Start by marking “The Shadow Club Rising (Shadow Club, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Shadow Club Rising (Shadow Club, #2)

The Shadow Club Rising (Shadow Club #2)

The Shadow Club doesn't exist anymore. The group of second-best kids used to play anonymous practical jokes on their rivals, until things spiraled out of control. Now Jared and the ex-Shadow Club members are having a hard time shaking their reputation. And when the new golden boy at school is the victim of a series of nasty pranks, everyone's convinced Jared is to blame. D ...more
Published June 1st 2003 by Turtleback Books (first published February 18th 2002)

Suyash  Gupta
Jun 06, 2016 Suyash Gupta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant! Couldn't stop reading until the end.

I liked it even better than the first book.Even though this book was not as thought provoking as the first one, the intense mystery more than compensated for it. While reading it, I felt so many emotions surging inside me, and by the end my eyes were wet, not because it had a sad ending but because I felt so uplifted from inside.This short duology by Shusterman is immensely satisfying. A must read series!
Victoria
The Shadow Club Rising follows the events of the first book after the disbandment of Jared's club. In fact, I think I liked the sequel more because of the greater intensity of the mystery. That, though, doesn't change the fact that both are amazing and I greatly enjoyed reading them.

Before starting the sequel I wondered what was going to happen after the Shadow Club got dissolved. Would it be as interesting as the first? I thought it would all be over when the club gets disbanded but obviously
Mart
Dec 26, 2013 Mart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
Пет звезди никога не са много щом става дума за Нийл Шустерман. ( ノ^ω^)ノ゚
Естествено (или може би не), тази книга ми хареса повече от предната (за която доколкото помня не съм писала нищо, поради дните ми на мързелуване и заетостта ми в Скайрим по Коледа). Дори се замислих дали да не сваля една звезда от първата книга, но се отказах. Neal Shusterman deserves all the stars in the world. φ(..;)
Историята уж беше приключила, но всъщност нещата са много по-сложни отколкото всички са си мислили. Под п
Erica Alyson
Sep 30, 2014 Erica Alyson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book and the last a lot. Great story and life lesson :)
Delilah Larsen
Oct 26, 2016 Delilah Larsen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i liked how their was a lot of problem solving.
Tammy Dring
So this was a book that I stumbled upon at the Goodwill while scouring the shelves for a different book. I grabbed it in greedy excitement because I had no idea this book existed. The Shadow Club Rising is a sequel to The Shadow Club, which was a book we read as a class like in 5th grade. It's also one of the few books that has stuck with me and I still read every few years or so.

The Shadow Club and Rising aren't necessarily really well written or extraordinary books and to be honest I'm not po
Sharon
Sep 26, 2012 Sharon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
REREAD: This is just as good as the first time through. Love it. :) And love Jared.

Golly, I love this book. And I love Jared Mercer.

While reading this, I gasped and I laughed and I squealed, I was angry and sad and happy. I learned my lesson. I was there right along with Jared, feeling his pain at the mistrust, the horror at the pranks, the fear, the confusion, the determination, the success, the love, the humor. I loved his strength in overcoming what people thought of him, working towards so
Claudio Coleman
Oct 10, 2011 Claudio Coleman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was slow at the beginning and then got more action packed in the end. This book is after the original Shadow Club (which I have not read) which was a club of second best kids who played anonymous pranks on people. The pranks turned into small town terrorism. After the Shadow Club got disbanded Jared felt sorry and is repentant. Then a new kid Alec Smartz comes along and anonymous pranks start happening to him, this was the start of the Shadow Club rising again and Jared feels incined t ...more
Sleepless
Apr 21, 2015 Sleepless rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you have ever spoken to me about books, I may have mentioned that the Unwind series is my favorite book/ series, tying with Harry Potter. That said, I actually haven't read too many Neal Shusterman books, apart from it. I'm still in the middle of the Everwild (I think that's it's name? I'm on mobile and can't check) series.

