Start by marking “The Shadow Club Rising” as Want to Read:
The Shadow Club Rising

The Shadow Club Rising (Shadow Club #2)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  470 ratings  ·  39 reviews
The Shadow Club doesn't exist anymore. The group of second-best kids used to play anonymous practical jokes on their rivals, until things spiraled out of control. Now Jared and the ex-Shadow Club members are having a hard time shaking their reputation. And when the new golden boy at school is the victim of a series of nasty pranks, everyone's convinced Jared is to blame. D ...more
200 pages
Published by Turtleback Books (first published February 18th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Shadow Club Rising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shadow Club Rising

Mart
Пет звезди никога не са много щом става дума за Нийл Шустерман. ( ノ^ω^)ノ゚
Естествено (или може би не), тази книга ми хареса повече от предната (за която доколкото помня не съм писала нищо, поради дните ми на мързелуване и заетостта ми в Скайрим по Коледа). Дори се замислих дали да не сваля една звезда от първата книга, но се отказах. Neal Shusterman deserves all the stars in the world. φ(..;)
Историята уж беше приключила, но всъщност нещата са много по-сложни отколкото всички са си мислили. Под п
Erica Alyson
I liked this book and the last a lot. Great story and life lesson :)
Tammy Dring
So this was a book that I stumbled upon at the Goodwill while scouring the shelves for a different book. I grabbed it in greedy excitement because I had no idea this book existed. The Shadow Club Rising is a sequel to The Shadow Club, which was a book we read as a class like in 5th grade. It's also one of the few books that has stuck with me and I still read every few years or so.

The Shadow Club and Rising aren't necessarily really well written or extraordinary books and to be honest I'm not po
Sharon
REREAD: This is just as good as the first time through. Love it. :) And love Jared.

Golly, I love this book. And I love Jared Mercer.

While reading this, I gasped and I laughed and I squealed, I was angry and sad and happy. I learned my lesson. I was there right along with Jared, feeling his pain at the mistrust, the horror at the pranks, the fear, the confusion, the determination, the success, the love, the humor. I loved his strength in overcoming what people thought of him, working towards so
Claudio Coleman
This book was slow at the beginning and then got more action packed in the end. This book is after the original Shadow Club (which I have not read) which was a club of second best kids who played anonymous pranks on people. The pranks turned into small town terrorism. After the Shadow Club got disbanded Jared felt sorry and is repentant. Then a new kid Alec Smartz comes along and anonymous pranks start happening to him, this was the start of the Shadow Club rising again and Jared feels incined t ...more
Karen Ball
The Shadow Club was a group of "second-best" kids who were always left out of the spotlight, and managed to come up with a series of pranks. But the jokes got out of control, and people got hurt, and so the Shadow Club is no more. The members still have the bad reputation that goes along with actions like that, and whenever something nasty happens, the adults find it easiest to blame them. Jared used to be one of the leaders of the Shadow Club, and he's being blamed for the string of increasingl ...more
Lindsay
This book is a great sequel. Shusterman's stories about the super natural are scary, but stories with possible premises, like Unwind, are scarier, and books completely plausible are terrifying. This could happen in my town, your town or your cousin's town. All of those feelings of anger and jealousy boil over, and people are turned into monsters, except they don't know it. Like Jared said, nobody thinks of themselves as evil.

This book really made me think of criminal cases. Often, if a case is i
Marilyn
I read The Shadow Club waaay back in the day and was worried I wouldn't remember enough to really get into the sequel. I decided to give it a go without rereading the first book anyway and was pleased with the job Neal Shusterman did of recapping the first story in little snatches - it was enough to jog my memory, but not overdone. So if it's been awhile since you read the first Shadow Club go ahead and dive into this one anyway. If you haven't read the original, I do suggest reading that one fi ...more
Kimberly
A very easy read and I liked this one better than the first. I still felt like I was too old for the book, and would have enjoyed it more had I read it younger. The story was a bit better and less predictable than the first.

I would have given it 4 stars, but I had one major complaint (which is a minor spoiler of the first book - but I tried to keep things vague). I felt like one character got blamed (by his peers, school, parents, and himself) a lot for what happened in the first book, even tho
Brian
I give The Shadow Club Rising only 4 stars for being stupid. These books should be movies.
Amanda
Another one I finished in a few short hours. So, the fact that it was good enough to propel me along in such a way might be as much as needs to be said.

I was glad to see that Shusterman learned his lesson about exclamation points, placing them where only where they should've been (in dialogue) and never, never in the narration.

Add to that another interesting, twisting plot about all the bad things that can really happen, but you maybe never thought could happen, and we've got another decent re
MizziQ
Feb 13, 2012 MizziQ rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of conflicted emotional books
Shelves: mental
Once again a book a read the sequel but not #1. It actually wasn't half bad not knowing the beginning. It gave me an air of mystery...but I wasn't so confused that I put it down. I liked it very much. It had a chilling feel to it but it's not a horror or anything like that. It's just a little psycological. The main character is thought to be mentally insane by some. But really a pretty sweet kid I concluded in the end. (Not a spoiler...don't freak out) Check it out. Though, may I suggest reading ...more
Kelly Hager
This takes place after the events of The Shadow Club. Not surprisingly, nobody at their school trusts the members of the (now-disbanded) Shadow Club. And when a new student (the incredibly obnoxious and unfortunately named Alec Smartz) starts getting hideous pranks played on him, everyone (students, teachers, the principal) believes it's because of The Shadow Club in general and Jared in particular.

