Start by marking “The Blood of a Dragon (Ethshar, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Blood of a Dragon (Ethshar, #4)

The Blood of a Dragon (Ethshar #4)

It was definite Dumery had no magical talent at all. He could never fulfill his dream to become a wizard's apprentice. Hurt, angry, and mortally disappointed, he despaired of ever choosing a trade.
But then Dumery spied a so-called great wizard humbling himself before a man selling dragon's blood the precious stuff that made difficult spells work. If Dumery couldn't be a
Published January 1st 2001 by Wildside Press (first published October 13th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Blood of a Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blood of a Dragon

Latharia
May 04, 2008 Latharia rated it it was amazing
As with other of Watt-Evans' books set in Ethshar, it features an unexpected hero, who has to cope with mundane issues in a magical world. The author does a fabulous job of presenting the every day "what if" issues about having magic, and this book also does not disappoint. I keep hoping I'll find another stray book by the author, but I don't think he's writing any more!
Melanti
Apr 28, 2012 Melanti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book, 2012, adventure
While the Ethshar series isn’t “good” in the literary sense, they’re a lot of fun. They’re lighthearted adventure stories involving absolutely ordinary people in (usually) ordinary events. There’s no horrible disasters to avert, no kingdoms or worlds to save, no grand treasures to find or quests to complete - just ordinary people trying to live their lives. In this one, the young brat Dumery has decided that if he can’t be an apprentice wizard, he’ll at least be an apprentice dragon hunter so th ...more
Curtiss
May 14, 2008 Curtiss rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
This is one the Magic of Ethshar series of books. I recorded most of them, including this one, in 50-55 minute installments for my local Golden Hours radio service for blind or reading-impaired listeners. I also made CD copies for myself.

My favorite book in the series is The Missenchanted Sword, closely followed by The Blood of a Dragon.
Dantegideon
Apr 04, 2015 Dantegideon rated it it was ok
Just awful. I spent most of the book praying for the main character to be eaten by a dragon.
Michael
Feb 07, 2016 Michael rated it really liked it
One of the weaker entries in the Ethshar. Not bad mind you, but merely okay.
Peter
Feb 13, 2011 Peter rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fantasy fans
Shelves: fantasy
It's late, so this will be relatively brief (for me, that is - which means it will probably be one of the longer reviews here on GoodReads).

Lawrence Watt-Evans' Ethshar books are the preeminent modern light fantasy series. They're eminently readable, and particularly enjoyable because most of them feature intelligent, reasonable, fundamentally decent protagonists who take sensible precautions, make intelligent choices, and cope with the unexpected logically - although not necessarily with superh
Kevin Driskill
Nov 11, 2014 Kevin Driskill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Another wonderful addition to what is becoming my favorite series. The different types of magic and the mysteries of this fascinating world continue to unfold in dramatic fashion. Somehow Watt-Evans expands and further explains the parts of each book that I was most interested in from the previous story. Is he a literary genius, were we separated at birth, or doe he write so effortlessly about magic because he himself is a wizard? I must start the next book right away to find out.
Johanna
Apr 10, 2016 Johanna rated it really liked it
A slow starter, but I read the whole thing on the flight home from Europe And I Really Enjoyed It By The end.
Curtiss
Aug 11, 2009 Curtiss rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This one of the more lighthearted entries in the series, and I'm looking forward to the sequel The Spriggan Mirror; especially as the mischeiveous spriggan's appear in several other books in the series.

My favorite book in the series is The Missenchanted Sword, c
Ryn
Mar 26, 2011 Ryn rated it did not like it
The writing was at quite a low level, and the book was pretty boring. I thought the idea had a lot of potential, but it just ended up being the humdrum travelogue of a boy and the people sent to find him and bring him home.

In my opinion, the author could definitely have made this an action-packed adventure, but... it fell short in a big way.
Robert
Jun 24, 2009 Robert rated it liked it
I went to read this book and realized that I had already read it before I starting organizing things here on GoodReads.

I found it was a fun book, simple easy fantasy to devour in large gulps. I enjoy the world and think that there is much to be said for knowing what you are getting when you start off an Ethshar book.
David
Mar 18, 2009 David rated it really liked it
Prototypical Watt-Evans. A young man decides to set off to make his fortune, as you might expect of a certain sort of fantasy tale, but discovers walking is a slow way to travel and travelers have to worry about eating and sleeping. A charming tale set in Ethshar.
Daryl Nash
Dumery is an annoying little brat. Half the book, the narrative seems to be casting about in search of a plot. I was going to give this one star, but the character of Aldagon the dragon changed my mind.
Lynn Calvin
Fictionwise multiformat ebook
Jessica
Mar 29, 2012 Jessica rated it liked it
Entertaining story
Andrey
Andrey marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2016
Kanen
Kanen marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Brian Bentley
Brian Bentley rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2016
Abinadi Ayerdis
Abinadi Ayerdis rated it it was ok
Sep 19, 2016
Jamey Creager
Jamey Creager rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2016
Meliza
Meliza is currently reading it
Sep 12, 2016
Thaddeus Nowak
Thaddeus Nowak marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Zach
Zach marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
Llamageddon
Llamageddon rated it it was ok
Aug 31, 2016
Mihail
Mihail rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2016
Grace Crandall
Grace Crandall marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
Martin Little
Martin Little rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2016
Colette A
Colette A marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
  • Entoverse (Giants, #4)
  • Wistril Compleat
  • The Gnome's Engine
  • Emperor and Clown (A Man of His Word, #4)
  • The Assassin's Edge (The Tales of Einarinn, #5)
  • The Complete Compleat Enchanter
  • The Judas Pair (Lovejoy, #1)
  • Jaws of Darkness (Darkness, #5)
  • Discworld Fools' Guild Diary 2001
  • John the Balladeer (Silver John)
  • Vengeance of the Dancing Gods (Dancing Gods, #3)
  • The Dragon Quintet
  • The Dragon of Never-Was (Hatching Magic, #2)
  • Dragon's Winter
  • Viscous Circle (Cluster, #5)
  • The Dragon in Lyonesse (Dragon Knight, #8)
  • Shadow Gate (Crossroads, #2)

Ethshar (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Misenchanted Sword (Ethshar, #1)
  • With a Single Spell (Ethshar, #2)
  • The Unwilling Warlord (Ethshar, #3)
  • Taking Flight (Ethshar, #5)
  • The Spell of the Black Dagger (Ethshar, #6)
  • Night of Madness (Ethshar, #7)
  • Ithanalin's Restoration (Ethshar, #8)
  • The Spriggan Mirror (Ethshar, #9)
  • The Vondish Ambassador (Ethshar, #10)
  • The Unwelcome Warlock (Ethshar, #11)