The Dog Who Spoke with Gods

The Dog Who Spoke with Gods

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  187 ratings  ·  48 reviews
When Elizabeth, a young pre-med. student happens upon Damien, a dog being used in laboratory research on her campus, she has no way of knowing how drastically her life- and her beliefs- will be changed. Without meaning to, she slowly becomes drawn into the dog's fate and is soon torn between the love and respect she has come to feel for Damien and the sense of loyalty and...more
Published June 17th 2002 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 2001)

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth SteinMarley and Me by John GroganA Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce CameronWhere the Red Fern Grows by Wilson RawlsThe Call of the Wild by Jack London
Great "Dog" Books
90th out of 549 books — 1,195 voters
Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteWatership Down by Richard AdamsWhere the Red Fern Grows by Wilson RawlsBlack Beauty by Anna SewellAnimal Farm by George Orwell
Best Books About Animals
256th out of 731 books — 1,124 voters

More lists with this book...

Paula
I had a love/hate relationship with this book. I loved it because it was about the best souls in the world...dogs. I hated it because it tore me up with what they did to him. And yet, I loved it because it brought out those really raw emotions. It was extremely heartwrenching and I just couldn't put it down.

Jessup has been working with Pit Bulls for over 25 years and has also written a non-fiction book about the breed. This book fantasizes on the side of these dogs we DON'T hear about in the ne...more
Karen
Apr 13, 2008 Karen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: dog lovers, pit bull fans, animal rights people
Recommended to Karen by: my sister
To say I enjoyed this book would not be altogether true. I had to keep laying it aside because I couldn't read for crying! It's about how a pre-med student gains new insight to the abuse and exploitation of animals in research labs through an unexpected friendship with a pit bull. The pit bull is an abandoned feral dog who through unusual circumstances winds up in a lab. Although pit bulls are not generally used in research the author creates a believable and exciting plot. She decrys the horror...more
Georgi Norris
Marla
This book sat on my bookshelf for at least five years before I finally decided to read it. It came highly recommended, so my hesitancy to read it was purely driven by the knowledge that I knew that since one of the main characters was a dog, it was bound to have a sad ending that would make me cry like a big fat baby.

This book was a slow read at first, I didn't really get into it until Damien was "rescued" and taken to the college and he and Elizabeth first crossed paths. I was touched by the d...more
Elisa
Jan 25, 2014 Elisa rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: owned
Worst book I have ever read about dogs. Not only does the main dog get abused. A ton. The plights of the other dogs that are abused are ignored. Only Damien is viewed as special because apparently he can speak. English. Because a 19-going-on-5-year-old wuvs him enough to stare longingly into his eyes and give him huggsies. But does not wuv him enough to set him fwee cause she might get into twouble by her daddy and gampy. I am only finishing because I have a goal and not enough time to start ove...more
I absolutely loved this book. As the proud owner of a rescue pit bill I can say that the characterization was spot on (except for the talking part). If you are a dog lover you will probably be in tears a number of times throughout the story.
I hope this book will cause people to reconsider the way we are told by the news to view the pit bull. It also caused me to look more closely at animal testing. After reading the book I was moved to adopt another shelter do and to join a pit bull rescue.
I do...more
Lisa
WARNING: if you are an animal lover, especially someone who has recued animals, this book is heartwrenching. I read this with tears in my eyes while petting my rescued dog.
Ashke
It's been a long time since I read this book, and it took Maggie Stiefvater's The Scorpio Races to remind me of it. But I remember being deeply affected by reading it. It still remains vivid in my mind, mostly the detailed scenes of the animal experiments that are reminiscent of the Plague Dogs- in fact, this book is very similiar to that in some ways, with more emphasis on the ethics of the emotional bonds between humans and animals, and how we view their sentience, purpose, and treatment- thei...more
Sammy
Actually, this isn't a book just for anyone who has ever loved a dog, but for anyone who has ever loved an animal or has ever felt that special connection with a different species. And no, I'm not talking about interspecies dating you sick freaks! I'm talking about that bond that happens between people and animals.

