it is a trudging book. God for younger readers who will hopefully glean the worthwhile from the zombie-ridden doldrums of Nemesia's island.
Roswitha
This book would have been an interesting enough story, had I not lost interest after the first three pages. Any more, if I pick up a fantasy and find it's about a teenager, my interest starts to wane immediately, unless something indicates this teenager is going to be different from every other teenage hero in the fantasy genre. And this teenager certainly showed no promise; grumbling about his life pretty typically and only especially blatantly. And he did nothing later to set him apart from th ...more
K.M. Carroll
I had a hard time getting into Book of Names. Almost nothing happens in the first few chapters, except everyone whines about their dead mom and too much info is dumped. I didn't like the characters at all until I was halfway through. So much whining.

The other problem was the capitalization. I don't know if this was a Kindle issue only, but at least one sentence in every paragraph starts with a lowercase letter. Also the world name is written karac Tor, which annoyed me to death.

The characters ne
Theresa
This young adult fantasy was an very good read. It reminded me of a mixture of "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe" and "The Lord of the Rings" with a Celtic twist. I enjoyed the characters and they seem to be developing well. Since this is the first book in the series, I think the pacing is perfect - getting glimpses of backgrounds of some and still holding mysteries of others.

The storyline was good and used traveling to a different world where there is strife and evil. It contained everythin
Ji Mei ^_^
This book is similar to the Chronicles of Narnia, with hints of Lord of the Rings to it. Though it is quite similar, there is enough originality that you let that slide. The writing is simple to understand (no weird Old English references that make you read the sentence 10 times before you understand it), clean, and detailed. There are humorous parts and characters, especially since you have modern teenage boys with their sarcasm. It was shaky at first, but as I read on and read the many riddles ...more
Walt Reams
May 19, 2014 Walt Reams rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: noone
The story is pretty good, but the writing style did not appeal to me.

* too many pop culture references and too much current generation slang will cause this book to be irrelevant in a few years.

* incomplete and /or poorly structured sentences make this seem like a story outline that was never completed.

I liked the story, but it has too many flaws to keep my attention.
Cathrine Bonham
This book was a little hard to get into but once the action begins the story will consume you until the last page, beyond that actually because this book is the first in a series.

As with Narnia this book begins with the four Barlow brothers who have just moved from the city into a new house in the country. In their new back yard lies an ancient portal to another world. A world which they have been called to save. If you realy like Fantasies then that is all the information you should need in ord
Lauren
So fun! Celtic runes found in Missouri, mysterious links to Arthurian legends, and strong characters. Looking forward to finding the sequel!
Melissa Silvanus
I really enjoyed this book. Early on, it felt a little derivative, and it seemed like it might end up just being another Narnia copy-off. But it's not! The story gets better and better, and the climactic scene ROCKS. The blending of Celtic and Norse mythology is pretty clever. Ewan and Hadyn seem very real. (Ewan seems to be an extrovert, while Hadyn's an introvert. Their interactions are fun to read.) I'm definitely looking forward to reading the other books in the series.
Anne Gooch
I give this book 3.5 stars. I am new to the fantasy world and I did enjoy this book but at times I felt lost (I don't know if it was me or the book). I couldn't put the book down last night until I finished it and now I must find the next book in the series so I know what will happen.

I was able to get this book at my local Dollar General store for $3 and it was worth the price.
Irene O'neill
I enjoyed this young adult fantasy book. I found myself re-reading sentences occasionally, as they contained rather profound truths.

Unfortunately, too much time passed between the time I started the book and when I was able to get back to it, and I lost some of the flow. I think if I was to re-read it, I would find myself even more enthusiastic about this book and the series.
M.C. Pearson
D. Barkley Briggs has penned a rousing fantasy packed full of Norse and Celtic mythology with a hearty dose of Arthurian legend. With a wide range of emotions, he moved me from the sadness of loss to the giddiness of comic relief, all the way to the excitement of heart-pounding tension. Strap on your armor, pull out your sword, and get ready for an adventure.
Rachel
The fantasy and adventure were very good but I felt the book was a bit long and I didn't really conect with any other character except the main two. The other side characters all seemed to have similar personalities. But, I think the series can have some more interesting situations and adventures and I think I will be reading the other books.
Elizabeth
Among the best YA Christian fantasies I've read. More serious than The Door Within but not outright scary. Characters were good, writing was excellent except for the occasional obvious statement ("heaps of bones. Bones of dead things." Really? Never would have guessed.) I can't wait to see what happens in the next book.
Claudia Coleman
I just could not get into this book. I really tried. I enjoyed the basic concept of the story line, but I couldn't get past the constant pop culture references. It is obviously geared at a younger more mainstream audience.
Okie
I found the story to be labored and simplistic, and it didn't seem to connect very smoothly. Interesting premise, just without any pizazz for me. It's just too close to Madeleine L'Engle's series.
Suzy
This is part one of a trilogy of books written by my classmate Dean Briggs. I really enjoyed it and cant wait for the next one.
Ginger Ilami
Bit of a slow start but finished well! It is a book with deep emotions written into each character.
  • Blaggard's Moon (Prequel to the Trophy Chase Trilogy)
  • The Restorer's Journey
  • Dragons of the Valley (Valley of the Dragons, #2)
  • Kestrel's Midnight Song
  • Hunter Brown and the Secret of the Shadow (Codebearers, #1)
  • The Wolf of Tebron (The Gates of Heaven, #1)
  • Tears of a Dragon (Dragons in Our Midst, #4)
  • Daughter of Light (Follower of the Word #1)
  • Raven's Ladder (The Auralia Thread, #3)
  • Moonblood (Tales of Goldstone Wood, #3)
  • Rise of the Dibor
  • To Darkness Fled (Blood of Kings, #2)
  • North! or Be Eaten (The Wingfeather Saga, #2)
"Dean Barkley Briggs has worked in radio, marketing, and new product development. He also pastored for eleven years. After losing his beautiful wife at an early age, Briggs decided an epic fantasy adventure might help his four boys live courageously through their loss. The five books in The Legends of Karac Tor is the result, with Books 1, 2 and 3 releasing Spring and Fall of 2011. Briggs has sinc ...more
More about D. Barkley Briggs...
Corus the Champion (Legends of Karac Tor, #2) The Song of Unmaking (Legends of Karac Tor, #3) The Ravaged Realm (Legends of Karac Tor, #4)