Start by marking “The Singing and Dancing Daughters of God” as Want to Read:
The Singing and Dancing Daughters of God

The Singing and Dancing Daughters of God

In this endearing misadventure that threatens to turn out right in spite of it all, Timothy Schaffert writes a thin line between tragedy and hilarity, turning wry humor and a keen sense of the paradoxical onto characters who deserve all the tender care he gives them.

Newly divorced and feeling the pain of separation from his family, Hud Smith channels his regret into writin
Published November 1st 2005 by Unbridled Books

To ask other readers questions about The Singing and Dancing Daughters of God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Singing and Dancing Daughters of God

Alena
Jan 14, 2016 Alena rated it really liked it
Is it wrong to describe a slice of white-trash pie as "charming?" Probably, but that's the best word for this Schaffert gem from 2005. Despite Hud's, Tuesday's and Ozzie's boozing, bad choices and bad parenting, I found myself rooting for them. In fact, I knew I was "charmed" from the opening sentence,
To get through the afternoon that wound into early evenings, driving a school bus along long country roads and driveways, Hud kept slightly drunk.

This book is not about the plot. It's about the pe
Catherine
Hud (nickname) and Tuesday (actual name) met as teenagers with big dreams of escaping their small Nebraska town. He wanted to be a country singer and she dreamed of pursuing her art in Paris. Instead, they married when Tuesday became pregnant and tried to make it all work. She's an art teacher and he drives a school bus, playing his quirky brand of country music in bars and hotel lounges. Seventeen years later, they've finally divorced, but Hud still hopes to reconcile...when he's not fantasizin ...more
Apr 13, 2008 Jennifer rated it liked it
okay book. this was kind of a strange story, It was not awful to read, but probably would not read it again.
Braden
Jan 09, 2013 Braden rated it liked it
I finished this book feeling as though I missed something...Now I admit that totally could be the case. This book had no climax or suspense, rather what I felt while reading this book was that the author might have written it during a midlife crisis. There was a lot of inner turmoil within the main characters, none of which seemed to be relieved.
Basically the characters had made decisions (prior to the book's beginning) that they sometimes regretted and sometimes they didn't, the end. Don't get
Marvin
Aug 05, 2009 Marvin rated it it was ok
Shelves: midwest, religion
The title & cover are misleading. This is a fairly standard dysfunctional family story, except a little lighter & the family is pretty committed to getting it right, just can't seem to manage it. Unusual, too, for being set in small-town central Nebraska. And the title is also misleading because the Singing & Dancing Daughters of God, a female gospel singing group, make only a cameo appearance, & religion, though important to a few of the characters, is not treated as important t ...more
Marianne
Feb 22, 2012 Marianne rated it liked it
A snapshot of time in the life of a close dysfunctional family and their friends. I found this book to not have much of a story line. Character development was good, but the author did not go anywhere with the characters. An OK read but would not recommend.
Quiltgranny
Apr 17, 2012 Quiltgranny rated it liked it
A nice short read that starts no where, goes no where and ends no where. A story of relationships and how people deal (or not) deal with them and move through life.
The White
Dec 22, 2008 The White rated it liked it
I liked this book but I would not read it again. It left me feeling a little empty. His characters experience change of some sort, but there is really never a good resolution.
Hannaheriley
May 16, 2010 Hannaheriley rated it it was amazing
AWESOME!! He is from Omaha too and writes Nebraska like it is a hip, happening place
Corie
Mar 28, 2014 Corie rated it did not like it
What a waste of time! I hated all the characters!
Wendy
The family is dysfunctional, sort of like the Southern genre "Bastard out of Carolina". It was engaging enough so that I read it in two sittings. Thus, the four stars rating.
Gina Beirne
Sep 02, 2011 Gina Beirne rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, read2011
High quirk factor.
Linda Anderson
That divorce, seperation, immoral behavior and neglecting your children for selfish desires and pursuits is depressing and stupid.
Karen Smith
Mar 03, 2012 Karen Smith rated it it was ok
Being set in Nebraska was the only thing positive about this very sophmoric novel.
Amy
Sep 02, 2013 Amy rated it liked it
This was a nice easy read about a dysfunctional family, set in Nebraska by a Nebraskan author.
Richard Cochnar
Aug 08, 2007 Richard Cochnar rated it did not like it
hah!
BookishBelle
BookishBelle rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2016
Misty
Misty rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2014
Casey
Casey rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2012
Meglporter
Meglporter rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2014
Megan Christine
Megan Christine rated it it was ok
Aug 03, 2013
Sarah Alston
Sarah Alston rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2015
Fran
Fran rated it liked it
Oct 30, 2016
Terese Thielen
Terese Thielen rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2012
Howard
Howard rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2014
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2011
Pete
Pete rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2007
Sarah McKinstry-Brown
Sarah McKinstry-Brown rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2016
Ande
Ande rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2007
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Author of five novels: The Swan Gondola, The Coffins of Little Hope, Devils in the Sugar Shop, The Singing and Dancing Daughters of God, and The Phantom Limbs of the Rollow Sisters. Director of the (downtown) omaha lit fest. Contributing editor, Fairy Tale Review. Assistant Professor in the University of Nebraska-Lincoln creative writing program.

"The Singing and Dancing Daughters of God" is part o
More about Timothy Schaffert...