I'm going to warn you now... this book will have you in tears by the end of it. If you hate books that make you cry... don't read this one. I honestly don't want to give away the endin...more
Victoria
I think I cried through this entire book! I really liked it - anyone who has owned a pit bull, or similar breed of dog will certainly recognize the terrific personality qualities so many dogs of that breed share... And while this book was more than a little preachy... and not really that good of a novel, in terms of the plot’s plausibility and characters, I enjoyed it nonetheless. The ending seemed a little unnecessary, but I did like the book, overall. There was even an Australian Cattle Dog br...more
Danielle Gillespie
LOVED. Yes - it will make you cry. For our recently rescued pit bull (at the time - now we've had him a few years), it saved his life. He had some dog aggression and fear aggression issues that I wasn't sure I could deal with. After reading this book, my entire perception changed and I decided I would do whatever it took to give him a peaceful life in our pack and household. He now thrives in our home and we have rescued a 2nd pit bull since then.
Jenny
I thought the book was okay. The description of dog behavior was really good. The depiction of a close relationship and affection between a dog and a person was also really good. The issues surrounding medical research on animals was profound.
I could have done without the "talking" but I suppose the author was trying to find a reason that a researcher would go to such great lengths to get the dog back. Some of the dialogue seemed unrealistic, especially with the Australian woman and there was q...more
Svetlana
Amazing book. Educational about laboratory dogs. Very emotional. Highly recommend.
Kim
Apr 17, 2014 Kim added it
Shelves: pets
I think Diane Jessup owns the "Real Pitbull Terrier" site (?)
CharlieMaie Guzman
I had a really really hard time with this book. it was extremely stressful to me, reading about what that dog went through...and (spoiler!!!!!!) "lux, stay" ripped my heart to shreds. I bawled at the end. one of the best, hands down. I'm getting a pit bull.
Sandy
Good read, have a box of tissues on hand!
Sheri
I went into this expecting heartbreak, and I was right about that. It was very emotional. But it was also a very good book. Some of us have a special bond with our furry family, each is different and unique but it brings us so much joy and love we can't imagine a life without. This is a tale of someone who has never felt that link, who was primed from the start to not believe there is one, and the miracle of discovering it. Setting aside the wrenching moments that were difficult to read through...more
India
This book is different from anything else I've read and really slow to start out. My mom recommended it and wouldn't stop talking about it until I read it- I went through and entire box of klennex the night I finished. It is fiction but Diane Jessup knows a lot about pit bulls and has dedicated her life to changing the stereotype of them being mean killer dogs. Makes you see this breed in an entirely new light and also opens your eyes to the reality of animal testing.
Steve Ward
My new interest in viewpoints led me to this book. It is very hard to read, not because it's not a good book, but because the subject matter is so distressing. Testing (torturing) of animals is something that does occur, and something a civilized society should abhor, but I think the author might have created more interest in her cause with a little less graphic story. It was gut wrenching. It's a great book, but a lot of people won't be able to read it.
Beth
An interesting read, but I really didn't like the end. I don't want to give any spoilers, but it just wasn't believable, especially how she cared more about saying goodbye to the man she met only days before than her father and grandfather who'd raised her. Definitely a book for dog lovers.
Lori
As a canine owner and lover this novel both pained me and took that pain to triumph. I read this book before adopting our current dog (Golden Retriever) and even though our dog does not talk the way the dog in the book does...she's very close to doing so. Amazing!

Non-dog owners or lovers would love this book too if they have a shred of humanity in them. :-)

I forgot I'd read this book and will have to again indeed!
Erica
I love pit bulls/bully breeds and was hoping that this book would be something I'd love just as much. Unfortunately I couldn't get into it. The author is an incredible wealth of knowledge about the breed but the tone of the book was overwhelmingly sad. I couldn't finish it. I kept finding myself look for that redeeming quality but was let down again and again. Not something I'd recommend for the soft of heart.
Genevra De Mond
This is a difficult book to read as it is heartwrenching, especially if you love animals. It's about a dog that is made into a "lab" animal. One is appalled by the misguided treatment this poor animal gets in the name of science and because he happens to be a pit bull. But it is a novel and not based on total reality. Mostly it says a lot about humans.
Rachael
I cannot tell you how much I was touched by this book. I can so easily put myself into Elizabeth's shoes! I have been a dog lover my whole life and wept as I read this book. I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves dogs and has feelings one way or the other on animal testing. This is my all-time favorite book.
Una
I personally didn't like the portion where the dog crossed the line between being just a dog and becoming humanized. I have read books of "speaking" dogs and was always immediately turned off when the dogs started speaking.
This book was not for me, but it was recommended by my co-worker who absolutely loved it.
Kseniya Fyodorova
I read it many years ago. Let me tell you that I've never read a book like that one before. And I probably won't read anything close to this one again. Coz it's that kind of book you will never forget. It's so unique. I can't describe. You just need to read it. You'll understand.
Lisa Zillioux
I read this book years ago, and I can remember it like it was yesterday. I love pitt bull terriers and own several. I cryed so hard, that I had to put it down and not pick it back up for several days. I definately read lables and only support not animal tested items now. A great read!!
Annabel den Dekker
I loved this book! It was very sad and I almost cried (I never cry with a book/movie!) I think it's good that Jessup wrote about animal testing and pitbulls. I can't believe that there are people who think pitbulls are evil or something. Just a really good book!
Nida
Wow. This read was really surprising for me. It was a gift from someone and I was like, "what the hell is this about, dogs talking to god?!" But Wow, wow, wow. It is a good read, goes by very fast. Jessup did an amazing job with the character growth.
Mary Zambales
This book made me cry so much. In fact, stories about dogs always make me cry, and the abuse this poor dog goes through and the bond he develops with the main character were just flat-out heartwrenching.
  • Dogs I Have Met: And the People They Found
  • DogTown: Tales of Rescue, Rehabilitation, and Redemption
  • Love at First Bark: How Saving a Dog Can Sometimes Help You Save Yourself
  • Best Friends: The True Story of the World's Most Beloved Animal Sanctuary
  • The Power of Positive Dog Training
  • Puppy Chow is Better Than Prozac: The True Story of a Man and the Dog Who Saved His Life
  • How Dogs Think: What the World Looks Like to Them and Why They Act the Way They Do
  • Shelter Dogs: Amazing Stories of Adopted Strays