So Jared has to prove his innocence. I preferred this to the first book but still like Unwind most
Jennie
I've become a total Neal Shusterman book addict. I liked this sequel to "The Shadow Club" even more than I liked the first book in the series. Like the first book, it deals with jealously, bullying, how seemingly harmless pranks can blow up into major crises, and the problems of peer pressure and judging others. The sequel was a little more complex than the first book, with more twists and turns in the plot. Another excellent book by my newest favorite author. Highly recommended for older kids/y ...more
Trudi
A nice follow-up to The Shadow Club, although the story is not as rich as it doesn't really build upon the conflict created in the first book as much as repeat it. The "pranks" become larger and more dangerous, so in some respects this sequel is more of a page-turner than the first, focusing on the action, rather than the moral / ethical significance of the acts. Shusterman is a great storyteller though, and I highly recommend his books to anyone.
Douglas Castagna
Not as good as the original, but few sequels are. Though this one does have its moments. Though written some time later, it takes place a mere semester later, and our original Shadow Club members seem to be targeted to take the fall for some serious and dangerous new pranks that are happening. Can they clear their name? You will have to read it to see, a definite worthwhile read, providing you read the original first.
Heather
Really wishing for a 2.5 rating here! I just didn't feel this was as realistic as the original Shadow Club, and because of that, it really didn't pack much emotional punch. I actually found myself spending more time wondering where the heck all the adults were in this book given 1. the past events and 2. the seriousness of the "pranks" occurring this time around. Definitely a sign I aged out of this particular YA work!
Luke
Okay...I'm disappointed. I don't know what is was about this book I didn't like, but it didn't draw me in like the last one. I didn't love the first book, but it had me on the edge of my seat and I just HAD to finish it. With this one, I was slightly curious, but not enough to torture myself into finishing it. It might also be because I have a million books that I have to read right now...but I might come back to this one.
Nataly
I totally loved it, no surprise there since I love Neal Shusterman's books. I had read the first one a few months ago and I was debating with myself on reading this one, considering I wouldn't remember some details. I decided to read it and I loved it. It's a really good book on it's own, Shusterman gave us details we had to remember to understand but he didn't go overboard. I really liked it, an enjoyable read.
Dylan
"Sometimes people see you the way they want to see you no matter how hard you try to change it. It's like they'd rather twist the whole world just so they can keep seeing you the same lousy way."
"When panic sets in, common sense is always the first causality."

As always, Neal Shusterman brings up interesting issues in a creative way. Makes you think!
Anna
It has been a long time since I read the first book (I've been searching for this one since high school), but fromm what I remember, this is a good continuation. It only took me a few hours to read it and, overall, I liked the way it connected to the original but also looked at the situation in a different way.
Unknown
This book got me back into reading. It was one of the best books i had read in so long i truly liked and enjoyed. When i first go it I wouldnt let go of it, it was just so interesting. For some reason i felt like i conected with the main character Jared. Really great book to read i would recomend it.
Emily
This book wasn't as good as the first one, but still worthwhile. If you really enjoyed the first, you may want to consider it. A new kid comes to town, and suddenly everybody is second-best. people start pulling pranks, and the shadow club is blamed.
Kayleigh
This book series was very good because it was very relatable. We all know what its like to be second best and almost all of us wish that we could get back at those perfect people who always win. This story shows getting back at them gone wrong!
John
It picks up after the last one.

Jared is pretty much crime suspect number one, even though he's innocent.

I like seeing how people manage to pin things on him, and yet, he's totally innocent.
A much better read than the first book.
Megan
This book was better than the first, but iI still didn't like it very much. I read this book with my class and I think it could have improved. I liked the ending the best it was my favorite part. Over all this book was okay.
Liz
I enjoyed this even more than the first book. I could tell there was some distance between the first and second novels, and I really like Shusterman's writing style in his more recent books. Nice work.
Michael Holder
it is a horrible thing when youve done something wrong and then after you think everyone is starting to forgive you, to have one person go rattling the cage of the past and bringing back old memories
Amy C
Wow!! That was incredible!!! I didn't remember much from the first book, but as the book went on I remembered more and more. It was exactly like the first book!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Callie
Good story of a ninth-grade boy under suspician of pulling pranks that he actually had no part in. You may want to read "The Shadow Club" first.
  • Adam Canfield, Watch Your Back!
  • Revenge of the Loser (The Loser List #2)
  • The Lighthouse Keepers (Lighthouse Trilogy, #3)
  • Love & Sk8
  • Maine Squeeze: Maine Squeeze and Banana Splitsville
  • Crumbling Walls
  • Experienced (Beautiful Americans, #3)
  • Letting Go
  • The Boy Problem: Notes and Observations of Tabitha Reddy
  • Grave Bound (Secrets, #1)
  • Glitter
  • Beauty and the Bully
  • Love is One of the Choices
  • Access Denied: And Other Eighth Grade Error Messages
  • Fire (Losing Christina, #3)
  • Crooked
  • Wizard's Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1-2)
19564
Award-winning author Neal Shusterman grew up in Brooklyn, New York, where he began writing at an early age. After spending his junior and senior years of high school at the American School of Mexico City, Neal went on to UC Irvine, where he made his mark on the UCI swim team, and wrote a successful humor column. Within a year of graduating, he had his first book deal, and was hired to write a movi ...more
More about Neal Shusterman...
Unwind (Unwind, #1) UnWholly (Unwind, #2) Everlost (Skinjacker, #1) Bruiser UnSouled (Unwind, #3)