This book is an excellent sequel. I read the first one two years ago and I remember it as a great book. I think I might like the first one better but it's clear this book
Karen Ball
The Shadow Club was a group of "second-best" kids who were always left out of the spotlight, and managed to come up with a series of pranks. But the jokes got out of control, and people got hurt, and so the Shadow Club is no more. The members still have the bad reputation that goes along with actions like that, and whenever something nasty happens, the adults find it easiest to blame them. Jared used to be one of the leaders of the Shadow Club, and he's being blamed for the string of increasingl ...more
Lindsay
Apr 30, 2012 Lindsay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a great sequel. Shusterman's stories about the super natural are scary, but stories with possible premises, like Unwind, are scarier, and books completely plausible are terrifying. This could happen in my town, your town or your cousin's town. All of those feelings of anger and jealousy boil over, and people are turned into monsters, except they don't know it. Like Jared said, nobody thinks of themselves as evil.

This book really made me think of criminal cases. Often, if a case is i
Kimberly
A very easy read and I liked this one better than the first. I still felt like I was too old for the book, and would have enjoyed it more had I read it younger. The story was a bit better and less predictable than the first.

I would have given it 4 stars, but I had one major complaint (which is a minor spoiler of the first book - but I tried to keep things vague). I felt like one character got blamed (by his peers, school, parents, and himself) a lot for what happened in the first book, even tho
Marilyn
Nov 19, 2008 Marilyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, fiction
I read The Shadow Club waaay back in the day and was worried I wouldn't remember enough to really get into the sequel. I decided to give it a go without rereading the first book anyway and was pleased with the job Neal Shusterman did of recapping the first story in little snatches - it was enough to jog my memory, but not overdone. So if it's been awhile since you read the first Shadow Club go ahead and dive into this one anyway. If you haven't read the original, I do suggest reading that one fi ...more
Jennie
Jul 24, 2012 Jennie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've become a total Neal Shusterman book addict. I liked this sequel to "The Shadow Club" even more than I liked the first book in the series. Like the first book, it deals with jealously, bullying, how seemingly harmless pranks can blow up into major crises, and the problems of peer pressure and judging others. The sequel was a little more complex than the first book, with more twists and turns in the plot. Another excellent book by my newest favorite author. Highly recommended for older kids/y ...more
Amanda
Dec 09, 2008 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another one I finished in a few short hours. So, the fact that it was good enough to propel me along in such a way might be as much as needs to be said.

I was glad to see that Shusterman learned his lesson about exclamation points, placing them where only where they should've been (in dialogue) and never, never in the narration.

Add to that another interesting, twisting plot about all the bad things that can really happen, but you maybe never thought could happen, and we've got another decent re
MizziQ
Feb 13, 2012 MizziQ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of conflicted emotional books
Shelves: mental
Once again a book a read the sequel but not #1. It actually wasn't half bad not knowing the beginning. It gave me an air of mystery...but I wasn't so confused that I put it down. I liked it very much. It had a chilling feel to it but it's not a horror or anything like that. It's just a little psycological. The main character is thought to be mentally insane by some. But really a pretty sweet kid I concluded in the end. (Not a spoiler...don't freak out) Check it out. Though, may I suggest reading ...more
Kelly Hager
This takes place after the events of The Shadow Club. Not surprisingly, nobody at their school trusts the members of the (now-disbanded) Shadow Club. And when a new student (the incredibly obnoxious and unfortunately named Alec Smartz) starts getting hideous pranks played on him, everyone (students, teachers, the principal) believes it's because of The Shadow Club in general and Jared in particular.

So Jared has to prove his innocence. I preferred this to the first book but still like Unwind most
Luke
Dec 30, 2008 Luke rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didnotfinish
Okay...I'm disappointed. I don't know what is was about this book I didn't like, but it didn't draw me in like the last one. I didn't love the first book, but it had me on the edge of my seat and I just HAD to finish it. With this one, I was slightly curious, but not enough to torture myself into finishing it. It might also be because I have a million books that I have to read right now...but I might come back to this one.
Ch
''...people see you the way they want to see you . . . and sometimes they manage to turn you into the very thing they want to see."

There was just something in the way Neal writes his stories, it was pulling. There's this touch of poetry and depth in his words. This book was dynamite, simple yet banging. An amazing easy read that could be finished in over an hour but doesn't feel short.

