The Singing and Dancing Daughters of God

The Singing and Dancing Daughters of God

3.09 of 5 stars 3.09  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  16 reviews
A blithe and redemptive seriocomic love story filled with country music, the ghosts of Halloween, and an ironic brand of down-home religion.

Newly divorced and feeling the pain of separation from his family, Hud Smith channels his regret into writing country-western songs, contemplating life on the lam with his 8-year-old daughter, and searching cryptic postcards for news o...more
Published November 1st 2005 by Unbridled Books

To ask other readers questions about The Singing and Dancing Daughters of God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Singing and Dancing Daughters of God

Catherine
Hud (nickname) and Tuesday (actual name) met as teenagers with big dreams of escaping their small Nebraska town. He wanted to be a country singer and she dreamed of pursuing her art in Paris. Instead, they married when Tuesday became pregnant and tried to make it all work. She's an art teacher and he drives a school bus, playing his quirky brand of country music in bars and hotel lounges. Seventeen years later, they've finally divorced, but Hud still hopes to reconcile...when he's not fantasizin...more
okay book. this was kind of a strange story, It was not awful to read, but probably would not read it again.
Braden
I finished this book feeling as though I missed something...Now I admit that totally could be the case. This book had no climax or suspense, rather what I felt while reading this book was that the author might have written it during a midlife crisis. There was a lot of inner turmoil within the main characters, none of which seemed to be relieved.
Basically the characters had made decisions (prior to the book's beginning) that they sometimes regretted and sometimes they didn't, the end. Don't get...more
Corie
What a waste of time! I hated all the characters!
Marvin
The title & cover are misleading. This is a fairly standard dysfunctional family story, except a little lighter & the family is pretty committed to getting it right, just can't seem to manage it. Unusual, too, for being set in small-town central Nebraska. And the title is also misleading because the Singing & Dancing Daughters of God, a female gospel singing group, make only a cameo appearance, & religion, though important to a few of the characters, is not treated as important t...more
Marianne
A snapshot of time in the life of a close dysfunctional family and their friends. I found this book to not have much of a story line. Character development was good, but the author did not go anywhere with the characters. An OK read but would not recommend.
The White
I liked this book but I would not read it again. It left me feeling a little empty. His characters experience change of some sort, but there is really never a good resolution.
Wendy
The family is dysfunctional, sort of like the Southern genre "Bastard out of Carolina". It was engaging enough so that I read it in two sittings. Thus, the four stars rating.
Quiltgranny
A nice short read that starts no where, goes no where and ends no where. A story of relationships and how people deal (or not) deal with them and move through life.
Linda Anderson
That divorce, seperation, immoral behavior and neglecting your children for selfish desires and pursuits is depressing and stupid.
I liked this better than The Phantom Limbs of the Rollow Sisters, though that was good, too.
Amy
This was a nice easy read about a dysfunctional family, set in Nebraska by a Nebraskan author.
Hannaheriley
AWESOME!! He is from Omaha too and writes Nebraska like it is a hip, happening place
Karen Smith
Being set in Nebraska was the only thing positive about this very sophmoric novel.
Gina Beirne
High quirk factor.
Shara
Shara marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
jjl
jjl marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Gretchen
Gretchen marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Amybare
Amybare marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Callie
Callie marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Bruna Schmitt
Bruna Schmitt marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Nan
Nan marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Author of five novels: The Swan Gondola, The Coffins of Little Hope, Devils in the Sugar Shop, The Singing and Dancing Daughters of God, and The Phantom Limbs of the Rollow Sisters. Director of the (downtown) omaha lit fest. Contributing editor, Fairy Tale Review. Assistant Professor in the University of Nebraska-Lincoln creative writing program.

"The Singing and Dancing Daughters of God" is part o...more
More about Timothy Schaffert...
The Coffins of Little Hope The Swan Gondola The Phantom Limbs of the Rollow Sisters Devils in the Sugar Shop Lady of the Burlesque Ballet