Raging 3.75

Douglas Castagna
Nov 04, 2013 Douglas Castagna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as the original, but few sequels are. Though this one does have its moments. Though written some time later, it takes place a mere semester later, and our original Shadow Club members seem to be targeted to take the fall for some serious and dangerous new pranks that are happening. Can they clear their name? You will have to read it to see, a definite worthwhile read, providing you read the original first.
Trudi
A nice follow-up to The Shadow Club, although the story is not as rich as it doesn't really build upon the conflict created in the first book as much as repeat it. The "pranks" become larger and more dangerous, so in some respects this sequel is more of a page-turner than the first, focusing on the action, rather than the moral / ethical significance of the acts. Shusterman is a great storyteller though, and I highly recommend his books to anyone.
Nataly
Jun 30, 2011 Nataly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-series
I totally loved it, no surprise there since I love Neal Shusterman's books. I had read the first one a few months ago and I was debating with myself on reading this one, considering I wouldn't remember some details. I decided to read it and I loved it. It's a really good book on it's own, Shusterman gave us details we had to remember to understand but he didn't go overboard. I really liked it, an enjoyable read.
Heather
Really wishing for a 2.5 rating here! I just didn't feel this was as realistic as the original Shadow Club, and because of that, it really didn't pack much emotional punch. I actually found myself spending more time wondering where the heck all the adults were in this book given 1. the past events and 2. the seriousness of the "pranks" occurring this time around. Definitely a sign I aged out of this particular YA work!
Dylan
Feb 09, 2013 Dylan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Sometimes people see you the way they want to see you no matter how hard you try to change it. It's like they'd rather twist the whole world just so they can keep seeing you the same lousy way."
"When panic sets in, common sense is always the first causality."

As always, Neal Shusterman brings up interesting issues in a creative way. Makes you think!
Nick C
Sep 21, 2016 Nick C rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Shadow Club Rising was a great sequel to The Shadow Club book. It kept me engaged by providing a lot of suspense and by providing countless mysteries needing to be resolved. The book expertly provided answers to questions that I had after from the first book. If you like suspense, strong characters, and thought provoking plot this two book series is a good read.
Anna
Jan 07, 2013 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has been a long time since I read the first book (I've been searching for this one since high school), but fromm what I remember, this is a good continuation. It only took me a few hours to read it and, overall, I liked the way it connected to the original but also looked at the situation in a different way.
Unknown
Sep 22, 2012 Unknown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book got me back into reading. It was one of the best books i had read in so long i truly liked and enjoyed. When i first go it I wouldnt let go of it, it was just so interesting. For some reason i felt like i conected with the main character Jared. Really great book to read i would recomend it.
Kayleigh
Nov 26, 2013 Kayleigh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book series was very good because it was very relatable. We all know what its like to be second best and almost all of us wish that we could get back at those perfect people who always win. This story shows getting back at them gone wrong!
Liz
Jul 16, 2013 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this even more than the first book. I could tell there was some distance between the first and second novels, and I really like Shusterman's writing style in his more recent books. Nice work.
Megan
Nov 27, 2013 Megan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was better than the first, but iI still didn't like it very much. I read this book with my class and I think it could have improved. I liked the ending the best it was my favorite part. Over all this book was okay.
  • Thumbelina
  • Sharing Susan
  • Comfort
  • Adam Canfield, Watch Your Back!
  • Girlhearts (Sarabeth, #2)
  • Revenge of the Loser (The Loser List #2)
  • The Lighthouse Keepers (Lighthouse Trilogy #3)
  • Letting Go
  • Klickitat
  • Takeoffs and Landings
  • Welcome Home, Jellybean
  • The Birthday Room
  • Si Janus Sílang at ang Labanáng Manananggal-Mambabarang (Janus Sílang, #2)
  • Crumbling Walls
  • Love & Sk8
  • Maine Squeeze: Maine Squeeze / Banana Splitsville
  • The Boy Who Owned the School
  • Experienced (Beautiful Americans, #3)
19564
Award-winning author Neal Shusterman grew up in Brooklyn, New York, where he began writing at an early age. After spending his junior and senior years of high school at the American School of Mexico City, Neal went on to UC Irvine, where he made his mark on the UCI swim team, and wrote a successful humor column. Within a year of graduating, he had his first book deal, and was hired to write a movi ...more
More about Neal Shusterman...

Shadow Club (2 books)
  • The Shadow Club (Shadow Club, #1)